• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Off-Season Thread

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Chris Broussard is the worst

Surely-You-Cant-Be-Serious-In-Airplane-Gif.gif

....Actually, that's exactly the kind of trade I expect to happen. :(

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
....Actually, that's exactly the kind of trade I expect to happen. :(
Evidently FLip doesn't want future picks/a bunch of picks and wants to win now. Warriors have by far the best "win now" option of any team that's in for him. IMO the big appeal of Lee is the same the Warriors had when they got him: you have to start somewhere with good professionals to build the base of the team. Klay is pretty good too.. him/Rubio backcourt would be fun. Barea/Martin seem jsut like salary dumps/make it even so they can make the trade.

I'm just a bit amazed that the 13th pick would go the W's.

In a way, I kinda agree with Saunders though. What's the point of continuing to be bad? Are two mid first round picks goign to turn the organization around? Why not get some good players maybe make another trade or two and get into the playoffs. Fans have to start caring at some point again.

doh

Hmmm I wonder if Embiid falls to the Sixers in their dream scenario. Get to redshirt him and tank another year while getting the best talent in the draft (albeit with a chance he never gives you anything).

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Do the Wolves have the pieces to win now in the Western Conference? I doubt it. I haven't watched them much but they've obviously been horrible. Klay Thompson is not going to turn them into a playoff team in the West.

doh

Do the Wolves have the pieces to win now in the Western Conference? I doubt it. I haven't watched them much but they've obviously been horrible. Klay Thompson is not going to turn them into a playoff team in the West.
No one is saying they're going to win the West. But you have to start somewhere/being terrible every year gets old.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I didn't say they were going to win the West either. I'm saying I doubt they would even be a playoff team after that trade so the "win now" stuff doesn't hold up.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Can confirm "win now" does not apply with that trade. Thompson is step up from Martin, Lee is large step down from Love. At best, they are as good as they were this year, which is still a lottery team. And that's being optimistic.

R2D2

Sure. The Sixers have enough 2nd rounders to take a flyer on a pot-head with bad knees to go with his bad back. :thumbsup:

Sounds perfect. :laughing:

Hmmm I wonder if Embiid falls to the Sixers in their dream scenario. Get to redshirt him and tank another year while getting the best talent in the draft (albeit with a chance he never gives you anything).

But why would they draft him though? Unless you're saying they would move Noel to PF, and play Embiid at C.

doh

Sounds perfect. :laughing:

But why would they draft him though? Unless you're saying they would move Noel to PF, and play Embiid at C.
I don't think there are too many "228" pound centers in the league. Noel would get pushed around there. And you don't want a guy who just had a devastating knee injury to add a lot of weight.

This article is interesting on average height/weights: http://pinwheelempire.com/p/nba/prototypical-size-vs-reality-in-the-nba/.

He'd be the lightest C in the league (to Joakim Noah who is a bit shorter). His weight puts him on the lower end of 4s too. His athleticism obviously makes up for lack of weight but under the baskets over the course of a year/getting posted up/posting guys up he'd take a beating as a center. They could play him at the 5 with Embiid is off for bits and pieces but I don't think having him as a C full-time would be good for his health.

Wolfman21

I love the Hornets jerseys. Will be going to see a game this year. The whites are my favorite.

I'm not worried about the Purple and Teal unis. The colors are always brighter in pictures to make them stand out. I bet they'll look fantastic in-game.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison

RDmGwQ0C.png

Bucksin04

The thought of a potential 1-2-3 combination of Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, and Jabari Parker defensively is going to make me throw up twice a day for the next week.

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
LOS ANGELES -- Shelly Sterling's emergency motion to protect herself, her lawyers and two doctors who received hostile voice mails from her estranged husband, Donald Sterling, was denied Thursday by Judge Michael Levanas without prejudice as he did not feel the voice mails rose to a "level of great and irreparable injury."

More...

doh

The thought of a potential 1-2-3 combination of Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, and Jabari Parker defensively is going to make me throw up twice a day for the next week.
I think Parker could become a decent defender. He has some length and seems like a hard worker too.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
The jerseys have grown on me, but if I purchase a Hornets jersey, which I assume I will soon, it will be a throwback.

sayo

YEET
I'm surprised there is no pin stripes. I figured they would at least have them on the alternates.

Chase

The jerseys have grown on me, but if I purchase a Hornets jersey, which I assume I will soon, it will be a throwback.

I'd give them an 8/10 just for having a teal alternate and no sleeves. No pinstripes suck, but I think that might have to do with the NBA Hardwood Classic contract. Knowing Jordan they'll throw out a new alternate/4th jersey every 2 years.

doh

Evidently Warriors FO is split on trading Klay Thompson… I hope to god this is some sort of negotiating tactic they're flooding to the media.

R2D2

I read something somewhere where it said the 76ers would trade MCW and Thaddeus Young to the Lakers for the 7th pick and Steve Nash. :crying:

Keith1212

Carmelo Anthony will no longer be a Knick. On one hand, I'm not a big fan of his at all. On the other hand, how can the Knicks not get worse from this? I have no faith that they will somehow get better this offseason. I don't even know if it's possible for them to outside of their ineptitude.

Reel

Community Liaison
Carmelo Anthony will no longer be a Knick. On one hand, I'm not a big fan of his at all. On the other hand, how can the Knicks not get worse from this? I have no faith that they will somehow get better this offseason. I don't even know if it's possible for them to outside of their ineptitude.

Saw an interesting stat the other day. I remember initially everyone was just ripping the Knicks /nuggets trade talking about how much better the Nuggets were after the deal but the stat showed that the Nuggets have only won about 9 more games than the Knicks since the trade.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Saw an interesting stat the other day. I remember initially everyone was just ripping the Knicks /nuggets trade talking about how much better the Nuggets were after the deal but the stat showed that the Nuggets have only won about 9 more games than the Knicks since the trade.

So....have the Pels won the Jrue trade? The Pels have won 15 more games than the 76ers since the trade. :trollface:

Chase

They can get worse by not doing a sign and trade with the Bulls for their picks. Might as well take on Boozer's expiring contract too. Then in 2015 you'll have $50 million in cap space and you guys can pray for LEBRAWN.

doh

I read something somewhere where it said the 76ers would trade MCW and Thaddeus Young to the Lakers for the 7th pick and Steve Nash. :crying:
I think they like Exum more than MCW so they're going to take him 3, Nash is baisically an expiring contract/can mentor Exum/get another prospect at 7 they like more than MCW.

Or maybe turn Nash for another 2nd rounder to a team that needs a back-up PG?

Makes sense to me.

It really comes down to would you rather have MCW + non-Exum 3rd pick OR Exum + 7th pick

Chase

Nah Jerry West is going to collude with Kupchak to bring Klay Thompson to the Errrrz for the 7th pick

doh

Nah Jerry West is going to collude with Kupchak to bring Klay Thompson to the Errrrz for the 7th pick
I would break something if the Warriors did that just like they killed the We Believe run n gun team by trading J-Rich for 2007 7th pick Brendan Wright

R2D2

I think they like Exum more than MCW so they're going to take him 3, Nash is baisically an expiring contract/can mentor Exum/get another prospect at 7 they like more than MCW.

Or maybe turn Nash for another 2nd rounder to a team that needs a back-up PG?

Makes sense to me.

It really comes down to would you rather have MCW + non-Exum 3rd pick OR Exum + 7th pick

What I've seen is that they want Embiid at 3. I bet they're hoping Smart falls to 10.

Mame YO

slings rocks
So uhh... is moose taking embiid at 3 then? And if not, what the hell do they do with the 3rd pick if wiggins and Parker are off the board? I, for one, am rooting for da cavs or bucks to take embiid anyway so wiggins ends up in philly but what say yous?

edit: based purely on the SB nation blogs bucks fans still want embiid or Parker so really it seems like the order of the first three picks depends entirely on da cavs and because they are retarded the draft will go:

parker
Embiid
wiggins

DONE DEAL

Last edited:

Chase

Bucks owner was quoted saying they're not taking Embiid. He said they're taking whoever falls between Parker and Wiggins.

Have you ever thought we would see the day where players want to go to Milwaukee? From Chad Ford..

Sources close to the Cavs told ESPN.com this weekend that the team is now leaning toward taking Parker with the No. 1 pick. However, it's far from a lock. Parker came in to work out on Friday in front of the Cavs' front office and ownership. Parker wasn't great. He was a bit heavy (he weighed in at 255 pounds), didn't shoot the ball well and got winded at times. Furthermore, two different sources told ESPN.com that Parker seemed a bit indifferent. One source said he thought Parker "tanked" the workout.
Why? A source says he strongly prefers to play in Milwaukee. The Cavs appear to be aware of this. "Jabari wasn't himself," one source said. "It was clear we weren't his first option."
Meanwhile, Wiggins came in and nailed his workout on Wednesday. He shot the ball well, showed off tremendous athleticism and had a good interview. In fact, Wiggins was emphatic that he wants to be the No. 1 pick and wants to play for the Cavs.

R2D2

Cleveland > Milwaukee

So uhh... is moose taking embiid at 3 then? And if not, what the hell do they do with the 3rd pick if wiggins and Parker are off the board? I, for one, am rooting for da cavs or bucks to take embiid anyway so wiggins ends up in philly but what say yous?

edit: based purely on the SB nation blogs bucks fans still want embiid or Parker so really it seems like the order of the first three picks depends entirely on da cavs and because they are retarded the draft will go:

parker
Embiid
wiggins

DONE DEAL

It's looking like they'll draft Embiid at 3. Would rather have Wiggins but looking at @Chase's post it looks like he'll be a Cavalier.

Bucksin04

I have an increasingly bad feeling the Cavs are taking Jabari Parker #1. Even though national reports are making it seem like Embiid is a lock and they're focused on him, it flies in the face of everything they've done in the past couple of years. Kyrie Irving didn't know he was the pick until his name was called. Thompson was a reach. Waiters was a reach. And Bennett didn't know he was the pick until his name was called. There's an excellent chance they're leaking the Embiid stuff hoping Philly makes them an offer they can't refuse, and still end up with Parker, their target all along, at 3. The pick simultaneously continues the trend of making reaches high in the draft coupled while following Dan Gilbert's "win now or else" mantra since Parker is considered to be the most pro ready prospect in the draft.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have an incredibly hard time believing it's as cut and dry as making Embiid the pick. Plus, while all the national guys are saying the Cavs are leaning Embiid, multiple local reporters are cautioning people to not believe everything they hear.

WELP. http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...-Draft&ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_fordtworoundmock

A week ago, Joel Embiid looked like a lock to be the No. 1 pick in the draft. News of a stress fracture in his right foot sent the Cavs spinning. Now the Cavs are wrestling between three options: draft Jabari Parker, draft Andrew Wiggins or trade the pick.

Sources close to the Cavs told ESPN.com this weekend that the team is now leaning toward taking Parker with the No. 1 pick. However, it's far from a lock. Parker came in to work out on Friday in front of the Cavs' front office and ownership. Parker wasn't great. He was a bit heavy (he weighed in at 255 pounds), didn't shoot the ball well and got winded at times. Furthermore, two different sources told ESPN.com that Parker seemed a bit indifferent. One source said he thought Parker "tanked" the workout.

Why? A source says he strongly prefers to play in Milwaukee. The Cavs appear to be aware of this. "Jabari wasn't himself," one source said. "It was clear we weren't his first option."
Meanwhile, Wiggins came in and nailed his workout on Wednesday. He shot the ball well, showed off tremendous athleticism and had a good interview. In fact, Wiggins was emphatic that he wants to be the No. 1 pick and wants to play for the Cavs.

So why is Parker ahead of Wiggins?

From what I can gather, while there are disagreements in the front office, Cavs GM David Griffin feels that Parker fits a more immediate need at the 3. Parker also is the most NBA-ready. They feel that whether he wants to play there or not, those hesitations will disappear when he arrives. They have a new front office and a new coach, who the Cavs believe can actually help them build the sort of culture they want. Parker's workout on Friday did create doubt, especially among ownership, but so far it looks like they are still leaning toward Parker.

The third option, a trade, is also on the table. The Cavs received intriguing offers from the Sixers, Magic and Jazz late last week. Each is offering its own high lottery pick plus a veteran. The Cavs could theoretically get either of Thaddeus Young, Arron Afflalo orDerrick Favors and still have a top-5 pick in the draft. It would make it much easier to draft Embiid if you knew you got additional value in the form of a veteran who can help now.

Reel

Community Liaison
Bucks owner was quoted saying they're not taking Embiid. He said they're taking whoever falls between Parker and Wiggins.

Have you ever thought we would see the day where players want to go to Milwaukee? From Chad Ford..

Isnt Milwaukee like an hr from Chicago? Could possibly have something to do with it

Chase

It's looking like they'll draft Embiid at 3. Would rather have Wiggins but looking at @Chase's post it looks like he'll be a Cavalier.

Seems like you guys are going with Exum, Vonleh or maybe Embiid at 3. Might as well draft Embiid, take Saric at 10 (who's staying in Europe for 2 more years) and just TANKADELPHIA again.

Reactions: doh