• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

WBL Rule Change Thread

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I just don't see this as an AI/game 'problem'. I see it as a user problem that we shouldn't correct because it's been caused by people tanking actively or signing dumb contracts to handcuff themselves.
No one sees it as an AI/game problem.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
This is a small impact. I'm guessing the smallest budgets will see a $3m-$4m increase.

It's just leveling an uneven playing field slightly.
I'm fine leveling the playing field with spending punishments which requires them to make decisions on players. I think the that the key is increasing 'dead' money to big budget clubs. If you decrease my revenues with revenue sharing, I just spend $8-10m less in FA on players I don't really need like Escamilla, Ramos, Stone, Montoya and that really changing nothing.

NML

How's that different than having dead money?

Only difference is a club with less money gets some of it

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I just don't understand why doh has to try to pin it on someone. Why can't we look back at league history and adjust our settings? Why did we decide we need $200m budgets? Profit used to mean something, now it does not. That's way too much money in our leagues economy, especially when there is no incentive to turn a profit.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
How's that different than having dead money?

Only difference is a club with less money gets some of it
It's not. I don't know why he is stuck on that. If you reduce the amount of money a team has, they have to make spending decisions.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I just don't understand why doh has to try to pin it on someone. Why can't we look back at league history and adjust our settings? Why did we decide we need $200m budgets? Profit used to mean something, now it does not. That's way too much money in our leagues economy, especially when there is no incentive to turn a profit.
Of course there's incentive to turn a profit-- cash and a potential extra bump in the second off-season budget.

How can you tell there's too much money? Srs question. IMO too much money being spent in IFA but barely any in FA for lots of solid, good players.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Of course there's incentive to turn a profit-- cash and a potential extra bump in the second off-season budget.

How can you tell there's too much money? Srs question. IMO too much money being spent in IFA but barely any in FA for lots of solid, good players.
Cash is the only incentive. Extra bump comes from anticipated revenue.

I can tell there is too much money based off the profits being turned by the top teams. Where the money is being spent is irrelevant. That's you trying to force your play style on other GMs. If half the GMs DGAF about FA, then there is probably too much money in the economy for the FA market.

Wolfman21

the good news is, that even if we drop the top budgets, its still gonna be the same because you can sign your goats for 5-10 mil less AAV for 7-10 years now. So instead of paying a GOAT 18 mil in year 6, they'll still be making 8 mil. Save 10 mil per season, per GOAT!

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
profit has no meaning at all. it used to when we had owners activated but then everyone cries when their owner is a shithead.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
the good news is, that even if we drop the top budgets, its still gonna be the same because you can sign your goats for 5-10 mil less AAV for 7-10 years now. So instead of paying a GOAT 18 mil in year 6, they'll still be making 8 mil. Save 10 mil per season, per GOAT!
Those ain't goats

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Apparently we need to address the contract rule though because people think it's a problem. If wolfman is flaunting it, then we have issues. I thought i tested enough players, but apparently not.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I would honestly prefer not to police anything. Limiting length seems like the easiest way. 7 years would be my choice. We can also start arb earlier.

NML

10 year contracts are so rare. Probably, what, 15 in baseball history? And they'd never happen pre arb.

Pre arb multi year deals aren't very common either, from my minimal baseball knowledge.

Not in favor of starting arb earlier - everyone is just going to get more expensive and hurts teams who build through the farm.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I think pre arb multi year deals are common. Teams buy out arb years to keep a player happy and save some money.

NML

I like 7 year max.

Still think there should be a pre arb limit but I seem outnumbered there

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If we start arb earlier we can also make arb longer, so teams don't lose years of control just years of minimum.

NML

I think pre arb multi year deals are common. Teams buy out arb years to keep a player happy and save some money.

Fair enough. I'm admittedly out of my element with that.

What effect does starting arb earlier have other than losing a minimum year?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Well I can't be certain other than them getting more expensive faster. I would think it would help raise their asking price, but maybe it's pointless. If we really wanted to explore no pre-arb extensions, we could make them go to arb after a year haha.

NML

I say just do 7 max and call it a day

Too many unknown variables when you remove a minimum year. I'd imagine player costs would sky rocket. We already (somewhat) artificially keep them low with having FA in the new year.

And no policing (other than option years)

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
To me there should be a significant bump in pay OR AAV to buy out FA years if the doh rule is gone. It doesn't make sense for amazing players to forgo 8+ Million per FA year in most cases. There's just no way to police it though. I like 7 year doh rule for pre arb and 2 years to arb (eliminating super 2s) as a start.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I still think the Braves deal is the golden child of pre-arb extensions in that it's realistic and beneficial/risky for both parties, which most contracts should be. 7 year rule is a start towards replicating that.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I can't imagine they skyrocket. If anything their arb estimates would likely be lower since they would t have much data.

7 years seems reasonable and it's an actual setting which is nice. Go whip votes @NML :laughing:

NML

I still think the Braves deal is the golden child of pre-arb extensions in that it's realistic and beneficial/risky for both parties, which most contracts should be. 7 year rule is a start towards replicating that.

Lank?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/players/player_6282.html

Signed in the offseason before his arb hearing, it's 7 years at almost 80M, so about 11M in change AAV. Bought out 4 FA years (tho iirc one is a TO?) but the numbers are pretty good (likely 12M+, not opening the game right now) and he becomes a FA at 31 where he can sign another contract if he's still good.

Cheap for the club, Good secure deal for the player that allows him a chance at future cash and protects against long term injury. FWIW, he was a 4 WAR pitcher (I know, pitcher WAR, but that's likely how the game decides) at 24 years old when he signed it.

I wouldn't mind restricting pre-arb contracts to the offseason of their arb hearing, but since that's usually only one sim, I can see why that'd be an akward implementation.

FWIW, I think he mostly proposed it to me and I just accepted.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Since NML and I and Orlando are all on the same side, we're passing the 7 year Nextlandee rule right now, no counters allowed. Feels good to be on the winning side this time, right Leach?

Reactions: NML

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/players/player_6282.html

Signed in the offseason before his arb hearing, it's 7 years at almost 80M, so about 11M in change AAV. Bought out 4 FA years (tho iirc one is a TO?) but the numbers are pretty good (likely 12M+, not opening the game right now) and he becomes a FA at 31 where he can sign another contract if he's still good.

Cheap for the club, Good secure deal for the player that allows him a chance at future cash and protects against long term injury. FWIW, he was a 4 WAR pitcher (I know, pitcher WAR, but that's likely how the game decides) at 24 years old when he signed it.

I wouldn't mind restricting pre-arb contracts to the offseason of their arb hearing, but since that's usually only one sim, I can see why that'd be an akward implementation.

FWIW, I think he mostly proposed it to me and I just accepted.
Sounds like Arevalo, but he is better so he wanted more. 7/$88m (5/8.25/11.55/16/16/16). This was the deal he suggested. I took it, but raised his first year to meet arb. He wanted 4.25 or something.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
That's a good sign that 7 years is the sweet spot then
Maybe, but we also didn't negotiate. There are going to be deals people think are unfair no matter what. I don't think we can combat that without removing them entirely and that isn't worth it to me.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Also, ban the alternating values such as those seen in Bucky's contract, and I think we'll be good here
As long as the swing isnt ridiculous I really don't care. I like making rules less complicated. Right now i don't even need to edit the FAQ.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
As long as the intention is there it's fine. If there's anything truly ridiculous that pops up again we can mess with it some more. The main reason I'm not up in arms completely about Bucky is he's low greed, clearly enjoys playing in Fax, and isn't a career 10 war a year player (all facts I found out after the initial outrage), so I think the 7 year nextlandee rule fixes that issue too.

even if Bucky's deal is 7/49 (and there's no telling he'd accept less years at this AAV with this restriction, which would be an amazing side effect) It's much more palatable. Still means he has to go to FA at 32 instead of 35, and he can actually get paid.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Any rule needs to be implemented ASAP, so someone needs to find out just how many people this would piss off before it is.

If we do it, I'll apply it to recent deals over 7 years (Bucky, the Swede).