• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Coaches' Hot Seat/ Carousel 2015-16

coogrfan

So Texas A&M's chancellor is trying to get the gameplan together to get Sumlin & AD Hyman removed.I have to admit they haven't been shit Manziel left

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tamu-football/is-kevin-sumlin-safe-into-2016/

Seems unlikely.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/...hes-trying-to-fire-kevin-sumlin-a-fairy-tale/

Sharp on Friday night described the report as a “fairy tale” and “completely false” and perhaps “out of the imagination” of the reporter, and suggested maybe someone, or a couple of people, were even misleading the reporter just to mess with him.

Given the nature of the buyout clause in Sumlin's contract (TAMU would have 60 days to pay him $20 mil) I feel confident in saying this ain't gonna happen.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I didn't realize the ACC is paying them 5 million\year. That puts them in line with other ACC members with their current contract under NBC. Do you know if that 5 million increases as revenue for the conference increases? Or is it a flat 5 million\year?

I think 5 Million/ year is the average, since the money they get from the ACC is their basketball revenue from the conference. Plus ND doesn't have to share their bowl revenue either. Between their guaranteed playoff money and their money for making the Fiesta Bowl, that is another 7.5 Million.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Michigan hired Don Brown (DC from Boston College) as their new defensive coordinator. Seems like a pretty solid hire to me. Hopefully he can figure out how to put more than 6 guys in the box against Ohio State.

Renegade

Charge on!
I didn't realize the ACC is paying them 5 million\year. That puts them in line with other ACC members with their current contract under NBC. Do you know if that 5 million increases as revenue for the conference increases? Or is it a flat 5 million\year?

I think it increases based on the conference's TV payout. I imagine it reflects whatever is being paid out to the other schools for basketball/etc.

Renegade

Charge on!
Georgia Southern hired Colorado State DC Tyson Summers. He had been at UCF for several years years before leaving for CSU last year when his pal Bobo got the CSU gig. He was an excellent linebackers coach and a solid DC for us. I'd imagine a number of UCF staff will head to Southern. The rumor is out that he's going to hire our old OC Charlie Taafe to the same role. Taafe is the guy responsible for UCF's run of success 2009-2014, then when O'Leary axed him this year to promote his lackey to OC, it went to shit. Taafe has experience in the option and wanted to run a lot of zone read from the pistol at UCF, but O'Leary would have none of it. So it'll be interesting to see what they do there if he does indeed go to Southern. There's two or three other UCF assistants I wouldn't be shocked to see hired there. Hopefully he picks up our outgoing GA Rob Calabrese as his QB coach. Great kid, deserves a shot.

Lightningwar

Administrator
That South Carolina hire is hilariously bad. What were they thinking? 1 year removed from being fired at UF for a horrible performance SoCar hires him hoping for a different result. More amusing. Muschamp didnt improved the Auburn defense. It got worse in nearly every statistical category.

Wooly

Interesting, BYU's new HC Sitake, hires Ty Detmer as OC and QB coach. I didn't see that coming. Still not sure what to think.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I was likewise. But with that information stories are now coming out about his leading QB meetings when he was in the NFL even though he basically never played. Plus LaVell gave a rousing endorsement of him a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a trog who will be excited just because of the name. But I'm a bit optimistic. He knows the game.

Bdub

Also hired a first time DC. First time head coach, OC, DC, WR coach. That's a huge gamble and a risk BYU didn't need to take.

Wooly

I was likewise. But with that information stories are now coming out about his leading QB meetings when he was in the NFL even though he basically never played. Plus LaVell gave a rousing endorsement of him a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a trog who will be excited just because of the name. But I'm a bit optimistic. He knows the game.
Yeah, he has a lot of experience with offense at a high level, so it's not like he is coming from nowhere. Of course it's usually better to start as QB coach and then take over as OC after a few years working in the college game. In the end I suppose he is a big question mark with a big upside. Worth the risk? I am guessing yes so far.

Wooly

Also hired a first time DC. First time head coach, OC, DC, WR coach. That's a huge gamble and a risk BYU didn't need to take.

Detmer as OC, instead of just QB, is certainly a risk, but with Sitake running the defense, the DC is not that big a risk, assuming he is a competent position coach, which is what he will really be. Nice run on sentence. Detmer is a risk, but he also has a nice upside. Sometimes you take a risk when the reward might be pretty good. Coaching is almost always a coin flip anyway, so maybe you go for the gold and hope it pans out. The DC coach probably doesn't matter much, either does the WR coach, but the OC is a risk. Overall it's a gamble, but not a huge one.

Bdub

I think the risk is that it will most certainly take time for Detmer to figure it out and next season they would be lucky to go .500 with the old coaching staff. Throw in a new offense, are the fans going to be patient or are they going to turn on their golden boy?

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
If Babers can get kids to go to Syracuse, that offense makes a lot of sense in the Dome. Not sure that's possible. Hell, even when Syracuse had Donovan McNabb they were only an 8-3 type team.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
There aren't a whole lot of Division 1 caliber football players in upstate NY. It's not Bowling Green where you can put together a good team by collecting Ohio State and Michigan castoffs.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
God damn that area must really be shit.

I live in the district which is one of the largest in New York State and has one of the better football teams. The high school gets excited when one of the players goes on to play FCS ball....usually at University at Albany.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon

What WR coach? I have heard nothing about this and can't find anything either. What did I miss? Did you mean QB Coach? Personally I hope they keep Halladay on. He's a great ambassador for the school and the non-LDS players.

It's definitely got the fan base psyched. I think most of them will be patient, especially if they still make a bowl game in the first year.

I'm not completely sure these will prove to be successful hires in the end, but they all definitely have potential.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Ray Rice was awesome before he decided to beat his wife on camera.

Yeah, but he wasn't from the middle of nowhere part of New York state. There is a decent amount of talent in the area near NYC, Long Island, Westchester County, etc. Some of the kids close to the border, end up playing HS football in New Jersey. Ryan Grant who went to Notre Dame, the McCourty twins are ones that really jump out at me right now. Ray Rice's HS teammate Courtney Greene who had 50+ starts for Rutgers and was in the NFL for a few years.

If you know where to look for talent in New York, you can find some guys, but you definitely need to supplement it with PA, NJ and wherever else, Florida, Ohio, etc.

Bdub

What WR coach? I have heard nothing about this and can't find anything either. What did I miss? Did you mean QB Coach? Personally I hope they keep Halladay on. He's a great ambassador for the school and the non-LDS players.

It's definitely got the fan base psyched. I think most of them will be patient, especially if they still make a bowl game in the first year.

I'm not completely sure these will prove to be successful hires in the end, but they all definitely have potential.
Thought I heard they where getting another ex player but it was twitter so who knows. Utah just fired their WR coach and would love to see them hire Halladay.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Still no official word about a WR coach as far as I know. I know Halladay wants to stay. I love him and hope they keep him.

Hiring Ed Lamb to be assistant head coach could help solve a bit the problems of having new HC, OC and DC with no previous experience. Having been HC at SUU he can help guide and mentor the new guys and make sure they know what they should be doing and spending their time on. It's not 100% a fix, but great move and helps resolve those issues a bit. Plus he's not LDS.

Last edited:

Bdub

Yeah that was a good hire. My my mother in law is friends with his wife and said they are super excited to get that job.

bruin

UCLA hopefully

emma-watson-hermione-granger-thinking.gif

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Rumor has it that Kevin Steele is moving from LSU to Auburn in the same DC role. Which, if true, would probably be a net gain for us.

Freeman

Chip Kelly to USC? Rumor gaining traction here in Atlanta. Which is as far away from PAC-12 as it gets so take it for what it is worth (basically zero).