• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sports Bar Random Discussion Thread

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Aussie Rules has the best single-elimination playoff format. Top 8 make the playoffs:

1 plays 4
2 plays 3

Winners advance to the preliminary finals

5 plays 8
6 plays 7

Losers eliminated. Winners play the loser of the 1/4 and 2/3 games in the semi-finals.

Semi-finals winners advance to the preliminary finals. Preliminary finals winners play in The Grand Final.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
HAWTHORN! The Hawks will win the flag this year. If Sydney end up winning it, off to the pub for me.

Snorky's Shame

Aussie Rules has the best single-elimination playoff format. Top 8 make the playoffs:

1 plays 4
2 plays 3

Winners advance to the preliminary finals

5 plays 8
6 plays 7

Losers eliminated. Winners play the loser of the 1/4 and 2/3 games in the semi-finals.

Semi-finals winners advance to the preliminary finals. Preliminary finals winners play in The Grand Final.

They started this in 2000. The preliminary finals are almost always the teams that finish in the top 4. Only Hawthorn (2001) and Collingwood (2007) have won semi-finals as the lower seed. Hoping Port Adelaide can buck this trend but Fremantle at Subiaco is very tough.

I like Sydney over Hawthorn in the Grand Final.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
They started this in 2000. The preliminary finals are almost always the teams that finish in the top 4. Only Hawthorn (2001) and Collingwood (2007) have won semi-finals as the lower seed. Hoping Port Adelaide can buck this trend but Fremantle at Subiaco is very tough.

I like Sydney over Hawthorn in the Grand Final.
Sydney's top player, Lance "Buddy" Franklin, used to play for Hawthorn before he made the move. So a GF between Sydney and Hawthorn is going to be fun to watch and listen to. One of the interesting things about me is that I listen to the action from the website, afl.com.au and I turn to the broadcast from SEN 1116...while playing simulation golf. Top three radio stations in my book are SEN 1116, Triple M (Rocks Football), and 3AW (Is Football). Really quality broadcasting from those folks; they definitely bring the passion of the game.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I watched the Aussie Rules Grand Final once at like 2am in law school. It was actually really cool to watch. Too bad we don't see more of it in the US.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Yeah you love those ultra short shorts,don't you?

osick87

Community Liaison
I watched the Aussie Rules Grand Final once at like 2am in law school. It was actually really cool to watch. Too bad we don't see more of it in the US.

I went to the preseason tournament final when I was there for my sister's wedding. It's awesome live. Barry Hall scored like 4 goals for Western. It was the year after this

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
brownlow2014.png
Matt Priddis wins the Brownlow in Australia. Meanwhile, it's Sydney-Hawthorn for the flag. You're on, Snorky.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
giphy.gif

Snorky's Shame

Pretty much all the songs are stolen.

Adelaide - The Marines song
Brisbane - French anthem
Hawthorn - Yankee Doodle Dandy
Melbourne - Grand Old Flag
St. Kilda - When the Saints Go Marching In
East Perth (WAFL) - Anchors Aweigh

Richmond has the best song though.

Also I root for Port Adelaide, not Sydney.

goblue96

Pretty much all the songs are stolen.

Adelaide - The Marines song
Brisbane - French anthem
Hawthorn - Yankee Doodle Dandy
Melbourne - Grand Old Flag
St. Kilda - When the Saints Go Marching In
East Perth (WAFL) - Anchors Aweigh

Richmond has the best song though.

Also I root for Port Adelaide, not Sydney.

I hear that when I gave Hawthorn's a listen.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Ironically, Richmond's song is based on a song called "Row Row Row" *not the nursery rhyme song*. Also, Geelong's song is based on the Toreador Song.

HOWEVER...

Greater Western Sydney's song is NOT stolen. It's original. Same with Freo (the reworked version) and West Coast.

Last edited:

Snorky's Shame

Fremantle's song is loosely based on the Volga Boatmen. West Coast's song is also reworked. Basically all the teams that entered the league in 1987 or afterward has an original song except for Adelaide.

Port Adelaide's song in the SANFL is also the Notre Dame fight song.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Pretty much. There was running and passing and then someone would randomly kick the ball towards some flag poles. Adding to the confusion is that there had to be at least 50 players running around.
I tried watching rugby several times. It also had that quality of "what the heck is going on?"

goblue96

I believe AFL is 15-on-15 on a field the size of a small state. Any ball kicked into the 50-meter area and caught on the fly results in a free kick and usually a goal. That's the extent of my rules knowledge.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
So who wants some updates on the National Bandy League?

EDIT: Actually tho, bandy is dope as fuck

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
092714-3.png
Dear Nutopia Sports and @Snorky's Shame:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I win. I told you Hawthorn was going to win this. Off to the pub for a James Boag's Draught for me.

Signed,

The Hachiko

P.S. Come on South Sydney...

ssP1Sw.png

Snorky's Shame

As good as Sydney was against North Melbourne, they were that bad against Hawthorn. The Swans were second best at contested ball and it shows in the huge disposal edge Hawthorn had over Sydney.

As a neutral (I thought Sydney would win, I didn't care if they won or not, big difference) I was hoping for a closer game but it got out of hand in the second quarter. Kind of reminded me of 2003 when highly favored Collingwood got smoked by Brisbane (it was the last flag of their three-peat, they lost to Port Adelaide in the Grand Final in 2004).

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
As good as Sydney was against North Melbourne, they were that bad against Hawthorn. The Swans were second best at contested ball and it shows in the huge disposal edge Hawthorn had over Sydney.

As a neutral (I thought Sydney would win, I didn't care if they won or not, big difference) I was hoping for a closer game but it got out of hand in the second quarter. Kind of reminded me of 2003 when highly favored Collingwood got smoked by Brisbane (it was the last flag of their three-peat, they lost to Port Adelaide in the Grand Final in 2004).
I actually think if Port had enough time to nick the Hawks in the Prelim Final a week earlier, Sydney might have run away with this one. I kid you not.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Chalk up another down year for golf in the United States. We're just as good at golf as we are at soccer. What an insipid, amateurish performance from Team USA. A justly deserved loss.

jdlikewhoa

Mahan choked hard today. Not that it would've mattered after the hole the U.S. dug for themselves.

Either way, fuck you Hachiko