• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

WBL Rule Change Thread

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I think in MLB they have the option to pay a a lump sum when they release guys, but normally they dont.

I think the DL service time thing is out of our control from what I saw quickly glancing at settings.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Also: @Rutgers Mike you can save tons of money by DFAing guys on the 40-man you don't use/aren't good. If I were you, I'd just dump: maybe SP Peasnall (he's old and not great at anything), MR Jia, MR Kenny? (old and not really worth arb), MR Quinoes (old, career 3.42 ERA but looks strange and not worth arb if you really want to save $$$, C Mungu (you can find guys like him easy and not have to pay $490k), 2B Cu, SS Paddan, 3B Scheele, SS Ha (maybe a good utility guy but you have a few of them), SS Hudhayfah (same as Ha) , SS Jalil (same as above), LF Ciemens, LF Unknown, RF Medina (he blows chunks).

By my calculations that's about $8-9m in savings easy. Maybe save a couple because you do need to fill out a roster but they're all easily replaceable/don't need to get paid $490k a year to be terrible.
This is what I did this season. Ran a really slim roster and just added as needed. Its a good way to go. Also check your scouting and dev budgets. You can trim them for a year or two to run a profit and up your budget.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
This is what I did this season. Ran a really slim roster and just added as needed. Its a good way to go. Also check your scouting and dev budgets. You can trim them for a year or two to run a profit and up your budget.
Yeah I do this every year. In fact I have 30 guys on my 40-man this year which is a lot for me. I've lost some players I would've liked on my AAA over the last two years doing this: Theile to Buffalo, Lentulov to you, Vaindrakh to Istanbul, Inan to Cairo and probably more I can't think of but IMO it's worth it. You save $ both this year and with your extensions, they aren't that hard to replace and you improve your budget by trimming as much fat as possible.

The one reason I decided to go with 30 this year on my 40-man was spring training. I have 3-4 guys I added to the roster that had zero chance of making my Opening Day roster I just wanted up to limit injuries during ST.

But the big thing is without a Rule V draft you can stash guy on your AAA team that IRL would be on your 40-man and save 490k/year per player by not having them on your 40.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Not true. Ran just fine in another league.

Can be done in game. Set your rd by rd list that you want with an export.

doh

My stance has always been if it was easy, I'd be for a Rule V Draft. If it's not, I wouldn't. We'd also have to give teams a year to adjust.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
We have been down this road before. It's not easy and over complicates. Feel free to ask OU to put it to a vote, yet again.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
nah b, unless someone outlines how and why it is so easy we aren't even trying it.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
All that is needed is turning the option on in game. The date is December. So 2042 will give folks 2 offseasons to get rosters ready.
If the commish is continuing advancing from Arb to FA in Feb, then it is one added sim in the offseason sandwiched tween Arb and FA.
GM's can set the list round by round (set it for 1 round and copypasta the rest). Every player picked must have space on the new teams 40-man roster.
No ootp utility/website needed.
Done.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Is this even a serious problem? I know yankee probably has 2-3 but he won't then, so besides him how many decent players would this even include? I don't want to add it so 1* players can move around

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If I'm reading it right (have to relearn what it does) this is for guys who are ready for the WBL now since you have to keep them on the active roster for 90 days. Who is even ready for that that would be eligible? What if you set your list and end up getting 5 guys you have to put on your active roster? Maybe I'm just not understanding its purpose fully

EDIT: I really don't want to seem like I'm trying to shit on the Rule 5, I just really don't get what its purpose would be in the the league. It just seems like it will force players to be on the 40 man after 21 if they are any good

Last edited:

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Also: @Rutgers Mike you can save tons of money by DFAing guys on the 40-man you don't use/aren't good. If I were you, I'd just dump: maybe SP Peasnall (he's old and not great at anything), MR Jia, MR Kenny? (old and not really worth arb), MR Quinoes (old, career 3.42 ERA but looks strange and not worth arb if you really want to save $$$, C Mungu (you can find guys like him easy and not have to pay $490k), 2B Cu, SS Paddan, 3B Scheele, SS Ha (maybe a good utility guy but you have a few of them), SS Hudhayfah (same as Ha) , SS Jalil (same as above), LF Ciemens, LF Unknown, RF Medina (he blows chunks).

By my calculations that's about $8-9m in savings easy. Maybe save a couple because you do need to fill out a roster but they're all easily replaceable/don't need to get paid $490k a year to be terrible.

I don't think my big problem is with guys making the league minimum like Mungu, Cu, Ha, whoever else. The problem is that I owe the catcher in single A 40M over the next 2 and a half seasons. It's just what I have to deal with right now.

doh

If I'm reading it right (have to relearn what it does) this is for guys who are ready for the WBL now since you have to keep them on the active roster for 90 days. Who is even ready for that that would be eligible? What if you set your list and end up getting 5 guys you have to put on your active roster? Maybe I'm just not understanding its purpose fully

EDIT: I really don't want to seem like I'm trying to shit on the Rule 5, I just really don't get what its purpose would be in the the league. It just seems like it will force players to be on the 40 man after 21 if they are any good
If you draft someone in the Rule V Draft, you have to keep them on the 25-man for the entire season. If you don't then they must go through waivers after being first offered back to the team that you drafted them from for half the price.

You aren't going to get stars in this by any means but the point would be to make people make decisions quicker. Just looking at Tankee's roster for arguments sake people I'd consider Rule 5ing prior to this year: Rafael Gomez, Howard. Goosens on his AA team would need to be on the 40-man next year. You can get useful people onto your rosters.

It'd add some cost to teams too.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't think my big problem is with guys making the league minimum like Mungu, Cu, Ha, whoever else. The problem is that I owe the catcher in single A 40M over the next 2 and a half seasons. It's just what I have to deal with right now.
Try to piss him off so he declines that option. That's your best bet.

doh

Well yea that's obviously the big problem but having a bunch of terrible players on your roster stealing money from you is also a problem.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Okay so the ratings don't change automatically, the ratings we are shown right now are the same as in 14. I do have the option to make it relative to the WBL though which means that if you see a guy with a 50 rating you know he will be league average (since it is based on the league as a whole). You know a guy that is rated as a 60 will be one standard deviation higher than league average.

Which would you guys prefer? The way it is now doesn't really tell you what kind of player you are getting as it is based on absolutes and not what is currently in the league.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If you draft someone in the Rule V Draft, you have to keep them on the 25-man for the entire season. If you don't then they must go through waivers after being first offered back to the team that you drafted them from for half the price.

You aren't going to get stars in this by any means but the point would be to make people make decisions quicker. Just looking at Tankee's roster for arguments sake people I'd consider Rule 5ing prior to this year: Rafael Gomez, Howard. Goosens on his AA team would need to be on the 40-man next year. You can get useful people onto your rosters.

It'd add some cost to teams too.

You only need them to be on for 90 days and then you can DL them

doh

You only need them to be on for 90 days and then you can DL them
They have to be on your ML roster the whole year no matter if they are on the DL or not. The rule is IF they are on the DL then they must have 90 healthy days to count as their Rule 5 year. Let's say the player is on your roster and healthy for 80 days then the next year they have to be on your roster healthy for 10 days.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Yes, could go one step further and elimate that too tho
I like the position based star ratings. It helps you get a quick take of the position depth and talent.

League based 80-20 ratings are interesting. What are your thoughts on that?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
They have to be on your ML roster the whole year no matter if they are on the DL or not. The rule is IF they are on the DL then they must have 90 healthy days to count as their Rule 5 year. Let's say the player is on your roster and healthy for 80 days then the next year they have to be on your roster healthy for 10 days.

Right but they only have to take an active roster spot for 90 days is what I'm saying.

Also here is the ratings settings

rFU4oM4.png

I have the first checked to see what it does but we have been playing with it off.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I like the position based star ratings. It helps you get a quick take of the position depth and talent.

League based 80-20 ratings are interesting. What are your thoughts on that?

Personally I'm for it, although it makes it a bit easier to make decisions. That is the catch with it, it is based on the league in this case so you know for sure if a guy is league average or not

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
You know what annoys me is when a guy is injured for one week, it won't let me demote him for that week instead of DL. It just keeps saying put him on the DL instead.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Well yea that's obviously the big problem but having a bunch of terrible players on your roster stealing money from you is also a problem.

I guess, but it's not like the money isn't sunk. I just need to do a better job then the CPU did of spending that $5 Million or so on the bottom of the major league roster.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I have like 8 players on my 40 man I actually care about, you wouldnt get Gomez or Goosens or anyone if we had one. Rojas has like two years left before being eligible.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Ive always been for it btw, but no one effective would come from it. It would be swapping 1 star players. If thats what we want then lets do it

doh

I have like 8 players on my 40 man I actually care about, you wouldnt get Gomez or Goosens or anyone if we had one. Rojas has like two years left before being eligible.
Yeah I think this would've been better for the UBL when we had problems with teams getting massive profits because it would've added a cost. The financials in the WBL have been a lot better.

To me it's more about making people put guys on 40 mans to a) make them spend the $490k per year on them and b) have to make decisions sooner. The way the game is set up there is no reason to have guys on 40-man unless you are ready for them to be on your 25-man.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Personally I'm for it, although it makes it a bit easier to make decisions. That is the catch with it, it is based on the league in this case so you know for sure if a guy is league average or not
I like it if the stars stay position based.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah I think this would've been better for the UBL when we had problems with teams getting massive profits because it would've added a cost. The financials in the WBL have been a lot better.

To me it's more about making people put guys on 40 mans to a) make them spend the $490k per year on them and b) have to make decisions sooner. The way the game is set up there is no reason to have guys on 40-man unless you are ready for them to be on your 25-man.
Agree with all of this

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Here is a guy with absolute ratings (current)
uaB8oKq.png

Here is him relative to the other WBL players at his position
2pm8gQS.png

doh

Why are we changing the ratings? Aren't stars compared to same position?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Why are we changing the ratings? Aren't stars compared to same position?
Read the options. You can do ratings in a vacuum or ratings in relation to the league, i just found out how to do this so i was asking if it is something you'll would want

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Btw this doesnt change the actual ratings, it changes how they are expressed to us

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I'm not sure if I'm reading this right, but the following post is assuming that right now the ratings are based on our AI scout ratings and those are not averaged against other players and the proposal is that the scout ratings would be averaged out against the league before we see the ratings.

If that's the case, I'd be very concerned about relative ratings. This both dumbs-down and makes the league more complicated at the same time. GMs won't have to do their own moneyball analysis into value of specific qualities of players that are in high demand. Meanwhile you'd have to reverse engineer what your scouts actually think of the player somehow.

It's also completely unrealistic. Scout ratings don't get averaged out, you have your stats, you advanced metrics which are often based on league averages, and then your raw ratings from your scouts. You're basically "advanced metricing" your 20-80 rating which should be a raw number. This really seems like it would change the league and how we evaluate players a ton.

Totally against Rule 5, I don't have time for it for the payoff is next to nothing. It would be a hassle tracking the 40 man with stricter rules and I can just picture Tankee sitting around and make 20 picks because his UBL roster is crap anyway.