• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sports Bar Random Discussion Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
NBC cringes at the thought of an Olympics in the Pacific Time Zone. Gymnastics would need to held in the morning/early afternoon so NBC can package them into a TV friendly prime-time tape-delayed format.

I got no problem with LA as an Olympic city. The city already has the venues built. Some, looking at you LA Coliseum, would just need to modernized. Renovation costs less than complete construction. The traffic would just go from shitty to extra shitty.
Im biased but San Francisco would've been a great city for 2012. We already have 4 50,000+ seat stadiums (and I think they would've made the Olympic Stadium the 49ers new stadium). Two NBA level arenas (and probably would've built the SF one they're building now anyways). The events would be spread out. The traffic here isn't that bad and there's very good train systems in the burbs to get between events. Cal/Stanford both have great facilities and schools like San Jose State/Santa Clara/USF all have nice gyms or spaces too.

I don't think they would've had to build anything except an Olympic Stadium which would've been built anyways to be the 49ers Stadium.

They really wanted it for 2012 but the USOC went with NYC (I think mainly because they made the pick very close to 9/11). They would've been a disaster and I think had no chance come IOC vote time.

I think LA will be OK. The problem I see them having is they don't have NFL-level stadium and only one NBA/NHL level arena. USC/UCLA and other colleges have some nice venues though. Traffic will be shit but that's LA.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Im biased but San Francisco would've been a great city for 2012. We already have 4 50,000+ seat stadiums (and I think they would've made the Olympic Stadium the 49ers new stadium). Two NBA level arenas (and probably would've built the SF one they're building now anyways). The events would be spread out. The traffic here isn't that bad and there's very good train systems in the burbs to get between events. Cal/Stanford both have great facilities and schools like San Jose State/Santa Clara/USF all have nice gyms or spaces too.

I don't think they would've had to build anything except an Olympic Stadium which would've been built anyways to be the 49ers Stadium.

They really wanted it for 2012 but the USOC went with NYC (I think mainly because they made the pick very close to 9/11). They would've been a disaster and I think had no chance come IOC vote time.

I think LA will be OK. The problem I see them having is they don't have NFL-level stadium and only one NBA/NHL level arena. USC/UCLA and other colleges have some nice venues though. Traffic will be shit but that's LA.

LA Coliseum with some upgrades could be the Olympic Stadium for a third time. They have two NBA/NHL level arenas if you count Honda Center in Anaheim. Home Depot Center and da Rose Bowl for soccer. UCLA and USC have plenty of venues for the sports that don't draw squat. LA is much lower risk choice to quickly put together a bid than SF.

SF should partner with Squaw Valley or Tahoe for a Winter Olympics bid. It would be a bid similar to Vancouver with all the alpine events in Whistler which is a two-hour drive from Vancouver.

worst2first

I just found out that The Mesquite Marshals will play their inaugural season in the CIF (Champions Indoor Football) starting in February. The most expensive season ticket is $170 for 7 games. While I would have preferred an AFL franchise in North Texas, the wife and I are looking forward to the return of cheap live football entertainment during the spring and summer. There's a franchise in Allen but that's halfway to Oklahoma from my house.

I look forward to the people watching almost as much as the football. A lot of the fans are just like us - couples and families looking for cheap entertainment but arena football also brings out some very strange people too.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Mj6AzS.png

Japan just beat South Africa in Rugby.
Japan.
Just beat.
South Africa.
In Rugby.

This is the Rugby World Cup version of Ole Miss over Bama/App St. over Michigan/GATA over G8R. Of course, they would use an All Black reject to do the work, but...you know.

Last edited:

Soonerfan09

Found a Diner here that has a bar and all day happy hour on Sunday.
$3 Coors Light (@bruin), $4 well drinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snorky's Shame

Is this the incident where a female Hawthorn fan told a Fremantle fan to behave in front of her children and got punched for doing so?

Glad Fremantle is out, boring team to watch with awful fans to go with it. Their window is closed.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Is this the incident where a female Hawthorn fan told a Fremantle fan to behave in front of her children and got punched for doing so?

Glad Fremantle is out, boring team to watch with awful fans to go with it. Their window is closed.
Yes, and YES!

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Well..this weekend in sports was a goddamn train wreck. To lose all games in the ways Nebraska and the KC teams did....just ugh. Sports are cruel bitches.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Thank you. Next slide, please.

u75l5p.png

I just don't buy into this notion that Australians are good at sports this year. First the cricket team plays like a bunch of altar boys against England in the Ashes. Then the Wallabies play like a bunch of insignificant Boy Scouts against real men from New Zealand. This country sucks. Up to you now, Socceroos, up to you now.

Snorky's Shame

Rugby Union isn't that popular in Australia.

The Australia-New Zealand Rugby rivalry is like the USA-Canada rivalry in Hockey. The team that really cares (New Zealand/Canada) usually beats the team that sort of cares (Australia/USA).

I think the Rugby World Cup is a joke to be honest. It's the same teams that always win and 95% of the games are entirely predictable.

I honestly think World Rugby/IRB don't give a crap about promoting the game worldwide, they only exist to put more money into the traditional unions coffers. Same thing happens in Cricket.

Soccer and basketball are the only true global team sports that exist.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Really only soccer, I'd say. Basketball is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds, no doubt, but it's still a very young sport in all the countries where it's played except for the USA (and the PI, but their domestic bball league is a terrible fucking joke and their national team has to bring in ringers just to be marginally competitive) and so there isn't that deep level of emotional (as well as financial) investment in the sport like there is in soccer.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Rugby Union isn't that popular in Australia.

The Australia-New Zealand Rugby rivalry is like the USA-Canada rivalry in Hockey. The team that really cares (New Zealand/Canada) usually beats the team that sort of cares (Australia/USA).

I think the Rugby World Cup is a joke to be honest. It's the same teams that always win and 95% of the games are entirely predictable.

I honestly think World Rugby/IRB don't give a crap about promoting the game worldwide, they only exist to put more money into the traditional unions coffers. Same thing happens in Cricket.

Soccer and basketball are the only true global team sports that exist.

New Zealand toyed with Australia. Australia spent so much energy making the game 21-17. New Zealand just dick-punched them and pulled away in the last quarter of the game.

Snorky's Shame

Really only soccer, I'd say. Basketball is growing in popularity by leaps and bounds, no doubt, but it's still a very young sport in all the countries where it's played except for the USA (and the PI, but their domestic bball league is a terrible fucking joke and their national team has to bring in ringers just to be marginally competitive) and so there isn't that deep level of emotional (as well as financial) investment in the sport like there is in soccer.

The point is that the growth is worldwide though. Compare the list of countries that played in their sport's World Cup. Basketball's list is a lot closer to Soccer than it is to Rugby, Cricket or Baseball.

There is a few nationalized players on FIBA but there is a limit on how many you can have. Rugby is a lot worse in terms of "ringers".

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
6B5djg.png

Ottawa is back in the Grey Cup Final. Get stuffed like a turkey on Thanksgiving Day, Hamilton.

CJ_24

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14173360/mlbs-nfl-paid-showings-patriotism-cost-fans-more-ways-one

THE INFLUENCE OF the military represents the most significant and uncomfortable change in sports in post-9/11 America. Significant because the game, on TV and at the stadium, has been awash in military overtones since the destruction of the World Trade Center, and uncomfortable because the root of the change has been an unstable metastasizing of fear, nationalism, patriotism -- and especially commerce. Like green and organic, patriotism has devolved into a lucrative Good Housekeeping seal for marketers everywhere.
Sporting events often resemble exhibitions sponsored by the Pentagon. The New York Mets and San Diego Padres routinely wear camouflage alternate jerseys. Football coaches wear camo gear and headsets. Sections of uniformed military personnel receive gratuitous camera time. Instead of patriotic, sports feel inauthentic, pandering, manipulative.

Two Republican senators from Arizona -- Vietnam veteran John McCain and junior senator Jeff Flake -- recently released a report explaining the underside of stadium patriotism: For the past few years, the U.S. Department of Defense and the major sports leagues have embedded military-themed programs into the game-day experience, not for goodwill, not in support of the troops, but for money. McCain and Flake call it "paid patriotism" and say the DOD has spent at least $53 million of taxpayer money on at least 50 teams to stage these events, hoping to recruit new soldiers while duping fans into believing these gestures are voluntary expressions of teams' gratitude for returning soldiers. The two senators have drafted laws to make it stop. "It is time to allow major sports teams' legitimate tributes to our soldiers to shine with national pride rather than being cast under the pallor of marketing gimmicks paid for by American taxpayers," the 145-page report notes.

The U.S. remains involved in two armed conflicts, each more than a dozen years old. Terrorism fears allow the military presence in the culture to exist unquestioned, and those who do question it risk accusations of anti-Americanism. Still, McCain and Flake are correct: The public is being robbed of its tax money and its trust, and soldiers are being used. Following the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, according to the report, the DOD paid the Patriots $700,000 of taxpayer money to stage military-themed events; the Red Sox were paid $100,000; the Celtics and Bruins took $195,000 and $280,000. The Wisconsin Army National Guard paid the Brewers $49,000 to play "God Bless America" at games in 2014 during the seventh-inning stretch. The Atlanta Falcons held a surprise homecoming during a game. The fans cheered, but the reunion wasn't organic or voluntary. The DOD has paid the Falcons $879,000 of taxpayer money since 2012 for the privilege. The TV shots of veterans and outfield-sized American flags look great. The announcers talk about honoring service. McCain and Flake say the practices are legal but morally fraudulent.

There is not just deceit in these practices but also an insulting distortion of history and images. The Chicago Blackhawks ostensibly honored Veterans Day with a camouflage jersey containing the Blackhawks' logo in the center, clearly uninterested in the colliding imagery -- the systematic removal of native tribes occurred at the hands of the U.S. Army. Since 9/11, America has conflated the armed forces with first responders, creating a mishmash of anthem-singing cops and surprise homecomings in a time of Ferguson and militarized police. Tensions mount in aggrieved communities, yet the LA Dodgers pandered to police by holding Law Enforcement Appreciation Night in September.

The leagues dispute the idea that they are misleading the public; MLB says the cost for promotional events exceeds what it charges the military and is encouraging teams to "take steps to avoid any appearance that they are being paid by a military organization for any such ceremonies." Regardless, what McCain and Flake want is transparency, and after 14 years of war, it has all gone too far. The real question is why both sides -- the military and the billion-dollar sports industry -- feel this embedding is necessary. Maybe fans should again be allowed to watch a game without having to guess when they're being recruited by the National Guard, and maybe instead of billionaires profiting off veterans, the best way to honor returning soldiers is to hire them.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
3fHyKN.png

*in a Jonathan Goldstein voice*

Dear Nutopians,

In the wide open, wider than Miami world of Canadian football, the West is Best. First the UBC Thunderbirds take the Vanier Cup. And now...the Edmonton Eskimos win the Grey Cup and add to Ottawa's status as a second-rate sports [sic] town.

Stay Western, my Nutopians.

Last edited:

Tailback U

I think Peyton gets a bad rap for his playoff performances. Dont get me wrong, i think he's had his struggles, but he also has had receivers who have dropped passes, RB's who might've fumbled and defenses who have gotten lit up

I think the whole idea that Super Bowl rings means you are a better qb is silly. I always wonder what tom Brady's reputation would be like if Adam vinatieri didnt hit 3 super bowl winning field goals or if Malcolm butler doesn't pick that pass off.

Kurt Warner was one of the best qb's I ever watched. He led his team down the field to take the lead late in the 4th quarter in 2 Super Bowls and then watches his team lose from the sideline and is blamed for going 1-2 in Super Bowls.

Not discrediting Brady, just saying I think people too much emphasis on Super Bowl records when it comes to GOAT qb talk.

Tailback U

are people really blaming Kurt Warner for losing Super Bowls? What kind of idiots do you talk to?

Remember madden mania? It still exists under a different name.

I don't know if anyone is actually blaming Warner for the losses, but he is discredited for going 1-2 in Super Bowls. Happens to Peyton manning all the time as well.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'll give you the Warner argument, but Manning lost the Denver vs Seattle super bowl when he went and made his dad face after the bad first snap. DAD FACE = GAME OVER. Then he lost the super bowl vs the saints with a horrible pick. He chokes so hard.

Tailback U

I'll give you the Warner argument, but Manning lost the Denver vs Seattle super bowl when he went and made his dad face after the bad first snap. DAD FACE = GAME OVER. Then he lost the super bowl vs the saints with a horrible pick. He chokes so hard.

I think Mannings problem is that his adjustments/audibles become predictable against great teams with great coaches.

They know he is playing chess and changing up the play based on their defense but he's done it so many times that they know what he is changing it to. His audibles are pretty obvious, he typically looks at how many guys are in the box, who he thinks is blitzing, and what the match ups on the outside look like.

From there it's either draw, slants, bubble screen or seams (obviously more advanced than that but that's what the system looks like).

Basically the same cheese offense I ran with Craig Krenzel and Maurice clarrett in NCAA 2005.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think his real problem is that he's never been part of the team... He's an angry dad. When players around him mess up he gives them angry dad face and they know he's going to beat the hell out of them with his belt when the cameras are off. NO PEYTON STOP HITTING ME. The whole team plays like they are subject to Peyton's manic behavior. When things are going well (most of the time) they are going REALLY well, but when one little thing goes wrong, DAD FACE comes out and the whole team just folds because angry dad is no type of leader.

I hate him so much he made me have to stop watching the Broncos, lol. Couldn't stand watching him throw one more pick and then go sit all by hisself on the bench. I think he literally had his own interception bench and nobody was allowed to talk to him when he was pouting. Then he gets a little plantar faciatis boo-boo and he doesn't even travel with the team or join them on the sideline for home games.

Tailback U

I think his real problem is that he's never been part of the team... He's an angry dad. When players around him mess up he gives them angry dad face and they know he's going to beat the hell out of them with his belt when the cameras are off. NO PEYTON STOP HITTING ME. The whole team plays like they are subject to Peyton's manic behavior. When things are going well (most of the time) they are going REALLY well, but when one little thing goes wrong, DAD FACE comes out and the whole team just folds because angry dad is no type of leader.

I hate him so much he made me have to stop watching the Broncos, lol. Couldn't stand watching him throw one more pick and then go sit all by hisself on the bench. I think he literally had his own interception bench and nobody was allowed to talk to him when he was pouting. Then he gets a little plantar faciatis boo-boo and he doesn't even travel with the team or join them on the sideline for home games.

lol...wow that's some take. From everything I've read and heard he's the ultimate team player and leader. Either that or he's just really good at always saying the right cliche things and everyone that's played with him for the last 20 years actually hates him.

He was at the New England game...guess he didn't travel to the other ones? Either way he probably shouldn't even be walking if his plantar aponeurosis is torn. That's a really painful injury.

Bdub

According to the Broncos he was in the locker room watching the game because he was told he shouldn't be out on the sideline standing that long. According to them he and Bork went over a bunch of stuff at halftime.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
According to the Broncos he was in the locker room watching the game because he was told he shouldn't be out on the sideline standing that long. According to them he and Bork went over a bunch of stuff at halftime.

Peyton can't sit down on the bench? Nah, b, it was "too cold" or some weak shit like that. I'm sure at halftime he told brick how disappointed he was in every receiver he missed.

He's the perfect "press conference leader" and he says all the right things, but if you actually watch him on the field and on the sideline he's the exact opposite. He reminds me of JJ WATT, media loves him because he says all the right things but he's just a robot who calcultes what the media wants to hear. If you actually watch how he carries hisself on the field, he rips into players like angry dad (not in a constructive or team focused way) and then mostly sits by hisself on the bench calculating all the negatives and positives of the last drive in his cyborg brain. BEEP BOOP BEEP BOOP. He's the worst teammate and a terrible leader and you can tell by how his teams tend to fold at the first sign of adversity. Then he blames something like the crowd noise for his problems. SHHHHHHH DENVER CROWD, I NEED PURE SILENCE FOR MY OMAHA CALL. I hate him so much.

Last edited: