• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Tell me about your coaches that should be/ are fired.

I'll start.

Kyle Flood

Edit: Stealing this list from the other coaches hot seat thread. I'll edit as we proceed.

China Syndrome (Fired)

SMU - June Jones
Kansas - Charlie Weis
Buffalo - Jeff Quinn
Troy - Larry Blakeney (retiring)
Florida - Will Muschamp
UNLV - Bobby Hauck
Tulsa - Bill Blankenship
Nebraska - Bo Pelini
Michigan - Brady Hoke
Houston - Tony Levine

Surface of the Sun

On Fire

Hawaii - Norm Chow
UVA - Mike London

Toasty
Iowa St. - Paul Rhoads

Warm

Warming Up
Georgia Tech - Paul Johnson
FIU - Ron Turner
Georgia - Mark Richt
Illinois - Tim Beckman
Rutgers - Kyle Flood
Utah - Kyle Whittingham
Virginia Tech - Frank Beamer
West Virginia - Dana Holgorsen

Coaching Carousel

SMU - June Jones (resigns 9/8/14) - Tom Mason (interim/ SMU DC) - Chad Morris (Clemson OC)
Kansas - Charlie Weis (fired 9/28/14) - Clint Bowen (interim/ Kansas DC) - David Beaty (Texas A&M WR coach)
Troy - Larry Blakeney (announcing retirement 10/6/14) - Neal Brown (Kentucky OC)
Buffalo - Jeff Quinn (fired 10/13/2014) - Alex Wood (interim/ Buffalo OC) - Lance Leipold (Wisconsin-Whitewater HC)
Florida - Will Muschamp (resigned 11/16/2014 - coaching rest of season) - Jim McElwain (Colorado State HC)
UNLV - Bobby Hauck (resigned 11/28/2014 - coaching rest of season) - Tony Sanchez (high school coach)
Tulsa - Bill Blankenship (fired )- season over - Philip Montgomery (Baylor OC)
Nebraska - Bo Pelini (fired 11/30/2014) - Barney Cotton (interim/ Nebraska OL coach) - Mike Riley (Oregon State HC)
Michigan - Brady Hoke (fired 12/2/2014) - season over - Jim Harbaugh (49ers HC)
Colorado State - Jim McElwain (hired by Florida 12/4/14) - Dave Baldwin (interim/ CSU OC) - Mike Bobo (Georgia OC)
Oregon State - Mike Riley (left for Nebraska 12/4/14) - season over - Gary Andersen (Wisconsin corch)
Houston - Tony Levine (fired 12/8/14) - David Gibbs (interim/ Houston DC) - Tom Herman (Ohio State OC)
Wisconsin - Gary Andersen (left for Oregon State 12/10/14) - Barry Alvarez (bowl coach/ Wisconsin AD) - Paul Chryst (Pitt HC)
Pittsburgh - Paul Chryst (left for Wisconsin 12/17/14) - Joe Rudolph (bowl coach/ Pitt OC) - Pat Narduzzi (Michigan State DC)
Central Michigan - Dan Enos (left for Arkansas OC 1/22/15) - Kyle Nystrom (interim/ CMU STC) - John Bonamego (Detroit Lions STC)

Last edited:

purple112

Go Berzerk
Norm Chow is gone by the end of this season. Paul Johnson starting to heat up. Charlie Weis is too but then again it's Kansas.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Toasty:

Brady Hoke - Michigan

He goes 7-6 or worse again. He gone. The AD will get rid him to save his own job.

dirt

Trolltalitarian
Sonny Dykes not convincing me until we win .500 PAC 12 games. Def got deeper and we maybe got a nickle back or 3... pass rush and running game a mystery right now. Pass game is full on... potential for top 2 WR in conf. Do you confer Brick?

R2D2

PJ is probably safe if he leads GT to another bowl game, prolly has to at least win it doe.

gilstein21

I would think Blakeney would be safe, but Troy has had a few subpar seasons. Maybe a forced retirement/assigned elsewhere in the AD.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
No way Dykes feels any warmth unless Cal has another season like the last one. Kansas has been competitive under Weiss so I can't imagine he feels heat either.

R2D2

I would think Blakeney would be safe, but Troy has had a few subpar seasons. Maybe a forced retirement/assigned elsewhere in the AD.

Blakeney is a "legend" in Troy, or at least they talk about him around here like he is.

Renegade

Charge on!
I think so. He can no doubt live the rest of his life if he invests what SMU will be paying him to go away well. Take a smaller salary from Hawaii, hire some good assistants, and fix Norm's mess.

sayo

YEET
I'd take June Jones back in a heartbeat. Norm has created a fucking mess at that school. I wonder if the spread boom around the country has negatively affected his offense in a way. During his time at Hawaii, it was still relatively uncommon to prepare for a team that spread you out all game with 4-5 wide sets all game like his offense did. Nowadays, you see spread all the time and have the personnel to defend it. Regardless, Hawaii just doesn't recruit the guys that are needed to do what Norm came in to do.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Dear June Jones,

Come back to the islands brah. We miss ya.

Signed,

The Hawaii Rainbow Warriors football team.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Rutgers gave Kyle Flood a 2 year extension.
1w58.jpg

Last edited:

Ander1345

I ain't got friends, I got FamILLy
Shit, I'll take June Jones at Illinois is Beckman doesn't make it through this season.

He'd have one of the best young QBs in the nation and solid receivers.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
This is a really interesting read about coaching changes: http://mgoblog.com/diaries/look-all-power-5-coaching-changes-2007-2011

If you don't want to read it all, the point is that basically coaching changes are a crapshoot. It's hard to tell a difference between a Paul Wulff and a Jim Harbaugh when you hire him.

LOL @ Steve Sarkisian being mentioned in that article. When you take over a winless program, you can be highly mediocre and still look like a raging success.

Agreed that coaching hires are often crapshoots, and that coaches that succeed in one place may not succeed in another, for a variety of reasons. Heck, even a coach returning to the same exact school they had previously coached at isn't always a guarantee (see: Robinson, John). I also do think that a coach should have a grace period of at least 3 years to get his system in place, recruit his type of athletes, etc. However, within those 3 years, it's usually apparent if the new guy is going to be a smashing success, average at best, or if he's taking the program even deeper into the abyss. A notable exception I can think of was Larry Smith, USC's coach from 1987-1992. His first three years at USC featured 3 Rose Bowl appearances. His last three years included the defection of our best player from the team, USC's worst season record in God knows how long, and an utterly embarrassing bowl loss to Fresno State that got his ass fired.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I generally agree, but the point is more that if you have a guy who is average, it is difficult to find someone who is better. And, actually, a lot of the hires that improve their programs over 3 years are at schools with shitty records where it wouldn't have been hard to improve. Specifically, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota (x2), Vandy, Kansas State, Mississippi State, Syracuse, Washington, Baylor, and Duke all improved when there was really nowhere to go but up.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I think it would also have been interesting if the article did an analysis as to what the wins-per-season average for each program was and how close (or how much he exceeded) that average each coach was. For example, a coach that takes Indiana and makes them a perennial 8-9 win team and gets to a bowl every year is going to get a statue in Bloomington when he's done, while doing the same thing in Norman, South Bend, or - yep, Ann Arbor will get you canned.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
That's a good idea, and it would be interesting.

Here's an interesting fact, though, Lloyd Carr averaged just over 9 wins a year (9.3) while he was at Michigan. Bo averaged 9.2, too. 9 wins is a lot better than you think.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad

Here's an interesting fact, though, Lloyd Carr averaged just over 9 wins a year (9.3) while he was at Michigan. Bo averaged 9.2, too. 9 wins is a lot better than you think.
9 is even better when you are only playing 11 games

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

And Carr was run out of town for not winning enough. :rolleyes:

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Well - 9 wins a year is doing a fine job by almost any measure, at any program. That said, I think almost any fan, given the choice between four consecutive 9-win seasons where they went to a nice, late December bowl, and four seasons where they also went for a total of 36 wins, but they were 7-5, 7-5, 13-0, and 9-3, would much prefer the latter.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I'd take June Jones back in a heartbeat. Norm has created a fucking mess at that school. I wonder if the spread boom around the country has negatively affected his offense in a way. During his time at Hawaii, it was still relatively uncommon to prepare for a team that spread you out all game with 4-5 wide sets all game like his offense did. Nowadays, you see spread all the time and have the personnel to defend it. Regardless, Hawaii just doesn't recruit the guys that are needed to do what Norm came in to do.

Here's an interesting read about that: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/j...-and-likely-end-of-the-run-and-shoot-offense/

Basically, it's not so much that the spread affected his offense, it's that he affected his offense. The Run and Shoot got destroyed not that long ago and they had no answer for what defenses were doing, so people stopped running it. When guys like Jones cracked the code so to speak and figured out what to do, he was so guarded about it that nobody really knew what he was doing.

Guys like Tony Franklin (OC at Cal) and Noel Mazzone (OC at UCLA) have literally sold their system to people. If you read about the boon of the spread, you'll read that all these guys shared what they were doing with each other. Chip Kelly went to visit Rich Rodriguez when he was at Clemson, Kevin Wilson (HC at IU and was OC at Northwestern when the spread took off) did the same thing, Gary Pinkel and the guys at Mizzou visited the coaching staff at Toledo to share ideas, Chip Kelly shared ideas with Urban Meyer this summer, etc. I don't think you'd ever see that with June Jones.

I found it pretty interesting he never had as much success at SMU as he did at Hawaii. The level of play may have been better but not by that much and he's bringing in Texas talent. I would guess part of the problem is that again, no one is really running this offense so it's pretty hard to pluck a guy from HS who already knows the system.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I think it would also have been interesting if the article did an analysis as to what the wins-per-season average for each program was and how close (or how much he exceeded) that average each coach was. For example, a coach that takes Indiana and makes them a perennial 8-9 win team and gets to a bowl every year is going to get a statue in Bloomington when he's done, while doing the same thing in Norman, South Bend, or - yep, Ann Arbor will get you canned.

Leach is going to get a statue in Pullman lol. 9 wins and a bowl appearance in 2 seasons vs. 9 wins from Wulff in 4 years.

R2D2

I highly doubt Leach will be at Washington State for long, unless they upgrade his pay. I'd love to have him at Georgia Tech.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I highly doubt Leach will be at Washington State for long, unless they upgrade his pay. I'd love to have him at Georgia Tech.

He's not really a move around guy, though. He was at Tech for a decade and the only time he considered leaving was after the AD tried to force him out (funnily enough, he was going to go to UDub).

Tech would an interesting spot. He could certainly win more games in the ACC than the PAC. That would be a rough transition, though. Probably not in GT's best interest to be honest. Morris or Lashlee would be a good hire, IMO.

R2D2

He's not really a move around guy, though. He was at Tech for a decade and the only time he considered leaving was after the AD tried to force him out (funnily enough, he was going to go to UDub).

Tech would an interesting spot. He could certainly win more games in the ACC than the PAC. That would be a rough transition, though. Probably not in GT's best interest to be honest. Morris or Lashlee would be a good hire, IMO.

Yeah they don't have the right personnel. So, it'd take a few seasons to actually win some footbaw games. If he does stay at Washington State though, in the next couple of years they could be competing with the big boys in the Pac-12 North.

Exciting.