• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2066 Season Thread

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The SB record has been something of interest to me for YEARS on this site... and when I signed LEON I wanted to give him that full/fair opportunity to hit the 1,000 mark. I'm still pulling for Pinky to break the all time record, but I honestly doubt he'll be able to do it. LEON was just the Art Monk of longevity and never lost a step. Pinkey's got >700 SBs and is only 31, but he's already dropped to 65 speed and Leon only dropped to 65 speed this season. Leon's success is especially impressive given the fact that his OBP is .330 ish for his career, compared to Pinky's at .385ish.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
The SB record has been something of interest to me for YEARS on this site... and when I signed LEON I wanted to give him that full/fair opportunity to hit the 1,000 mark. I'm still pulling for Pinky to break the all time record, but I honestly doubt he'll be able to do it. LEON was just the Art Monk of longevity and never lost a step. Pinkey's got >700 SBs and is only 31, but he's already dropped to 65 speed and Leon only dropped to 65 speed this season. Leon's success is especially impressive given the fact that his OBP is .330 ish for his career, compared to Pinky's at .385ish.

Imagine if Leon could have hit somewhat consistently. Do you have him conforming to your team strategy, or overriding it? I always had him pegged at frequently while the rest of the team was on a short leash.

Wolfman21

Not so much in the playoffs, doe

IIRC, I sustained an injury to Landeiro and so I would have went into the playoffs with something called a James Chambers starting for me in CF. So, no, he wasn't great in the playoffs, but he was prolly still better than james

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think there has been a pretty solid STRATEGIC edge to be gained in the SL by base stealing for the last decade or so, because a lot of teams have catchers with bad arms (and my own catcher is one of the 3 who has a good arm). I put the team strategy on tight to limit any dummies, but I generally set almost every starter individually and I've also always looked for high OBP guys who can run as well. My team has 200 stolen bases on 240 attempts (83%) which is solidly above the break even point in every scenario.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Bjorno demanding a trade after getting his 10-and-5 rights. :laughing:

Maybe he and Ploeg will get the message and retire this offseason. We really need an NBA-esque amnesty program with all of the OOTP18 injuries.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Solid? That's barely above breaking point from what all I've read with stolen bases. It's somewhere around 75-80 percent is the break even point.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I didn't think anyone would pass Ping, but Leon just runs.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Solid? That's barely above breaking point from what all I've read with stolen bases. It's somewhere around 75-80 percent is the break even point.

I'd say 75%-80% is probably above the break even point, but not giving much value.

Stealing second is more like 70-75%, depending on the specific scenario. 83% is solidly above ALL cases other than stealing 3rd with 2 outs or stealing home with 0 outs, which are really edge cases.

I'm probably 10% on average above break even across all scenarios (since stealing 2nd the most likely). I figure I'm up about 20 runs on the year!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/breaking-down-stolen-base-break-even-points/

Last edited:

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
Are we able to see what count/situation a runner stole in game now? Or are you speculating this success off your head?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm just using the "average" numbers from real baseball. Since the SL is pitcher friendly, SBs are probably more valuable, if anything.

I think SBs give me small edge, but 200 SBs and only 40 CS is definitely a positive even using the most conservative numbers.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
All I know is Cairo is near the bottom of the north. Switched up tactics this year. Opted for a more sabermetric approach than in years past. I have typically relied on the hit-and-run and long ball combined with stealing bases to bring in runs across the plate.

Wolfman21

All I know is Cairo is near the bottom of the north. Switched up tactics this year. Opted for a more sabermetric approach than in years past. I have typically relied on the hit-and-run and long ball combined with stealing bases to bring in runs across the plate.

you still have over double the steals the Bulls have :laughing:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
All I know is Cairo might miss the playoffs. Stealing more bases would probably solve that.

But hit and run, stealing bases and long ball is not the right combo haha.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
All I know is Cairo might miss the playoffs. Stealing more bases would probably solve that.

But hit and run, stealing bases and long ball is not the right combo haha.

This is true. But moreso from the OF defense for the first half of the season or woeful pitching performances or a combination of both.
With Turry slid to RF after calling up Hatfield (wanted to wait to start his clock in '67, but Robertson fell off to a .225 avg after a .300 season in '65) our defensive efficiency has improved over the last month to 6 weeks.
Or could be the schedule was not in our favor. Lots of off days here in the second half. Think we have 4 or 5 days off the final month.

Yeah. Those 3 didn't mesh well. Lacking a SB threat (outside of 2 runners) has made us rely on xbh and HR this year for better or worse.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I honestly thought we might set some sort of record this year, since we got so many good runners... then I look and see I'm not even first in the SL. :laughing:

LRM got almost double the CS as the riggers doe.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
This is true. But moreso from the OF defense for the first half of the season or woeful pitching performances or a combination of both.
With Turry slid to RF after calling up Hatfield (wanted to wait to start his clock in '67, but Robertson fell off to a .225 avg after a .300 season in '65) our defensive efficiency has improved over the last month to 6 weeks.
Or could be the schedule was not in our favor. Lots of off days here in the second half. Think we have 4 or 5 days off the final month.

Yeah. Those 3 didn't mesh well. Lacking a SB threat (outside of 2 runners) has made us rely on xbh and HR this year for better or worse.
I mean if you are a SB and hit and run team you shouldn't be focused on power.

Soonerfan09

We lead the NL in stolen bases, HRs, and runs. We do utilize the hit-and-run, but not too often. My strategy is based more on the players I have, not the other way around.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
We lead the NL in stolen bases, HRs, and runs. We do utilize the hit-and-run, but not too often. My strategy is based more on the players I have, not the other way around.
Yeah. We are right behind you in all three, but your SB lead is pretty large. I don't really use hit and run, but do use SB even though we have power. I just like them haha.

Soonerfan09

Yeah. We are right behind you in all three, but your SB lead is pretty large. I don't really use hit and run, but do use SB even though we have power. I just like them haha.

If you didn't trade away your best hitter, you would probably be far and away the leader in runs and HRs. Hopefully my offense keeps it going or my pitching gets it figured out soon because the NL playoff picture is getting pretty tight.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
If you didn't trade away your best hitter, you would probably be far and away the leader in runs and HRs. Hopefully my offense keeps it going or my pitching gets it figured out soon because the NL playoff picture is getting pretty tight.
Our offenses are pretty even. First or second in pretty much everything. Definitely some separation with pitching. Will be fun to see how Sabertooth, and Iceman, changes things.

Soonerfan09

Brutal week for us. Swept @ Helsinborg (0-3) and lost 2 of 3 @ Amsterdam. But, we didn't drop in the power rankings, so it appears the other NL teams in the playoff race also had a rough week. Except for Cairo, we now trail them by a game and a half for third. We do have a three game set coming up this week, with the number ones of each staff starting game one. We also have a three game set with each other to end the season. Hopefully our bats keep going and our offense figures it out.

I also just looked through 3B Ramón 'Mountain Man' Iglésias for the first time in a while. Dude's was a fucking malingerer up until the knee fracture.

NML

Hey we're two out of the playoffs!

Didn't even see that brutal July that Buenos Aires. Unfortunately I have a rough schedule ahead while BA has it slightly easier.

Brian Brown been killing it for me @Orlando

Wolfman21

last two sims have not gone the right direction...but prolly the two toughest sims i'll have all season...so not really gonna complain too much

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com//game/lgreports/leagues/league_100_news_26776.html

Buffalo Bats Silenced by Creed
Thursday, August 26th, 2066
It wasn't easy but the Buenos Aires Gauchos made it look that way.

Starter Edwin Creed shut out the Buffalo Murricans despite having what he later called "sub-par" stuff, and the Buenos Aires Gauchos cruised to victory, 1-0. Creed allowed only 3 hits and rang up 5 strikeouts but insisted later that he did not deserve primary credit for the win.

"It didn't feel quite right today, but I got a lot of help to get through," he said. "I trusted my catcher and the guys behind me bailed me out more than once when I screwed up."

This season Creed has compiled a 7-11 record with a 3.71 ERA in 25 starts.

View Boxscore
View Game Log

giphy.gif