1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Spread Offense

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Discussion' started by JSU Zack, Feb 13, 2014.

1. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

Most of us run the spread in one form or another. Discuss your specific schemes and personnel.

Right now, I'm focusing on a spread offense with pro and air raid influences. I like to count the box and run when given the opportunity. I then stretch the field horizontally with screens, quick outs, and smash. Once the D spreads out, I'll start running the shallow cross and triangle series. I rarely throw the ball deep any more and instead change the tempo and get four-five yards at a time. Eventually, the defense will get impatient, and I'll score.

2. bruin228

bruin228 Madden Mobile Addict NCAA Moderator

Team:
    LEACH
    Here is the old thread, not sure how long it'll stay up: http://utopiacollegesports.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=203

Running a "power spread" offense right now. 70-80% of it is 11 personnel with some other groupings like 12, 21, and 10. Probably 60-40% offset and 65-35% run pass. Core runs would probably be IZ, OZ, Buck Sweep, and Counter. I'd like my QB to be the 3rd running threat behind my main 2 RBs, maybe 4th if I have a Percy Harvin type player. Passing game is pretty Raid oriented; Scat, Stick, 6s, and Y Corner are probably the staples. Like to mix in screens, PA passes, and some deep shots too.

I am thinking about changing it up though. Thinking about combining Chip Kelly's stuff with Seth Lithrell's (Zona and IU OC). I'm a big fan of Urban Meyer/Dan Mullen too though so not sure what to do.

3. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    I run 11 pretty much the entire game. Having that extra blocker to run against 7 man boxes really helps you stay balanced.

4. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Yeah, TEs can really be a difference maker (see: Patriots offense). But 4 wide is in my blood so I'm trying to strike a good balance.

5. TXHusker05

TXHusker05 Well-Known Member NCAA Moderator

Team:
    Nebraska
    Here I am, I am here.

The Spread I lives to fight another day.

JSU Zack likes this.
  6. fonzilla

fonzilla Well-Known Member

Team:
    Chicago Bears
    My main goal on offense is to get to 3rd and 4 or less, so I can do or call any play I want. I find that 11 personnel has the most balanced and largest variety of formations in the game. Probably another reason it's so popular.

7. TXHusker05

Team:
    Nebraska
    Took a little messing around with formatting but the Spread-I 2.0 thread is completely up to date. The Plays/Concepts section had to be broken down to two posts because apparently there is both a max character and max image limit. Still have to update the rest of the thread though, playbook, tempo and putting it all together should close it out.

8. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Yeah, the max media/image thing is a little annoying but if one person is posting all the stuff it looks like the same post anyway.

9. TXHusker05

Team:
    Nebraska
    Yeah I might need another placeholder just in case.

I love how this forum handles images though, way better than the other one. I was actually able to copy and paste the entire post section by section with formatting included. Then all I had to do was click the image placeholder and insert the URL and I was ready to go.

Very convenient.

10. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    Rebuilding my book for Nutopia. Calling it the BTT offense in honor of @Travis7401.

11. C3PO

C3PO Active Member

Do we really need these threads for the 10 people that play NCAA on this site?

12. NavyHog

NavyHog Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator NCAA Moderator

Matthew 18:20

"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

13. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    NavyHog quoting scripture FTW. Amen, Father Hog.

Craig7835 likes this.
  14. TXHusker05

Team:
    Nebraska
    Well said Iceman

[​IMG]

15. TXHusker05

Team:
    Nebraska
    I've decided I need to just start ripping plays out of my playbook. When it comes down to it, I rarely go too deep into the book. Most user games I throw 15 times a game max and probably half are screens. Occasionally I'll sling it around 20-25 times in a user game or get bored and throw 30 times in a CPU game but even then, most of it is the same handful of plays in the same formations.

I hate how big this thing is. Need to worry about more screens and less drop back crap. Did hit one of my combination split screens out of Wing Offset Wk against Best for a TD though. Call Slip Screen away from Twins, hot route the HB to a Wheel and the slot WR to an underneath and read the alley defender to that side. If he widens with the HB, throw the underneath right at the line of scrimmage behind the OL down field. If he stays home, throw the wheel.

Think I hit the same split screen concept for a score against Bruin or Navy except out of Trio 4WR Str and reading the outside CB. If he comes down with the Mid Screen, throw the HB wheel behind him. If he stays outside in the flat, mid screen is there. Don't draw any OPI flags because the ball is out before anyone engages a defender and, generally, the receiver gets the ball within that 2-3 yard cushion.

16. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Anyone know how to get this in?

[​IMG]

17. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    What do you mean by "in?"

You can find Double Posts out of 4 WR Trey. You can run that against Quarters and/or Cover 3. Especially if a user is playing the post-side safety in Quarters or the high safety in C3.

18. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    I guess a better question would be, is it in the game

Any other formations I could run it out of?

19. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    I can't remember for sure, but I don't think there are many plays featuring Double Posts.

It's not really that effective anyway, at least not how it should be. It's a great play to run in the red zone combined with PA (IRL).

20. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    That's a shame. Trying to build an offense at least partly off of Mizzou's concepts.

This looks similar:
    [​IMG]