• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Snarknado 1 - Why the top 25 sucks

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
giphy.gif

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Random.org...blah, blah. This morning's team is the #24 Boise State Broncos! The lovable, engine that could checks in barely in the top 25. Winner of 12 games last year, what's in store for the Broncos to disappaint their fans this year?
  • First and foremost, they have to play at San Jose State to close out the season. Automatic loss there. Nobody in the country has a more difficult game to close out the season.
  • What will be the offensive identity? Huge losses with Hedrick and Ajayi gone, as they comprised significant percentages of the offense in 2014.
  • 6 road games, including trips to BYU and Virginia, who probably have similar talent to the Broncos.
  • Special teams are no bueno for this bunch, losing their kicker and the return game was very pedestrian.
  • Simply not as dominant against inferior competition as they were in years past. Noted in inexplicable losses to Air Force and SDSU over the last 3 years. Who's the landmine this year?
More to come this afternoon with the 2nd team of the day.

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
As promised, ur second team of the day: #9 Georgia Bulldogs

giphy.gif

• First and foremost, you have to choose a QB whose name is either Brice or Grayson. Srsly.
  • Prior to last season, Georgia was +2 in turnover margin since 2008. In 2014? +16. Wat.
  • Draw Auburn and Alabama from the West, and have to end the season with arguably the best GT team since 2008.
  • Their top returning receiver is a dude named Jeb. I don't even have a joke here.
  • Meet the new offensive coordinator:
    867915009.gif
  • 3 of the top 4 tacklers are gone.
  • Mark Richt appeared in Facing the Giants. That alone has, and should, cost them at least 1 game per season since.
  • I'll predict Kentucky as the "tripping over our own dick" game of the UGA season.
  • Outside of running the football (which they will be great at), what do you trust this team to do well?
  • I mean, did you read the first bullet point? The fact that they are even considering starting a QB who couldn't cut it at Virginia should tell you all you need to know.
  • Marshall, Kolton, Jeb, Brice, Grayson, Brendan, Kendall, Aulden, Sage, Sterling...LAX BROZ 4 LYFE or HUNKER DOWN U HAIRY DAWGS?
9-3, and more rumblings for Tommy Bowden Mark Richt to be let go...

giphy.gif

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Today it's a closer look at #18 Wisconsin. An 11 win season and beat an ESS EE SEE team in a bowl game? Shirley you can't be serious that this team is going to suck?

giphy.gif

• Sconnie's defense allowed their fewest yards since 2007, but saw their points allowed increase to their highest since '90. What gives?
  • As usual, Wisconsin will be limited to their QB play, which directly correlates to the first point. a -9 TO ratio is to blame for the ppg allowed.
  • But the play should be better, right? Except that it won't. Stave regressed considerably in 2014, where he had the luxury of an excellent OL and the best RB in the country. Now, he's losing that RB, along with 2 1st team All B1G performers on the OL.
  • Only 11 returning starters. Losses include the Doak Walker Award winner, 2 1st team All-B1G OL, their best pass rusher, and the entire coaching staff.
  • Speaking of the new staff, enter Paul Chryst. He, of the "below .500 in the ACC" fame,
  • After the opener against Alabama, the schedule looks Charmin-soft. Until you realize that this team didn't play well on the road against vastly inferior competition. Then add in that they face arguably the 2nd and 3rd best B1G West teams on the road (Nebraska and Minnesota) and this looks like another 10-2 season at best, with 40 lbs of rape waiting in the B1G title game again, and a likely bowl loss.
Minimum of 4 losses for the Badgers. And with that schedule, that will not elicit happiness in Chryst's first year. I'll let this kind fan take it away:

giphy.gif

-YTC

PSUEagle

The coaching change should actually help Stave get better: going from Andy Ludwig to Paul Chryst as OC is a big upgrade IMO. Plus they retained Dave Aranda as DC, a guy who is one of the really good young coaches in the country.

Craig7835

As promised, ur second team of the day: #9 Georgia Bulldogs

giphy.gif

• First and foremost, you have to choose a QB whose name is either Brice or Grayson. Srsly.
  • Prior to last season, Georgia was +2 in turnover margin since 2008. In 2014? +16. Wat.
  • Draw Auburn and Alabama from the West, and have to end the season with arguably the best GT team since 2008.
  • Their top returning receiver is a dude named Jeb. I don't even have a joke here.
  • Meet the new offensive coordinator:
    867915009.gif
  • 3 of the top 4 tacklers are gone.
  • Mark Richt appeared in Facing the Giants. That alone has, and should, cost them at least 1 game per season since.
  • I'll predict Kentucky as the "tripping over our own dick" game of the UGA season.
  • Outside of running the football (which they will be great at), what do you trust this team to do well?
  • I mean, did you read the first bullet point? The fact that they are even considering starting a QB who couldn't cut it at Virginia should tell you all you need to know.
  • Marshall, Kolton, Jeb, Brice, Grayson, Brendan, Kendall, Aulden, Sage, Sterling...LAX BROZ 4 LYFE or HUNKER DOWN U HAIRY DAWGS?
9-3, and more rumblings for Tommy Bowden Mark Richt to be let go...

giphy.gif

-YTC

Well it's like I had said about Georgia in PSUEagle's post, the Dawg's offense is going to be classic Marty Ball-Power 0,Power 0,PA Pass & repeat. The best thing about them is the Pruitt Defense & looking at that team that I'm waiting for your in depth analysis on,Florida State really missed Pruitt

Craig7835

Let me add that Marty Ball 2.0 offense will also feature a "quarterback friendly offense" which means complicated terms & all that garbage. Ask the NY Jets fans about Brian Schottheimer

Wooly

Today it's a closer look at #18 Wisconsin. An 11 win season and beat an ESS EE SEE team in a bowl game? Shirley you can't be serious that this team is going to suck?

giphy.gif

• Sconnie's defense allowed their fewest yards since 2007, but saw their points allowed increase to their highest since '90. What gives?
  • As usual, Wisconsin will be limited to their QB play, which directly correlates to the first point. a -9 TO ratio is to blame for the ppg allowed.
  • But the play should be better, right? Except that it won't. Stave regressed considerably in 2014, where he had the luxury of an excellent OL and the best RB in the country. Now, he's losing that RB, along with 2 1st team All B1G performers on the OL.
  • Only 11 returning starters. Losses include the Doak Walker Award winner, 2 1st team All-B1G OL, their best pass rusher, and the entire coaching staff.
  • Speaking of the new staff, enter Paul Chryst. He, of the "below .500 in the ACC" fame,
  • After the opener against Alabama, the schedule looks Charmin-soft. Until you realize that this team didn't play well on the road against vastly inferior competition. Then add in that they face arguably the 2nd and 3rd best B1G West teams on the road (Nebraska and Minnesota) and this looks like another 10-2 season at best, with 40 lbs of rape waiting in the B1G title game again, and a likely bowl loss.
Minimum of 4 losses for the Badgers. And with that schedule, that will not elicit happiness in Chryst's first year. I'll let this kind fan take it away:

giphy.gif

-YTC
Pretty good analysis, Wiscy loses a lot, and it's always hard to lose a whole staff. However, I don't agree with knocking Chryst. He looks to be a very good coach to me, and especially at Wiscy. Give him two years and I think he has Wiscy in good shape. I am excited to see what Chryst can do at Wisconsin.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Now, it's time to tack on 3 pages of discussion. That's right, it's #11 Notre Dame!

giphy.gif

• Hey everyone...it's another team getting way too much hype for beating an overrated Ess Ee See team in a bowl game.
  • The schedule has problems: GT, @ Clemson, USC, @ Stanford to name a few. For a team that lost to Northwestern last year, we can't rule out others like @UVA, Navy, @Temple, and @ Pitt.
  • The special teams were gawd awful last year, and could be even worse, as freshmen are being counted on to improve the unit.
  • giphy.gif
  • 10 returning starters sounds nice, until you remember that ND gave up nearly 30 PPG last year. And that's with getting to face "offenses" like Michigan, Syracuse, and Stanford.
  • Everett Golson is gone and in steps Malik Zaire. For all of Golson's flaws, he had a lot to do with the success of ND's offense. To just assume that there is no drop off from an experienced senior who threw for nearly 3500 yards to an unproven true sophomore is....absurd.
  • If I ask you what this team will be great at, what's the answer? Because for a borderline top-10 team you would think that there is something they will be able to hang their hat on. What is it?
  • giphy.gif
  • 3 losses in the regular season, a better bowl than they deserve (shocking, I know) equals a 4 loss season. Which means that ND will enter 2016 as a playoff favorite.
-YTC

bruin

ASU ass ramming ND was one of the highlights of the CFB season to me last year. Even if it benefited that Guy Fieri wannabe Todd Graham.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Utopia is great. Whitey can't post the rest not because of work, but because he's leaving work.

I think there are still a lot of hurt feelings over the former periodical titled "Reel Report". It started out with great promise and the Nutopian Board of Directors really hyped it up. "This will increase our brand and bring in a new audience" and "Reel is our version of Bill Simmons with innovative content similar to the 30 for 30 series". There was even talk that he might start up a new venture with Jason Whitlock and the "Black Grantland".

I will be conducting a series of interviews of people who I think make this place rock. My hope is to eventually interview everyone, but I will start with some of the "older" members. If anyone is interested in being interviewed just shoot me a PM.

Alas it died a slow death and the Nutopian world has never quite recovered.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Puddles and pushups. Uniforms and underachieving. Dysentery and defensive lulz. It's time for the #5 Oregon Ducks!

giphy.gif

• Mariota was a once in a generation type of player who protected the football. His 3 years resulted in +21, +11 and +23 in turnover margin. There is no way that number stays as high in 2015.
  • Road trips to Michigan State, Arizona State and Stanford. Getting ASU, USC and Utah from the South could be worst case scenario.
  • Defense was more suspect than usual last year, especially in stopping the pass. 60% completion percentage allowed, 5.5 yards per play. Primary losses are in the secondary, which could spell disaster for the Ducks’ pass D.
  • Why is that a problem? Here’s who the Ducks will see: a likely top 10 pick (Connor Cook), a likely 1[sup]st[/sup] round pick (Jared Goff), an owner of 3900 yards passing with a 39-5 ratio (Kessler), the #1, #20, #26, #32, and #33 passing teams in 2014. Do shipping charges increase to the Pacific Northwest on 40 lb boxes?
  • giphy.gif
  • A much tougher schedule and the loss of an all-timer at QB equates to multiple regular season losses for the Ducks, and no hope of a playoff spot in 2015.
-YTC

Lightningwar

Administrator
I dont know man. That defense is ridiculous in creating turnovers. How many times have people seen a QB fumble like Winston and Jones did in back to back games? And there were also the tipped ball that fell into the defenders hands in both games. The rest of Oregons defense is a dumpster fire though.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think we might look back at this year and see it as what made Helfrich or what broke him. I'm not convinced by him as a coach. I think if you take away Mariota from that team the past 2 years, you're looking at a borderline top 25 team, considering the strength of the Pac 12. If Oregon has a mediocre QB this year, I could easily see them regressing quite a bit. I think the odds are decent that they find a good QB from what they have there. But if they don't, I think we look back on this year say that's what started the decline under Helfrich.

Brick

You're right, lightning, but I think whitey's argument is more turnover margin. Oregon only turned it over 11 times last year, leading the country.

However, national ranking in turnovers gained the past few years:

2014: #3
2013: #17
2012: #1
2011: #19
2010: #12
Mariota was a once in a generation type of player who protected the football. His 3 years resulted in +21, +11 and +23 in turnover margin. There is no way that number stays as high in 2015.

Three years before Mariota: +9, +13, +2. Not bad, but a difference for sure.

Pass defense is a question mark with a lot of youth at corner, for sure. Loss of vets like Ekpre-Olomu, Hill, Dargan. I think we'll learn a bit more about new DC Pellum in the second year. I'm more worried about the linebackers, honestly. Someone needs to break out to be a TFL/pass rush threat.

The good thing is Vernon Adams had an incredible ratio at Eastern Washington: 110 TD / 31 INT. Mariota was 105/14, which is one of the best in NCAA history.

Darron Thomas was 66/17 and even Masoli was 28/11 (14/13 @ Ole Miss). The system isn't very risky for passers.

If Oregon beats Michigan State they are set up to be 7-0 at the bye. Will be huge favorites in every game but MSU up until that point. Then it's:

@ ASU
Cal
@Stanford
USC

That is the stretch which will determine how their season goes.

Last edited:

Brick

I think we might look back at this year and see it as what made Helfrich or what broke him. I'm not convinced by him as a coach. I think if you take away Mariota from that team the past 2 years, you're looking at a borderline top 25 team, considering the strength of the Pac 12. If Oregon has a mediocre QB this year, I could easily see them regressing quite a bit. I think the odds are decent that they find a good QB from what they have there. But if they don't, I think we look back on this year say that's what started the decline under Helfrich.
This is fair. Especially early last year, Mariota dug them out of quite a few games. That Arizona loss at home was pretty inexcusable (to a true frosh QB), and his first season was an Alamo Bowl win. If Adams is merely good, the offense should be pretty unstoppable though. Even with Tyner out, this is by far the deepest they've ever been at all of the skill positions in my opinion.

I think we'll really have to wait until NEXT year, when there will definitely be a raw QB, and most of the pieces Helfrich inherited from Kelly will be gone. And if Frost is still a hot piece, I don't see him lasting much longer as OC.

I'm expecting a 10-2 regular season and a Pac-12 title game appearance (toss-up in that game, maybe). One of those losses being Michigan State, another being either a surprise (Wazzu/Cal at home passing for 600 yards), or @ASU, @ Furd, USC. They could definitely make the playoff though with one loss.

It will be interesting to see how Helfrich handles the Michigan State QB deal. It can be a pretty sticky situation. He needs to come out and name Adams a starter soon in my opinion. He can't waffle. There is no reason to bring him in for one year to wait on the bench for Lockie to mess up. Wonder what's going on in the locker room with that one.

People will excuse Adams flopping @ MSU and Helfrich bringing in Lockie to clean up the mess. People will NOT excuse Lockie fucking MSU up and Adams coming in too late. That's just the way it is. If they both suck, people will go nuts.

Last edited:

PSUEagle

Was Oregon really young at linebacker last year? Or are they going to be playing a bunch of newcomers? Either way, the crew they had back there sucked last season and was the biggest reason OSU (and FSU before they imploded) gashed them on the ground in the playoffs.

Pac 12 to me is wide open on both sides this season, to me. Think you can make a legitimate case for at least six teams (Stanford, Oregon, ASU, UA, UCLA, and USC): when has that league ever had this kind of depth? Conference should be at worst second best in the country this year.

Brick

Was Oregon really young at linebacker last year? Or are they going to be playing a bunch of newcomers? Either way, the crew they had back there sucked last season and was the biggest reason OSU (and FSU before they imploded) gashed them on the ground in the playoffs.
They were not young, and many of them are returning this year. They brought in two JUCOs I think, but I'm not expecting much. They were terrible in those games, yes.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Utah isn't ranked.

The Pac-12 has been at least the second best conference for the last few years, they have a shot to be the best this year depending on how the new QBs play at Oregon, UCLA, and ASU.