• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Snarknado 1 - Why the top 25 sucks

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I love moving bowling ball RBs to WR.

Brick

Lots of spread teams are using hybrid RB/WR guys these days. I don't think it will be an issue for ASU unless their RB depth is bad. Looks like outside of the loss of Strong, they still have 6 receivers returning with more than 10 catches and 100 yards each. Maybe they're just looking for a #1 guy? Foster had 688 receiving yards anyway last year.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Antwan Goodley at Baylor is (was?) a good example. That dude could play.

I didn't realize Baylor was coming back so stacked this season. That offense will most likely be a top ten squad.... again. Briles is a god.

I'm interested in tcu. Some think they will have a setback after losing some good players on defense. Patterson finds a way to keep that defense in gear though.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Lots of spread teams are using hybrid RB/WR guys these days. I don't think it will be an issue for ASU unless their RB depth is bad. Looks like outside of the loss of Strong, they still have 6 receivers returning with more than 10 catches and 100 yards each. Maybe they're just looking for a #1 guy? Foster had 688 receiving yards anyway last year.

Meyer has like these of guys at OSU that are scary as hell. And he just added Braxton Miller to that stable. Those guys are super valuable in a spread scheme, because they can stretch the defense deep, win a coverage matchup with a safety or linebacker, and be a running option with motion or on the triple option.

PSUEagle

ASU's defense was good in 2013, they just regressed last year because they lost so much. They'll be good again this year.

This.

@Brick Todd Graham's not a CEO type HC: he's been his own DC forever. He does do a nice job of identifying talented OC's, though: Malzahn, Hand, Morris, and now Norvell is a hell of a run that rivals anybody over the last ten years.

ASU's defense is an example of a team that's hard to scheme against, IMO. They run so many different fronts, pressures, exotic coverages, etc. There's some weaknesses (they're usually undersized and misdirection can kill them) but they're not a team I would look forward to going against.

Brick

@Brick Todd Graham's not a CEO type HC: he's been his own DC forever. He does do a nice job of identifying talented OC's, though: Malzahn, Hand, Morris, and now Norvell is a hell of a run that rivals anybody over the last ten years.
I knew he ran his own defense, but think he is good at delegating to others and creating program culture (however short lived).

Lightningwar

Administrator
I think Richt should've promoted the TE coach that was serving as OC in their bowl game last season as the permanent OC. I'm not a big fan of Schottenheimer's offense aka Marty Ball 2.0 because it's boring & remedial. I think Georgia will be pretty good this season depending on the offense,but the Pruitt Defense was point. Looking at Florida State's defense last year,you can they miss Pruitt calling the shots

Pruitt is a great up and coming coach. If UGA plays their cards right they can hand him the reigns in a few years. He is a UGA guy apparently. When the DC position opened up he was taking it regardless of what FSU threw at him. Our defense suffered because of it last year.

Brick

I watch the hell out of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and I'm not really sure why. I can't sit through any of the other countless restaurant tour shows. That and Chopped are my go-to background noise shows.

My favorite one was when they went to Guy's restaurant in Vegas and it had the most ridiculous menu items. Look at this shit: http://vegas.eater.com/2014/4/21/6237937/the-full-menu-prices-at-guy-fieris-vegas-kitchen-bar

What the fuck is a sidewinder cut fry?

The Off-Da-Hook Original Smash Burger $16
This burger is money! Crunchy righteous rojo rings, LTOP + the kicker- Guy's bourbon brown sugar BBQ sauce is sandwiched between a toasted brioche bun. It'll leave you in a food coma!

I don't know what any of that stuff is.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I hate when idiots put a bunch of sauce on a burger. It just makes the bun soggy as fuck.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I hate when idiots put a bunch of sauce on a burger. It just makes the bun soggy as fuck.

This.

My wife had a Memphis BBQ Burger at Burger 21 over the weekend. Beef burger, crispy onions, pulled pork, lettuce, tomato and BBQ sauce. It became a knife and fork burger when the sauce over-saturated the bun.

bruin

Graham is a very good coach. Can think of a number of programs that wish they would have hired him. (Tennessee, Michigan, Florida,etc)

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I watch the hell out of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and I'm not really sure why. I can't sit through any of the other countless restaurant tour shows. That and Chopped are my go-to background noise shows.

My favorite one was when they went to Guy's restaurant in Vegas and it had the most ridiculous menu items. Look at this shit: http://vegas.eater.com/2014/4/21/6237937/the-full-menu-prices-at-guy-fieris-vegas-kitchen-bar

What the fuck is a sidewinder cut fry?

The Off-Da-Hook Original Smash Burger $16
This burger is money! Crunchy righteous rojo rings, LTOP + the kicker- Guy's bourbon brown sugar BBQ sauce is sandwiched between a toasted brioche bun. It'll leave you in a food coma!

I don't know what any of that stuff is.

he does visit some cool places on diners, drive-ins, and dives, which is the only show of his that i watch.

sidewinder cut prolly means curly fries

rojo rings = red onion rings; LTOP is lettuce, tomaters, onions, and pickles. don't know why you need double onions but whatevs

bruin

rojo rings = red onion rings; LTOP is lettuce, tomaters, onions, and pickles. don't know why you need double onions but whatevs

kfnY1f2.gif

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
he does visit some cool places on diners, drive-ins, and dives, which is the only show of his that i watch.

sidewinder cut prolly means curly fries

What's donkey sauce doe?

Brick

I agree. They've had so many shows though, that some of the places are just terrible. The variety of places on there is what makes it interesting. Those specialized shows where they go 15 different places that make the same thing are really boring. The barbecue ones are probably the worst. Oh, they use this type of wood here wow! Har granmama's old special sauce recipe locked in safe har.

Bdub

Utah can easily be in the top 20.

Pac-12 South 4 teams in the top 25.
Utah has the best running back in the conference and one of the better defenses. If they can get decent QB play they match or exceed last years 9 wins. If not they will probably win 6 or 7. Less than 6 and Whittingham will get fired.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
giphy.gif

Today's school of scrutiny via random.org is the #2 TCU Horned Frogs. Expectations have been raised more than Gary Patterson's khakis. A team as hot as anyone at the end of last season, with 4 out of their last 5 games featuring a 21+ point win. A Heisman Trophy contender returns at QB along with 9 other starters on one of the most explosive offenses in CFB. But is there cause for concern in Fort Worth?
  • TCU's road woes: 4 of TCU's 5 worst games of 2015 in terms of net yards gained came on the road (@Baylor, @WVU, @Kansas, @Texas). Which leads to an important point:
  • 6 road games? 5 conference road games? Outside of a trip to Ames (even that has played spoiler in the past), TCU could lose any of the other 5 road games on this schedule, especially if the same issues rear their ugly heads as it did last year on the road.
  • A lot of talent is missing from a defense that was way better than you remembered in 2014. Only 5 returning starters highlight the woes for this defense. Only 1 of the top 7 tacklers returns for the Horned Frogs. Questions abound in the back 7, and in a conference where high octane offenses are the norm, that spells trouble.
  • No way, no how will TCU be as lucky as they were last year. To finish +18 in turnovers is absolutely absurd. Some regression to the mean will occur, and that alone may cost them a game or two.
  • If you are being picked as the #2 team in the country, then it is a pretty clear expectation that you have the best team in your own conference. Is that the case here? Is TCU really better than Baylor? If you answer that question with a definitive "yes," then you must be seeing something I'm not.
  • No more Dick Bumpas. Although the position has been filled with in-house candidates (the wonderful "Co-DC" designation), the combination of an inexperienced back 7 along with an inexperienced DC will likely equal a significant drop for this defense.
All in all, this looks more and more like a 2 loss team in 2015. Definitely an excellent season by TCU standards, but not anywhere near what a #2 ranking justifies. I'm sure the "experts" will continue selecting great things for TCU in 2015.

giphy.gif

Lightningwar

Administrator
I agree. They've had so many shows though, that some of the places are just terrible. The variety of places on there is what makes it interesting. Those specialized shows where they go 15 different places that make the same thing are really boring. The barbecue ones are probably the worst. Oh, they use this type of wood here wow! Har granmama's old special sauce recipe locked in safe har.

I always like the guys with their super secret hot sauce from great great grandpa around the civil war. Shows them pouring in 1 gallon of franks hot sauce(introduced in 1920) and a couple extra spices. How innovative!

Anyways the BBQ guys probably use 95% Famous Daves or something.

Brick

• TCU's road woes: 4 of TCU's 5 worst games of 2015 in terms of net yards gained came on the road (@Baylor, @WVU, @Kansas, @Texas). Which leads to an important point:
  • 6 road games? 5 conference road games? Outside of a trip to Ames (even that has played spoiler in the past), TCU could lose any of the other 5 road games on this schedule, especially if the same issues rear their ugly heads as it did last year on the road.
Was that a money road trip or what?

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Even as a near hypertaster, eggs are pretty inoffensive. Guy is a tard.

Heisman06

We did a knock-off version of DDD in college where we went to a local restaurant and filmed/interviewed. Got some free grub out of it.

Bama

giphy.gif

Today's school of scrutiny via random.org is the #2 TCU Horned Frogs. Expectations have been raised more than Gary Patterson's khakis. A team as hot as anyone at the end of last season, with 4 out of their last 5 games featuring a 21+ point win. A Heisman Trophy contender returns at QB along with 9 other starters on one of the most explosive offenses in CFB. But is there cause for concern in Fort Worth?
  • A lot of talent is missing from a defense that was way better than you remembered in 2014. Only 5 returning starters highlight the woes for this defense. Only 1 of the top 7 tacklers returns for the Horned Frogs. Questions abound in the back 7, and in a conference where high octane offenses are the norm, that spells trouble.
  • No way, no how will TCU be as lucky as they were last year. To finish +18 in turnovers is absolutely absurd. Some regression to the mean will occur, and that alone may cost them a game or two.
  • If you are being picked as the #2 team in the country, then it is a pretty clear expectation that you have the best team in your own conference. Is that the case here? Is TCU really better than Baylor? If you answer that question with a definitive "yes," then you must be seeing something I'm not.
  • No more Dick Bumpas. Although the position has been filled with in-house candidates (the wonderful "Co-DC" designation), the combination of an inexperienced back 7 along with an inexperienced DC will likely equal a significant drop for this defense.
All in all, this looks more and more like a 2 loss team in 2015. Definitely an excellent season by TCU standards, but not anywhere near what a #2 ranking justifies. I'm sure the "experts" will continue selecting great things for TCU in 2015.

Couple of things here:

- Bumpas was a god when it came to the DL. He was "defensive coordinator" in name only...Patterson called plays, adjusted coverages, communicated with the LBs/S/CB. But I seriously doubt there is a better DL coach in CFB than Bumpas was. The only high level recruit Bumpas ever coached -- Devonte Fields -- dominated the Big12 as a true freshman before punching his ex-GFs lights out and getting expelled. I wouldn't worry about the entire defense...but if any area may be hurting, it will be the front 4.

- I'd expect TO margin to go down...but I wouldn't expect it to go negative, or really be that close to 0. Before 2013, the last time a TCU team finished with a negative turnover margin was 2007. GP's defenses have always forced turnovers, and with the experience back on offense and a full year-plus in the new system -- which minimizes risk -- I wouldn't expect TCU to perform poorly in the turnover department.

- Is TCU better than Baylor? I don't know how you could watch the game they played against each other last season and think that TCU was not better than Baylor. Yes, Baylor won the game...after being dominated for 50 minutes. The score was 58-37 with 10:40 left. It took a monumental - historic - collapse for TCU to lose (not to mention a heinous Pass Interference call that set up the winning FG).

Then let's also not forget just how thoroughly TCU dominated similar competition (minus KU and OU), and also the bowl game. Michigan State was probably a better opponent than Ole Miss...they sure as hell weren't 40 points better, and it's not like TCU had some extra motivation that Baylor didn't. Plus, Frogs were playing a de facto road game, while Baylor was an hour from home.

- If the Frogs are gonna lose a non-Baylor game, it will be against OU. It's the week before the BU game (6 days to be exact; BU/TCU is on Black Friday); Frogs needed some miraculous turnovers and a 4th&1 stop of Perine to beat the Sooners in Ft Worth last year, and I believe Oklahoma will be significantly better this season despite everyone being down on them for a pathetic finish. I really can't see any other team beating TCU this season. Tech = LOL. OKSt = overhype special. KState = can anyone name 5 players on their team? I got Baby Gronk and Charles Jones...that's it. I know Snyder is a miracle worker but prime Michael Bishop and Darren Sproles may not even be able to take that dumpster fire to a bowl game.

Is this a top-3 team based on talent alone? Probably not. Frankly you could argue that Texas A&M has a more talented roster top-to-bottom and it'd be hard to say otherwise. But the Big 12 is still pretty poopy, the non-conference schedule is a joke again, the offense is absolutely loaded, and TCU has one of the premier defensive minds in the game as an HC. A loss before November would be absolutely shocking, and anything fewer than 11 wins would be a disappointment. I still think a B12 team will have to run the table to get into the CFP.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
a football player assaulting a womens no way

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Couple of things here:

- Bumpas was a god when it came to the DL. He was "defensive coordinator" in name only...Patterson called plays, adjusted coverages, communicated with the LBs/S/CB. But I seriously doubt there is a better DL coach in CFB than Bumpas was. The only high level recruit Bumpas ever coached -- Devonte Fields -- dominated the Big12 as a true freshman before punching his ex-GFs lights out and getting expelled. I wouldn't worry about the entire defense...but if any area may be hurting, it will be the front 4.

- I'd expect TO margin to go down...but I wouldn't expect it to go negative, or really be that close to 0. Before 2013, the last time a TCU team finished with a negative turnover margin was 2007. GP's defenses have always forced turnovers, and with the experience back on offense and a full year-plus in the new system -- which minimizes risk -- I wouldn't expect TCU to perform poorly in the turnover department.

- Is TCU better than Baylor? I don't know how you could watch the game they played against each other last season and think that TCU was not better than Baylor. Yes, Baylor won the game...after being dominated for 50 minutes. The score was 58-37 with 10:40 left. It took a monumental - historic - collapse for TCU to lose (not to mention a heinous Pass Interference call that set up the winning FG).

Then let's also not forget just how thoroughly TCU dominated similar competition (minus KU and OU), and also the bowl game. Michigan State was probably a better opponent than Ole Miss...they sure as hell weren't 40 points better, and it's not like TCU had some extra motivation that Baylor didn't. Plus, Frogs were playing a de facto road game, while Baylor was an hour from home.

- If the Frogs are gonna lose a non-Baylor game, it will be against OU. It's the week before the BU game (6 days to be exact; BU/TCU is on Black Friday); Frogs needed some miraculous turnovers and a 4th&1 stop of Perine to beat the Sooners in Ft Worth last year, and I believe Oklahoma will be significantly better this season despite everyone being down on them for a pathetic finish. I really can't see any other team beating TCU this season. Tech = LOL. OKSt = overhype special. KState = can anyone name 5 players on their team? I got Baby Gronk and Charles Jones...that's it. I know Snyder is a miracle worker but prime Michael Bishop and Darren Sproles may not even be able to take that dumpster fire to a bowl game.

Is this a top-3 team based on talent alone? Probably not. Frankly you could argue that Texas A&M has a more talented roster top-to-bottom and it'd be hard to say otherwise. But the Big 12 is still pretty poopy, the non-conference schedule is a joke again, the offense is absolutely loaded, and TCU has one of the premier defensive minds in the game as an HC. A loss before November would be absolutely shocking, and anything fewer than 11 wins would be a disappointment. I still think a B12 team will have to run the table to get into the CFP.
  • So, I'm supposed to be (potentially) worried about the front 4, when the significant losses were in the back 7? To me, that doesn't sound like a good combination to me.
  • That was my point. Nobody expects it to plummet to a negative number (or even to single digits) but even reducing that number by 8 could signal an additional loss or two for the Horned Frogs.
  • Outgained by almost 300 yards and had 16 fewer first downs. Yep, looks like dominance to me. In such control and domination of the contest that after going up 3 TD's in the 4th, TCU promptly allowed touchdown drives of 0:59, 1:23 and 0:59. Such dominance, much excellence. How do I defense? Only a pure homer could watch that affair and declare that the losing team was the better one.
  • Which recent team has taken a surprising major bowl win blowout and parlayed it into meeting inflated expectations the following year? Oklahoma in 2014? Texas A&M in 2013? West Virginia in 2012? I'm willing to learn here. Help educate me.
  • Again, until TCU proves to me that they can be as successful on the road in the Big XII, I will continue to wonder about their ceiling. Plus, you add in the point that TCU isn't sneaking up on anyone this year, and they could easily lose 1 or 2 of their road games this year.
-YTC

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
where da podcast at tho

Bama

• So, I'm supposed to be (potentially) worried about the front 4, when the significant losses were in the back 7? To me, that doesn't sound like a good combination to me.
  • That was my point. Nobody expects it to plummet to a negative number (or even to single digits) but even reducing that number by 8 could signal an additional loss or two for the Horned Frogs.
  • Outgained by almost 300 yards and had 16 fewer first downs. Yep, looks like dominance to me. In such control and domination of the contest that after going up 3 TD's in the 4th, TCU promptly allowed touchdown drives of 0:59, 1:23 and 0:59. Such dominance, much excellence. How do I defense? Only a pure homer could watch that affair and declare that the losing team was the better one.
  • Which recent team has taken a surprising major bowl win blowout and parlayed it into meeting inflated expectations the following year? Oklahoma in 2014? Texas A&M in 2013? West Virginia in 2012? I'm willing to learn here. Help educate me.
  • Again, until TCU proves to me that they can be as successful on the road in the Big XII, I will continue to wonder about their ceiling. Plus, you add in the point that TCU isn't sneaking up on anyone this year, and they could easily lose 1 or 2 of their road games this year.
-YTC

- "Significant" losses? Depends on how you define that. TCU has been churning out no-name LBs for the better part of a decade now; Paul Dawson was good but also kind of a knucklehead. IMO the most signficant loss on the defense was DT Chucky Hunter. CB Kevin White was very good, but small. Chris Hackett and Sam Carter loved to gamble and got burned more than they should have.

- LOL offensive stats. Box score scouting at its finest. TCU scored on a pick-6 and a kick return (btw you'd be hard-pressed to find a team consistently better on special teams). Do you know many seconds of the game Baylor led? 0. Exactly zero seconds. But yes, they were much better. Also RE: penalties...Baylor did their usual thing: 12-117. TCU averaged less than 60 penalty yds per game last season and somehow managed to compile 110 in that game. HMMMMMMMMM

There was also the inexplicable time management at the end of the 1st half that led to a fumbled snap of a punt and allowed Baylor to kick an FG at halftime...and the braindead fade playcalls with a 2TD lead throughout the 2nd half. It was a comedy of errors and a very poorly officiated game, but in 99.97% of instances where a team leads by 21 with 85% of the game over, that team wins. Because they have been clearly better for an overwhelming majority of that game.

- How many of those teams were 12-1 and led the nation in MOV? Oh right, none. In all of those other instances, people weren't arguing that those teams were among the top in the nation the previous season. It was certainly debatable that TCU was among the top 4 last year, and regardless of how you felt about Ohio State, it made zero sense for a team to win its final game of the season by 52 points and drop multiple spots in the CFP poll. With the entire offense back it makes sense to expect big things from TCU this year.

- "As successful" on the road? That'd be impossible. They outscored teams by 32 PPG at home. The majority of those games were over at halftime. Every single contending team will scuffle at one point (or more) in the season; even '01 Miami did. TCU had extremely good fortune in 2 games (@WVU and vs OU), extremely bad fortune in 1 (@Baylor) and basically didn't show up for a 4th (@KU). The rest of the games weren't competitive. With 3 of those games at home this year, I suspect that number (competitive games: 4) to decrease. BU, @OU and @OKST are the only games that the Frogs even have a chance of being a 'dog in (excluding significant injuries).

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
- "Significant" losses? Depends on how you define that. TCU has been churning out no-name LBs for the better part of a decade now; Paul Dawson was good but also kind of a knucklehead. IMO the most signficant loss on the defense was DT Chucky Hunter. CB Kevin White was very good, but small. Chris Hackett and Sam Carter loved to gamble and got burned more than they should have.

- LOL offensive stats. Box score scouting at its finest. TCU scored on a pick-6 and a kick return (btw you'd be hard-pressed to find a team consistently better on special teams). Do you know many seconds of the game Baylor led? 0. Exactly zero seconds. But yes, they were much better. Also RE: penalties...Baylor did their usual thing: 12-117. TCU averaged less than 60 penalty yds per game last season and somehow managed to compile 110 in that game. HMMMMMMMMM

There was also the inexplicable time management at the end of the 1st half that led to a fumbled snap of a punt and allowed Baylor to kick an FG at halftime...and the braindead fade playcalls with a 2TD lead throughout the 2nd half. It was a comedy of errors and a very poorly officiated game, but in 99.97% of instances where a team leads by 21 with 85% of the game over, that team wins. Because they have been clearly better for an overwhelming majority of that game.

- How many of those teams were 12-1 and led the nation in MOV? Oh right, none. In all of those other instances, people weren't arguing that those teams were among the top in the nation the previous season. It was certainly debatable that TCU was among the top 4 last year, and regardless of how you felt about Ohio State, it made zero sense for a team to win its final game of the season by 52 points and drop multiple spots in the CFP poll. With the entire offense back it makes sense to expect big things from TCU this year.

- "As successful" on the road? That'd be impossible. They outscored teams by 32 PPG at home. The majority of those games were over at halftime. Every single contending team will scuffle at one point (or more) in the season; even '01 Miami did. TCU had extremely good fortune in 2 games (@WVU and vs OU), extremely bad fortune in 1 (@Baylor) and basically didn't show up for a 4th (@KU). The rest of the games weren't competitive. With 3 of those games at home this year, I suspect that number (competitive games: 4) to decrease. BU, @OU and @OKST are the only games that the Frogs even have a chance of being a 'dog in (excluding significant injuries).
  • Here's how I'd define significant: 6 of the top 7 tacklers from last season are gone. 6 of the projected starters on this year's defense have never started a game for TCU. If you want to spin that somehow into some type of conversation about how those guys gone weren't very good, have at it. As a neutral observer, those appear to be significant losses.
  • I never said that Baylor was better than TCU. Ur reading comprehension skills seem to be quite lacking in ur old age. I asked how anyone could watch that game and definitively declare TCU to be the better team when a very easy case could be made for either squad. Then you add in the fact that Baylor is returning just as much, if not more than TCU is, and it is a valid question to ask who the best team in the conference is. I'm guessing that in those 99.97% of instances mentioned, that the leading team didn't allow 3 TD drives of under 90 seconds. But by all means, please blame the officials...
  • You aren't going to get an argument from me about anOSU. They were the least deserving of all the possible playoff participants. It's hard to ignore the recent trend of teams who are getting a "bowl bump" into National Title talk, and then falling flat on their faces the next season. Spin it away if you'd like, but the trend still exists. Does it mean that TCU will suffer the same fate? Absolutely not. But it does give a neutral analyst a reason for pause.
  • I understand that close games happen. I understand that those games are more likely to happen when on the road. That's why the schedule has me thinking it's a 2 loss team this year in Fort Worth. 6 road games is not an insignificant number. I wouldn't care if it was Alabama, anOSU, or anyone...playing half of your games on the road in 2015 is definitely a valid concern. Now, is TCU better than those teams? Yes, I believe they are. But it took tremendous luck to win 2 of their 4 "loseable" road games last year. Can we really expect the same level of luck in 2015 with 5 (maybe 6) "loseable" road games this year? You said yourself that you expect the turnover margin to diminish. Is it that unfathomable that it could result in an unexpected loss?
-YTC