• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

WBL Rule Change Thread

Wooly

Can I get a ruling from an O on where we are at for signing players both pre-ARB and in ARB. I just want to know what the rule is.

Wolfman21

can we get an update in the welcome thread? Because i'm not going back and reading every page to find out what rules have been changed. And i don't want any fuckshit about a contract i offer

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
That's the only rule now, since 7 years is now hardcoded. I think No Vesting options is a rule too but not sure if that's hardcoded

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
That's the only rule now, since 7 years is now hardcoded. I think No Vesting options is a rule too but not sure if that's hardcoded
Vesting options are part of the don't be a dick rule. I've had old vets request them. It's rare and we don't see them.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Is there a length limit? What limit?
Does the offer AAV have to match the 1st ARB estimate, the highest estimate?

Or has any of that even been decided yet?
This hasn't been decided because having different estimates is new if I recall. @Yankee151 didnt they all used to be the same?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
They might've a long time ago, but as far as I can remember it's been laid out in the salary page in escalating numbers for at least a couple of versions.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I thought the escalating arb estimates are fairly new? Like 18 is the first version to have them.

Wooly

This hasn't been decided because having different estimates is new if I recall. @Yankee151 didnt they all used to be the same?
Not being pushy, but hoping we can make a decision soon if we are keeping the rules as is, or changing them.

As the season starts, it's time to be making offers. Trying to avoid some of the faux outrage when I sign someone to a team friendly and legal deal, because I check every sim for that one day their agent is out of town.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Not being pushy, but hoping we can make a decision soon if we are keeping the rules as is, or changing them.

As the season starts, it's time to be making offers. Trying to avoid some of the faux outrage when I sign someone to a team friendly and legal deal, because I check every sim for that one day their agent is out of town.
Let's go with highest I guess unless people have an issue with that. I didn't realize they were different until recently.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Let's go with highest I guess unless people have an issue with that. I didn't realize they were different until recently.
Since no one spoke up, I think we have landed on highest arb estimate. If wooly signs someone to a 7/$70m deal you'll can't lose your shit.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
All you'll hate on wooly, but if we decided ok 7 years max contracts, he'd probably change it without whining.

I was wrong. @Wooly has decided not to change the contract to comply with the new rule without some sort of concession, which is his right. We don't normally make changes retroactively, so the deal will stay as signed.

All pre-arb contracts going forward need a year of service time and need to equal the highest arb estimate.

NML

mshckd.gif

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
I was wrong. @Wooly has decided not to change the contract to comply with the new rule without some sort of concession, which is his right. We don't normally make changes retroactively, so the deal will stay as signed.

All pre-arb contracts going forward need a year of service time and need to equal the highest arb estimate.

The only concession he gets is losing.

NML

I could just be dad-mad because I have the boys today, but this wooly shit is ridiculous. I get that we can't punish people for doing stuff within the rules and I'm not suggesting that. But it's at the point where I'm just going to do his half-aspie/half-douchey stuff because it has an effect on winning and I'm tired of him getting this advantage because the rest of us are playing by the "don't be an asshole" rule.

My two main gripes are:

1) here's the average age of his minor leagues.

A: 24
AA: 26
AAA: 30

2) the unbelievably massive fluctuations in contracts. His payroll this year $132m, next is already $156m. Lucantoni is making $6m this year, $18m next, and then $8m. HMMMMM I wonder which year he won't do IFA?

This combo allows him to buy a ton of IFAs - way more than if he had reasonable contracts - and they fully develop because the win at every level playing with dudes who should be in the majors (plus I'm sure he's got a ton of money into development).

I don't have a suggestion since putting a age limit always gets shut down and no one else seems annoyed by the up and down contracts. Just venting

TonyGin&Juice

He is single handedly killing my will to export with his dickheadery. The rotating contracts for IFA shit has been going on for years and will likely continue. Fuck him.

TonyGin&Juice

By the way, anyone that doubts his having AAAA guys in A and AA not impacting development can suck my entire black ass.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator

@Wooly is really the worst owner I've ever witnessed and we had cornhole

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I could just be dad-mad because I have the boys today, but this wooly shit is ridiculous. I get that we can't punish people for doing stuff within the rules and I'm not suggesting that. But it's at the point where I'm just going to do his half-aspie/half-douchey stuff because it has an effect on winning and I'm tired of him getting this advantage because the rest of us are playing by the "don't be an asshole" rule.

My two main gripes are:

1) here's the average age of his minor leagues.

A: 24
AA: 26
AAA: 30

2) the unbelievably massive fluctuations in contracts. His payroll this year $132m, next is already $156m. Lucantoni is making $6m this year, $18m next, and then $8m. HMMMMM I wonder which year he won't do IFA?

This combo allows him to buy a ton of IFAs - way more than if he had reasonable contracts - and they fully develop because the win at every level playing with dudes who should be in the majors (plus I'm sure he's got a ton of money into development).

I don't have a suggestion since putting a age limit always gets shut down and no one else seems annoyed by the up and down contracts. Just venting
that average age is not awful and after the Lucatoni deal I told him not to fluctuate so much. A couple million is fine, but not 10. People have been doing deescalating contracts forever, which isn't much different.

TonyGin&Juice

that average age is not awful and after the Lucatoni deal I told him not to fluctuate so much. A couple million is fine, but not 10. People have been doing deescalating contracts forever, which isn't much different.

Outside of the Nelson contract (which was done as a joke) who is alternating contracts by over 40% from year to year?

Wooly

What are you talking about. I told you to go ahead and change it. I didn't like it, mostly because of why it happened, but I said go ahead.

I agree that 10 year contracts for pre-ARB deals are not a good idea.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If you did I lost it in the walls of text. I kept seeing you ask for lower AAV and I'm just over it.

NML

Average isn't awful - although I doubt there are any 24 year olds in A or 26 in AA IRL - but it's offset because he has a handful of age appropriate prospect at each level. The players he has at those levels are completely unrealistic.

Deescalating contracts are unrealistic too. Even level contracts nowadays aren't super common because players expect cost of living raises. But no one seems really upset by this so I'm not going to die on this hill.

I've noticed that you get notifications when you export if you have roster violations that the game doesn't naturally block (less than 25, players too old in IC). Could we set an age limit so that pops up at export so managers know their rosters are invalid at various levels?

What about house rules at the various levels where ur hit with a $ penalty if ur found in violation?

Last edited:

TonyGin&Juice

We need to implement a budget ceiling. The fuckstickery Wooly does wouldn't be as bad if he didn't have zillions of dollars to piss away.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Anything that would stop an O from simming is off the table since we've done it before, but we could do self policing house rules I suppose

So if we set an age limit, it'll have to be outside the game itself