• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2043 Off Season Thread

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
We probably could have gone 3 days a couple more times. It was fast because we went 3 days instead of 2 day and got there quicker. I do kind of like the "throw your best bid on the table and see what happens" part about this last sim, just sucks when you land NO ONE.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
or when you have no idea it's that sim. I guess read whole posts and expand on my five minutes a day.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
On my departing FAs:

@NML Infante is probably best in the pen at this point, but if you are desperate for a SP he will be ok. He is on a steep decline though. Puskara probably should be good for all three years as a sub 4, decent WHIP pitcher. He had his best run as a starter ever at the beginning of last year. He has also been a very good reliever when I had to send him to the pen.

@jdlikewhoa I think Gomes has one great year left, so you got a good deal there. Surprised how cheap he was. No one wanted to risk those sliding ratings I guess, but he is coming off one of his best years. I hit him lead off last year. Not sure if it mattered.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
or when you have no idea it's that sim. I guess read whole posts and expand on my five minutes a day.
Yeah. Should probably put that stuff in the announcement thread. You are normally active though, so it's odd you are playing that card.

doh

I usually don't read announcement because it almost always says "file is up". Not complaining really.

Also I need bullpen help and probably would like some lefty mashers. Can take on salary.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I should've planned accordingly to the "this is the final time you can offer people" but this off-season has been short as hell already.

Some guys didn't sign. It is the 4th day, so I can't do more than 3 day sims and they wont sign at 3 day sims. Next time we'll just have a final "put your best offer that you can in" sim

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I usually don't read announcement because it almost always says "file is up". Not complaining really.

Also I need bullpen help and probably would like some lefty mashers. Can take on salary.

I also posted it was going to be a 5 day sim like 3 times. I'll PM you with any changes in the league since you miss every single one.

doh

I'm just pissy because you stole Coop from me and now I'm going to have to get fleeced to get a lefty mashing LF.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah. Should probably put that stuff in the announcement thread. You are normally active though, so it's odd you are playing that card.

Like doh said, nobody reads it and I put it in this thread two days ago and yesterday. I think multiple times. I'll PM everybody from now on to expand on my 35 minutes a day.

Lloyd Carr

I think this should be SOP for any sims of importance.

I say OU just posts in the announcement thread whenever there is a sim that will have any importance.

So tomorrow night (I believe?) will be the sim to take us into ST. So OU should post tomorrow morning/afternoon sometime in the announcement thread that we will be simming to ST, so everyone needs to make the changes they need to make. Then he can just do his regular "file is up" post at 11:30/10:30.

Same with season opener, trade deadline, arbitration, last IFA/FA signing sim, etc...

If anyone misses the announcement, OU has no culpability. The responsibility is on the Manager to pay attention.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I give up tho for real, you guys figure out what the hell you want. Every single thing someone gets pissed about it no matter what. It's too long, it's too short. Gets old after the 12th season.

So talk amongst yourselves and figure out how many 3 day sims you want and when you want the "get your offer in" sim. Decide how you should be notified of that sim and I'll do it.

I'm not mad, just tired of every day having to see someone being mad. We need a structure that never changes so people can't say anything.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I say OU just posts in the announcement thread whenever there is a sim that will have any importance.

So tomorrow night (I believe?) will be the sim to take us into ST. So OU should post tomorrow morning/afternoon sometime in the announcement thread that we will be simming to ST, so everyone needs to make the changes they need to make. Then he can just do his regular "file is up" post at 11:30/10:30.

Same with season opener, trade deadline, arbitration, last IFA/FA signing sim, etc...

If anyone misses the announcement, OU has no culpability. The responsibility is on the Manager to pay attention.

I'll post it in here 5 times instead. One today, two tomorrow, and 3 the day you need your ST rosters set. Nobody reads the announcement thread.

doh

After first post I wasn't mad at you more mad at myself for skimming through posts. Things are the fine the way they are IMO.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Who cares if no one reads it, at least if it's in the announcement thread they cant claim it's buried. Ill post in there if you don't want to haha.

Lloyd Carr

I'll post it in here 5 times instead. One today, two tomorrow, and 3 the day you need your ST rosters set. Nobody reads the announcement thread.

The thing about posting it here is, there are days when this thread blows up. You could post it on page 39, and by time a person gets the chance to check the OOTP forum, this thread is on page 50. Said individual(s) may choose to ignore the thread until they have time to delve into it.

The Announcement thread doesn't blow up. If you miss it there, that is on the player 100% (it'd be on the player 100% to miss it in this thread too, since it was posted, but I'd have less sympathy if you missed it in a thread that gets posted in once a day).

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'll do it I just want everyone to get on the same page. It's like 15 times a season now since we have 15 GMs that someone complains. It sucks because I feel responsible most of the time even if I shouldn't, so we just need to really hammer in a pre-season schedule that everybody feels okay with. It's been on a whim the last 3 years so it's time it gets nailed down.

I've been thinking about this for a long time, probably 4-5 seasons. It just gets old having people complain and I've tried to make it so less people have something go wrong. We just need to continually make the structure more sound and the way I notify better.

I'm responsible too, I need to use the announcement thread more even if nobody reads it. I want to be clear am not mad, just frustrated by the last half decade in game.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I read the announcement thread.

Also, don't be mad OU. It's part of working out the links of this accelerated offseason.

Lloyd Carr

I read the announcement thread just because I need to mark the thread as read so I know when there are new posts in this forum.

If I don't read the thread, the forum always looks like there are new posts.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I thought it went well this offseason, then again I got all my targets.
IFAs seem to be way more of a wildcard on that final sim. You never know if someone is just going to say fuck it and offer $9M each. I wasn't really in on any FA other than Ersoy though.

osick87

Community Liaison
This offseason I had to adjust on the fly, I was going to go "big" contract with either Infante or Gomes with cheaper upgrades @ Catcher and DH spot. I probably could have done a Bingham, Fariss, Bradshaw, and Gomes offseason and blown my wad that way. I also could have spent way more on IFAs and hoped my existing roster with minimal upgrades would have been enough (It probably wouldn't have with how the South has been wheeling and dealing).

Gooksta

I'll do it I just want everyone to get on the same page. It's like 15 times a season now since we have 15 GMs that someone complains. It sucks because I feel responsible most of the time even if I shouldn't, so we just need to really hammer in a pre-season schedule that everybody feels okay with. It's been on a whim the last 3 years so it's time it gets nailed down.

I've been thinking about this for a long time, probably 4-5 seasons. It just gets old having people complain and I've tried to make it so less people have something go wrong. We just need to continually make the structure more sound and the way I notify better.

I'm responsible too, I need to use the announcement thread more even if nobody reads it. I want to be clear am not mad, just frustrated by the last half decade in game.
If they dont read it thats their problem not urs.. dont stress..ur doing what needs to be done

Lloyd Carr

I should have spent more on the IFAs I was looking at. But oh well.

You'll worried me with your 100% tax posts, so I didnt throw out any hailmary bonus offers. Most of the guys I wanted signed for slightly more than what I offered, so I wasnt far off. I was hesitant in throwing more money at them, so I raised their bonuses slightly before the sim and took the risk itd be enough. It didnt work.

Ive got money I cant use, so I think Ill go for broke next year if I see guys I want.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So how many 3 day sims should we have, we had 4 this year. Should I bump it to 5 or 6? Remember that these are real life days for each sim, so basically we have 26ish days to work with (whenever the draft is, is when I stop the sim in preseason). We can definitely do 6 three day sims and one last "you know what the market is, put your best offer in today" sim. The thing is though if you have a favorable sign with that, sometimes you can't up your offer on that last sim, the player will say "you have recently submitted an offer".

The only way to move the draft into January (where it really should be) is to take one off-season super slow and draft before ST so I can switch it.

Gooksta

I think people are unsure bcuz it changes all the time.. lets keep the current schedule as is.. people will get used to it

Posted too soon.. am for having the draft in jan though.. lol

osick87

Community Liaison
I'm fine with it as is. I know now that I can't nickel and dime IFAs and try to be the last best offer. That's the only thing that hurt me with the 5 day and I knew that was a risk before hand.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think people are unsure bcuz it changes all the time.. lets keep the current schedule as is.. people will get used to it

Posted too soon.. am for having the draft in jan though.. lol

If we had the draft in january we could spread it out more (plus have more time to draft). Downside is longer offseason and I can't reload the draft when it is truly awful. If you guys think you've seen bad drafts, lol.

Gooksta

It changes for a reason. We are trying to get it right.
People complain about how fast slow the offseason is based off that current offseasons needs.. which is never the same from yr to yr..
i have everyone i need.. whats taking so long??

I need to sign guys.. why is this goin so damn fast...

It has nothing to do with the actual schedule and them adjusting to it.. they want it to adjust with what they need for that off season..

Gooksta

If we had the draft in january we could spread it out more (plus have more time to draft). Downside is longer offseason and I can't reload the draft when it is truly awful. If you guys think you've seen bad drafts, lol.
Im willing to deal with it.. i want the draft in jan.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
People complain about how fast slow the offseason is based off that current offseasons needs.. which is never the same from yr to yr.. i have everyone i need.. whats taking so long??

I need to sign guys.. why is this goin so damn fast... It has nothing to do with the actual schedule and them adjusting to it.. they want it to adjust with what they need for that off season..
That's not why we are changing it though.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
3 3 day, 3 5 day? Or stick with the 5 3 day and single 5 day. Idc.
Imo, the offseason has become much more streamlined and manageable over the last 2-3 years.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
We could probably do two more three days and just do two five day sims instead of three to finish the offseason. Would give us one more draft day too.

osick87

Community Liaison
I reload them every year if the best players are 1.5*s.

Not every draft needs to have stars. Pun wasn't intended.

I'm not upset about it because I don't care. I just didn't think it needed to be done.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Not every draft needs to have stars. Pun wasn't intended.

I'm not upset about it because I don't care. I just didn't think it needed to be done.

You haven't been here long. Bad drafts kill people's motivations to play, you at least need a few starters in each draft. I don't think you understand just how brutal these classes are

Wolfman21

I actually appreciate ou reloading shit type draft pools. Also, he didn't have 1-1 until after the pool was released

NML

I'm a big market guy, so I'm biased, but I like quicker. I think I would like it if I was on a smaller budget too but who really knows.

It doesn't let teams top each other by 500k back and forth for a week IRL. Make ur bid and move on. If you really want someone, don't expect to counter back and forth below demand. If ur trying to steal someone cheaper, make an offer and hope no one else wants them.

I get my guys because I overpay to make sure there's no doubt. Again, I'm big market so I have that luxury, but I think it's better this way. Don't complain about losing someone when we sim five days and ur trying to nickel and dime them.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Sometimes they'll have two legit RPs at 2.5* and the rest 1*. They can just be super super bad, which is no fun for anyone.. Obviously i dont reload until a great class everytime because the last two classes have been super meh

osick87

Community Liaison
You haven't been here long. Bad drafts kill people's motivations to play, you at least need a few starters in each draft. I don't think you understand just how brutal these classes are

Like I said, I really don't care. My scout thinks every year is shitty.

Wolfman21

Well, I feel like I improved my rotation and my bullpen in free agency, which is what I wanted to do. Not big names/big contracts...but I think I got some guys that either have been stuck on great teams in AAA that kinda fell through the cracks or guys that have slightly underperformed yet still have good rankings. We'll see if it works out.