• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Spread Offense

JAR201166

Got some time to play while nobody was home an my internet worked. Of course it was online ranked so you know how that goes but offensively ive got better throwing the ball I really feel comfortable running a lot of short option routes like Hb option stick an one other one I cant remember the name of...

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I never run IZ (Zone) out of Pistol. It just seems so slow. Dive or Slam hits quicker and I never touch speed burst unless I am in the open. Dive and slam are still zone plays by EA's standards and if the designed hole isn't there there is almost always a cutback or bounce.

@TXHusker05. I love using the same personnel groupings in my wing formations. I have been reading up on a lot of H-Back offenses. Two coaches I really enjoy reading about are Will Compton and James Vint. Compton is a HS coach in Texas that uses H-Backs and TEs in his pistol attack. James Vint is considered a pistol guru of sorts and was coaching at Iowa-Wesleyan, but not sure if he still is. What I really like about Vint and Compton is that they use their H-Backs as ball carriers not just blockers/pass catchers. I also have been reading a lot of Bill Mountjoy's interpretation of Joe Gibbs's offense and most of the concepts apply to NCAA. The nice thing about Mountjoy is that his offense is intended for HS and is quite easy to digest and use.

So in my offense I have 2-3 run threats (3-4 if I have a mobile QB) in any set I put on the field. Any set that is 11 personnel I have my H-Back as my tailback so I can spread the carries around equally. This has been a blast to use with formations, motions and shifts against the CPU. I see no reason why it wouldn't be effect against users as well.

I'm familiar with most of Vint's Pistol stuff, last I had heard he was at a HS in Lubbock. He always has a lot of really good option looks out of the Pistol, anyone on the field can turn into the pitch man off of option and there is some short motion jet stuff out of Bunch formations that is great. I wish I could replicate even half of the stuff he does in the game.

What I've been messing around with at NIU is a half Pistol/half Offset Gun mashup of my Spread-I and then my Osborne offense. I have 3 HB, a FB, a TE and 2 main WRs I want to get involved in the offense. I've been basing out of Pistol and then using Offset Gun for some exotic looks. I'll line up my HB in the slot in Normal Offset and my FB as the deep back and run motion option or/FB Trap. I'll take Normal Flex Wing and put a HB split wide, another HB in the backfield with my FB as an H-Back and TE as the single side WR and run Jet/Fk Jet Dive and PA off of that.

I'm trying to focus less on a do everything playbook and focus more on having a small series of plays to focus on getting the ball to certain guys. In my first game my RS FR backup HB scored all 6 of my touchdowns. He's a battering ram type of back and so I was running a Wildcat Wing series with him at QB and another HB split wide, then I would go hurry up and move to Twin TE Slot QB Power, with him still lined up at QB and just pound it in. It's a great redzone series. I scored 3 times on that and 2 more times running a toss play to him out of I Y Trips.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I'm trying to stay away from gun to keep my playbook from ballooning. I have one empty set and spread offset. The rest is all pistol.

That's the big issue, the playbook starts to get huge once you integrate Pistol into a Gun offense or Gun into a Pistol offense. My Spread-I is 320 plays to begin with, obviously that includes about 40 plays of Wildcat and a ton of pass plays in Spread Flex and Empty sets for my "need to score" situations. I could probably trim it down quite a bit, there is a lot of redundancy.

The thing about Pistol is that I feel like I can get 90% of what I want out of Pistol formations, but the 10% I can't get out of Pistol is some pretty important stuff. An effective motion option and Jet game and Trap plays are really important to me. But I also don't want to be 90% Pistol and then go Gun and have blatant formation tendencies where people know what is coming. Having formation tendencies is probably something I struggle with most in any of my offenses and having played most people on Utopia for a few years now they are pretty familiar with it. I'm hoping I can break some tendencies by using a more series based approach and mess with personnel/formation subs a little.

My initial thought was just take my Osborne offense and go to the Pistol. All the formations and plays (outside of Toss) match up perfectly, I can use Twin TE, Twin TE Slot, Wing Trips TE and Wing Over to replicate I Normal, Twins and Y Trips fairly easily by moving the H-Back around. I just get the feeling that I would be forced to throw a lot more than I'd like doing that.

What I'd love to do is just have a ton of formations with just a few plays. Give people a ton of different looks with a ton of different personnel groupings and see how they react and key in on the handful of things that work. Some drastic motions and shifts would be nice. In my Osborne offense I have a shift where I audible from Maryland I Tight to Ace Big and the two FBs shift to WR and then I can run the ball or, depending on their skill level, throw to them. It's tough to do things like that in Pistol/Gun.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Well, @NavyHog got to see some of the new stuff I'm working on. I think I ran more Jet/Fk Jet stuff in that game than I've run in an entire season before. At one point I think I ran 6 or 7 consecutive play with some form of Jet motion whether it was Jet or Fk Jet Dive (out of Spread Offset or Normal Flex Wing) or my new frontside Jet Zone Read play that I've created out of Wing Offset. I got the looks I was aiming for from Navy, got him chasing the Jet a bit and was able to gash the interior pretty well. I hit Jet Veer for a good gain as well.

Did run into a few kinks in the system. In Normal Flex Wing, I had my HB put at WR as the Jet guy using packages, but there were a few times Navy showed a weird look so I killed out of Jet and just ran HB Dive, but when you audible with the HB WR package, the game has the slot WR and HB flip spots. It's a weird quirk. I wonder if it would still do that if the back is formation subbed out there rather than put in via packages. That isn't a *huge* issue, but as soon as I did Navy was able to adjust. Had another few issues trying to run Zone Speed Option. The read on Zone Speed gets wonky at times depending on the front, I got taken by surprise with the read changed late and almost had a disaster.

I only ran Pistol once in the game, Stretch down on the GL for a TD. That was more a factor of running this at UNC rather than NIU where I have no TE depth. My backup TE is a converted OL. Spent all game in Offset Gun plus Wildcat twice. Did score a TD on a QB Power from Twin TE Slot, otherwise I was all Offset. I'll run Pistol more at NIU where I have a slow QB and FB/TE depth all over the place (4 FB, 4 TE). That sort of multiple Jet, misdirection offense was fun though. I ran a ton of option in that game, more than usual. Again, a factor of talent and speed but I could get away with it at NIU.

I just don't know what else to compliment the Jet/Option stuff with. I feel line under center stuff could be good, just tough to find the right bits and pieces.

I made a modified Auburn playbook that I am pretty happy with.

Kept most of Auburn's gun formations, except the TE Wing formations. Cut out some of the plays that are either broked dick or that I just don't use, added 4 pistol formations (three with 12 personnel), and trimmed back the wildcat to just one formation.

It actually looks to me to be really similar to Clemson's actual offense. And it has been a blast to run.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I made a modified Auburn playbook that I am pretty happy with.

Kept most of Auburn's gun formations, except the TE Wing formations. Cut out some of the plays that are either broked dick or that I just don't use, added 4 pistol formations (three with 12 personnel), and trimmed back the wildcat to just one formation.

It actually looks to me to be really similar to Clemson's actual offense. And it has been a blast to run.

That sounds similar to what I'm doing, I'm working 12 personnel formations to death at NIU. Mixing and matching personnel a bit, sometimes a FB as the H-Back, sometimes a receiver. The Pistol Twin TE/Twin TE Slot/Wing Trips TE/Wing Over combo is outstanding. I treat those formations as an extension of typical two back I-formation football. Move that Wing/H-Back around a little as if he was a typical FB but with the added benefit of a downfield pass threat.

If it weren't for some of the Jet/Fk Jet Dive and Lead Read plays that Wing Gun offers, I'm not sure I would be using those formations that much this time around. I face so many loaded boxes vs Wing Gun sets because people know I'm never going to throw to that guy.

@TXHusker05
How do you run your new jet front side read play? That issue where the slot and the split switch happens everyone there is an audible unless there are 3 WRWRs on the field. I've tried similar things but I love having a TE split out.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
@TXHusker05
How do you run your new jet front side read play? That issue where the slot and the split switch happens everyone there is an audible unless there are 3 WRWRs on the field. I've tried similar things but I love having a TE split out.

Using Wing Offset Jet Option. Instead of reading the backside DE and pitching off the alley player like the game designs, I read either the outside or middle linebacker. The backside DE can't catch the Jet player no matter what that read is and the QB/HB have a horrible pitch relationship making a pitch almost impossible so I don't even bother reading anything as designed.

There are a few situations that are automatic reads. If it is a base Nickel look with the outer most LB aligned over or inside of the guard, I'll just give on the Jet. No read. No one can make the tackle there. Even if the DE gets up field to cut off the Jet, it is an easy cut up field. If it is a standard 4-3 or 3-4 look, I'll read the MLB. Generally speaking, he'll do one of 4 things:

1) He'll rush straight up the field - If he does this, it's a Jet give. You may have to adjust your Jet player's track to avoid the DE.
2) He'll drop straight back - Same as above, if he drops straight back or rushes straight up the field, it is a Jet give.
3) He'll flow hard with Jet - If he does this, it's a keep. But the aim point for the QB is straight up field through the A gap. Don't even bother trying to run option. Luckily the QB's animation takes him straight up the field and even towards the Jet side. I like to aim front side A gap but the front will dictate where the hole is.
4) He'll freeze - This is the toughest situation because no one will block him, it's lose-lose. In this case, I go with whichever guy I'd rather have carrying the ball. If my Jet guy is exceptionally quick, I'll give it to him and just see if he can out run the guy. If my QB is an exceptionally strong runner, I'll keep and just put his head down and try to burrow for a few yards. Usually he'll fall forward for a couple yards before the MLB gets in there.

I'll try and do some videos or pictures to show it later. My game vs @NavyHog last night was the first time I had ever used it in game. I think I ran it 3 times, 2 Jet gives for a couple yards and a keep for a few. Not a ton of success but I was trying to force it vs a loaded box. This isn't a play to use vs 7 in the box, if it is a loaded box I would recommend just checking out of it.

Damn you TxHusker. That makes me want to add more to my playbook. I'm such a sucker for the jet sweep. But I loved that play in 13 nice to see it's not totally broken in 14.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Damn you TxHusker. That makes me want to add more to my playbook. I'm such a sucker for the jet sweep. But I loved that play in 13 nice to see it's not totally broken in 14.

I love Jet and have been wanting to run it more and more but it seems like there are only a handful of formations that have legitimate complimentary plays to Jet. Wing Offset and Normal Flex Wing as well as Spread Flex/Offset. F Twins Over has a few as well. Wildcat obviously but the inability to audible in Wildcat, even with a QB taking the snap, makes Wildcat tough to run. If you're caught in the wrong call you're screwed. I do like the Jet in Gun Twin TE Slot only because you can get a speedster in the slot and put a FB at HB and 2 TE and get a ton of bodies.

I'm not really sure where else to get quality Jet plays. Traditional gun sets have a few decent Jet runs, but not many complimentary plays except PA Jet. I wish there was some Jet Inverted Veer or Fk Jet QB Counter type of plays in regular gun formations rather than Wildcat. Something you can audible in and out of.

I ran a TON of Jet action in that game vs NavyHog, although I didn't run a single pass off of it which was probably dumb on my part. I did run a pass of of Motion Option which got me inside the 5. Jet is so tough to run without some sort of complimentary play. I need more misdirection in my offense though, people keep trying to play games with my reads and move guys around and it is taking me out of my base runs without many answers. Pistol will help some but not enough. Traditional gun maybe? Under center?

RealestCFB

Train hard, fight easy
I love Jet and have been wanting to run it more and more but it seems like there are only a handful of formations that have legitimate complimentary plays to Jet. Wing Offset and Normal Flex Wing as well as Spread Flex/Offset. F Twins Over has a few as well. Wildcat obviously but the inability to audible in Wildcat, even with a QB taking the snap, makes Wildcat tough to run. If you're caught in the wrong call you're screwed. I do like the Jet in Gun Twin TE Slot only because you can get a speedster in the slot and put a FB at HB and 2 TE and get a ton of bodies.

I'm not really sure where else to get quality Jet plays. Traditional gun sets have a few decent Jet runs, but not many complimentary plays except PA Jet. I wish there was some Jet Inverted Veer or Fk Jet QB Counter type of plays in regular gun formations rather than Wildcat. Something you can audible in and out of.

I ran a TON of Jet action in that game vs NavyHog, although I didn't run a single pass off of it which was probably dumb on my part. I did run a pass of of Motion Option which got me inside the 5. Jet is so tough to run without some sort of complimentary play. I need more misdirection in my offense though, people keep trying to play games with my reads and move guys around and it is taking me out of my base runs without many answers. Pistol will help some but not enough. Traditional gun maybe? Under center?

Weak I has some jet. One play has the formation as it is normally with the TE pulling to the other side.

-----X----------------T--G--C--G--T--TE-------
----------------------------QB-----------------Z
--------------------------F---------------------
-----------------------------H------------------
The other moves the TE to the other side. Both plays also have the dive constraint to it.

-----X----TE----------T--G--C--G--T----------
-----------------------------QB----------------Z
--------------------------F--------------------
------------------------------H-----------------

JAR201166

I like to run jet like a strech play in a pro style offense. Wish there was some more jet veer style plays for the people that play aggressive on the Qb.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Has anyone ever run or considered running a single back under center offense out of 10 personnel using Ace and Flexbone formations? I started thinking about it a bit while playing @NavyHog in the C-USA OD. He runs a multiple Flexbone/option offense there but actually gashed me through the air out of those sets more than he did on the ground. For some reason, I think the game treats tight/wing receivers way better than they do receivers that are aligned wide. It's tough to run man against those formations.

I'm trying to picture how it might look. Take the Ace formations with a Wing TE like Deuce Wing, Wing Trio/Trips, Slot Wing but with receivers subbed in at the Wing. If you wanted to use a TE you could add in Twin TE/Slot with a WR at the H/Wing (something I already do in Shotgun). Then add in the Flexbone formations with receivers subbed in at the A-Back spots. Treat it more like run and shoot rather than option. Add Gun/Pistol as needed.

I feel like that would be something unique that not only isn't found on NCAA but really isn't found all that much in real life. Most teams/coaches that come out of that Dennis Erickson/Mike Price single back spread philosophy have migrated to the Pistol or Gun, which certainly makes sense. You can run all the same stuff in the Pistol/Gun as you can under center with some added option/QB run game. Obviously that would be a limitation of going under center but at the same time, there are far better pass concepts available under center than there are in the Pistol or Gun.

I'm a two-back guy so I have been playing around with a Multiple-I formation offense lately. Not just I-Formation but Strong/Weak as well as Wing Gun and Ace sets with the H-Back motioning into the backfield. It's way too much and FBs are next to useless in this game unless you're running the football but I really like the ability to pass from under center, it is a lot more diverse than the pass game from the gun. For whatever reason, I throw better under center and run better from the gun which is backwards but that's NCAA for you.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
@LEGEND was doing something like that a year or so ago I believe.

I feel like I would regret it because of how much of an advantage you get in the Pistol/Gun but I wonder if it might work. Depending on personnel, do something like:

Ace Deuce Wing
Ace Slot Wing
Ace Wing Trio (or Trips)
Ace Tight
Ace Spread
Ace Trio (or Trips) 4WR

Flexbone Close
Flexbone Normal
Flexbone Slot
Flexbone Trips

Maybe add in some Pistol or Gun depending on the personnel. If I had a legit TE, I could plug in Twin TE, Twin TE Slot, Wing Trio TE with a WR at the Wing. I think it'd be fun to take a formation like Ace Jumbo Heavy or Jumbo Pair and put receivers at those two outside wing positions. I would really prefer to run an offense like this from the Pistol or Gun but there just aren't many formations or concepts in the Pistol or Gun to make it worth while.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Well after some testing, I might not get the type of alignments I'm looking for out of Ace. Most of those Wing formations have the TE player with his hand in the ground and when you try to motion him, he motions into the backfield as an H rather than across the formation. I was hoping to be able to do some different motions where I could get that player mismatches but I'm not sure I'll be able to if I can't motion him across the formation.

Flexbone has some awesome motions though. Flexbone Close with 4 WR on the field. Call any PA but cancel the automotion player and hot route him to whatever. Then you can motion that guy out wide and either get him or the other receiver a mismatch. I also discovered that you can motion the FB out of the backfield to be the outermost WR. Essentially you get this look (he can also go to the other side):

--------X-----OOOOO-----Z--------
-------------A---Q---Y---------F---

If you play a HB that has some pass catch skills at FB, that could be filthy. Didn't really get around to testing the motions out of other Flexbone sets. I would kill for a Shotgun version of that exact alignment. Double Wing with the ability to motion a HB out wide. I guess Gun Tight gets you close but there isn't much threat of run out of that formation.

I really just want to get some different alignments and motions out of this game. I feel like everything is just so bland and generic right now. Some unbalanced sets, some weird alignments, just something different would be nice. Nebraska has used this formation a ton this year:

-------OOOOO-------------Z-----X-----
------H-------------A------------------
----------Q-----------------------------
----------T-----------------------------

Pretty much just Inside Zone, Split Zone, Tight Power, Speed Option, Bubble and the occasional Jet/Fk Jet IZ with the A receiver coming across the formation. The closest thing to that formation would probably be Trio Unbalanced with the TE motioned across. We'll do the same alignment with a Full House backfield with the H and A players replaced by HBs in the Diamond. I don't like a ton of the things Tim Beck does as OC but he uses formations really effectively, especially unbalanced formations.

LEGEND

@LEGEND was doing something like that a year or so ago I believe.
Yeah I thought about trying it again now! It worked great at times and at other times it became too much work!

You end up seeing a lot of funky defensive alignments. Many you should destroy but they blow you up!

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
This is the one of the best pass plays and it's from Flexbone Close. The corner route shreds man and your FB and one of the B backs run dual wheel routes. You can hot route the dig to a fly to beat zone or just run as is. As TX noted you can actually pass very well out of the Flex because your B backs are not going to get jammed if it's press man.

WR_DIG.jpg

JAR201166

Has anyone ever run or considered running a single back under center offense out of 10 personnel using Ace and Flexbone formations? I started thinking about it a bit while playing @NavyHog in the C-USA OD. He runs a multiple Flexbone/option offense there but actually gashed me through the air out of those sets more than he did on the ground. For some reason, I think the game treats tight/wing receivers way better than they do receivers that are aligned wide. It's tough to run man against those formations.

I'm trying to picture how it might look. Take the Ace formations with a Wing TE like Deuce Wing, Wing Trio/Trips, Slot Wing but with receivers subbed in at the Wing. If you wanted to use a TE you could add in Twin TE/Slot with a WR at the H/Wing (something I already do in Shotgun). Then add in the Flexbone formations with receivers subbed in at the A-Back spots. Treat it more like run and shoot rather than option. Add Gun/Pistol as needed.

I feel like that would be something unique that not only isn't found on NCAA but really isn't found all that much in real life. Most teams/coaches that come out of that Dennis Erickson/Mike Price single back spread philosophy have migrated to the Pistol or Gun, which certainly makes sense. You can run all the same stuff in the Pistol/Gun as you can under center with some added option/QB run game. Obviously that would be a limitation of going under center but at the same time, there are far better pass concepts available under center than there are in the Pistol or Gun.

I'm a two-back guy so I have been playing around with a Multiple-I formation offense lately. Not just I-Formation but Strong/Weak as well as Wing Gun and Ace sets with the H-Back motioning into the backfield. It's way too much and FBs are next to useless in this game unless you're running the football but I really like the ability to pass from under center, it is a lot more diverse than the pass game from the gun. For whatever reason, I throw better under center and run better from the gun which is backwards but that's NCAA for you.
Mike Price :facepalm:

LEGEND

This is the one of the best pass plays and it's from Flexbone Close. The corner route shreds man and your FB and one of the B backs run dual wheel routes. You can hot route the dig to a fly to beat zone or just run as is. As TX noted you can actually pass very well out of the Flex because your B backs are not going to get jammed if it's press man.

WR_DIG.jpg

FLeX is very under rated as a passing offense... you can easily pass for 400 yds a gm! I switched from flex on NCAA 2011 when they destroyed my favorite pb... option run!

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

WR_DIG.jpg

That's one of the plays I was messing around with. I also motioned the FB (actually a HB) out to WR on the corner/out side and had him run a slant and the A-Back to that side run a Flat. It basically created Y Corner and Slant/Flat to one side.

I'm not sure I could get away with it, but I'd love to see someone just take Flexbone formations and make it into a passing offense. Add Ace or Pistol or Gun as necessary. Even if you took all of the option out, most formations at least have a non-automotion FB Dive/Trap that should be able to gash the defense enough to keep them honest. Even more so if you add quick speed sweeps.

I started testing doing something like that and it just wasn't what I was anticipating. It works great in Flexbone but you go to the Ace wing sets with a WR there and it is just not effective. Maybe I'll go back and try it leaving an actual TE there. I really do love passing the ball out of under center sets, it just feels better and honestly, I think it leads to more accurate throws with QBA set at 5. I think the QB's footwork is really important with QBA 5. If he sets and steps into his throws, I feel like accuracy comes a lot more often. In Pistol or Gun, usually it is just set and throw with no real momentum. That's EA's game design for you though.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Mentioned this in the BSCFL thread but I had the most absurd, insane, crazy game of NCAA I ever played last night over there. My UNC vs CPU WVU. 24-24 at the end of regulation, it then proceeded to go 7 OVERTIMES and end 85-77 UNC wins. 100 combined points in OT. I scored touchdowns on all 7 possessions including all 5 2PT conversions. I don't know what the deal is in that OD but I am god damn terrible at defense, more than the usual "can't play defense" in NCAA. I mean like, I cannot stop the CPU to save my life. Not just humans, but the CPU. It took a 4th down drop in the endzone on the final possession of the 7th OT to win.

That game was just unbelievable. I finally started off a QBA 5 game passing the ball well, 3 of 3 with my SR QB, and then he got hurt on a pass play. His backup came in and started 1 of 6, HIS backup came in and started 0 of 5. About that point I decided I was just going to run the ball. I ran 98 total plays for 591 yards. In total I ran the ball 67 times for 454 yards and 9 TD and threw just 12 of 31 with 3 INT. My starting tailback ran 42 times for 267 yards and 4 TD. He was a beast, although by the 4th OT he was permanently at yellow fatigue and no amount of rest or timeouts could get him out of it.

I was running a super stripped down version of my Spread-I there, luckily because I started the season with a 10 personnel only air raid offense with minimal run concepts. I switched 3 games ago and I needed every bit of that playbook. Losing my monster starting QB killed me in that game though, he's really good. He'll miss next week's game too which is going to suck. I gave up coming up with a custom offense for UNC this year, I'm going to wait until next year. We're already 10 games into the season and between injuries and ineffectiveness it just wasn't worth it.

I never realized how much I rely on a tight end in my offense. Having no TE is brutal. The only TE I have graduates this year and he barely saw the field to begin with because he can't catch passes. Two TEs will return next year, both will be mid-70s rated and one is a former OL so not like they'll catch passes either. Maybe I'll give that Flex passing offense I was talking about a shot.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Alright well I'm moving on from my current Spread-I a little bit. It has been a disaster the second time through and I'm just bored with it right now. Every game seems to play out the same, start off hammering away with inside zone, defense loads the box, I have no way to get the ball outside because Jet and screens don't consistently work and I struggle maintaining the personnel to stretch the field vertically with.

I think I'm going to do a few different things on offense. The first will be an almost completely Pistol version of my Osborne offense. Inside/Outside Zone, Dive/Iso, Counter, some pin and pull sweeps (Strong Power) and then various options. The one thing Pistol does have is a great set of option plays from Speed/Load/Lead to Read to Motion. Not sure what I'll do for formations but I'm guessing it'll be Ace, Ace Twins, Twin TE, Twin TE Slot, Wing Trips TE, Wing Over, Slot, Y Trips, Trips and then we'll see what 2-3 back Pistol formations I feel like adding. I'll add a few Offset Gun formations as well, probably just Split Big, Split Offset, Normal Offset, Y Trips Offset, Trips Offset, Spread Offset. It really won't be too different from my Spread-I, but I'm ditching the Wing stuff and basing out of Pistol. The Offset Gun stuff will mostly be to run Motion Option and Trap.

The second offense I'm going to do is basically a multiple power offense. Base out of 21 and 12 personnel. Some heavy Ace stuff, some I-Formation stuff, Maryland/Power I stuff and then some Gun or Pistol. That one is going to be tough just because of total play/formation limitations. I'm going to try to take a series based approach there where I just have a handful of plays per formation.

I've been getting really frustrated on offense this time through of NCAA because it is just hard to stretch the field horizontally. Obviously all the same problems from my write-ups exist, the field is too narrow and the offense and defense don't seem to operate with the same physics which can cause issues. But even in spite of that, I should be able to run sweeps and jet and sling the ball out quickly but it just isn't working. Instead I'm going to work on compressing some of my formations and then run plays like Stretch and Toss to try to get leverage and get the edge.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Holy crap someone is going to have to give me some pointers on keeping formation sizes down so I can have a multiple offense and not end up with a full playbook halfway through.

I deleted all my playbooks last night and put together a really rough sketch of the Pistol based version I mentioned above, I got about 3/4 of the way through and the playbook was full. I went ahead and played the game with the incomplete playbook since it was just a CPU game and I wanted to see how it worked out, it wasn't bad, I ran for nearly 300 yards, all but 50 of that was from one guy. Slow/power backs aren't very good in the Pistol, those type of guys are the reason I went to the Offset Gun to begin with. I'm not particularly fond of 2 back Pistol. I run a lot of 3-back Pistol (Full House and Flexbone Slot/Trips) but the two back Pistol sets are kind of useless unless you're running all option which I was not.

That was just a temp playbook though. Trying to see what works and what doesn't. I'll probably end up ditching some of the 2-Back Pistol stuff and replace it with 2-Back Gun and maybe some formation subs in a formation like Gun Normal Offset to put a FB at HB and HB in the slot. Then I could run Motion Option to still get the 2 back option but also have "traditional" runs that two back Pistol mostly lacks.

PSUEagle

As someone that's run the multiple 25+ formations a game offense for years, here's what I do:

Establish a handful of sets that you'll fully flesh out in the run and pass game (latter is where it gets hefty). For me this is stuff like Ace Slot, Big, Gun Normal WK, Trips Open, etc.

Once done with that, focus on limiting yourself to either six or nine play series for the remainder of your formations. For instance, in my current playbook I have eleven sets with only six plays apiece to go with nine more that have nine per set. In all of them I focus on coming out in one or two particular plays and the audibling to something else based on what looks I'm getting.

Since I have around thirty formations, that puts me at only ten or so that have 12 or more per set. In a typical user game I'll use almost every set, but I only use the limited ones a couple times a game unless I see a specific weakness that dictates they should see more action than usual. Doing this allows me to be multiple while keeping things simple enough that I have an answer for almost everything I'll see.

Current Playbook

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
As someone that's run the multiple 25+ formations a game offense for years, here's what I do:

Establish a handful of sets that you'll fully flesh out in the run and pass game (latter is where it gets hefty). For me this is stuff like Ace Slot, Big, Gun Normal WK, Trips Open, etc.

Once done with that, focus on limiting yourself to either six or nine play series for the remainder of your formations. For instance, in my current playbook I have eleven sets with only six plays apiece to go with nine more that have nine per set. In all of them I focus on coming out in one or two particular plays and the audibling to something else based on what looks I'm getting.

Since I have around thirty formations, that puts me at only ten or so that have 12 or more per set. In a typical user game I'll use almost every set, but I only use the limited ones a couple times a game unless I see a specific weakness that dictates they should see more action than usual. Doing this allows me to be multiple while keeping things simple enough that I have an answer for almost everything I'll see.

Current Playbook

I was hoping you'd chime in since I know you're particularly good at being multiple with formations and still fitting things in. I'm still on the fence about what I'm going to run in both of these ODs, but for right now at NIU in CUSA I am running my Osborne offense but with a few 12 personnel Gun formations added. My Osborne playbook by itself with 4 Ace, 7 I, 2 Maryland I, 2 Power I, 1 Flexbone, 1 SG formation and 1 GL formation is only 270 plays so I had some room to work with.

I'll run out of room in a hurry if I start incorporating a more advanced Gun series though. For now I just added Twin TE Slot so I could run Q Power, Speed Option and Jet and Twin TE Slot Wk so I could run Buck Sweep/Counter. I also added F Twins Over since I figured it'd integrate well with I Slot if I went tempo. For now I'm under the play limit easily, if I start adding some more traditional Gun sets I'll go over in a hurry. Since this is a run first offense, I have really limited pass concepts as well which is helping me out.

I really want to be able to move guys around in multiple formations but not really stray too far from 12/21 personnel with my FB playing sort of an H role where he could be a Wing TE or line up in the backfield as a legit FB. At NIU especially I'm blessed with 2 very good HBs, a very good FB (and 3 decent FBs behind him) and a few solid pass catchers at WR and a balanced (albeit slow) TE. Initially I was going to take my base Spread-I and then use formation subs to get my primary ball carriers in different spots, like split a HB wide to run Jet and put my FB at HB and things like that. I still want to do that but I also want to be able to line up in straight up formations and smash people. That is the part that's proving difficult.

There is good news though, I lost so many players to the draft in BSCFL that I'm just going to run a multiple/spread triple option offense and option is super easy to install within the formation/play limits.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I setup what I like to call a "basic" spread raid book that looks similar to what Holgerson and Briles are doing in the running game. It's a mix of old school, pro style runs, options, and the Air Raid passing game. I'm calling it the "Raider" offense.

I used this last night with Louisville to rack up over 300 yards rushing and 300 passing against FSU. The option series busted big runs. The passing game was consistent. I used it similar to a West Coast style (short passes with a few deep shots). I will typically come out in a pass and kill it if the run is there.

I am basing the offense out of split backs. It has the right mix of passes and runs. The only thing missing is the jet series, which I could get by adding F Twins Over or Wing Offset.

I use the spread formations when I want to force 1-on-1 matchups. The empty sets are used as a changeup and during the two-minute drill. If the offense stalls, I have a mini-scheme Urban Meyer has used for years out of the empty set that's a "check with me" between the bubble screen, four verts, stick, and QB blast.

The heavy sets I use for short yardage are Twin TE Slot Wk for a Wing T series, Split Offset TE for a wishbone series, and Slot F Wing for traditional ground and pound. If Slot F Wing had a bubble screen, counter, non-motion power play, it would be the best formation in the game.

Formations
  1. Split Offset (TE Slot package)
  2. Normal Y Slot
  3. Bunch
  4. Trey TE Offset
  5. Spread
  6. Trips Offset
  7. 4 WR Trio Offset Wk
  8. Empty Spread
  9. Empty Quads
  10. Twin TE Slot Wk
  11. Split Offset TE
  12. Slot F Wing
Play Concepts
  • Runs:
    • Inside zone
    • Outside zone
    • Power
    • Counter Trey
    • Buck sweep
  • Jet Series:
    • Jet sweep
    • Jet load option
    • Jet triple option
    • PA Jet Pass
    • PA Load option
  • Option Series:
    • Zone read
    • Midline
    • Triple option
    • Speed option
    • QB Blast
    • QB Power
  • Drop Back Passes:
    • Mesh
    • Stick/scat/spot
    • Shallow cross
    • Smash
    • Sail/flood
    • Verticals
    • Slants
    • Curls
    • Corners
    • Y Cross Flood
    • Switch to one side/dig or smash to opposite side
    • Rollout smash, spot, and POP passes
  • Screens:
    • Bubble
    • Swing
    • Now
    • Slip
  • Playaction:
    • Various concepts (primarily flood and screens)

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
My goal for the Raider offense is to design a book I could teach to a youth football team. Obviously it would be a lot smaller than the current playbook, but it would likely consist of split backs, spread, and trips. I would start with the base runs and then add the jet series.

Mesh, stick, bubble screen, and flood are particularly effective plays at the youth level. I've seen mesh ran five times in a row. Linebackers just aren't taught zone defense that well at the 10-12 year old level. Stick and bubble are easy reads. We usually run flood with a play action rollout that gives an athletic QB a run/pass option. I'd say you could boil this down to roughly a dozen plays and rack up points at the youth level.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I setup what I like to call a "basic" spread raid book that looks similar to what Holgerson and Briles are doing in the running game. It's a mix of old school, pro style runs, options, and the Air Raid passing game. I'm calling it the "Raider" offense.

I used this last night with Louisville to rack up over 300 yards rushing and 300 passing against FSU. The option series busted big runs. The passing game was consistent. I used it similar to a West Coast style (short passes with a few deep shots). I will typically come out in a pass and kill it if the run is there.

I am basing the offense out of split backs. It has the right mix of passes and runs. The only thing missing is the jet series, which I could get by adding F Twins Over or Wing Offset.

I use the spread formations when I want to force 1-on-1 matchups. The empty sets are used as a changeup and during the two-minute drill. If the offense stalls, I have a mini-scheme Urban Meyer has used for years out of the empty set that's a "check with me" between the bubble screen, four verts, stick, and QB blast.

The heavy sets I use for short yardage are Twin TE Slot Wk for a Wing T series, Split Offset TE for a wishbone series, and Slot F Wing for traditional ground and pound. If Slot F Wing had a bubble screen, counter, non-motion power play, it would be the best formation in the game.

Formations
  1. Split Offset (TE Slot package)
  2. Normal Y Slot
  3. Bunch
  4. Trey TE Offset
  5. Spread
  6. Trips Offset
  7. 4 WR Trio Offset Wk
  8. Empty Spread
  9. Empty Quads
  10. Twin TE Slot Wk
  11. Split Offset TE
  12. Slot F Wing
Play Concepts
  • Runs:
    • Inside zone
    • Outside zone
    • Power
    • Counter Trey
    • Buck sweep
  • Jet Series:
    • Jet sweep
    • Jet load option
    • Jet triple option
    • PA Jet Pass
    • PA Load option
  • Option Series:
    • Zone read
    • Midline
    • Triple option
    • Speed option
    • QB Blast
    • QB Power
  • Drop Back Passes:
    • Mesh
    • Stick/scat/spot
    • Shallow cross
    • Smash
    • Sail/flood
    • Verticals
    • Slants
    • Curls
    • Corners
    • Y Cross Flood
    • Switch to one side/dig or smash to opposite side
    • Rollout smash, spot, and POP passes
  • Screens:
    • Bubble
    • Swing
    • Now
    • Slip
  • Playaction:
    • Various concepts (primarily flood and screens)

That's a lot of concepts you have listed but really not that many formations. One of the things I've been looking at doing in both ODs is having formations that are just 4-5 plays max. Call one play in the huddle and be able to audible to the other 4 at the line of scrimmage. You mentioned Empty, what I was thinking was a Quads set that I can audible to from any personnel package. That way it doesn't matter if I'm in 30 personnel or 12 personnel, I can quickly go tempo and get into a 4x1 set to run Bubble/Blast/Verts. I would probably formation sub HB-TE-TE-WR into the quads side out of the huddle so I could run screens with blockers.

I've been running my Osborne offense at NIU and a very generic spread towards the end of last season at UNC but I really want to start doing different things with personnel. I like being in 21/12 personnel, even in my "spread", because I feel like I get really simple looks defensively when people see a FB and TE or 2 TE on the field but I also want to be able to spread people out of those formations

There was a game earlier in the year vs NavyHog at NIU where I was in Spread Offset but with TEs subbed in at outside WR, HBs subbed in at slot receiver and my FB at HB. It looks like 32 personnel on the play call screen but I can run Bubble, Triple, FB Trap, etc. He gave me a really heavy 43 look and I was able to throw a quick bubble out to a HB for 15 yards. That's the type of thing I need to be doing more of because I keep facing loaded box after loaded box, might as well put the personnel on the formation to match it but spread them out.

Simplicity would go a long way for me.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
That's a lot of concepts you have listed but really not that many formations. One of the things I've been looking at doing in both ODs is having formations that are just 4-5 plays max. Call one play in the huddle and be able to audible to the other 4 at the line of scrimmage. You mentioned Empty, what I was thinking was a Quads set that I can audible to from any personnel package. That way it doesn't matter if I'm in 30 personnel or 12 personnel, I can quickly go tempo and get into a 4x1 set to run Bubble/Blast/Verts. I would probably formation sub HB-TE-TE-WR into the quads side out of the huddle so I could run screens with blockers.

I've been running my Osborne offense at NIU and a very generic spread towards the end of last season at UNC but I really want to start doing different things with personnel. I like being in 21/12 personnel, even in my "spread", because I feel like I get really simple looks defensively when people see a FB and TE or 2 TE on the field but I also want to be able to spread people out of those formations

There was a game earlier in the year vs NavyHog at NIU where I was in Spread Offset but with TEs subbed in at outside WR, HBs subbed in at slot receiver and my FB at HB. It looks like 32 personnel on the play call screen but I can run Bubble, Triple, FB Trap, etc. He gave me a really heavy 43 look and I was able to throw a quick bubble out to a HB for 15 yards. That's the type of thing I need to be doing more of because I keep facing loaded box after loaded box, might as well put the personnel on the formation to match it but spread them out.

Simplicity would go a long way for me.

Does this work if you formation sub? In the Missouri playbook I made, I set quite a few of my audibles to Empty or 5 wide sets in order to motion the HB out of the backfield or in like they do, but I noticed it wouldn't let me go from a 10 personnel set to something with 5 wide or 4 WRs and a TE. However, it did let me go from those sets to 10 personnel sets. EA makes no sense.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Does this work if you formation sub? In the Missouri playbook I made, I set quite a few of my audibles to Empty or 5 wide sets in order to motion the HB out of the backfield or in like they do, but I noticed it wouldn't let me go from a 10 personnel set to something with 5 wide or 4 WRs and a TE. However, it did let me go from those sets to 10 personnel sets. EA makes no sense.

Audibles involving 5WR/Empty formations are weird. You can't audible in or out of 5WR sets at all but I believe you can audible in and out of Empty Spread (11 personnel) to various formations and I know you can audible from Empty Quads (10 personnel) to other 10 personnel sets with the back in the backfield, although I don't know if you can do the reverse or with different personnel. I haven't tested beyond that. I am hoping I can because it would do wonders for me if I could all of a sudden sneak into an unbalanced Empty formation via tempo/audible if I catch someone in a bad personnel.

Another one I like doing specifically in my Osborne offense is going Maryland I Heavy to Ace Big to Gun Spread. I think I did Maryland I Heavy to Ace Big a few times with you. That's a tough matchup for some people because they see 32 personnel and match with heavy personnel and then I can spread the field with a quick audible and get my fairly athletic FBs at WR. Then on the following play I can go tempo to Gun Spread and all of a sudden be in a 2x2 Gun set while people are still in a base 4-3 or something.

I'm always looking for ways to get around the absurd no huddle/audible system. I get why they did it, people shouldn't be able to just go Maryland I to Empty or whatever, but if the formation packages are 1 up or down, it should allow you to do that. At least one personnel package up or down like 21 to 20 or 12 or 11 to 10. It always annoyed the hell out of me in my Spread I when I couldn't go no huddle between Twin TE Slot (12) and Slot F Wing (21) even though I used the Twin TE package in Slot F Wing every time anyway.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yep, it ruined a lot of no-huddle stuff. It also didn't fix the issue at all, as I've seen plenty of lobby games where people go from 5 wide to I-Form.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Yep, it ruined a lot of no-huddle stuff. It also didn't fix the issue at all, as I've seen plenty of lobby games where people go from 5 wide to I-Form.

Yep, I never had problems with the previous no-huddle system, even when I played a ton of lobby games. Not many people were inventive enough to actually come up with a coherent series of plays going 5 WR to I-Formation or back. I'd always own people that tried because they'd end up with the weirdest personnel on the field.

I really loved that no huddle system because I could do unique formation shifts with tempo without having to waste audibles. I always loved going Pistol Full House to Spread Flex or Twin TE Slot to Slot F Wing or from 11 personnel Wing sets to 10 personnel to flex a TE out. That's one of the things that has negatively impacted my Spread-I on 14, my up-tempo game is just a disaster because I can't do anything special with formations.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Ugh, I had an incredible game with my Osborne offense against Ram in C-USA and I still lost because ball control and EA don't mix. Held the ball 20 minutes but you make even one mistake or kick a few FGs instead of TDs and you're screwed. I just happened to make 3 mistakes and kicked 6 FGs instead of TDs. I had 421 yards, running 48 times for 306 yards and 3 TD and throwing 10 of 16 for 115 yards and 2 INT. My starting HB ran 28 times for 265 yards and 3 TD, mostly on toss plays and stretch plays.

I need some sort of high speed, up-tempo change of pace with that offense if I'm going to keep using it. It doesn't even have to be spread, maybe something like Oklahoma does where they go tempo but from multiple formations. I just need something.

No guarantee I run that offense next season though. My QB graduates but all of my backs return and I'm going to sign at least 1 very fast ATH to play QB. I may just start him as a true freshman and roll with it. Not going to put a fast QB under center so he can hand the ball off, I'm not Brady Hoke.

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
That's a lot of concepts you have listed but really not that many formations.

Yeah, that's my goal. It's really a Wing T philosophy where the players always know where to line up. In my first year of youth coaching, we only ran one formation and used a handful of the concepts above. KISS.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I think I need to readjust my philosophy on offense a bit. No matter which version of my offense I run, every single game plays out exactly the same. I usually ambush most people early with my run game, it catches people off-guard because most users expect pass-pass-pass these days. But then they adjust to it and shut me down in the second half because I just don't have a counter-punch. The perimeter run game isn't great, the screen game isn't always consistent and I'm just not a very good down field passer.

My games against Navy, Bruin and Ram this year with NIU were identical. I jumped out to an early lead, Navy and Ram came back to win, Bruin never really got his offense going until it was too late so I held on. Bruin and I had a few disconnects which ruined the flow of the game for both of us.

Maybe I need to do more formations/less plays. Go against the grain a little bit on early drives and early downs. Play action and some shots down field early might help, but I face so much pressure because of my run game that I always seem to take sacks when I go play action early. I had a max protect PA play against Ram that still got pressured and I threw a pick.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
@bruin228 Just to update the tempo audible to Quads thing, it does indeed work, although guys end up in weird spots depending on which Quads formation you use. Empty Quads puts guys in the proper spot. HB at the inner most slot receiver, TE next to him and then WR-WR (if using an 11 personnel formation). Quads Trio puts a TE at the inner most slot receiver with the HB to his right and then WR-WR. That probably makes Quads Trio a no go for me since my main goal would be to throw Bubble to that HB. Since you're in 10 personnel most often, you can probably get away with Quads Trio.

Glad I tested this though because this is a great tool I could use to make people suffer for going heavy on me and loading up the interior. It works no matter what base formation you begin in, I tried it with 22 personnel and I tried it with 11 and 10. Worked no matter what.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I think I need to readjust my philosophy on offense a bit. No matter which version of my offense I run, every single game plays out exactly the same. I usually ambush most people early with my run game, it catches people off-guard because most users expect pass-pass-pass these days. But then they adjust to it and shut me down in the second half because I just don't have a counter-punch. The perimeter run game isn't great, the screen game isn't always consistent and I'm just not a very good down field passer.

My games against Navy, Bruin and Ram this year with NIU were identical. I jumped out to an early lead, Navy and Ram came back to win, Bruin never really got his offense going until it was too late so I held on. Bruin and I had a few disconnects which ruined the flow of the game for both of us.

Maybe I need to do more formations/less plays. Go against the grain a little bit on early drives and early downs. Play action and some shots down field early might help, but I face so much pressure because of my run game that I always seem to take sacks when I go play action early. I had a max protect PA play against Ram that still got pressured and I threw a pick.

What formations are you running these days? If I can see what currently have, I can shed some insight.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
For reference, my go-to run plays for the perimeter are the jet series out of the spread, zone speed option from trips offset, and the Wing T series out of Twin TE Slot HB Wk.

Alternatively, you could use quick passes like stick and slot out to stretch the field.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
For reference, my go-to run plays for the perimeter are the jet series out of the spread, zone speed option from trips offset, and the Wing T series out of Twin TE Slot HB Wk.

Alternatively, you could use quick passes like stick and slot out to stretch the field.

At UNC I'm mostly running my Spread-I as I originally designed it. All the wing formations, entirely offset. That's going to change some this upcoming season (we just had Week 1) because I just don't have a TE. Last year my TE was a converted FB who could both catch and block just well enough to put at the Wing spot. This year I either have a receiving TE who can't block or a converted OL who can't catch. I'd rather put my TE on the LOS now and then just TE Sub the blocker or receiver in when the time calls for it. I think that will be more effective than having him in the backfield.

I really want my perimeter play to be Jet as well but the sliders we are using in both of these ODs are pretty low on run blocking and so recruited receivers struggle to block even the smallest of cornerbacks. Obviously that same problem impacts the screen game as well. Speed/Zone Speed Option has probably been my most effective perimeter play, something I probably should run more of. At NIU, I'm just finishing the season running my Osborne offense and then I'll go back to a power spread next year when I have a quicker QB.

What I'm thinking now is just create a spread offense that had a ton of formations but only a handful of plays in each. That way I can formation sub different personnel on the field in different formations and access all my plays at the LOS. One of the things I was thinking was taking a formation like Gun Normal HB Wk but formation sub and make it Tackle Over. Giving me:

X-------------------YGCGTT------------------
----------A-------------------------------Z---
---------------------T-Q----------------------

Then my plays would just be something like Buck Sweep, Counter, PA Bubble, Verts.

I'm not sure how much of that I could get away with, but if it is a small self-contained package I could go to for a couple up-tempo plays in a row and then get into another grouping it could work well.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
At UNC I'm mostly running my Spread-I as I originally designed it. All the wing formations, entirely offset. That's going to change some this upcoming season (we just had Week 1) because I just don't have a TE.

First, the offset formations in the game really only attack the A & B gaps (not counting the zone read and speed option plays). Your best bet here is to use the traditional gun formations in combination with the off tackle run and inverted veer to attack the C & D gaps.

If you don't have a TE, I suggest adding 10 personnel formations to your playbook. While I love tight ends, Malzahn's offense can still be ran without them. You just have to get creative. Another option would be to take one of your stronger running backs and move him to fullback (a la Jalston Fowler at Bama).

If the bubble screens don't work, add rollout passes to your arsenal as they give the QB a run/pass option and a 1-on-1 against an alley defender.

Right now, my Raider offense uses a tight end but flexes him out wide like a receiver. I fully rely on reading a defender to get the extra "block" needed to spring big runs.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I really need to get better at limiting myself on formations/plays. I made a new spread playbook for an offline dynasty yesterday and it was pretty simple for a few personnel groupings.

For Heavy (21 personnel): Slot F Wing, Split Twins, Pistol H Twins, Pistol Weak
For 10 personnel: Spread Flex, Spread Flex Wk, Trips, Trips Open, Empty Quads

Then I get to 11 personnel and it just balloons. Frustrating.

Schauwn

Just made an all 11 personnel book last night. Something like 32 formations and 320 plays. But, I can play hurry up and get to my entire playbook.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
First, the offset formations in the game really only attack the A & B gaps (not counting the zone read and speed option plays). Your best bet here is to use the traditional gun formations in combination with the off tackle run and inverted veer to attack the C & D gaps.

If you don't have a TE, I suggest adding 10 personnel formations to your playbook. While I love tight ends, Malzahn's offense can still be ran without them. You just have to get creative. Another option would be to take one of your stronger running backs and move him to fullback (a la Jalston Fowler at Bama).

If the bubble screens don't work, add rollout passes to your arsenal as they give the QB a run/pass option and a 1-on-1 against an alley defender.

Right now, my Raider offense uses a tight end but flexes him out wide like a receiver. I fully rely on reading a defender to get the extra "block" needed to spring big runs.

I went Offset Gun initially because the speed with which I can get downhill. There is no faster way to get North-South in game than Offset Gun. Not Pistol, not even under center. Unfortunately, Offset Gun's biggest weakness is the lack of any sort of diverse run game. I mean in real life you can run anything you want out of that 1x1/2x2 Offset Gun alignment, but in game you're limited to IZ/IZR/Counter and the occasional Speed Option/Jet play. That makes it tough.

I'm not sure if I will use a Wing FB/TE at UNC. I have 2 TEs, one a great blocker (former OL) and one a great receiver who can't block. Combined using a TE Sub package they combine for one serviceable TE. But putting either one in the backfield as an H-Back puts me at a disadvantage. The blocking TE is best on the line where he adds another gap and the receiving TE is best on the line where he's a down field receiving threat. My starting HB is my "big" HB, he also does have some block ratings so he could play H-Back in a pinch as could one of my receivers.

All those Auburn plays above are exactly how I want my offense to look but in game it never seems to play out that way. If I go to traditional gun and just totally ditch offset, I'm not sure how I'll be able to attack north-south. I suppose I could do something like Oregon where there is a mix of traditional and offset gun.

Schauwn

I find success with IZ plays out of traditional Gun. Also, there are a few sweep plays in offset, i know one of the 2x2 formations have it.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Spread Flex has a HB Sweep play that's really good. It's not really a sweep play, it goes to the C gap, but it's good.