• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2088 Season Thread - Let's Goooooo

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
You should create Roger Murdoch instead.

file_514f77bac5_original.jpg

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
What the fuck have I done now. Enlighten me.

Since coaching staff is essentially turned off, all scouts are given the same exact grades so teams don’t have an advantage in scouting. So just pick a coach (most of us pick former players that we liked) and Karl will give him high ratings that match every other scout that we use

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Since coaching staff is essentially turned off, all scouts are given the same exact grades so teams don’t have an advantage in scouting. So just pick a coach (most of us pick former players that we liked) and Karl will give him high ratings that match every other scout that we use

So the ratings that it shows in the game aren't real? Because everyone in the league has high but slightly different ratings when I look - ie, some have legendary in some areas and others don't. Not arguing, just interested. And what about tools vs ability?

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
save us?

This is my favorite sim of the year. Arb/TO decisions. Find out how much budget you have. See the FA class as well as Pro/Indy FA's. LFG!

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Was out snowshoeing, will sim after dinner.

The basic ratings get set, but I think there is still some development/ regression in their attributes over time. I don't really pay attention once they're created.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
They all started with Outstanding ratings but then we just let them develop. I think we let people choose favor tools or whatever too. So there is some variance, but nothing extreme.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I didn't know scouts develop. That's weird that we let them develop in the first place and don't reset them every year.

But you're saying that in 4 years, Seoul's scout went from all Outstanding to all LEGENDARY? And Douglass Tagg regresses over 26 years?

jdlikewhoa

I didn't know scouts develop. That's weird that we let them develop in the first place and don't reset them every year.

But you're saying that in 4 years, Seoul's scout went from all Outstanding to all LEGENDARY? And Douglass Tagg regresses over 26 years?
CHEAT CODES

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable

My scout was signed as-is off the shelf after Noda retired :dunno:

I don't think there is really a big numerical difference between the various blues.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I don't know WHAT makes them get better or worse- some combination of team success & budgets? If someone's scout turns to crap they should let me know, but I really don't care if a guy has only a 188/250 for scouting amateurs vs 193.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I don't know WHAT makes them get better or worse- some combination of team success & budgets? If someone's scout turns to crap they should let me know, but I really don't care if a guy has only a 188/250 for scouting amateurs vs 193.
I’m not tracking this. All scouts are supposed to be the same, same as owners. I doubt budgets affect the scout ratings.

Why do we need everything to be the exact same? They are all great scouts. A little variance is fine.

Why do we need scouting enabled at all? Why not just roll with true ratings like 99% of online leagues? Why does this dead football forum still exist? Why did Bush knock down the towers? I didn’t set the rules for the league, why are you asking me why the scouts need to be the same? They are the same because that’s how we have always played because of some rule that was decided on 10 years ago.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Owners die and are replaced with new guys that have different personalities. They always have been. Was @OU11 keeping an eye out for new owners in the 2040s and equalizing their ratings? Same with scouts. As far as I know these guys have always evolved.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Owners die and are replaced with new guys that have different personalities. They always have been. Was @OU11 keeping an eye out for new owners in the 2040s and equalizing their ratings? Same with scouts. As far as I know these guys have always evolved.

Huh, all the owners are supposed to have the same personalities. Yes, I think he equalized the ratings. I thought you were doing the same, so things don't get out of whack. @OU11 designed a league that was fair, but where budgets would scale when we won. I can't find specific posts in search on how it was set up because OU called GMs owners in the 2040s (hence the owner-manager shtick) and it's throwing off my search results.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
GMs are Owners and Owners are GMs as it's always been. I did do everything that was necessary (at the time, game has changed a lot since then) to make it as level as possible so that winning and losing were the only real drivers to money. The only things that weren't specfically set were ticket prices and IIRC your scout started at a level below the highest and I'd let them evolve to be the highest level if they did so.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Huh, all the owners are supposed to have the same personalities. Yes, I think he equalized the ratings. I thought you were doing the same, so things don't get out of whack. @OU11 designed a league that was fair, but where budgets would scale when we won. I can't find specific posts in search on how it was set up because OU called GMs owners in the 2040s (hence the owner-manager shtick) and it's throwing off my search results.

If he was doing that it was after the fact and I didn't know about it. The news blurbs always say if the guy is charitable, an economizer, etc.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
GMs are Owners and Owners are GMs as it's always been. I did do everything that was necessary (at the time, game has changed a lot since then) to make it as level as possible so that winning and losing were the only real drivers to money. The only things that weren't specfically set were ticket prices and IIRC your scout started at a level below the highest and I'd let them evolve to be the highest level if they did so.

Were you going in and changing the owner ratings? If so, to what?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Were you going in and changing the owner ratings? If so, to what?

I don't even know what the ratings are or what scale they are on, but yes every off-season I'd go through each team to make sure everything was still as it should be. This included market sizes and I'm guessing if we had owner ratings back then they'd be part of the checklist.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
If he was doing that it was after the fact and I didn't know about it. The news blurbs always say if the guy is charitable, an economizer, etc.

Ah I do remember that being a part of it. I'm not entirely sure what I did with those to be honest. I don't remember it mattering back then because the way I had it set up if you made more than 10m it just got eaten anyway since that was the max cash we could have. Idk it's been 3 years so the memories are like old fingerprints on a handrail at this point.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I do think the budgets still do what @OU11 designed them to do, FWIW, and I've been through several rebuilds. Truly an engineering masterpiece unlike anything I've witnessed before in sim sports, maybe the first wonder of the sim sports world

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I guess the real question is if you have a charitable owner would he put your cash up to $10M if you didn't make it during the season. If so then that is a benefit over an economizer, but if not then there is no real effect. I think it's a big deal if a league doesn't have a cash cap because owners will take profits

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison

It seems perfectly fair that Douglass would regress and have lower ratings. The SIM knows that his hidden TALISMAN rating is so high that allowing him equal scouting ratings would be unfair and break the game.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Yes I put a floor for outstanding and let them go to legendary if they progressed, I can't remember why I did that aside from having minor variance (IIRC the forums said there was only a slight difference between the two back then).

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Amsterdam- No scout
Berlin- Legendary x4
Buffalo- Outstanding/Excellent 2x each
Cairo- Outstanding x3/ Legendary
Dublin- No Scout (I put Mills here but didn't change his ratings yet)
False Bay- No Scout
Fortaleza- No Scout
Helsingborg- Outstanding x 4
Kabul- Outstanding x2/ Excellent x2
Las Vegas- No Scout
Lisbon- Legendary x2/ Excellent x2
Miami- Outsanding/ Excellent x2/ Legendary
Moscow- Legendary x2/ Outstanding x2
North Dakota- Legendary x2/ Excellent x2
Seoul- Legendary x4
Tijuana- No Scout

Berlin has easily the best scout. The average numerical difference between Seoul's scout (all legendary), Borg's (all outstanding), and Cairo's (outstanding/legendary) is two-ish.

@Mr. Radpants

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Berlin's scout had apparently been in Moscow for several years before moving to a, uh, more challenging environment.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
It seems perfectly fair that Douglass would regress and have lower ratings. The SIM knows that his hidden TALISMAN rating is so high that allowing him equal scouting ratings would be unfair and break the game.

Why does the man with no tools highly favor tools?