• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014 NBA Off-Season Thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
This is going to happen and we have more fans out than in, plus I have a question about the Thudner and I know everybody is tired of hearing about them in the NBA thread. Anyway, @Reel @Mame YO @sayo @NML @CJ24 @whoever else what do you want your team to do this offseason?

@Bucksin04 you probably have a better understanding of league finances than I do. I'm reading Zach Lowe's article where he talks about Ibaka coming back, but also like his big brother Simmons cannot avoid discussing the Harden trade. My question is could the Thudner have amnestied Perk and then resigned him to the minimum. I'm only half way through so this could be a pre-mature question but in my head this makes so much sense it couldn't have been a possibility. Perk still gets paid so no disrespect there, plus he adds the minimum to his current salary. KD and Brooks get to keep their guard dog while alleviating $17M from the cap over two years. Would be a huge deal this upcoming offseason.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
well, with the pels having no picks, they will have to get creative once again with FA.

I hope they keep Morrow and maybe Babbitt, but if Anderson comes back at full strength, then Babbitt is out obviously.

I want to see them get rid of Gordon, but idk who they are going to get to take him and not take back some awful deal in return which kinda defeats the purpose imo. I hope they can get a SF who can immediately come in and contribute. The pels blog I frequent suggests PJ Tucker is definitely a possibility. I dont know much about him but they seem to be VERY high on him.

Chase

My question is could the Thudner have amnestied Perk and then resigned him to the minimum. I'm only half way through so this could be a pre-mature question but in my head this makes so much sense it couldn't have been a possibility. Perk still gets paid so no disrespect there, plus he adds the minimum to his current salary. KD and Brooks get to keep their guard dog while alleviating $17M from the cap over two years. Would be a huge deal this upcoming offseason.

No, that would be circumventing the cap. If you amnesty a player he can't re-sign with that team for a year. And once a player is amnestied any team that is under the cap puts a bid in for that said player and the highest bidder gets him.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
No, that would be circumventing the cap. If you amnesty a player he can't re-sign with that team for a year. And once a player is amnestied any team that is under the cap puts a bid in for that said player and the highest bidder gets him.

I figured, he could just sign a one year deal and come back tho

Reel

Community Liaison
I want to trade for James Harden and Nerlens Noel

serious question g8r

what happens if Noel is a bust?

The homer in me hopes he is so that people like you and Simmons can shut up about it already

The rational person in me hopes is he a decent player

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
serious question g8r

what happens if Noel is a bust?

The homer in me hopes he is so that people like you and Simmons can shut up about it already

The rational person in me hopes is he a decent player

G8R just mad because he was given his name to play for the Pelicans.

What is the situation like for NO? Do they have cap room? What do you want them to do?

Reel

Community Liaison
G8R just mad because he was given his name to play for the Pelicans.

What is the situation like for NO? Do they have cap room? What do you want them to do?

they are in a decent situation where depending on who they target, they could use their MLE to get a quality guy.

Matching Gordon is definitely Demps' black stain on his shirt but if he can get rid of him and not take on some insane contract in return, he is automatically GM of the year imo. Now that might mean parting with Rivers, and/or Pierre Jackson's rights, and I think Melvin Ely but Gordon gotta go

Bucksin04

@Bucksin04 you probably have a better understanding of league finances than I do. I'm reading Zach Lowe's article where he talks about Ibaka coming back, but also like his big brother Simmons cannot avoid discussing the Harden trade. My question is could the Thudner have amnestied Perk and then resigned him to the minimum. I'm only half way through so this could be a pre-mature question but in my head this makes so much sense it couldn't have been a possibility. Perk still gets paid so no disrespect there, plus he adds the minimum to his current salary. KD and Brooks get to keep their guard dog while alleviating $17M from the cap over two years. Would be a huge deal this upcoming offseason.

@Chase is almost right. The amnestied player can't be reacquired (either via trade or free agency) for the entire length of his contract (not just a year).

Larry Coon's CBA FAQ is an outstanding resource for this kind of stuff. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

Here's the part related to amnesty: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q68

The waiving team may not re-sign or re-acquire the player for the length of his contract (which includes seasons following an ETO or option), and the claiming team is prohibited from trading the player until the following July 1. If the player is eventually traded, his new team becomes the claiming team.

Mame YO

slings rocks
Da blazers have the MLE and BAE and can resign mo Williams on top of that if they want to. another big would be nice, but it would also be reel nice to replace Mo IMO.

The blazers have a few prospects that they will probably hold onto (Barton, McCollum, TRob in particular) but I think the blazers should be looking to clear another roster spot in addition to the two spots vacated by Watson and Mo. It's tough to gauge who they'd let go, doe. Claver, maybe.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I think the biggest thing the Tunder need to do is install an actual fucking offense and learn to pass the basketbaw. I heard on mike and mike this morning that 60% of their offensive possessions in game 6 included 0 passes. 0 lol.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Sefolosha and Fisher are gone. Butler is gone. Perkins has one year left on his albatross of a contract. Jackson has one year left on his rookie contract. He wants to be a starting PG so he won't be around much longer. So OKC either needs Lamb to step it up or they need to go out and find a good true shooting guard. And a new backup PG. Tibor Pleiss has shown a lot of progress; I wonder if they'll bring him over from Germany after this season and have him back up Adams.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think the biggest thing the Tunder need to do is install an actual fucking offense and learn to pass the basketbaw. I heard on mike and mike this morning that 60% of their offensive possessions in game 6 included 0 passes. 0 lol.

That just won't happen, so I am trying to think of ways to improve a pickup team. The biggest way to do that in general is to get versatile players who can do multiple things. That's why I just wish they'd trade Kendrick/21 to the Sixers for Young. Idk if the Sixers would actually do that but if they would I'd love it.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY

Need to get rid of Brooks for that to happen and the players (especially KD and RUSS) love him so he'll be here for a while. It sucks, because I don't think he's the guy to take the Tundra over the hump.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Is Brooks retarded? Why do they need to get rid of him to move the ball? Watch film of the Spurs and try to do 10% of what they do. At least it's a start.

Hell call corch Norman Dale from Hickory Indiana. No shooting until you've passed the ball at least 5 times.

Chase

Need to get rid of Brooks for that to happen and the players (especially KD and RUSS) love him so he'll be here for a while. It sucks, because I don't think he's the guy to take the Tundra over the hump.

More importantly than what those two think he was just given a 4 year extension two summers ago. Balancing the checkbook don't work if you're paying two corches.

GR8 2 B FL G8R

For the record, it's gay to start this thread before the Finals start

Unless you guys want to talk about James Harden and Nerlens Noel, then it's hetero as fuck

Reel

Community Liaison
More importantly than what those two think he was just given a 4 year extension two summers ago. Balancing the checkbook don't work if you're paying two corches.

srs question

are the lakers still paying Mike Brown?

Chase

srs question

are the lakers still paying Mike Brown?

It seems like they owed him $7 million with 2 years left on his deal as of last summer. But then his contract with the Cavs ($20 million over 5 years, lulz) should have just about negated just about all of that $$$. Maybe the Lakerzz paid him $1-2 million at most, which is the equivalent of Jim Buss' drug bill for the month. D'Antoni quit, so he's not owed anything.

@whoever else what do you want your team to do this offseason?

I would like for Z-Bo to opt out and resign for a longer deal. I'd like to see them bring James Johnson back for the end of the bench. They need someone who off the bench who can shoot and finish at the rim so hopefully they can find someone in the draft. Move Tayshun Prince since he will be an expiring deal and get better. I wouldn't be upset with signing Brandon Rush if he's fully healed

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The Moose have a lot of room under the salary cap and a lot of draft picks coming.

I still would mind seeing either of these starting lineups:

MCW-Stauskias-Parker/Wiggins-Young-Noel

Exum-MCW-Stauskias-Young-Noel

Just gimme a young team that's willing to get out and run. Teach 'em to play defense later.

sayo

YEET
Da blazers have the MLE and BAE and can resign mo Williams on top of that if they want to. another big would be nice, but it would also be reel nice to replace Mo IMO.

The blazers have a few prospects that they will probably hold onto (Barton, McCollum, TRob in particular) but I think the blazers should be looking to clear another roster spot in addition to the two spots vacated by Watson and Mo. It's tough to gauge who they'd let go, doe. Claver, maybe.
I wouldn't mind seeing mo go. I think giving those minutes to Barton/McCollum works out better long term. Agree that another big is needed. And lol at Claver. That dude is done after his contract. Dude has no confidence whatsoever.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Bulls: Completely rebuild the team

Amnesty Boozer

Acquire Love (Trade whatever they need Gibson etc...)
Acquire Melo ( via Sign & Trade whatever is left Mirotic etc... or Free Agency)

A lineup of Rose, Butler, Melo, Love and Noah would be competitive, I don't care what it costs need to be aggressive. Trade both this years 1st round picks or the two the have next year.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
backup plan would be to sign Lance Stephenson and roll the dice on his crazy. Hopefully the locker room and coaching staff is strong enough to keep him in line.

Heisman06

I have no doubt that Lance signs with Chicago if he leaves Indy. Makes too much sense not to happen. He'll fit right in with their pesky style and he'll continue annoying the hell outta me.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
I heard him give an interview on the radio the other day. He sounds mentally retarded, which would explain a lot.

NML

For Boston

Step 1: Get Kevin Love

- this is obviously not an easy task, but it seems to be in motion. Love was in Boston this weekend getting a feel for the city. After missing out on the lottery, I think the consensus is that Love is the way to go. They could be looking at a similar package to the KG deal. Two first rounders (6th and 17th this year), a young talent (I'd prefer to give up Kelly O, but Sullinger might be sent), and some cap relief.

Step 2: Resign Avery Bradley

- With Love, Bradley is the perfect compliment at the two guard. Great on ball defender, and his offensive game works perfectly off of Love's passing ability (spot up 3's and cuts to the basket).

Step 3: Use the MLE effectively

- of all the great things that Danny has done in his time as GM, this is not one of them. A guy like Gortat could be a nice option here. A more experienced true center would be helpful. Or, you bring in a combo guard to round out the rotation offensively. Maybe Stuckey or Vasquez? Joel Anthony is probably coming back, and he can give you 10 minutes a night, so probably a guard.

This would put Boston with a line-up of Rondo, Bradley, Jeff Green, Sully/Olynyk, and Love with MLE player X, Brandon Bass, and Gerald Wallace off the bench for your playoff rotation. Anthony, along with a cheap PG (bring Pressey back?) round out the team.

So ideally, IMO, the roster is:

Guards: Rondo, Bradley, Stuckey, Pressey
Forwards: Green, Sully, Wallace, Bass, Morrow
Centers: Love, Anthony, Vito

Could be your 3 seed in the East

NML

Other than the Cavs and the #1 pick, no one has more assets than the C's

Bucksin04

Celtics don't have the assets for Love. Maybe Danny Ainge can use a NBA 2K trade override.

Wat? They have their entire roster (don't think anyone on the team is untouchable in a Love trade) plus the following picks:

2014 first round draft pick from Brooklyn
Brooklyn's 2014 1st round pick to Boston [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]
2015 first round draft pick from Philadelphia
Philadelphia's 2015 1st round pick to Boston (via Miami) protected for selections 1-14; if Philadelphia has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Boston by 2015, then Philadelphia will instead convey its 2015 2nd round pick and 2016 2nd round pick to Boston [Miami-Philadelphia, 6/28/2012 and then Boston-Golden State-Miami, 1/15/2014]
2015 first round draft pick from L.A. Clippers
L.A. Clippers' 2015 1st round pick to Boston [Boston-L.A. Clippers, 6/25/2013]
2015 second round draft pick from Sacramento
Sacramento's 2015 2nd round pick to Boston protected for selections 31-55 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Boston will be extinguished) [Boston-Sacramento, 2/17/2009]
2016 first round draft pick from Brooklyn
Brooklyn's 2016 1st round pick to Boston [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]
2016 second round draft pick from Miami
Miami's 2016 2nd round pick to Boston [Boston-Golden State-Miami, 1/15/2014]
2017 first round draft pick from Brooklyn
Boston has the right to swap its 2017 1st round pick for Brooklyn's 2017 1st round pick; if Boston exercises this swap right, then Boston will convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Brooklyn protected for selections 31-45 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Boston's obligation to Brooklyn will be extinguished) [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]
2017 second round draft pick from Sacramento
Sacramento's 2017 2nd round pick to Boston protected for selections 31-55 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Boston will be extinguished) [Boston-Sacramento, 2/24/2011]
2018 first round draft pick from Brooklyn
Brooklyn's 2018 1st round pick to Boston [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Philly's second round pick in '15 and '16 is a really great asset to have. I don't see the Moose not in the lottery next season.

Mame YO

slings rocks
3 seed in the east lol. Goddamn the NBA is so imbalanced... You could miss the playoffs entirely with that roster in the west.

Chase

Wat? They have their entire roster (don't think anyone on the team is untouchable in a Love trade) plus the following picks:

Why would Love opt in with the Celtics if they trade Rondo? Lulz at Kelly Olynyk or Sullinger and picks being sent to the Wolves. David Lee + Harrison Barnes and a pick for Love (he would absolutely opt in with the Warriors) is probably what's best for business.

Reel

Community Liaison
if he wants to actually go deep in the playoffs, he better ask if Rubio can be included in his deal to the Celtics. He aint going very deep if he stays in the West.

NML

Yeah if the new CBA has taught us anything, it's that you rebuild with $15/million a year, injury prone big men and not multiple cheap rookie contracts.

R2D2

Didn't Love say he preferred Golden State to Boston? I remember reading it somewhere. I think SBNation.

NML

Oh, and the other rumor is that Melo is coming too

Rondo, Melo, Love big three DONE DEAL

NML

I have no clue how it would possibly work, nor do I think it's happening, but the idea is that

- they bring in Love via trade
- sign Melo long term
- restructure Rondo to a team friendly deal
- Love opts in and/or signs a long term deal, can go over the cap with bird rights

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Then the Celtics trade Stuckey and Pressey for James Harden

They trade Green & Bass for Nerlens Noel

Guards: Rondo, Harden, Bradley
Forwards: Melo, Sully, Wallace, Morrow
Centers: Love, Noel, Vito

Larry Bird quits the Pacers and returns to Boston

But then they all get killed in a Boston Marathon Bombing with Ass'corch

NML blinds himself having witnessed such horror and wanders the Earth as a hollow shell of a man for the rest of his days