• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2052 WBL Season Thread

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Douglass Tagg still performing swimmingly as a Talisman, he has the entire team in high spirits right now.
Julio is ballin'

Sad year for Weber so far. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end. His hitting ratings are still fine but his defense has taken a hit. I hope he has a few more years left.

NML

After three wins in the first three sims, we've gone 7-5 in the last two. My pitching has got to regress to the mean at some point so hopefully we keep these good performances going.

@Yankee151 ur better off doubling down on winning now. I basically own ur drafts for the next three seasons.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I think my in-game general manager is the most loathsome of all creatures and it's affecting me negatively somehow. He has the worst career record of all the league managers among other things and that's the main difference I can think of that makes all my players tank.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I really like that aspect of tanking not being rewarded in OOTP. It is realistic because if you tank in real life you create such a culture of losing that it just destroys the hopes and dreams of even your best prospects. It takes years and years of trying to claw your way out of that loathsome trog-hole and redefine your identity. When I started playing OOTP I made the decision to field the best lineup I could every year and never tank. I assumed it would take at least 4 years to build that non-loser identity. I stacked my minor league teams with 28 year old washed up WBL players as ringers so that at least the YOUTHS would learn a culture of winning! That's why even on losing teams I resisted trading away my good players until I felt like I could get more than fair future value out of them while also providing adequate replacement coverage for the position they vacated.

Yankee turned his team into the Oakland Raiders, basically. A proud franchise goes from a super bowl appearance to suffering through decades of loathsome performance as that culture of losing clings to them. During that losing time period they've actually had a ton of talent on the roster too, they just didn't believe they could win.

I'll use the Tim Tebow example again to explain why he was one of the best first round draft picks Denver ever made simply because of his TALISMAN powers. I don't give a shit about his lack of talent, he believed he'd win and he got the entire team to believe they'd win as well. He took a team that had a culture of losing (from McDaniels and Orton) and transformed them to a team that could win even WITH his shitty QB play. That's ultimately what drew Peyton to Denver too. He realized that if the team went to the playoffs with Shitty Tebow playing, they could be really good with competent QB play. Now that Manning is so old and terrible, he's similarly just riding the culture of winning despite the fact that he's playing terrible.

I was hoping CICIO would be the type of Talisman that could help the rest of Yankee's pitchers discover the BABIP cheat, but it just hasn't worked that way. Instead, CICIO has been infected by Yankee's toxic clubhouse and his BABIP has now reached failure levels.

I think what Yankee needs is just many more Talismanic creatures. Fortunately for him, I have a plentiful supply of Talismans.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Also, starting this fucker at 1B for more than half your games is probably part of the problem, Tankee. Positional rating of 25 at 1B, terrible bat, terrible intangibles. Currently has a Defensive EFF of .71 which apparently means he drops like a quarter of the balls thrown to him, lol.

http://utopia.allsimbaseball9.com/game/lgreports//players/player_8108.html

What's going on here, Yankee? You need a rental 1B? Why aren't you starting Von Sherman against RHP? So many questions.

Last edited:

osick87

Community Liaison
I really like that aspect of tanking not being rewarded in OOTP. It is realistic because if you tank in real life you create such a culture of losing that it just destroys the hopes and dreams of even your best prospects. It takes years and years of trying to claw your way out of that loathsome trog-hole and redefine your identity. When I started playing OOTP I made the decision to field the best lineup I could every year and never tank. I assumed it would take at least 4 years to build that non-loser identity. I stacked my minor league teams with 28 year old washed up WBL players as ringers so that at least the YOUTHS would learn a culture of winning! That's why even on losing teams I resisted trading away my good players until I felt like I could get more than fair future value out of them while also providing adequate replacement coverage for the position they vacated.

Yankee turned his team into the Oakland Raiders, basically. A proud franchise goes from a super bowl appearance to suffering through decades of loathsome performance as that culture of losing clings to them. During that losing time period they've actually had a ton of talent on the roster too, they just didn't believe they could win.

I'll use the Tim Tebow example again to explain why he was one of the best first round draft picks Denver ever made simply because of his TALISMAN powers. I don't give a shit about his lack of talent, he believed he'd win and he got the entire team to believe they'd win as well. He took a team that had a culture of losing (from McDaniels and Orton) and transformed them to a team that could win even WITH his shitty QB play. That's ultimately what drew Peyton to Denver too. He realized that if the team went to the playoffs with Shitty Tebow playing, they could be really good with competent QB play. Now that Manning is so old and terrible, he's similarly just riding the culture of winning despite the fact that he's playing terrible.

I was hoping CICIO would be the type of Talisman that could help the rest of Yankee's pitchers discover the BABIP cheat, but it just hasn't worked that way. Instead, CICIO has been infected by Yankee's toxic clubhouse and his BABIP has now reached failure levels.

I think what Yankee needs is just many more Talismanic creatures. Fortunately for him, I have a plentiful supply of Talismans.

1456636210943059783.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I just realized I'm playing Yankee this week.... fuck me for pointing that out :laughing:

Oh well, I'm in a promising position which means it is time for that annual sweep at the hands of yankee. I don't think the riggers have beaten Istanbul a single time since I"ve been in the league.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
GM Mr. Manager is my team's real talisman, they think if a team can win under that drunk dolt, they can win under a total idiot like me

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I have no clue how waivers work, lol. I signed 2 dudes and then I couldn't place them on any of my teams because they were out of options, so they had to clear waivers first? I thought if I signed them that was like "clearing waivers" and I could move them to my lineup?

So I put them on waivers and someone else signed them?

I was pleased to at least win 1/3 against Yankee.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'm pretty sure I don't but it feels like I have two extra series against Amsterdam this year, I'm playing them like twice a month

Wolfman21

pulled up the website and saw there was a "+" by the Kabul Bulls on the Power Rankings so I thought maybe I had a decent week. 2-4, :laughing:

gonna be a long season in Kabul. Ratbreath threw a gem against the Riggers. 5.1 innings of 1 hit ball.......in which he walked 7, :laughing:

ZackMills

Have mercy
WTF, swept at Dublin? Tanners playing awful this season. Bullpen shitting the bed. Easily the best rated they have ever been too. Infielders who were good defensively last year are bad. Fuck it, I'm making it Zach Mills Day!

In other news, the first diagnosed concussion of Roy Lomond's career ended his playing days. So dumb.

ZackMills

Have mercy
Monday, May 13th, 2052
Dublin Distillers: C Jorge Quintanilla was injured while helping an old lady cross the street. The Diagnosis: wrist tendinitis. He's expected to miss about 2 weeks.

...:scared:

That's what you get for fucking with Indie developers.

Thursday, May 9th, 2052
San Francisco Tanners: Roy Lomond has suffered a setback in his recovery from injury. He has elected to retire rather than continue his rehabilitation. This is a CAREER ENDING injury!

His brain is soup though. No rehabbing that.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I get the frustration, but every person does not recover from an injury the same way. The randomness makes sense to me.

Wolfman21

that series vs BA was a shit show. Pitching finally shows up for 2 games and my bats disappear. Bats finally show up for the final game and my bullpen blows it. Two extra inning losses. grrr

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
My friend is down to take over Key West, I'll get him registered unless anyone has an objection.

I described the league as a cesspool of shtick oriented trollers and Key West as a Royals knock-off. He's still down.

Unless we're still waiting for some Nutopian native to string us along for 6 seasons.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
My friend is down to take over Key West, I'll get him registered unless anyone has an objection.

I described the league as a cesspool of shtick oriented trollers and Key West as a Royals knock-off. He's still down.

Unless we're still waiting for some Nutopian native to string us along for 6 seasons.

Sounds good, but we should get @jdlikewhoa to do a background check and maybe follow him around for a bit.

Can't be too careful with the WBL.