1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Sports Bar Random Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports Discussion' started by goblue96, Mar 7, 2014.

1. goblue96

goblue96 Disney and Curling Expert

Team:
    Michigan
    Who has better khakis: Jim Harbargh or Jake from State Farm?

2. Brick

Brick Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Grantland bracket waiting to happen.

JSU Zack, bruin and Orangebird like this.
  3. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    Only if Simmons can write a 30,000 word preview.

4. sayo

sayo Well-Known Member

Team:
    RipCity
    "Top 5 khakis worn by a male actor in a 1980's sitcom series... go!"

5. Orangebird

Orangebird Premier League Champs

Team:
    Maryland
    Who are some players who have historically had a reputation for performing poorly in the postseason? Peyton and A-Rod are the first two examples that spring to mind.

6. Reel

Reel Off dem Milds and dat Yak Community Liaison

Team:
    Saints
    I think Peyton gets a bad rap for his playoff performances. Dont get me wrong, i think he's had his struggles, but he also has had receivers who have dropped passes, RB's who might've fumbled and defenses who have gotten lit up

Tailback U likes this.
  7. sayo

sayo Well-Known Member

Team:
    RipCity
    While watching the Blazers game earlier, they actually called a lane violation and it got me wondering. What rules out there in sports are enforced looser than you'd like? What about the other way around? I have a few for the NBA off the top of my head since I've been watching a lot lately.

NBA More enforcement
    -5 second inbounds
    -Lane violations (I see a lot of guys that are really good at cheating their way into the lane early on free throws and get away with it)
    -Offensive players using their off arms to clear out.
    NBA Less enforcement
    -Offensive players initiating contact. I hate seeing guys get a guy into the air and then jump towards them in a way they otherwise wouldn't have moved if their opponent wasn't in that position. Just a lame way to play IMO

8. Snorky's Shame

Snorky's Shame Well-Known Member

Less enforcement:

This drives me crazy in the NBA. Team A runs down the shot clock and takes a bad shot that doesn't draw iron as the clock expires. Team B rebounds the ball easily and could start a break but the whistle blows. I wish the referee would not blow the whistle and let the play flow.

9. fignuts

fignuts Larry Bernandez

Team:
    Seahawks Ms
    More enforcement:
    NBA- Travel calls. No Lebron. You aren't allowed to take 4 steps whilst driving towards the peach basket.

10. Bucksin04

Bucksin04 Well-Known Member

Team:
    Ohio State
    Less Enforcement: The NBA's delay of game call following a made bucket when then offensive team touches the ball. Houston got hit with this one on Sunday when after they made a shot, Dwight Howard slapped the ball to the ref who was on the baseline. He got called for it, and the Heat got a free point due to the free throw awarded to them. The score was 102-98 Houston at the time, 4:26 left in the game. As much as I appreciate the refs following the rule to the letter regardless of time and circumstance, it's an awful rule. If the goal is to shorten the game, then it really makes no sense since far more time was wasted walking down to the other end of the court, shooting a FT, and walking back to the other end to inbound it rather than just having the ref give the ball to the inbounder in the first place.

11. Bmack

Bmack Well-Known Member Mod Alumni

Team:
    WVU
    The purpose of the rule is to speed up the real time of the game?

Or or to stop Howard from slowing down the opponent from getting the ball I bonded and up the court before the defense can get back and set?

12. Bucksin04

Team:
    Ohio State
    I'm honestly not entirely sure what the point is. In the Dwight case in particular, the ball was halfway up the key and he just slapped it to the ref on the baseline. It's not like it was directly under the hoop and he prevented Miami from picking it up and immediately inbounding it. He didn't stop a fast break at all.

13. Bmack

Team:
    WVU
    Then that's a situation that would require discretion and I would also disagree with that call

but I didn't catch that play or the game I don't watch that until late May and June

14. Bucksin04

Team:
    Ohio State
    Here it is.

[​IMG]

15. Bmack

Team:
    WVU
    Yea if it's right under the rim I see the purpose of the rule. That looks like a misapplication.

16. sayo

sayo Well-Known Member

Team:
    RipCity
    I think it's also to allow the opposing team to start their inbound/break smoother. Lots of teams were using the grab the ball and look to the ref thing as an advantage to get back.

17. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    Do I spy Joey Crawford under the basket?

18. OU11

OU11 Pleighboi Utopia Moderator

Team:
    Niners
    It is a terrible rule.

19. Reel

Reel Off dem Milds and dat Yak Community Liaison

Team:
    Saints
    Not sure about the NBA rule, but in HS, if a player does that, you have to issue a delay of game warning first. If he or a teammate do it again and you felt like it was intentional, then you can hit them with the tech.

I've called several delay of game warnings, but never a tech b/c after the first time, the corch gets on dat ass.

20. sayo

sayo Well-Known Member

Team:
    RipCity
    Same thing. It's a warning then a tech. A lot of the problem seems to be players still having the habit of grabbing the ball after a made basket.