• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

WBL Rule Change Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah after thinking on it i came to pretty much the same conclusion which is why i refrained from showing you'll. The more i thought about it the more complicated it became when judging players

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
As for Rule 5 I would personally hate the extra overhead of managing my minors that carefully right now when I'm so busy, but if the league is for it it's whatever to me. Rad wouldn't be Rad if he didn't get Rad about the Rule V.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
The other thing is if I'm reading it right we'd see the ratings compared to other A ball players which NO ONE does in real life. You scout/rate players relative to MLB in real life.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
The other thing is if I'm reading it right we'd see the ratings compared to other A ball players which NO ONE does in real life. You scout/rate players relative to MLB in real life.
No theyd all be compared to wbl players at their position

doh

Well it's hard as hell to understand. That was discussed in some part of this thread.

I just don't see what the problem with the current ratings is.

I don't like that compared to similar position too. Don't stars do that already?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Ratings are in a vacuum, just because you have a 60 rating pitcher doesnt mean he is good in relation to the league. The other option makes it so a 60 is above league average. You can play with it in a single player save to see what it does

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
To me it makes sense because it applies the 80-20 to the WBL and not some arbitrary ratings. I really don't care either way.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Well a 50 rated 3B could hit anywhere from .220 to .300 depending on how strong the position is. That's rads point and i agree to an extent. Both sides make sense to me tho. When we have a 60 now we pretty much know what we are getting

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I thought the ratings were across all positions. 50 is 50 regardless of where you play. Is a position is dry, a 50 across the board 3B could be 5 stars.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
In fact id argue the way we have it is the dumbed down version. It makes it easy since you can run an offline sim and change player ratings to know what the ranges are and know where your players fall on it. We did make it a tad more difficult by adding scouts which helps the variance so we dont know exactly where they fall.

Another option that is separate from the wbl related ratings is we can have scouts include stats in their assessment.

Im just making everybody aware of whats available im not trying to drive change here. Those days are behind me

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Is a position is dry then yes, but the ratings are in a vacuum, it actually can go above 80 up to 95 but we do not track stats over 80

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I thought the ratings were across all positions. 50 is 50 regardless of where you play. Is a position is dry, a 50 across the board 3B could be 5 stars.

Here is how it breaks down from those 3 options in that pic I posted

1) This simply changes the way ratings are shown. It means if you have a 3B with 50 contact he is league average at contact among WBL 3B

2) This adds stats into the mix when scouts give us their ratings of a player. He over achieves for an extended period of time? Gets a bump.

3) This takes down the positional walls and means if you have a 50 rated contact guy, he is average across the whole league.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Is a position is dry then yes, but the ratings are in a vacuum, it actually can go above 80 up to 95 but we do not track stats over 80

This is true, anything over 180/250 is an 80 rating IIRC. With our scouts it just differs from one another. I could see an 80 and you could see a 70. Less money obviously makes your view worse.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Here is how it breaks down from those 3 options in that pic I posted

1) This simply changes the way ratings are shown. It means if you have a 3B with 50 contact he is league average at contact among WBL 3B

2) This adds stats into the mix when scouts give us their ratings of a player. He over achieves for an extended period of time? Gets a bump.

3) This takes down the positional walls and means if you have a 50 rated contact guy, he is average across the whole league.

I think you may have been tom bout our ratings as they are now in which case you are correct. As it is now the ratings are just absolutes with no regard to position or WBL.

doh

All ratings ARE relative to the WBL or you'd see guys ratings drop when they were promoted/demoted.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
All ratings ARE relative to the WBL or you'd see guys ratings drop when they were promoted/demoted.

No, they aren't. Not right now. They are relative to where the guy falls on the 0-250 rating behind the scenes.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
For instance our pitching is ridiculous as a league right now, if you made SPs' ratings relative to the WBL instead of relative to their secret ratings, you would turn guys that are right now 60/60/60 into 50/55/55 because league average stuff right now is 60 in our league.

A league average pitcher in the WBL is 60/55/55

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'll try to make it simple using an example. We have a CF.

Ratings now are calculated based on the hidden rating. If a CF has 100 power, he is an 45 regardless of the WBL. How much money you put into scouting his level will determine how accurate your scout is, so it can vary in that regard.

If we changed to the first option, his power rating would either go up or down depending on the league wide starting CFs' power ratings. If most are below him (20-99) he would be bumped higher. If a lot of starting CFs were above him (101-250) he would be lower

If we changed to the second option in addition to the first, how many HRs he hit in relation to the other CFs would contribute to his power rating.

If we changed to the last option in addition to the others, how many HRs and what the average power of the whole league would be deciding his power rating.

You can do all, none, or one of each of those options. None of them are necessary to turn the others on so they are all options separately (although right now we already have the third one automatically because they don't differentiate btw positions in absolute ratings).

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Stat thing would be useless unless it's park adjusted.
Right and i dont think it is but it doesnt say one way or the other so i cant be sure. Have to check the forums for that one. I just want you to know the ratings right now have nothing to do with the wbl

Lloyd Carr

And by out of position, I mean more so changing a players actual position. If you have a 100 at CF, couldn't you in theory switch him over to LF (where in theory players are worse), and have his ratings boosted?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
How would "ratings by position" affect situations of playing players out of position/DH?
Theyd be rating against the position they were listed at presumably. Unless they were listed as DH they wouldnt be graded against them

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
And by out of position, I mean more so changing a players actual position. If you have a 100 at CF, couldn't you in theory switch him over to LF (where in theory players are worse), and have his ratings boosted?
They are only visually booosted though. The number value is the same

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yes, so youd have to do a little research before trades

doh

I want us to vote on comp picks. I think it's time to turn them on or at least give us the option of offering our FAs arbitration.

doh

Im in the process of simming a year on single player to see if it's offer arb or qualifying offer now. MLB changed their rules.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
80-20 ratings relative to position would be retarded. Relative to WBL I think would be ok.

Lloyd Carr

If we're going to switch to a relative rating system, I'd go with WBL. I don't really care for ratings based on position.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Stars are there to rate players relative to their position. If a guy has 80 power, he has 80 power. He could be 5 stars relative to CF but 4 relative to LF based on average power at the position. His 80-20 rating shouldn't change though.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yeah I understood it based on your screenshot. Basically I would be for keeping ratings and stars as they are, but using WBL averages as the baseline instead of mythical MLB averages

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yeah I understood it based on your screenshot. Basically I would be for keeping ratings and stars as they are, but using WBL averages as the baseline instead of mythical MLB averages
It isnt based on averages at all

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It isnt based on averages at all
I know what you are saying, but it is by association kind of. The 250 ratings and how they translate to 80-20 were at some point based on what was considered average in MLB. It just makes more sense to base it on WBL.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I get what orlando is saying but i still think the 0-250 scale is skewed higher than mlb averages. Well the upper end, like i said earlier the 80 cut off ends at like 180 i think. So there is 70 points of ratings left

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I've messed around on older versions, especially with the create a player dynasty. 250 is always insane, usually 90/95 and you'll get guys with 200 OPS+ or ERA+ and higher if you throw them in a regular league.