• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2064 Season Thread

Wolfman21

SL playoffs gonna be a crapshoot this season even moreso than normal. Never seen 1-4 this close almost 100 games into the season

Wolfman21

can't believe it took wooly all these years to realize that Hayne should be a starter...even after calling him out on it like 3 seasons ago. Talkin about an all-time great starter that didn't get his first starts till he was 28. SMH

Wolfman21

speaking of mismanaging pitching, @Wooly, if you're not gonna play Bernard Petitjean......trade him to me. Ill give you a 1st rounder for him. His ratings could have him pitching in AA and hes still in your IC

Wooly

can't believe it took wooly all these years to realize that Hayne should be a starter...even after calling him out on it like 3 seasons ago. Talkin about an all-time great starter that didn't get his first starts till he was 28. SMH

Nah, that's revisionist history.

Both Kayne and Lucatoni only had two pitches until late in their development, until after they reached WBL in their mid 20s. Both suddenly developed a 3rd great pitch out of nowhere, in about a years time. That is why they were both Relievers to start with (and they were always going to be with 2 pitches ). I already had a the best staff in the league for several years, so it's not easy to just throw them into the rotation when you have SPs who are performing well. Not to mention, that 3rd pitch was so surprising that I was not sure it was real or would last, so I was reluctant to mess with the situation I had; arguably the best starting rotation and bullpen in the league. Hayne was like 26 when that 3rd pitch appeared, it was not even a decent potential pitch before that. And, Hayne was perhaps the best Closer in the game. I had Dave Christian still pitching well back then too, and getting paid well to do it. No need to go messing with that staff, putting some other great SP down to the bullpen and bringing Hayne out of the closer role, until there was actually a spot open. This was the year to do that, and Hayne is STILL only my third best starter.

This is another reason I am not rushing Sinner (Petitjean) out of INT. He still needs time to get his Control increased, and I have a very full pitching staff right now. If I slow play him I get the best of both worlds, another elite SP with time to develop and break into the WBL when I actually need him (which is not right now), giving me more years of low cost pitching from him. I can keep my elite staff now, and then Sinner can work his way up to the WBL by the time he is 24 or so, giving me 5-6 years of fully developed, relatively cheap elite SP. He won't get to FA until he is 30. In my situation, why rush him?

Wooly

Same shit, different year from @Wooly in A
To be honest, I have not paid much attention to my A squad in like 3-4 years. I put a few new prospects into the spots they needed, and cut a bunch of guys just to get down to like 50 players, but didn't want to spend more time on it. I will gladly donate my A ball trophy to charity if I win it this year. Shame on me.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
To be honest, I have not paid much attention to my A squad in like 3-4 years. I put a few new prospects into the spots they needed, and cut a bunch of guys just to get down to like 50 players, but didn't want to spend more time on it. I will gladly donate my A ball trophy to charity if I win it this year. Shame on me.

It's not about the wins, dipshit.

Wooly

Those third pitches took so long to develop because you had them in the pen :laughing:

They never even had potential third pitches though.

They had two pitches with good or better potential (50+). Any other pitches had potentials 40 or less. Therefore I planned on them being in the pen, just like we sort out any other pitchers. SP have the potential for 3 or more pitches of 50+, everyone else is slated for pen. Lucatoni and Hayne suddenly had a third pitch appear way beyond their potential, according to OSA. I always go by OSA too, not my scout, because I usually have my scouting budget close to zero, and I assume my scout is completely unreliable. Scouting potentials are so hit and miss that I generally ignore them. OSA said these guys never had the potential to be starters, then one day they did, but it didn't happen until they were already at the WBL and in their mid 20s. I don't remember well if my scout had a potential 3rd pitch over 50, but probably not either. I used to pay a lot of attention to almost all of my players, and I don't recall either Hayne or Lucatoni having any chance to be anything other than RPs, albeit elite ones.

In fact, for both pitchers, the third pitch didn't happen for either until they were very successful RPs with all the other potentials fully developed and pitching at an elite level. Then, one year, the third pitch just came on all of the sudden. I wonder if pitching at an elite level in the pen is what prompted the development of the other pitch. I wonder if that third pitch was hidden and allowed to come out with their RP success. If that is the case, then it's a good thing they were in the pen. If they were starters with only two pitches, potential or otherwise, maybe they would not have been successful and allowed the third pitch to emerge.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If they have 50+ stamina they are starters until the WBL where they can be sorted if they are truly relievers. You don't have 6 potential WBL level SP in all your minor levels unless you have the GOAT system of all time

Wolfman21

They had two pitches with good or better potential (50+). Any other pitches had potentials 40 or less. Therefore I planned on them being in the pen, just like we sort out any other pitchers. SP have the potential for 3 or more pitches of 50+, everyone else is slated for pen. Lucatoni and Hayne suddenly had a third pitch appear way beyond their potential, according to OSA. I always go by OSA too, not my scout, because I usually have my scouting budget close to zero, and I assume my scout is completely unreliable. Scouting potentials are so hit and miss that I generally ignore them. OSA said these guys never had the potential to be starters, then one day they did, but it didn't happen until they were already at the WBL and in their mid 20s. I don't remember well if my scout had a potential 3rd pitch over 50, but probably not either. I used to pay a lot of attention to almost all of my players, and I don't recall either Hayne or Lucatoni having any chance to be anything other than RPs, albeit elite ones.

In fact, for both pitchers, the third pitch didn't happen for either until they were very successful RPs with all the other potentials fully developed and pitching at an elite level. Then, one year, the third pitch just came on all of the sudden. I wonder if pitching at an elite level in the pen is what prompted the development of the other pitch. I wonder if that third pitch was hidden and allowed to come out with their RP success. If that is the case, then it's a good thing they were in the pen. If they were starters with only two pitches, potential or otherwise, maybe they would not have been successful and allowed the third pitch to emerge.

interesting that adding a 3rd pitch isn't in either of their development reports. Thats something that is usually listed as you can see by looking at Rafael Lujan in my A ball...who added a knuckle-curve this past offseason.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

They would have been SP and then better SP.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
interesting that adding a 3rd pitch isn't in either of their development reports. Thats something that is usually listed as you can see by looking at Rafael Lujan in my A ball...who added a knuckle-curve this past offseason.
Cross added a new pitch this past offseason. :eek:

But he is saying the third pitch developed, not that it was learned.

Wolfman21

Cross added a new pitch this past offseason. :eek:

But he is saying the third pitch developed, not that it was learned.

lol, hes also full of shit. I called him out like 2-3 seasons ago for having Hayne as a closer and not a starter and he definitely had 3 very well developed pitches at that time

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
lol, hes also full of shit. I called him out like 2-3 seasons ago for having Hayne as a closer and not a starter and he definitely had 3 very well developed pitches at that time

The more wooly wooly's the easier the rest of the league has it. Your need to show others the error in their ways makes your path harder

Wolfman21

Maybe so, i see now that he moved him into the rotation at that time.

Still calling bullshit on Hayne. You don't just all the sudden develop a miraculous 70 rated 3rd pitch at age 27

Wooly

If they have 50+ stamina they are starters until the WBL where they can be sorted if they are truly relievers. You don't have 6 potential WBL level SP in all your minor levels unless you have the GOAT system of all time

I guess so. While I certainly use some 2 pitch guys for SP in my minors, out of necessity, I just assumed they would never be WBL SP unless they had 3+ pitches of 50+. I also assumed that pitch potential never really moved much more than 5-10 points up, and usually just lower down, so anyone whose third pitch was like a 40 potential or worse was never going to be a WBL SP, no matter what. Since Hayne and Lucatoni never had a third potential pitch better than 40, and I didn't think they ever would either, I treated them like my elite RP to be. I gave them some starts in the minors just to get IP in, but for AAA on I just developed them as RP. That third pitch came along unexpectedly after a few years in WBL, and late in age, like 26 yo. Is that common?

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.

Still calling bullshit on Hayne. You don't just all the sudden develop a miraculous 70 rated 3rd pitch at age 27

How bout you get on his case for sending the Yunesky Mayas of the WBL to A.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I definitely remember the Lucatoni discussion. I get having one in the pen for the playoffs maybe if you have 3 or 4 other good starters, which he did when Lucatoni was there.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I guess so. While I certainly use some 2 pitch guys for SP in my minors, out of necessity, I just assumed they would never be WBL SP unless they had 3+ pitches of 50+. I also assumed that pitch potential never really moved much more than 5-10 points up, and usually just lower down, so anyone whose third pitch was like a 40 potential or worse was never going to be a WBL SP, no matter what. Since Hayne and Lucatoni never had a third potential pitch better than 40, and I didn't think they ever would either, I treated them like my elite RP to be. I gave them some starts in the minors just to get IP in, but for AAA on I just developed them as RP. That third pitch came along unexpectedly after a few years in WBL, and late in age, like 26 yo. Is that common?

They may or may not but you start them if they have the stamina anyway. Sometimes the algorithm smiles upon you, sometimes it doesn't.

Wolfman21

I definitely remember the Lucatoni discussion. I get having one in the pen for the playoffs maybe if you have 3 or 4 other good starters, which he did when Lucatoni was there.

Seems to have worked out for him.

With the rotation he has now though, if he doesn't win a ship this year, he really should quit, lol

Wooly

That is exactly what happened, Lucatoni first, then Hayne a year later or so. Both were a Closer first, with elite stats, then they had a third pitch emerge in about a year, out of nowhere. I was surprised, but unsure if it was real. Lucatoni was lights out the end of 2062, and his ratings were so awesome that I signed him to a long term contract. I remember being really worried that this might backfire, and that third pitch was a fleeting mirage, that I had just signed a big contract on a guy that would go back to being a RP soon. Took a chance. Now it looks like I won the lottery, which apparently I did.

Wolfman21

That is exactly what happened, Lucatoni first, then Hayne a year later or so. Both were a Closer first, with elite stats, then they had a third pitch emerge in about a year, out of nowhere. I was surprised, but unsure if it was real. Lucatoni was lights out the end of 2062, and his ratings were so awesome that I signed him to a long term contract. I remember being really worried that this might backfire, and that third pitch was a fleeting mirage, that I had just signed a big contract on a guy that would go back to being a RP soon. Took a chance. Now it looks like I won the lottery, which apparently I did.

riiiiiiiiiight

Wooly

They may or may not but you start them if they have the stamina anyway. Sometimes the algorithm smiles upon you, sometimes it doesn't.

Good to know. Looks like it smiled on me twice.

Seems to have worked out for him.

With the rotation he has now though, if he doesn't win a ship this year, he really should quit, lol

I thought this year might be really special with my rotation. The Big 3 have been great. The last two a little disappointing for their talent. Still a championship rotation on paper, but the team is playing a little under expectations and is in a three way race for the South League. I took a calculated risk at the start of the year, so far it has not made the team better. Crossing fingers for a playoff run though, and that FAX will start winning big again. FAX has been playing .500 ball for 4-5 weeks now (though Funk and Gwilt were hurt for part of that too). I need the rubber band to snap back some time soon.

riiiiiiiiiight

I am not claiming to know how everything in the game works. I have not been here as long as you. However, I have a lot of data in spreadsheets, year after year, and I can tell you those pitches were not there before, not even as potential in OSA.

Wolfman21

I am not claiming to know how everything in the game works. I have not been here as long as you. However, I have a lot of data in spreadsheets, year after year, and I can tell you those pitches were not there before, not even as potential in OSA.

this coming from someone that can't even be present during the playoffs?

riiiiiiight