• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Spread Offense

JAR201166

I was actually kind of thinking about that. For some reason, I feel like it is easier to throw with a slower drop back type of QB taking an under center drop back rather than snap and throw like in Pistol/Gun. Just seems like it times up a lot better and you get a much more accurate pass from that kind of QB. I have a great FB I want to get on the field though. He is actually an equally good runner and blocker so I may do a lot more one and two back pro-style. Sprinkle a little option in (hoping I get a give read). Then plug in some Pistol.
What offense is there for linebackers jumping 10 feet in the air for an int :laughing:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
What offense is there for linebackers jumping 10 feet in the air for an int :laughing:

That 2nd INT in our game was just absurd. My TE had wheeled right past and I thought I had all sorts of room to make that throw and I think I may have thrown it too hard or something but that defender was like Dwight Howard. Normally I would have a little bit more patience to wait make that throw but I was under so much pressure that I just wanted to get rid of it. Obviously a mistake lol.

Atmore

I think a few of the Gun Trips/Trey formations have the same screen but your mileage will vary. Some are way better than others. The non-PA Bubble in Gun 4WR Trio is useful.

Like Bruin said, if it is thrown behind the line it doesn't matter. I run into some Offensive PI issues when I run my adjusted Mid Screen when I hot route the receiver to an underneath route rather than the designed screen. Sometimes the throw drifts up the field and I'll get an OPI call. I have a create-your-own Tunnel Screen I use in quite a few formations that I have to be careful on as well.

On Bubble, it helps to aim the throw up the field with the stick. But "up the field" isn't up on the stick for bubble screens, because it is in relation to your QB and the screen throw animation turns his shoulders. So if you're throwing bubble to the right, up the field is actually left on the stick. If you're throwing bubble to the left, up the right is actually right on the stick. It isn't always perfect, but it helps. I tend to aim diagonally, either up and to the right or up and to the left so my WR has to reach up for the pass as well. Usually when he reaches up, he catches it in stride.
Maaaaaaan thank you! This the best advise ever because I had no idea how to throw bubbles.... I can now throw them in the Flexbone under center and Flex Pistol formations when I know someone is in man or doing crazy man alignment defenses....

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I am at a loss offensively right now. I'm sure it's rust and not much live game action, that game vs JAR yesterday was my first user v user game since I stopped playing last spring but I'm just lost. I know I could probably fall back on my Spread-I and have success but I really don't want to. My Spread-I is almost robotic in the way I run it and honestly gets a little dull at times. Normally I would just tailor my Spread-I every season of an OD based on personnel but I want a new challenge and to just try something new. Probably still going to end up being "spread" since it is what I know best but I just want to try some new things. Maybe a few different styles of spread. If anyone has any ideas or some things I should try or you'd like to see done, let me know, I'm open to anything.

At UNC, I am leaning towards a Noel Mazzone style spread. I'm a huge fan of Mazzone's stuff just because it is so insanely simple that it is almost a slap in the face to defenses. It's tough to perfectly replicate his offense because most of it is zone keys and packaged plays but you can get close enough. Inside zone, 3 step quick game and shallows. Very simple offense. Honestly it is 3 different formations and maybe a handful of pass concepts each game. Couldn't slim it down quite that much in game just because not all formations have all the necessary concepts but you can get close. Split Offset, Spread Flex, Trio 4WR, Trio 4WR Str, 5WR Trio will be the core of the offense. May do a little Pistol in there. No TE. Could tweak it a little. It would more or less be what I do in my Spread-I, just no TE stuff.

Other option at UNC would be to run a more "traditional" spread. All traditional Gun sets, a lot of balance, put an on the line tight end on the field. IZ, OZ, Power/Counter and a developed QB run game. Similar to Florida under Urban Meyer. That would be a bit more diverse offense but not sure the TE could pull this off. The one benefit that style of spread would give me over a Mazzone spread would be a legit QB run game and an east-west run game to stretch the field with some quick backs and receivers.

At NIU, who the hell knows. I don't remember the last time I had to deal with a mid-60s speed QB. Rest of the team is pretty solid. HB depth is nice, really solid balanced FB, blocking TEs and WR depth. I could honestly run a spread with these guys but not sure it would make a lot of sense with this QB. Some of the up-tempo "pro-style" stuff Oklahoma used to do with Bradford might not be a bad idea. That or just line up in a Stanford or San Francisco style offense and just grind it.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I jus hope you figure it out by the time you play navyhog an kick his ass.

Haha me too. I had Navy's number for a long time the first time through NCAA 14. Like everything I do on offense I do knowing it'll have to be used against him some day and it better work lol.

I'm more concerned with having something figured out by the time I play you next week in BSCFL. I quickly put together a Mazzone-style spread offense last night, although I ended up running Empty like 90% of the game when I used it.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
What type of offense is everyone running these days? It seems like just about everyone is running something a little atypical of what they usually run. For a while in NCAA 13 I was the only person running my style of offense, Gun Offset power run and it took people by surprise each week. Now it seems like people face some version of a Spread Gun zone offense every week. My first game with JAR in CUSA was basically mirrored offenses, I ran my Spread-I (albeit a very slimmed down version) and I felt like I was facing myself when he was on offense. IZ, IZR, Smash/Corner, Screens. I really want to do something different than most people are running. I just don't know what that might be.

At NIU it'll be easy, I want to go heavy pro-style. Power/play action. I don't think many people are running that style of offense. I think Zack might be the only one. At UNC, I truly do not know. UNC has so much skill position talent but it lacks talent in the one place my offenses usually require it, TE. If I take the TE out, I'm pretty much limited to IZ/IZR and passing a lot. If I leave the TE out there, I'm taking a good player off the field for a decent but unspectacular FB/TE hybrid. Who may or may not actually do his job.

The no-TE Mazzone style spread I made last night was interesting. It is pretty much the Spread-I with the "I" stripped out. Split Offset, Spread Flex, Trio 4WR/Str and a few Empty sets. Got it under 200 plays and probably could have done less. I ended up in the Empty sets most the game and I threw 63 times. To be fair, at least half of those were "now" screens. I can get a nearly automatic 4 yards slinging it out wide vs off coverage the way I set my screen up. That might not be a bad way to get my HBs the ball in space without actually having to hand it to them. Formation sub them way out wide so I get a mismatch inside with a 3rd or 4th string CB or S or LB on my best receivers, vs tight coverage just run something to the slots. Vs off coverage fire the screen out there. A mostly Empty offense would probably be unique, not may people are very comfortable going Empty full time because of how easy it is to press everyone but I think I have the personnel to make it work if I wanted to.

I like running empty in the red zone one read an go lol

I love Empty inside the 5, which is completely backwards but I love doing it. Especially Empty Wing Trio. You can run a quick Z Spot roll out play or if the defense covers all the WRs, just audible to QB Power and run it for an easy score.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I wish there was a Qb power or blast in 5 wide in Auburn's playbook ;/

Yeah if you want a legit QB run game, you have to make a custom playbook. Even teams that have a QB centric run game don't have very many designed QB runs in their default playbooks. A QB run game is part of the reason I'm so hesitant to run my Spread-I or any variation of it at UNC, I want designed QB runs. I don't want my QB run game to be decided on options because it is so easy for people to mess with options, either with coach settings or my manually scrap exchanging. QB Blast/QB Power can be so deadly in this game.

At some point this time through NCAA I really want to run a Stanford style offense, but from the Gun with the QB as the primary runner. Basically what NIU did with Jordan Lynch or Kansas State with Klein. Line up in formations like Gun Ace or Twin TE Slot, maybe even put an extra OL or two on the field and just run QB Power. Can't do it at NIU obviously because my QB is a turtle but maybe I can do something like that at UNC at some point. Hell I could probably do it this season. Just go Empty all game and then add a jumbo package where I go like Gun Ace with 7 OL :thumbsup:

Atmore

Yeah if you want a legit QB run game, you have to make a custom playbook. Even teams that have a QB centric run game don't have very many designed QB runs in their default playbooks. A QB run game is part of the reason I'm so hesitant to run my Spread-I or any variation of it at UNC, I want designed QB runs. I don't want my QB run game to be decided on options because it is so easy for people to mess with options, either with coach settings or my manually scrap exchanging. QB Blast/QB Power can be so deadly in this game.

At some point this time through NCAA I really want to run a Stanford style offense, but from the Gun with the QB as the primary runner. Basically what NIU did with Jordan Lynch or Kansas State with Klein. Line up in formations like Gun Ace or Twin TE Slot, maybe even put an extra OL or two on the field and just run QB Power. Can't do it at NIU obviously because my QB is a turtle but maybe I can do something like that at UNC at some point. Hell I could probably do it this season. Just go Empty all game and then add a jumbo package where I go like Gun Ace with 7 OL :thumbsup:
How do you run QB Blast and Power? I get blown up.... I've tried not pressing anything until after 2 steps or so by CPU but soon as I take control defenders fet off blocks and make the tackle

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
How do you run QB Blast and Power? I get blown up.... I've tried not pressing anything until after 2 steps or so by CPU but soon as I take control defenders fet off blocks and make the tackle

You run them very, very carefully. In the case of Blast, be patient and don't sprint until a hole opens up. You'll never know which hole will open and where, so it helps to be patient. If you're running Blast out of a formation with a HB in the backfield (Ace, Trips Wk), you're likely going to cut off the back's block but who the back blocks will vary so just be patient and be ready to go any direction. I prefer Blast out of Empty sets so I don't have to worry about my back going crazy.

This trick to QB Power is running to the side you have numbers. The best thing about QB Power is it can be flipped at the line of scrimmage and run either direction. Divide the field in half and run it to the side you have numbers. Don't forget you can motion TEs in and out of the formation to gain a numbers advantage. In terms of actually running the play, treat it just like outside zone/stretch. You want to bounce that run until you have to cut up and when you do have to cut, make it one cut and go. There will be times your back and pulling guard get caught up in traffic and you have to cut it behind them, there will be times they get the edge and you can run outside to pay dirt.

---------------F---------------$---------------
----------------------M--S--------------------
-------C------W----E-T-T-E----C---------------
-------X------------OOOOOY-------------------
-------------Z--------------H------------------
-----------------------Q-T---------------------

When you see something like that, you want to run power right. You've got 6 players blocking 5 (I don't count the center because he's blocking back). You're also likely to have to cut that one up because even though it is a tiny DB, the CB will set the edge and force you inside. The other common defense you'll face is this:

------------------------F----------------------
--------------------W--M--S-------------------
-------C------WS---E--T--E---$---C-----------
-------------Z--------------H------------------

That's your standard 3-3-5 which seems to be common amongst users. 3-3-5 is tough to run outside against in this game because no matter what formation you're in, the CB will stay on that side of the field. In this case you have 7 blockers having to block 7 guys including a tight overhang player and 4 inside the box. You aren't going to be able to run QB Power to the right against that, especially against users who manually control the FS and fly up in run support. The good news is you can flip this play and run QB Power to the left, shifting the H-Back to the other side of the formation and regain your numbers advantage.

------------------------F----------------------
--------------------W--M--S-------------------
-------C------WS---E--T--E---$---C-----------

-------------Z-----H----------------------------

You regain your numbers advantage going that direction, with 7 guys blocking 6. I like to snap the ball the moment the H-Back clears the guard so the defense can't readjust. In that case, treat it like inside zone, you want to burrow straight up field as fast as you can and cut once off the block of your HB (similar to Blast).

I drew these up out of Twin TE Slot since that is the formation I use most for QB Power, but the advice remains the same if you're in Normal or Y Trips or Spread. Divide the field in half, starting with the first player alone over or playside of the center.

Atmore

....to me it always seems like the QB is running in mud the first couple of steps just like on inverted veers.... for me even when there is space or a hole I don't get much

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
....to me it always seems like the QB is running in mud the first couple of steps just like on inverted veers.... for me even when there is space or a hole I don't get much

Inverted Veer is another problem all together. I just don't run it, not out of traditional gun sets anyway. Occasionally I'll run it out of Wildcat/F Twins. There is too much run through from linebackers and the QB takes a few false steps the wrong way. That animation is a little messed up. Inverted Veer just isn't worth the effort.

Atmore

Inverted Veer is another problem all together. I just don't run it, not out of traditional gun sets anyway. Occasionally I'll run it out of Wildcat/F Twins. There is too much run through from linebackers and the QB takes a few false steps the wrong way. That animation is a little messed up. Inverted Veer just isn't worth the effort.
Inverted Veers and QB power were both plays I just gave up trying lol.... Now Inverted Veer playactions are some great plays out of any shotgun formation

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I would definitely recommend going back to QB Power and trying again. I could run QB Power every play of the game if I had the right personnel and wanted my QB to be my primary ball carrier. Which I rarely do but it is the thought that counts.

Inverted Veers and QB power were both plays I just gave up trying lol.... Now Inverted Veer playactions are some great plays out of any shotgun formation

I ignore both of them totally.

The only designed QB run I use is QB Wrap. And I prefer the versions of it where the play is designed to go into the gap between the Guard and Tackle to the ones where it is designed to go outside the tackle. But both versions work as designed. They are both vulnerable if the the defense is bringing extra pressure with LBs, but against a base D or blitzes coming from the wrong spots they are devastating.

At UNC, I am leaning towards a Noel Mazzone style spread. I'm a huge fan of Mazzone's stuff just because it is so insanely simple that it is almost a slap in the face to defenses. It's tough to perfectly replicate his offense because most of it is zone keys and packaged plays but you can get close enough. Inside zone, 3 step quick game and shallows. Very simple offense. Honestly it is 3 different formations and maybe a handful of pass concepts each game. Couldn't slim it down quite that much in game just because not all formations have all the necessary concepts but you can get close. Split Offset, Spread Flex, Trio 4WR, Trio 4WR Str, 5WR Trio will be the core of the offense. May do a little Pistol in there. No TE. Could tweak it a little. It would more or less be what I do in my Spread-I, just no TE stuff.

I am a big fan of Mazzone and his offense. I think you might be limiting yourself a little too much in terms of concepts and formations though. From what I have seen of Mazzone at UCLA and ASU, there is a bit more diversity in what he does than you are describing.

LEGEND

I've finally ...after a yr of testing every type of spread I could think of nailed down my offense. I've spent countless hrs trying to get the vision in my head into a product on the field. It's a 10 & 11 personel run heavy scheme.

I can adapt it to almost any look through motion. It's made playing this game fun again!

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I've finally ...after a yr of testing every type of spread I could think of nailed down my offense. I've spent countless hrs trying to get the vision in my head into a product on the field. It's a 10 & 11 personel run heavy scheme.

I can adapt it to almost any look through motion. It's made playing this game fun again!

Bring your ass and it's offense over into one of the ODs old man. :]

LEGEND

@bruin228 runs the Conf USA and Fagtastic runs the BSCFL. Air Force, which was user controlled, is pretty good.

You will be happy to know that passing accuracy is 10.

I might want to build my team up! I'm thinking 1 or 2 star program. I'm ok with getting thumped for a few yrs.

My favorite dyn currently is a 3star team I took when evereyone picked 6 star teams. I'm now 6 star and knocked three time and defending champs #1 Miami (user) off last night.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I might want to build my team up! I'm thinking 1 or 2 star program. I'm ok with getting thumped for a few yrs.

My favorite dyn currently is a 3star team I took when evereyone picked 6 star teams. I'm now 6 star and knocked three time and defending champs #1 Miami (user) off last night.

Oh yeah you will probably get thumped (it's the 3rd year and I have UTEP to 90 OVR/4-star). It doesn't matter to me. Work it out with @bruin228 as far as what team you want. If you really want to take on a challenge you could look at FAU or FIU.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
For TXHusker05:

Here is a detailed Mazzone drop back passing playbook. It is from his NZone system that is sold to HS and small college programs:

NZone Dropback Passing Playbook

Yeah it's pretty much your air raid staples, although he slimmed it down considerably at Arizona State. I haven't seen enough of UCLA except for them blowing the doors off of Nebraska to know what he's doing there. I do seem to remember more TE stuff at UCLA than ASU, but that was when Joseph Fauria was there. It's pretty much 2x1/2x2/3x1 inside zone based with a lot of stick/snag/slants type of a quick game and a shit ton of Shallow/Drive and a ton of screens. It really is quite simple, even in the NZone pass game PDF, most of the pass concepts are just slight adjustments off of each other like a slant turning into a snag or a hitch & go off of a hitch.

The problem with doing Mazzone in game is that you can't create any packaged concepts. Makes it tough to do exactly what Mazzone does, most of these routes aren't even really in the game. You can get Scat/Snag in a few formations but the receivers have different alignments for those plays and most users can identify it almost immediately. You can do most of the screens, most of the drop back passing game and some of the quick stuff but not packaged in a similar way. That's great information though, I've only seen some of the "official" NZone stuff but not much on the pass game. Got a few ideas for screens out of that PDF.

I'm going to try it tonight against JAR with UNC though. I just want to see how it works. I may be able to get away with it.

Yeah it's pretty much your air raid staples, although he slimmed it down considerably at Arizona State. I haven't seen enough of UCLA except for them blowing the doors off of Nebraska to know what he's doing there. I do seem to remember more TE stuff at UCLA than ASU, but that was when Joseph Fauria was there. It's pretty much 2x1/2x2/3x1 inside zone based with a lot of stick/snag/slants type of a quick game and a shit ton of Shallow/Drive and a ton of screens. It really is quite simple, even in the NZone pass game PDF, most of the pass concepts are just slight adjustments off of each other like a slant turning into a snag or a hitch & go off of a hitch.

The problem with doing Mazzone in game is that you can't create any packaged concepts. Makes it tough to do exactly what Mazzone does, most of these routes aren't even really in the game. You can get Scat/Snag in a few formations but the receivers have different alignments for those plays and most users can identify it almost immediately. You can do most of the screens, most of the drop back passing game and some of the quick stuff but not packaged in a similar way. That's great information though, I've only seen some of the "official" NZone stuff but not much on the pass game. Got a few ideas for screens out of that PDF.

I'm going to try it tonight against JAR with UNC though. I just want to see how it works. I may be able to get away with it.

He sure loves that quick pass to the back motioning out into the flat. Texas A&M also killed South Carolina with that. As far as I can tell passed to backs on flares into the flat are especially broke-dick in the final version of the game.

The spread playbook that I use is heavily influenced by my understanding of the Mazzone offense, but I use a decent amount of 11 personnel.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
It may have been the off and on lag ruining my rhythm but the Mazzone offense was a dumpster fire. Maybe it is just because the type of defense JAR runs (a lot of odd fronts with aggressive option D and press coverage) but absolutely nothing worked except verticals. Verticals won me the game. 6'4" press-break receivers outside are helpful.

Pistol also worked pretty well, I had a great Pistol Full House series I ran up-tempo but didn't spend a lot of time in it. It is tough to run against JAR so I won't rush to judgment but I also didn't like the pass game options. Offset Gun just doesn't have the same amount pass plays traditional gun or even Pistol has. Maybe I can adapt the offense a bit and go Pistol and traditional Gun rather than Offset. Still no TEs. That or go balanced spread.

Final stats were 15/21 passing for 286, 4 TD, 0 INT. I bet literally all of the yards was verts and then a bubble screen on the final play. 6 of the 15 for 114 yards went to Bug Howard who is just a beast. I think I scored a TD on a Mid Screen inside the 5 where my WR just steamrolled a LB. That was nice too.

It may have been the off and on lag ruining my rhythm but the Mazzone offense was a dumpster fire. Maybe it is just because the type of defense JAR runs (a lot of odd fronts with aggressive option D and press coverage) but absolutely nothing worked except verticals. Verticals won me the game. 6'4" press-break receivers outside are helpful.

Pistol also worked pretty well, I had a great Pistol Full House series I ran up-tempo but didn't spend a lot of time in it. It is tough to run against JAR so I won't rush to judgment but I also didn't like the pass game options. Offset Gun just doesn't have the same amount pass plays traditional gun or even Pistol has. Maybe I can adapt the offense a bit and go Pistol and traditional Gun rather than Offset. Still no TEs. That or go balanced spread.

Final stats were 15/21 passing for 286, 4 TD, 0 INT. I bet literally all of the yards was verts and then a bubble screen on the final play. 6 of the 15 for 114 yards went to Bug Howard who is just a beast. I think I scored a TD on a Mid Screen inside the 5 where my WR just steamrolled a LB. That was nice too.

I humbly suggest that you check out my custom book. It probably has more plays and formations than you prefer, but it is heavily based on Mazzone's base plays, along with a bit of a Baylor flavor (in that it also incorporates some offset gun wing stuff). I use it for offline dynasty play and online games. I can go run heavy, pass-heavy or balanced using this book.

Playbook on SimSports

JAR201166

ya im running into what Alabama is with there defense only one really good corner. lol idk what to do though if I dont play press ill get nickle an dimed to death.

LEGEND

ya im running into what Alabama is with there defense only one really good corner. lol idk what to do though if I dont play press ill get nickle an dimed to death.

Press nvr works for me... am I doing something wrong? Are there formations that work better than others?

I have some great man & zone rated db's with 99 press 99 man 96-98 zone and they get torched by the slowest of wr's deep. Guys with low release beat them easily! They just fubar the jam everytime!

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I usually like to see guys press. It should lead to some big gainers off straight verticals. Of course if your WRs are crap then you are going to have a long game. In the Conf USA Navy vs Rutgers game last year my WRs (most low 60s release) were being assaulted at the LOS and could never get off.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I usually like to see guys press. It should lead to some big gainers off straight verticals. Of course if your WRs are crap then you are going to have a long game. In the Conf USA Navy vs Rutgers game last year my WRs (most low 60s release) were being assaulted at the LOS and could never get off.

Yup. Press takes away my quick game and most of my screen game, but I'll happily run verticals every play. Unless your WRs are just incompetent, you'll get a press break often enough to make a defense pay. I do need a bit more developed passing game to counter press but quick audible to verts usually gets the job done.

JSU Zack,

How's the playbook coming along for your pistol option offense? I really enjoyed your write-up and would love to take a look at the book you are using. Also, is this the current offense you are using and is it working or did you go back to your pro spread ways?

JAR201166

Press nvr works for me... am I doing something wrong? Are there formations that work better than others?

I have some great man & zone rated db's with 99 press 99 man 96-98 zone and they get torched by the slowest of wr's deep. Guys with low release beat them easily! They just fubar the jam everytime!
Don't ever play press man unless your in the redzone lol I try to just play cover 3 or 2 with them pressed up. If you don't you will get screened an curled to death if you use Conservative zone depths in cover 2 the cornerback should jam an ride the wideout 10 to 15 yards down the field to take away the outside vertical. I have seen some teams show press then back off after the Qb makes his presnap read.

LEGEND

Don't ever play press man unless your in the redzone lol I try to just play cover 3 or 2 with them pressed up. If you don't you will get screened an curled to death if you use Conservative zone depths in cover 2 the cornerback should jam an ride the wideout 10 to 15 yards down the field to take away the outside vertical. I have seen some teams show press then back off after the Qb makes his presnap read.

Gotcha!

I love my pro spread but, low awr players just suck the life out of you! The whiffed blocks and just outright number of ignored block attempts are crazy! I have a 3* Oregon team in a dyn I joined and against FCS South west my O-Line and TE's simply ignored defenders and blocked no one on many plays.

Rushed for around 250 but had to pass much more than I wanted to!

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

I do this a lot myself, man align and press my receivers but in reality I'm running Cover 2 or Cover 3 Zone. You can disguise your coverage just enough to throw off some users. I run very little man coverage in general unless it is just a zero blitz. I do a lot of manual robber coverage as well. I get burned trying to jump underneath routes sometimes but honestly, if you don't take risks on defense you're just going to get eaten alive.

fanoftgame

I do this a lot myself, man align and press my receivers but in reality I'm running Cover 2 or Cover 3 Zone. You can disguise your coverage just enough to throw off some users. I run very little man coverage in general unless it is just a zero blitz. I do a lot of manual robber coverage as well. I get burned trying to jump underneath routes sometimes but honestly, if you don't take risks on defense you're just going to get eaten alive.

I'm similar to you guys except on 3rd or 4th n short(4 yrds n under). I like to cv0 blitz and either rob with rb cover guy or blitz with him. If I blitz then someones going to be unblocked. If I rob with him I usually go double þe player most likely to beat the press. Usually a recieving TE or best wr. Its all about matchups. I play strickly online ranked so some may differ in low ranked dynasty. But its seems to me 80 is magic number for most offensive stats in game. If a guy has 80+ release its auto press break on pretty much any defender. So if they have on guy like that at snap i immediatley go double him. If they dont, I have to look at if they have good recieving te and if he is way better then my safeties. If hes just ok then Ill let it go because they dont have much time for a route to develop.

The threat of man pressure on 3rd or 4th down will get the ball out quickly. Also I rarely ever see verticall routes by the better reciever on the down and distance. Because people are so conscience of picking up the first it really doesnt make much since to waste your best on verticals that take to long to develop. And if lower realease rated wr go deep there take the chance that the streak wont develop in time which it probably wont.

If non are ranked in 80's in realease I might just send the house n the running backs man and take a calculated risk that routes wont develop.

This has worked a lot for me.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Well I was planning to run a Stanford/49ers pro-style power offense. Mostly Power/Counter and play action to take advantage of my run block OL, depth at HB, a good FB and solid passer at QB. Good plan in theory but there is one fatal flaw... both of my guards are out of position players. One is a tackle, one is a center and the awareness hit they take playing out of position makes them useless on pull plays. They just wander around aimlessly on most plays involving a pull. I guess I should have anticipated that since I've dealt with it before but it was jarring how bad the blocking is with out of position guards, especially on counter.

I'm not sure what options that leaves me. I still want to be run heavy since my OL is extreme run block, I don't really know how to do it though. Most of my OL have a 10 point difference between run block and pass block and I've given up 10 sacks in 3 games. I think my options are boiled down to a heavily modified version of my Osborne offense, mostly zone stretch, iso and toss plays but with a little more Gun added. Or, a heavily modified version of my Spread-I with a bunch of Pistol added so I have some "traditional" run plays. I really want to have some Jet Sweep in the offense because my SR slot WR is pretty quick.

The one thing I did mess around with last night was Flexbone. Obviously I wouldn't run it in the traditional sense with option but Trap, Sweep Sweep/Misdirection might be a nice change of pace and a way to get that slot WR the ball (as a wingback). Worked really well against the CPU but obviously user v user play is a different beast.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I said all that stuff about not wanting to run option or under center so what did I do? Ran a Flexbone, Wishbone, I Formation, Pistol, Gun multiple option attack with a 66 speed quarterback. In my mind I pictured something similar to what programs like Air Force or Wofford do, the same few concepts out of a variety of formations despite being slower and undersized. The rest of my personnel meshes up so well with a multiple option attack so I figured I'd see if the quarterback could do just enough to make it work. The answer is yes and no. The good is that he had a 44 yard TD keeping a split gun veer play, the bad is that he's so slow out of the gate on he got tackled from behind in the backfield on multiple occasions running option. My thinking was that the QB could just distribute on the give or pitch and not have to run that much, but I felt like I got keep reads more often than not. Maybe that is just because it was the CPU.

Had a TON of success running non-option out of Flex and Wishbone but I highly doubt I could get away with that against user opponents. Speed Sweep/Misdirection from Flexbone and the power runs in Wishbone were awesome. Fun to experiment with, that's about it. I nearly lost the game because of glitched out animations in those sets. I had a 4th & 1 FB Trap call where my QB just ran into my FB and fell down.

It's already Week 8 in the CUSA OD so I will probably just roll with generic pre-made offenses until the end of the year rather than worry about designing something around guys that are about to graduate.

Last edited:

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Anybody have any good sliders for offline dynastys? I guess I will go that route since I have horrible internet...

This is what we were playing with in the BSCFL and CONF USA:

CONF_SLIDERS.png

I don't you suppose you could ask your roommates to stay off the interwebs for an hour or two when you have user games? I have an ASUS router that was highly recommended and IMO reliable (although I don't know jack about electronics).

JAR201166

This is what we were playing with in the BSCFL and CONF USA:

CONF_SLIDERS.png

I don't you suppose you could ask your roommates to stay off the interwebs for an hour or two when you have user games? I have an ASUS router that was highly recommended and IMO reliable (although I don't know jack about electronics).
Ive tried they wont they jus say move out if you dont like it an I cant.