• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup Group D (England, Costa, Urgay, Italy)

Renegade

Charge on!
Obviously CONCACAF has more money than any CAF country can give but dat oil money in AFC might be hard to top...

Yeah, CONCACAF is making a case for 4.5 and CAF should cede a whole seed. Half to UEFA and half to CONCACAF. Would be a better case if Honduras can pick up at least a point or two though. You can make a strong case that USA-Mexico-CR have been good squads for awhile, but that there's no compelling 4th, much less 5th, teams most years. Though I did enjoy when Trinidad was there in 2006. It'd help if Canada could get their shit together, because the Central American teams seem to be about as good as they're going to be.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Yeah, CONCACAF is making a case for 4.5 and CAF should cede a whole seed. Half to UEFA and half to CONCACAF. Would be a better case if Honduras can pick up at least a point or two though. You can make a strong case that USA-Mexico-CR have been good squads for awhile, but that there's no compelling 4th, much less 5th, teams most years. Though I did enjoy when Trinidad was there in 2006. It'd help if Canada could get their shit together, because the Central American teams seem to be about as good as they're going to be.
Yep Canada could be really good but seems to just have a disaster of a confederation/can't even get to the hex. But playing their matches in Toronto that HFA on the turf plus their skill players IMO could advance again if they ever got into the hex. They just are awful when they go to Central American/Caribbean countries. But between their resources, population and access to MLS they should be a lot better.

Usually every cycle there is a Honduras/Panama that is in form for some matches and have 1-2 players who start in big leagues. If you look at some of the lower AFC/CAF teams that make it they're as good as those squads.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If we're seeded in 4 years I will eat a hat. We all know that even if we make the Top 7 Fifa will change the rules at their own whim.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If it prevents Greece form making the World Cup I'm cool with it.

Realistically once China, India, Canada, Australia, Turkey, Indonesia, etc. Get their stuff together and actually reach their soccer potential the tournament will probably just need to expand to 36 or 48.

Renegade

Charge on!
If it prevents Greece form making the World Cup I'm cool with it.

Realistically once China, India, Canada, Australia, Turkey, Indonesia, etc. Get their stuff together and actually reach their soccer potential the tournament will probably just need to expand to 36 or 48.

More play-ins, just like the NCAA tourney.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
As an official representative of FIFA, I think we should increase the representation of our African friends by 3 teams.

ZeekLTK

There should be more intercontinental playoffs anyways. Take like 1 spot from each confederation and have a bunch of play-in games. That's 5 + 2 already... so you need 14 teams.

Playoff field: 2 UEFA teams, 2 CONMEBOL teams, 3 CONCACAF teams, 3 AFC, 4 CAF teams. Randomly match up opponents (can't play teams from your continent).

UEFA would then have 12 automatic spots and could earn as many as 14.
CONMEBOL would have 4 automatic spots and could earn as many as 6.
CONCACAF would have 2 automatic spots and could earn as many as 5.
AFC would have 3 automatic spots and could earn as many as 6.
CAF would have 4 automatic spots and could earn as many as 8.

Or something like that.:thumbsup:

Chase

CONCACAF would have 2 automatic spots and could earn as many as 5.
CAF would have 4 automatic spots and could earn as many as 8.

389.gif

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
It isn't the worst idea but CONC should have 3 auto bids, and play all of those playoff games at the actual cup itself. Let the 4th spot in each group be "playoff winner A/B/C/D" etc. Boom problem solved. (5 team groups would be kinda dumb unless there were 48 teams going into a 32 team knockout round)

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Greece should automatically qualify for every tournament. UEFA needs another bid. AFC needs like 2 total.

Snorky's Shame

It isn't the worst idea but CONC should have 3 auto bids, and play all of those playoff games at the actual cup itself. Let the 4th spot in each group be "playoff winner A/B/C/D" etc. Boom problem solved. (5 team groups would be kinda dumb unless there were 48 teams going into a 32 team knockout round)

48 team World Cup? Shit, don't give FIFA any ideas.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
There was something in Euro 2012 that turned me onto the Italians. I don't know exactly what it was, but before then I was rooting against them; now I find myself liking the Italians.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I like Mario, Verratti, and Matteo Darmian. I actually don't mind Suarez and would probably like him if he didn't play for a fellow title challenger.