• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup Group D (England, Costa, Urgay, Italy)

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Ok going through the top teams rosters, I get what you are saying, as the top teams are sub 50% English player. I still think that speaks more to the overratedness of English talent.
I agree with that I just think it'd be good for English players to leave the country/maybe for the FA if they reely wanted to help the National Team to make stricter rules on amount of England players they play. Of course that wouldn't be popular with the huge clubs that barely ever even play English players anymore so I doubt they'd even consider it.

doh

So English players should go abroad, yes
IMO they should go where they can play especially the mid-tier guys… I think my main point was the high level of the EPL is screwing English football because the teams are bringing in the best foreign players who are squeezing out English players who aren't superstars who could become useful.

Just looking at all the English call-ups they're almost all EPL so looks like maybe pressure to stay there?

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
But most countries guys will come up through their youth team (and if they aren't the elite elite guys) play with that team for a while before moving onto another team. Some guys develop later not everyone is a superstar when they're 20 especially roles players. If not that many guys get to play in the EPL then how are you suppose to find lesser level guys who fill gaps and could eventually find their form/fitness right before a WC? Also the less guys from your country who play the less chances that one of them becomes good without consistent game experience.

I'm not familiar enough to know if the fringe type English guys just go to Dempsey level Championship or other countries though...

Yeah, the second point is the thing I question. I know there are guys who have gone overseas before (Beckham, Michael Owen) and there are guys who could have gone overseas (Rooney, Gerrard) but are that next level guy able to go over to a Bundesliga or Serie A and get good playing time on a mid level club?

I think the good comparison is that it's good for America to have national league, but the best American players should be getting playing time in a higher level foreign club for the level of American soccer to improve.

Chase

Ingerland media making Rooney the scapegoat, shocker. :laughing:

Bqh4ytRCEAAacUI.jpg

Renegade

Charge on!
England slobs the knob of the top EPL clubs and ignores top level talent on many of the lower tier clubs. #RyanShawcross Exactly 4 players on the team not from one of the big clubs.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
Sirius brings the hammer. England is not good enough to compete at this level

ZeekLTK

Europeans love to give Americans shit about only speaking 1 language, but how many Brits speak a second language either? I feel like one of the reasons few of them play abroad is because it's much more difficult for an English-only speaker to learn another language in their 20s or 30s as opposed to someone who already speaks 2-3 languages coming to England and learning English (a language they probably already have familiarity with anyways).

Much easier for people like Drogba or Torres to go to England than Gerrard or Lampard to go play in France, Spain, or Italy - linguistically at least.

At least for American players, there are other countries where English is widely spoken - Scandinavia, Low Countries, etc. But an American playing in Denmark or Belgium is considered good for development. I feel like an English player playing in Denmark or Belgium would probably be looked down on due to the reputation of those leagues - people would say "why play for Copenhagen when you could play for Sunderland instead?" or whatever.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Europeans love to give Americans shit about only speaking 1 language, but how many Brits speak a second language either? I feel like one of the reasons few of them play abroad is because it's much more difficult for an English-only speaker to learn another language in their 20s or 30s as opposed to someone who already speaks 2-3 languages coming to England and learning English (a language they probably already have familiarity with anyways).

Much easier for people like Drogba or Torres to go to England than Gerrard or Lampard to go play in France, Spain, or Italy - linguistically at least.

At least for American players, there are other countries where English is widely spoken - Scandinavia, Low Countries, etc. But an American playing in Denmark or Belgium is considered good for development. I feel like an English player playing in Denmark or Belgium would probably be looked down on due to the reputation of those leagues - people would say "why play for Copenhagen when you could play for Sunderland instead?" or whatever.

Brits don't give us shit about it because they do it too. Anglophones just don't really learn second languages.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'm pretty sure Cherysev is the only one right now. TBF I always figured it was because the RPL has national quotas and thus they're paid more to stay in Russia.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Honestly, the blame should be on Roy for not man marking Pirlo in the first game. Costa Rica are doing it today and it shows. The man isn't infallible, but you have to pressure him.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
USA punching their ticket with a draw/win while England taking their leave with a draw between Costa Rica and Italy... #SignOfTheTimes

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Brits don't give us shit about it because they do it too. Anglophones just

Especially since virtually every football player in Ingerland comes from a working class family. Our middle classes, unlike the Americans, are very well educated. If you are blue collar and play football, are you really going to choose to play in mainland Europe with a bunch of people that don't speak Ingerlish and eat weird food, or are you going to stay in Ingerland in the best league in the world and eat fish an chips every night with ur friends?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Honestly the amazing thing about this team is that they're missing two of their best players to injury (Oviedo and Saborio). Group of Death indeed.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
So that Italy Uruguay game is gonna be fun. Uruguay needs a win to go through, right? Bart Scott.

doh

100% serious: does CONCACAF get 4 or 4.5 bids next WC if this continues? They should certainly get at least a half bid from CAF and/or AFC

doh

Obviously CONCACAF has more money than any CAF country can give but dat oil money in AFC might be hard to top...