• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2015 NFL Offseason/Draft Thread

osick87

Community Liaison
Burfict's biggest negative is poor form on his ankle locks. Guy should hang out with the Gracies.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
What was his broad jump and hand measurement though?

I understand that the scouts use these numbers to help them decide between guys that look similar on film, but I mean to me, you ain't watching enough film if you can't tell who is a better footbaw player, to me.

The only thing that matters at the combine is the underwear body pose, the interviews and the medical exams. If I was a GM, I would peace the fuck out as soon as those were done. I do the rest of my scouting attending games and watching them actually play football.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I will say, though, that as the game moves to more and more of a horizontal spread, you want faster and more rangy linebackers. I'm guessing most NFL teams spent more time with 3 WRs on the field than not. You'd ideally want a linebacker that is useful in coverage and that can get to the sidelines quickly. So I get that you'd shy away from a slow linebacker. But 40 times are fucking useless for figuring that out. If you are trying to have a linebacker cover anybody 40 yards down the field, you're screwed. You need a guy who can keep with a TE or slot guy for 10-20 yards.

The days of a 3 down run stopping linebacker are over. There's definitely still a place for a good run stopping linebacker in the NFL, but the best linebackers are the ones who can help stop the run on 1st and 2nd down, and then cover a TE on 3rd down. There are a reasonable amount of hybrid S/LBs in college that do this, and I'd expect that trend to follow more in the NFL.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I'm racking my brain trying to come up with someone, but who won the Underwear Olympics, didn't have the game film to back it up, and was a boss in the NFL?

Basically, has a Chris Conley type ever been drafted in the 1st round and gone on to great success?

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I will say, though, that as the game moves to more and more of a horizontal spread, you want faster and more rangy linebackers. I'm guessing most NFL teams spent more time with 3 WRs on the field than not. You'd ideally want a linebacker that is useful in coverage and that can get to the sidelines quickly. So I get that you'd shy away from a slow linebacker. But 40 times are fucking useless for figuring that out. If you are trying to have a linebacker cover anybody 40 yards down the field, you're screwed. You need a guy who can keep with a TE or slot guy for 10-20 yards.

The days of a 3 down run stopping linebacker are over. There's definitely still a place for a good run stopping linebacker in the NFL, but the best linebackers are the ones who can help stop the run on 1st and 2nd down, and then cover a TE on 3rd down. There are a reasonable amount of hybrid S/LBs in college that do this, and I'd expect that trend to follow more in the NFL.

Except for the fact that Paul Dawson was a beast on a team that played in the Big XII, a league where 75% of the teams are running a "horizontal spread."

-YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Except for the fact that Paul Dawson was a beast on a team that played in the Big XII, a league where 75% of the teams are running a "horizontal spread."

-YTC

Nothing I said in there has anything to do with Dawson. Jesus, whitey.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I'm racking my brain trying to come up with someone, but who won the Underwear Olympics, didn't have the game film to back it up, and was a boss in the NFL?

Basically, has a Chris Conley type ever been drafted in the 1st round and gone on to great success?

-YTC
Maybe James Harrison. I don't remember him doing shit in college. That could just be because I don't even know where he went and I pride myself in knowing where a ton of these guys played collegiately.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Here's exactly who I want to line up at QB for the Buffalo Bills:

"Athletic passer with the legs, mobility and vision to extend plays, pick up chunk yardage and move the sticks as a ballcarrier. Quick feet in his drops with the maneuverability to step up in the pocket, reset his eyes and deliver with a solid base. Gets the ball out quickly, easily changing his arm angles. Efficient with the ball and avoids high risk throws, understanding situations with high football intelligence and focus in crunch time. Tough as nails and passionate competitive drive, playing through pain."

Nothing about laser, rocket arm. Nothing about reading complex defenses. Nothing about "tight windows" or "throwing guys open."

If the Bills aren't going to do the right thing and sign Tebow, then give me the next best thing. Give me Jake Waters.

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Maybe James Harrison. I don't remember him doing shit in college. That could just be because I don't even know where he went and I pride myself in knowing where a ton of these guys played collegiately.

Harrison went undrafted, doe. I'm talking about a guy who rockets up the draft boards based on his combine performance, but doesn't have great game film.

-YTC

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Well that's most likely a unicorn because guys that were shitty in college don't get invited to the combine, but I understand your point and it's the same as mine. Previous success playing football is the best predictor of future success playing football.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Find Fluff and then look it up on the old board. I wanted the Titans to take him in the 1st round. They took Kendall Wright, though and then Zach Brown in the 2nd. GJGE.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I can confirm Brick and I loved Burfict, because we had a discussion about him. I said it was crazy he dropped below the 3rd or 4th, because even as a 2 down run stuffing LB he had value there. But to go completely undrafted? Absurd. Denver needed a MLB that year too, and they took Nate Irving or someone (Edit, they drafted Irving a year earlier).

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
There was some caller to a show who was talking about Winston vs mariouta. His question was does it compare to manning leaf .

He said "I was in favor of leaf at the time, which I've regretted ever since"

Wtf? You regretted it? You are joe in Scranton. You didn't make the pick. You had no say in it? What do your buddies rib you about it to this day that you guys were at a bar and you argued that leaf was the better prospect?

American sports fan needs to get the fuck over himself.

He regrets it. Stupid motherfucjer. Regret the fact that you are a dumbass in general, not that you favored one qb over another.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Look here, fella. We were discussing the draft and team needs prior to the combine and I mentioned the Titans taking Burfict or Hightower with their fist pick. Then the combine happened and people said Burfict wouldn't be drafted. Obviously if I was the GM I would have waited and drafted him later in the 3rd or the 4th since the rest of my peers are tards, but in the grand scheme of things, who fucking cares where you draft someone if they turn out to be a beast? Yeah he's a great player for your team, but you drafted him in the 1st round instead of the 5th. You could have gotten Jake Locker in the 1st instead.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Well that's most likely a unicorn because guys that were shitty in college don't get invited to the combine, but I understand your point and it's the same as mine. Previous success playing football is the best predictor of future success playing football.

Probably so. I would reckon that it's harder to really have "unknown" players coming out of college in 2015. I had no freaking clue who Mike Mamula was prior to him blowing up at the combine.

-YTC

jdlikewhoa

Mamula had been projected as a second- or third-rounder. He went seventh overall. The rest is history.

But that doesn't mean there aren't any modern-day Mamulas ...

Troy Williamson, No. 7 overall pick in 2005, Minnesota Vikings: Best known as the guy drafted to replace Randy Moss, Williamson's holes on tape were washed away with a 4.32 40-yard dash at 6-foot-1, 203 pounds. To the surprise of many, he went ahead of USC's Mike Williams. Three years later, he was dealt to Jacksonville for a sixth-rounder. Of course, the Jags were another team that whiffed on a receiver in the '05 draft ...

Matt Jones, No. 21 pick in 2005, Jacksonville Jaguars: A quarterback at Arkansas, Jones checked in at 6-6, 242, ran a 4.37 40 and posted a 39.5-inch vertical, prompting the Jags to deem him worthy of a first-round pick as a conversion project. He showed some promise early, but substance-abuse issues that were well-known pre-draft derailed that progress. Jones played four NFL seasons.

Chris Henry, No. 50 pick in 2007, Tennessee Titans: Henry never topped 600 yards in any of his four seasons in college, but ran a 4.40 40 as a 230-pound specimen, and became the fourth running back taken in Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch’s class. He served a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy his rookie season, and lasted just two years in Tennessee. He had 32 carries in his 11-game, four-year career.

Amobi Okoye, No. 10 pick in 2007, Houston Texans: Okoye was a good player at Louisville, but his youth (19 during the draft process) and athleticism at 302 pounds (4.85 40, 29 reps on the bench) led teams to believe there was more to be unlocked with a guy who moved to the U.S. from Nigeria at 12 years old. He keeps getting shots, but has started just one game since the Texans released him following his fourth season.

Vernon Gholston, No. 6 pick in 2008,New York Jets: Probably would've gone in the first round regardless after an up-and-down career on a loaded Ohio State team, even with questions about how much he liked football. A 4.58 40 at 266 pounds and a combine-high 37 reps on the bench propelled him into the top 10. Gholston lasted just three years with the Jets, and hasn't played in an NFL game since.

Darrius Heyward-Bey, No. 7 pick in 2009, Oakland Raiders: Heyward-Bey came to Indy a borderline first-rounder, posted a 4.30 40-yard dash at 210 pounds and wound up being the first of six receivers taken in Round 1. He spent four years in Oakland, with his best season (by far) being a 64-catch, 975-yard campaign in 2011. Last year, he was at the end of the Steelers' roster.

Stephen Hill, No. 43 pick in 2012, New York Jets: He turned heads by running a 4.36 at 6-4, 215, and sent scouts looking for answers on why he only caught 49 passes in four years at Georgia Tech, an option program that had just produced Demaryius Thomas. Hill was released by the Jets in his third training camp and spent last season on the Panthers' practice squad.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Harrison went undrafted, doe. I'm talking about a guy who rockets up the draft boards based on his combine performance, but doesn't have great game film.

-YTC

Maybe Chris Johnson? He had a good senior season, but was below average before that.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Yeah I didn't either. Vernon Gholston is one that really gets me. 2 great years at tOSU, great combine, then just absolutely can't play NFL footbaw.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The only reason I'd look at combine results at all is as a reflection of work ethic, so I'd be more interested in comparing the expectations of a single player (based on reported numbers) vs their results rahter than comparing them to other players. If a player shows up and outperforms expectations, you know they were training hard specifically for the combine. That's a good indicator of work ethic. If they show up fat and out of shape and don't perform as expected, then it is indicative of them not having great work ethic because they didn't train all that hard.

In short, it doesn't really matter to me that Marriota has a faster 40 time than Jameis Winston, because I've watched enough film to see that Marriota is a much better runner than Winston, but Winston is still a very mobile QB as well. The fact that Marriota showed up and ran a 40 time that met or exceeded expectations s showed that he took his training seriously. The fact that Winston showed up looking doughy and ran a slower 40 than Peyton Manning (when you know he plays faster) shows that he didn't really give a fuck about the combine.

I think taking that perspective allows you to place some value on the results, while not over valuing them either. If someone shows up and blows the combine expectations away like that one WR, you say "wow, he really put in a lot of effort!" That's a positive, but you don't move him above a player like Amari Cooper who had the game film/production either (who matched expectations, he looked fast in game he ran fast at the combine).

I wouldn't let either under/over performance sway my opinion of a player by more than a couple of rounds at most. If a player like Burfict grades as a 1st rounder pre-combine and he shows up fat and lazy and runs a slow time, I knock him to a 3rd or 4th round pick becuase he showed poor work ethic. Game film shows he's fast enough. Similarly, if some unknown trog grades as a 7th round or undrafted player, you don't move him up to a 1st rounder because he ran well.

Last edited:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Yeah I didn't either. Vernon Gholston is one that really gets me. 2 great years at tOSU, great combine, then just absolutely can't play NFL footbaw.

Tweener. Too light to play DE. No instincts to play OLB. A man without a position. Add in a "meh" attitude and it's a short career.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
For another example of a successful player who saw their draft stock go way up because of measurable, I'd give you Demaryius Thomas (he didn't technically run at the combine because of a broken foot, but he did clock an electronically timed 4.38 40 at his pro day).

He was a WR at Georgia Tech during the Paul Johnson Flexbone and had one good season catching streak passes that were wide open because the teams were shitting their pants with 10 players in the box trying to stop the option. 1,150 yards but it came on only 46 catches. I mean that's still good production and all, but he wasn't exactly a polished pro WR prospect coming out of that system, his routes were atrocious, etc. The reason he jumped into the first round was his 4.38 40 yard dash at 6'3 225lbs.

bruin

I must have missed when people on Flufftopia were comparing Burfict to Luke Kuechly in 2012.

Burfict was lazy, undisciplined and had some of the worst film you'll ever see at LB. But you saw the talent and man could he hit.

Best thing that could have happened to Vontaze was getting picked up by Mike Zimmer and Marvin Lewis.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Chris Henry, RB from Arizona, Chris Henry. Not the dead WR. Great pick, Jeff Fisher.

He ended his junior campaign with 581 yards -- his career total turned out to be just 859 yards and only nine touchdowns.
So what'd he do? He bounced for the NFL, citing slim playing time as the cause.
And he made his decision in December, right after the season ended. Most people thought it was silly, considering his lack of gaudy numbers.
Still, at 5-foot-11 and around 230 pounds, NFL teams were salivating.

"When it comes to Henry, you can just go ahead and throw his college stats out the window, because they don't accurately tell the tale," said draft website NFLdraftblitz.com.
What happened thereafter? Henry ran a 4.40 in the 40-yard dash at the predraft combine, and with his build impressed in the bench press, repping the 225 pounds 26 times.
In the 2007 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans took him in the second round, 50th overall. He produced 119 yards on the ground and took 13 kick returns for 272 yards, but following his rookie year, he's been in anonymity.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
For another example of a successful player who saw their draft stock go way up because of measurable, I'd give you Demaryius Thomas (he didn't technically run at the combine because of a broken foot, but he did clock an electronically timed 4.38 40 at his pro day).

He was a WR at Georgia Tech during the Paul Johnson Flexbone and had one good season catching streak passes that were wide open because the teams were shitting their pants with 10 players in the box trying to stop the option. 1,150 yards but it came on only 46 catches. I mean that's still good production and all, but he wasn't exactly a polished pro WR prospect coming out of that system, his routes were atrocious, etc. The reason he jumped into the first round was his 4.38 40 yard dash at 6'3 225lbs.

I didn't really follow the combine or NFL at all at the time he was drafted. But I watched a fair amount of him at Georgia Tech. And I thought he was a great pick by the Broncos when he was originally drafted. I thought he was a great player in college. He's probably as good of an example as Chris Johnson, though.

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
I must have missed when people on Flufftopia were comparing Burfict to Luke Kuechly in 2012.

Burfict was lazy, undisciplined and had some of the worst film you'll ever see at LB. But you saw the talent and man could he hit.

Best thing that could have happened to Vontaze was getting picked up by Mike Zimmer and Marvin Lewis.

you left out the part where he is a piece of shit scumbag who intentionally tries to hurt players over and over again

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I didn't really follow the combine or NFL at all at the time he was drafted. But I watched a fair amount of him at Georgia Tech. And I thought he was a great pick by the Broncos when he was originally drafted. I thought he was a great player in college. He's probably as good of an example as Chris Johnson, though.

Yeah, I was probably stretching a bit, because he was really productive considering the type of offense he played in, but it was the best example I could come up with, lol. The point remains that almost all of his yards came on either wide open streak/corner passes or jump balls. Not exactly NFL ready type receiver, he was drafted as a physical prospect.

PSUEagle

Aldon Smith had like 6 sacks his last year in college and was drafted really high.

Richard Seymour I think had 1 sack his last year at UGA and he's a borderline HOFer.

FWIW, everyone points to Mike Mamula as the ultimate combine warrior, but he had 20 sacks his last year so it wasn't like he wasn't productive. Plus, that was twenty years ago when training for the combine was a new thing: you wouldn't see a jump like that today.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm guessing coaches get drawn into combine stats because that's the best information they have, in their minds. Not many coaches are going to review every prospect's film - that's what you have scouts for. I feel like most coaches hate stats, so they disregard (or at least discount) their college stats. So they have their scouts' subjective opinions and then these hard numbers. I could easily see falling into the trap of looking at these numbers and falling in love. If you think those numbers are the best information you have, then you'll fall in love with athletic freaks without any football skills.

Bottom line, football coaches and football people are idiots. It is mind blowing how many idiots there are in such a ridiculously lucrative and competitive business.

Brick

it's boggling that stats, actual results from work on the field, are dismissed when combine numbers have no direct correlation at all to performance.

it is like the BMI index of footbaw.

i mean 125 people were drafted before elvis dumervil because he was 5'11". he broke the ncaa record for forced fumbles and broke freeney's sack record. what else could anybody possibly be looking for in a defensive end but getting sacks and forcing turnovers? herp.

PSUEagle

Actually, coaches are the ones who disregard workouts/athletic measurements. Most only care if the guy is a "FOOTBAW PLAYA" who "MAKEZ PLAYZ." That's why guys like Jaiquann Jarrett (@R2D2 ) go in the 2nd round even though they can't move laterally and have the athletic ability to play in the NFL.

Throw Dontari Poe as another guy who didn't light up in college, BTW. He's still inconsistent, but considering he plays like 80% of his teams' snaps at his size he's had a remarkable career so far based on what he did at Memphis.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
it's boggling that stats, actual results from work on the field, are dismissed when combine numbers have no direct correlation at all to performance.

it is like the BMI index of footbaw.

i mean 125 people were drafted before elvis dumervil because he was 5'11". he broke the ncaa record for forced fumbles and broke freeney's sack record. what else could anybody possibly be looking for in a defensive end but getting sacks and forcing turnovers? herp.
Arm reach. In the NFL the long arm tackles will just stone him. He will never get any sacks in the NFL.

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
This is just so typical Cleveland Browns. Best is seeing the news clip of them unveiling the NEWLOGO to media and everyone is just silent when they see it, and assume they fucked up and had the wrong picture on the easel. But really, no they fucked up and didnt change shit. Fucking dumb ass team.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I used to think the Raiders were the worst run team in the league. Cleveland has clearly stepped up to the plate and hit home run after home run over the last few years.

osick87

Community Liaison
Remember when Cleveland paid that group to tell them what QB to draft. When told that Teddy B was the best QB to draft, they picked Manziel anyways.

Gooksta

Seems Cleveland tries to please their fan base too much.. if the fans are loyal after the shit show that is the browns recently. I don't think you have to worry about losing them

R2D2

The state of Ohio sucks at professional sports. Even when the hometown hero returns home. :trollface: