• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I'm fairly certain Vandy would be an attractive destination for any potential hires.

Not sure if serious.....

I'd think for a footbaw corch, places like Vanderbilt would be among the least attractive kinds of jobs. Tougher academic standards, smaller athletic dept. budget, history of struggling, playing in a conference of giants, dwarfed by in-state rival, etc.

Craig7835

he's come off clueless in press conferences too, but can Vandy afford to can a HC after one season? And who would they get to replace him? I thought he was a good hire at the time, but bringing in Karl as OC and trying to run that abortion of an offensive system in the SEC at Vandy was never going to work.

Glad you brought that up,what the BLUE HELL are they running on offense anyway & what is the OC's name?

Craig7835

THIS IS KARL DORRELL FOOTBALL

Mason should've been wise with his coaching staff hires.I have a friend who graduated from Vandy & she even said some of the Vandy games are hard to watch.She agreed with the fact that you don't start 3 different QB's in one game. The starter should've been named after training camp.Mason's press conferences are a thing of clueless beauty.

Brick

tumblr_lthzqsNA9f1qmwpsko1_400.gif

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
It's a new formation. The reverse Tee. Instead of 7 linemen, one QB, and three split HB/FB, it's 3 QB and one FB. The center can direct snap to any of the three QB on a given play.

mcnoles

Gary Barnett interested in Kansas job.

Count Gary Barnett among those interested in the Kansas job.
"Do I think I have a shot? I have no idea," the former Colorado and Northwestern coach told CBSSports.com. "Who knows what they're going to look for. It's a natural for me in so many ways. It's something that I would really want to do but who knows? They've got so many choices."
The Kansas job has been open for 12 days. Charlie Weis was fired Sept. 28. Barnett, 68, lives in the Phoenix area and does college football radio color commentary on the weekends.
He rose to prominence as an assistant under Bill McCartney during Colorado's glory years. As a head coach, he took Northwestern to the 1996 Rose Bowl in one of the best resurrection jobs in college football history. In his final two seasons he finished 8-16 before moving to Colorado in 1999.
From 2001-05, Barnett took the Buffs to four Big 12 Championship Games in five years, winning the 2001 Big 12 title. That 2001 season included the monumental upset of Nebraska (62-36). Despite that loss in the final regular-season game, the Huskers advanced to the BCS title game.
Barnett's tenure at CU ended amid scandal. At the time, the NCAA adopted new recruiting legislation due to situations at Colorado and Miami. There were also remarks made my Barnett about kicker Katie Hnida. Barnett resigned from Colorado in December 2005. The Buffaloes haven't had a winning season since.
"That piece of it, modeling programs, being in the Midwest, [fit]," Barnett said. "I know the conference. From my perspective it seems natural. ... It's something that I would do."
Barnett first publicly expressed interest in the Kansas opening Thursday during a radio interview with 810 WHB in Kansas City.
Kansas interim coach Clint Bowen lost his first game last week at West Virginia. Most speculation for a replacement revolves around former members of Mark Mangino's staff.Mangino, now the offensive coordinator at Iowa State, took the Jayhawks to the Orange Bowl in 2007.
Since Mangino left in 2009, KU is 11-42.
"They've got really to take a good hard look," Barnett said. "They've gone the hot young route [Turner Gill]. They've gone the guru route [Weis]. Who knows what they're going to do? I can't imagine anybody having a better résumé than I have."

Gary Barnett

gilstein21

I think he's going to have to break in at a mid-tier job. If O'Leary wasn't trying to plug his own guy, that'd be a good job for Morris.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Gary Barnett probably still loves goat balls, too.

He's not a horrible idea, especially from the University that hired Weis, but you have to think there's someone better out there.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Gary Barnett probably still loves goat balls, too.

He's not a horrible idea, especially from the University that hired Weis, but you have to think there's someone better out there.

Maybe, but if they are good, they aren't gonna stay long. Glen Mason is arguably their most successful coach, and he was still 47-54-1 there. Mangino was 50-48.

I will thank Kansas for Andrew Turzilli, a 5th year transfer WR at Rutgers now.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
He did pretty good at CU, all things considered. Just look at how that program fell off a cliff after he left. 4 Big 12 title games, 1 Big 12 title. Bowls 5 out of 7 years. CU fans would kill for that now.

Well, maybe not kill, but they might put down the bong long enough to go to a game.

Couldn't find much other than the Katie Hnida scandal. :Straight-Face:

Elaborate, pls?
''I am very humbled and flattered that Notre Dame has asked me to be considered a candidate for their head football coaching position,'' Barnett said in a statement released by Northwestern. ''However, for very personal and private reasons, I have informed Notre Dame officials that I wish not to be considered as a candidate.''

The problem was that Barnett was never a candidate. :laughing:

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Didn't the starting QB knock up the head coach's daughter when he was the OC/QB coach at Colorado in the late 80's/early 90's?

Yep. Sal Aunese (who later died from cancer, IIRC) knocked up then head coach Bill McCartney's daughter Kristy. Apparently their son played at LSU for Les Miles, who helped recruit Sal to Colorado when he was an assistant there.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal_Aunese

coogrfan

Is Tony Levine on the hot seat?

Yes. The Coogs are 2-3 in Levine's 3rd season; QB John O'Korn (the 2013 AAC freshman of the year) has been benched; Greg Ward, who had switched to WR in the offseason, will start at QB against a much improved Memphis squad.

You can almost smell the desperation...

Craig7835

Yes. The Coogs are 2-3 in Levine's 3rd season; QB John O'Korn (the 2013 AAC freshman of the year) has been benched; Greg Ward, who had switched to WR in the offseason, will start at QB against a much improved Memphis squad.

You can almost smell the desperation...

I watched a couple of their games this season,has Levine threw away the No Huddle system that has worked wonders through the years in a favor of a Pro Style system?

coogrfan

I watched a couple of their games this season,has Levine threw away the No Huddle system that has worked wonders through the years in a favor of a Pro Style system?

To be honest I have no idea what offense OC Travis Bush is trying to run. It clearly isn't the Air Raid we've employed since Sumlin was hired in 2008.

For reasons known only to Bush and Levine it was decided that we would de-emphasize the short crossing routes and quick sticks that are the bread and butter of the Air Raid in favor of slower developing (and lower %) vertical routes without changing the hurry up tempo that has been our calling card for the past few years. The UTSA game made it brutally obvious that we don't have nearly the caliber of OL or WR's necessary to do that. The running game has suffered badly as well. When Holgerson and Kingsbury were here they had less than stellar OL's, so they used wide splits to create running lanes and motion to influence the LB's away from where we wanted to run: TB's scheme has almost none of that. The result of all this is that we have an offense that is damn near impotent against FBS caliber defenses.

O'Korn has had very few clean pockets this season which has in turn resulted in lots of hurried off target throws. As the season has gone on Bush has slowed down the tempo and tried to mix in more short throws with very little success.

It appears that JOK's decision making and mechanics have regressed to the point where he has trouble completing even the most basic of throws; the receivers are dropping more passes as they are clearly starting to hear footsteps; the running game is a hit or miss affair at best. The result of all that is that UH is currently 93rd in the nation in scoring offense vs FBS schools (22.8/gm). In short, we suck.

Last edited:

Craig7835

To be honest I have no idea what offense OC Travis Bush is trying to run. It clearly isn't the Air Raid we've employed since Sumlin was hired in 2008.

For reasons known only to Bush and Levine it was decided that we would de-emphasize the short crossing routes and quick sticks that are the bread and butter of the Air Raid in favor of slower developing (and lower %) vertical routes without changing the hurry up tempo that has been our calling card for the past few years. The UTSA game made it brutally obvious that we don't have nearly the caliber of OL or WR's necessary to do that. The running game has suffered badly as well. When Holgerson and Kingsbury were here they had less than stellar OL's, so they used wide splits to create running lanes and motion to influence the LB's away from where we wanted to run: TB's scheme has almost none of that. The result of all this is that we have an offense that is damn near impotent against FBS caliber defenses.

O'Korn has had very few clean pockets this season which has in turn resulted in lots of hurried off target throws. As the season has gone on Bush has slowed down the tempo and tried to mix in more short throws with very little success.

It appears that JOK's decision making and mechanics have regressed to the point where he has trouble completing even the most basic of throws; the receivers are dropping more passes as they are clearly starting to hear footsteps; the running game is a hit or miss affair at best. The result of all that is that UH is currently 93rd in the nation in scoring offense vs FBS schools (22.8/gm). In short, we suck.

So in other words,Levine & Bush are running a "what you see is what you get & deal with it" type offense? Hell Houston should consider hiring Todd Monken if he gets fired from Southern Miss. Everything that you explained is a BIG DROP on offense. You right about what Holgrosen & Kingsbury had imployed during their time with Houston was thing of beauty,now with Levine & Bush running things,everything went from ice cream to horse manure

Last edited:

R2D2

Jeff Quinn was fired from Buffalo. Had no idea until just now. Alex Wood was named interim HC.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Last season, Buffalo went 8-5.
Right, I meant each of the last 2 years. It looks like he went 4-8 in 2012 doe.

Seriously, though? 3-4, with 1 loss against Baylor and 1 loss by 1 point against BGSU and he's gone? That's stupid.

R2D2

"Poor start" was the reason they fired him. Gag. I think they were pissed he lost to Eastern Michigan. Buffalo will go back to their losing ways, and Quinn will probably find success somewhere else. Btw:

2010: 2-10 1-7
2011: 3-9 2-6
2012: 4-8 3-5
2013: 8-5 6-2
2014: 3-4 1-2

Probably still could have finished with an 8-4 record. (CMU, Ohio, Akron, Kent St., and UMass are remaining opponents.)