• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2052/2053 HUNGER GAMES - Donate 9 Players by THURSDAY or it is Cancelled

NML

I just don't see any benefit in doing it. Everyone donates what I classify as "cancers" with like -3 WAR the previous season lol. I don't want any of the players. And last year I donated a guy who would have won the hunger games if I had just kept him, and he got killed. I definitely would've preferred him to the guy I took (who was worthless and I couldn't get rid of fast enough). Yet I was punished? Then you just make up some rule on the spot when I tried to donate someone this year.

Keep on keepin on with it, but I'll pass.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
You thought you were picking first and you saw a player you wanted, so you tried to donate a player who wasn't even yours, lol. So petulant.

And lol @ you thinking the guy you donated last year was the best tribute.

NML

You thought you were picking first and you saw a player you wanted, so you tried to donate a player who wasn't even yours, lol. So petulant.

And lol @ you thinking the guy you donated last year was the best tribute.

There's no one I want in this group. I was just doing it because it's an interesting concept and it's a thing that makes our league unique, but you are just making it up as you go. And he was mine - as evidenced by how he was on irrevocable waivers and no one could claim over me.

I wish I had that dude back - he was coming off a 1+ WAR season as a LOOGY lol, that's unheard of. But y'all so focused on STARZZZ that he was killed. I tried to put someone up this year who at least had the starz and was told no. So no thanks.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Just a note so nobody gets salty in the future, I won't accept tributes who were acquired via the current free agent period either. That doesn't meet the spirit of the Hunger Games, which is to free up and redistribute players who are currently under team control.

2000px-Hammer_and_sickle_red_on_transparent.svg.png

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'm not disagreeing that Yildi was a good player and worthy of HG consideration. I'm just saying it isn't the point of the HG to donate a player who was already available to the entire league to claim. I don't think I'm "making up rules" in rejecting him, when the intent of the HG is pretty obvious. We could all go sign some random free agent that looks better than most of these guys and make them tributes, but that's not the point.

NML

I'm not disagreeing that Yildi was a good player and worthy of HG consideration. I'm just saying it isn't the point of the HG to donate a player who was already available to the entire league to claim. I don't think I'm "making up rules" in rejecting him, when the intent of the HG is pretty obvious. We could all go sign some random free agent that looks better than most of these guys and make them tributes, but that's not the point.

But I didn't claim him for this purpose. Like I said, I thought he was going to be my starting RF but then LC stopped dragging his feet on Gonnet and I got him.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I will also say I get sad when I see people draft a dude only to throw them in the minors and never give them a shot. Very few of the HG picks last season were even given a try at the WBL level. Part of the fun of this is at least trying them out. Take a look at @Orlando starting Castiglione for a good chunk of the second half of the season last year. Orlando did his best to try to win the pick for Yankee even if Castiglione didn't have the talent to start for him. The year before Orlando let DAVE Kramer play DH against LHP in order to rest his real star.

I give my HG tributes a solid chance to start and he was like -1 WAR after 100 ABs (and the player he was splitting time with was really hot). A lot of these players with borderline WBL ratings could very easily have a good year and end up over 1 WAR if people would give them a shot.

Your 25th roster spot probably isn't providing you much positive WAR anyway, so you might as well take a chance by playing one of these dudes in a narrow role. I'd rather see players killed than not given a WBL shot. The hunger games is supposed to be like a fun side bet, not SRS ROSTER BUILDING STRATEGY.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
But I didn't claim him for this purpose. Like I said, I thought he was going to be my starting RF but then LC stopped dragging his feet on Gonnet and I got him.

I'm not a mind reader doe and I don't want to get into trying to decipher intent. I just know he was available to the entire league so he doesn't fit the HG spirit of freeing up players under team control that are blocked out from making the WBL or not being utilized for some reason or another.

I think misunderstanding the SPIRIT of the HG is also part of why your player was killed last year. Sure he had decent stats, but he had zero upside as mid 30s relief pitcher whose movement rating just dropped to 45. He should be retiring to green pastures, not being forced into the hunger games as a tribute.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Alright, I think we have tributes submitted from everyone who cares to play now, so here is a chart explaining how I came up with the draft order. Sorted from least wins to most wins with the four penalty box teams placed last (also sorted from least to most wins). Then the 12 teams to submit players were placed in order.

[xtable=skin1|494x415]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=77x@}Draft Order{/td}
{td=139x@} {/td}
{td=64x@}Wins{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1{/td}
{td}Little Rock Miners{/td}
{td}60{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2{/td}
{td}Dublin Distillers{/td}
{td}62{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}3{/td}
{td}Istanbul Ottomans{/td}
{td}68{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}San Francisco Tanners{/td}
{td}76{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}4{/td}
{td}Seoul Glow{/td}
{td}81{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}5{/td}
{td}Buffalo Murricans{/td}
{td}84{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}6{/td}
{td}Buenos Aires Gauchos{/td}
{td}85{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}Amsterdam Tulips{/td}
{td}85{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}Moscow Mules{/td}
{td}88{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}7{/td}
{td}Key West Pirates{/td}
{td}89{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}8{/td}
{td}North Dakota Riggers{/td}
{td}90{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}9{/td}
{td}False Bay Flying Whites{/td}
{td}91{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}Lisbon Conquistadors{/td}
{td}94{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}Las Vegas Pac Men{/td}
{td}111{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}10{/td}
{td}Berlin Bomber Bears{/td}
{td}56{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td} {/td}
{td}Cairo Tutankhamuns{/td}
{td}61{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}11{/td}
{td}Kabul Bulls{/td}
{td}83{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}12{/td}
{td}Helsingborg Hammers{/td}
{td}95{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here is the tribute list, sorted by draft order. (@Orlando submitted 2 players to unsure at least one fatality, since he's murderous)

1. LRM sends 1b (lol more like DH) Aniq bin Zaki +$200k if required (WBL)
2. DUB sends 2B Wilbur 'broken legs' Holden Caulfield (AAA) to IST
3. IST sends SP Tony Roman +$900k if required (AAA) to LRM
4. SEO sends RF Frank Parker (WBL)
5. BUF sends RP Jay Lee (AAA) to SEO
6. BA sends 1B/DH Mark Rathwell (WBL)
7. KW sends P Gustaf Spronk (AAA) to BA
8. NDR sends LOOGY Jaime Chacon (AAA) - to the Gallows Pole courtesy of Lloyd Carr
9. FB sends SS Oliver Kolbjørnsen (AAA)
10. BER sends Utility IF Fernando Rivera (WBL) to DUB
11. KAB sends 1b Sesto Colonnese (AAA)
12. HEL sends 1B Larbi Mulogo (AAA)
13. HEL sends RF Brian Washington (AAA)

I will update this post (and the same list in the OP) as players are drafted.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I actually think LRM are set to emerge as a borderline playoff contender this season (or at least approaching .500) so he could be in a good situation to help Yankee win a draft pick too.

Wolfman21

i contest the decision to put me in the penalty box. The player I offered last year was on my squad when I offered him as tribute. Not my fault it took a couple sims before players were exchanged and he was off the squad. I want pick #5

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Quit it with pitcher WAR @NML

This brings up a good point. For comparing pitchers to position players I'll generally use several stats and Pitcher WAR is not one of them (ERA+ favored). So far the winner has been obvious and comparing position player to position player should be easy enough and same with pitcher to pitcher, but if I have to compare a successful pitcher to a successful position player I may ask for a vote.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
i contest the decision to put me in the penalty box. The player I offered last year was on my squad when I offered him as tribute. Not my fault it took a couple sims before players were exchanged and he was off the squad. I want pick #5
Same thing happened to me. I accept my punishment.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here is the tribute list, sorted by draft order. (@Orlando submitted 2 players to unsure at least one fatality, since he's murderous)

5. BUF sends RP Jay Lee (AAA)
7. KW sends P Gustaf Spronk (AAA)
8. NDR sends LOOGY Jaime Chacon (AAA)

I will update this post (and the same list in the OP) as players are drafted.

@Karl Hungus is up.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Rivera is a big get actually. I have RHB at every IF position this year since Flat Tire decided to turn into a cripple. So he'll get some good starts against righties at every infield position.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Tributes:
5. BUF sends RP Jay Lee (AAA) to SEO
7. KW sends P Gustaf Spronk (AAA)
8. NDR sends LOOGY Jaime Chacon (AAA)

PLOT TWIST @Orlando donated 2 players to guarantee at least one death in this years HG!

@Lloyd Carr you are up.

BOOOOO HISSSSSS