• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2053 Offseason Thread

Wolfman21

for lloyds shenanigans this offseason, I hope whoever the commish is sims every sim multiple times until he has a losing week

btw, is there any more of a contract that screams "i'm gonna be quitting in 2 seasons anyways" than that contract? $35, 50 and 40 million over the final 3 seasons? bahahaha...what a joke

Lloyd Carr

I dont have $30M to spend now, and thats what he wanted per year. If I wanted to get him, I had to backload the contract.

And if vesting options are going to be a thing, 30 games seemed fair. He has pitched less than 30 games in 40% of the seasons he has been in the WBL. I figured making him reach 30 was a fair metric.

Additionally, my plan from the get-go was to compete for a ship with my current crop, until they all died. That gives me about two more seasons, maybe one more if I get lucky. After that, I rebuild. There is a reason his contract doesnt get too expensive until the 2055 draft, when I had planned to start my rebuild.

If I am going to mortgage my future, which I started in like 2045, I had to go al out. You dont mortgage a future to half-ass it. That doesnt make any sense. I wouldnt trade all my picks and prospects and then piss away opportunities to make the best team I can, so getting Boys was worth spending a lot of fake money in my tanking years.

Lloyd Carr

Additionally, he pitched a combined 73 games the past two years and he is in his 30's. I needed some injury protection for later in the contract.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Additionally, he pitched a combined 73 games the past two years and he is in his 30's. I needed some injury protection for later in the contract.
30 games just looks like you have no intention of paying that final year. That's fine, but it should cost you $8m instead of maybe one start.

NML

I have this issue this season with Scott Bell. I kinda want to let him walk this off-season, but his vesting is 130 games, I think. Don't really want to give up 30+ games of his bat.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Sounds like I need to look into vesting options since Boys took more than $4M less per year AAV. No rule needed, I'll add this to my repertoire!

This is the real problem, even if a commish makes it guaranteed or adds a buyout Lloyd used an exploit to win a bidding war.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Generally a player will take a guaranteed deal over one with an option if all else is equal

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Without being able to see all sides of it, I don't really know how it works, but I suspect players favor a bid in hand and if you want to beat that you must come fairly significantly over the top. You can see that by Boys' demand of 5 years at $38M from me. I wasn't surprised to see Lloyd's offer was lower, but was surprised to see it that much lower.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
He wanted $37m from me. I don't think they normally ask for that high of a markup per year, but maybe it's a percentage?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Yeah, probably % and obviously it looks like a lot more with HAVE offers. Either way I'm excited for @Lloyd Carr to win him. BOYS gonna have a 5 ERA with his wheel chair brigade in the field.

Lloyd Carr

I dont know what to tell youll.

When I made my offer he was asking for $25.5M per year for 5 years. Or roughly $128M.

I gave him $128M for four years, with a fifth year chance at $40M if he starts 30 games. He will make the same amount of money in 4 years that he wanted to make in 5. And a shot to make $40M more.

If you dont like the contract, I dont care.

NML

nawww.gif

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
He's another guy that mysteriously got an arb ruling even though I non tendered him. It's clear that his High Leadership wasn't enough, I need Very High ala DECKERADES in order to get that true TALISMAN effect.

NML

Feeling pretty good as we head into ST. Cairo upgraded their RF, depth, and hopefully the young bullpen improves. Finding a 4th and 5th starter would be nice too. If things fall into place, we could push for a .500 record. Very confident that we will meet the goal of "don't suck completely."

Continuing down our path of SEVERAL SEASONS OF SUCCESS

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
He's another guy that mysteriously got an arb ruling even though I non tendered him. It's clear that his High Leadership wasn't enough, I need Very High ala DECKERADES in order to get that true TALISMAN effect.
Did you you release him or withdraw his arb deal?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I don't really remember tbh. I know I messed it up so maybe I just typed in zero instead of hitting withdraw or something. Not the end of the world, maybe it'll help motivate some of my single A guys. "If THAT GUY can get 2mil a year, imagine what we could get if we try!"