• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Are you a legitimate BACKUP?! The TRANSFER PORTAL thread

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
And yet a better pass rush than THE GREATEST SQUAD OF ALL TIME. Sounds like Cigar Boy has left the CUPBOARD BARE

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Really cool though that ya’ll decided to have some fun at my expense on Christmas weekend. Eat a bag of dicks.
Yes it's everyone else's fault that you kept arguing with PRICK for 6 hours straight starting at 6AM this morning

plz-stop-post.jpg

bruin

Maalik Murphy to Duke. Great get for DIAZ. Would’ve loved to see him under CHIP. Oh well. GARBERS SZN

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
If USC is in trouble what are we in at17th out of the 18 B1G teams in terms of class quality? We're only ahead of Northwestern with a first year HC.

Also it's way too early in the portal era to say that HS recruiting still matters. The top programs get their pick of transfers AND HS recruits. So it's hard to isolate the effectiveness of good HS recruiting. On top of that, it's harder for teams to develop players because it's going to get harder to keep them.

Unless Shad Khan decides to prop up this program almost single handedly, we're fucked and just gonna ride the B1G cash wave as long as we can.

Mame YO

slings rocks
If USC is in trouble what are we in at17th out of the 18 B1G teams in terms of class quality? We're only ahead of Northwestern with a first year HC.

Also it's way too early in the portal era to say that HS recruiting still matters. The top programs get their pick of transfers AND HS recruits. So it's hard to isolate the effectiveness of good HS recruiting. On top of that, it's harder for teams to develop players because it's going to get harder to keep them.

Unless Shad Khan decides to prop up this program almost single handedly, we're fucked and just gonna ride the B1G cash wave as long as we can.
Most of the top programs are still like 70-80%+ HS CROOTS. If you land a generational talent as a top program, they’re going to start for you and get NIL, and they aren’t likely to transfer.

FWIW I think the current consensus is that you should be building the nucleus of your roster from HS, especially along the lines, and filling holes with the portal. That might change at some point but most of the top programs are operating that way.

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Most of the top programs are still like 70-80%+ HS CROOTS. If you land a generational talent as a top program, they’re going to start for you and get NIL, and they aren’t likely to transfer.

FWIW I think the current consensus is that you should be building the nucleus of your roster from HS, especially along the lines, and filling holes with the portal. That might change at some point but most of the top programs are operating that way.

I would agree with the lines, but we literally had Tommy DeVito commit to use form the portal when we still had fucking Tony Petersen as OC, and then after hiring Lunney he has the most accurate passing season in school history.

It's one of those things that I think will balance out over time.

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?

I think that HS recruiting is still obviously the preferred way to build a progrum. While transfers may bring a lot of experience, that experience is usually in a different system, different coaches, vastly different teammates, different everything. There is almost inevitably going to be some lag or difficulty in translating that experience to a new setting. The more transfer portal guys are added, the bigger the crapshoot that everything will work out well.

My reference point is LSU - our most successful transfers in recent memory are Burrow and Daniels. Even these guys, who are clearly among the most supremely talented and dedicated CFB players of the past 20 years, had huge ups and downs (and were frankly not that impressive at times) in their first seasons.

Also looking to LSU as the team that I know best, we’ve been patching together defenses the last few years with a significant number of transfers. In 2022, that worked out decently, then there was a huge influx of new transfers and freshmen with limited experience in our system. Even an all Pac-12 guy like Omar Speights looked bad on that defense in 2023. I think the consistency is much more difficult when your experienced players are new to the system and setting.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT

In this brave new world of NIL, I kinda wonder when the first player who transferred wherever he got paid the most, but never started or got any significant playing time - will just retire off the earnings he got from CFB. It's a win-win: he makes a ton of NIL money going from program to program, but doesn't get CTE!

The top teams will be able to keep their top players because they'll be paying them top dollar.

So basically, it shall be as it always has been, only much more transparent and above board now.

Mame YO

slings rocks
roster construction doesn’t matter. You can pull in a class of slow white dudes and corch them to a championship.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I am very boomery about my judeo christian names. All these goofy portmanteaus need to go. I would rather see 600 more dudes named Lil'Jordan. At least that's creative/weird.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Talented young db Cole Martin, son of corch MEAT, enters the portal. This one kind of sucks, I was excited to see how good he could get. He played in a backup role as a true freshman this year and got his first INT against @digs. Oregon is loaded with young guys at the position and they have more dudes coming in this year too. Since his dad is db corch I can imagine him just being straight and telling him he is buried on the depth chart or isn’t going to play in his preferred spot idk. It’s kind of like with Dowdell. He will be good somewhere frfr.

Oregon still has a few too many scholarships so there will be some more attrition.