• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2014-15 Club Soccer (UCL, EL, Libertadores, CCL & Domestic Leagues)

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Just turned on the Superclasico match in the Libertadores- what the hell is going on? River players are washing tear gas out of their eyes, riot police everywhere, and talk of the match being abandoned. Was anyone watching this?

And yes, the answer to "what the hell is going on" is "it's Argentina."

@Yankee151 ?

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Boca fan cut through the fence and threw a tear gas canister at the River players- they were gassed and maybe have chemical burns. Huge debate on the field about abandonment- they will need a chopper to get the refs and River players out.

Hahaha, oh man- Boca's manager is arguing with the River players who were just gassed because they don't want to play on.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I'm watching... this shit is insane. I was reading that they can't get enough police there. I think there could be a riot.

EDIT: And they just announced it's going to be suspended? They just showed people running out of the stadium. Holy shit.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I'm watching... this shit is insane. I was reading that they can't get enough police there. I think there could be a riot.

EDIT: And they just announced it's going to be suspended? They just showed people running out of the stadium. Holy shit.

Got a lank to a Fox stream? TV Publica has gone down the shitter.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Seems about par for the course

This seems like an eagle, actually. They haven't announced this yet- probably to avoid a riot- but the rules say that whoever is leading the tie in this type of situation is the winner. I wonder if they'll stick to this or if Grondona's ghost will twist some arms at CONMEBOL.

Snorky's Shame

Pains me to say, but River should be awarded the tie and Boca should be banned from CONMEBOL competitions for a year. No excuse whatsoever.

Not sure who was running out of the stadium. It couldn't be River fans since away fans aren't allowed into stadiums in Argentina right now.

NML

Only 50? Dont get me wrong I think thats about right but with "star player inflation" hes gotta go for more right?

Those numbers were tongue in cheek.

I doubt he'd go for that much, 50m for a keeper is unheard of. He'll probably be near the most ever for a keeper doe, so 30-35m squiggles seems like a good bet.

Also, he's definitely not a star. GK's by their very nature don't have "star quality" and he's not first choice internationally (yet).

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Still 5 teams in the Bundesliga relegation battle. Paderborn and Hamburg (lmao) currently in the bottom 2 with Sttutgart in the playoff spot.

Galatasary are 4 points ahead of Fener and 5 of Bestikas with 3 games to play in Turkey, probably the tighest race in Europe right now

chibob

Those numbers were tongue in cheek.

I doubt he'd go for that much, 50m for a keeper is unheard of. He'll probably be near the most ever for a keeper doe, so 30-35m squiggles seems like a good bet.

Also, he's definitely not a star. GK's by their very nature don't have "star quality" and he's not first choice internationally (yet).

Next World Cup he will be.

Him and Courtois are the best young keepers in the world right now (one has a world class defense the other doesn't) , and Madrid are known for paying over the odds. I think 50 has to be the minimum he goes for.

Also in regards to star quality have you seen Neuer? Its a rare thing but keepers definitely have star quality.

NML

Next World Cup he will be.

Him and Courtois are the best young keepers in the world right now (one has a world class defense the other doesn't) , and Madrid are known for paying over the odds. I think 50 has to be the minimum he goes for.

Also in regards to star quality have you seen Neuer? Its a rare thing but keepers definitely have star quality.

You mean the keeper who just won the World Cup? Yeah, maybe he's a star. De Gea has done nothing on that level though.

I love keepers and and think they are undervalued. De Gea is phenomenal, as good as any keeper in the world. He, Neuer, and Courtois are definitely 1-2-3, in some order. But, clubs don't value them. They don't sell shirts, they don't score goals, they don't get shoe deals. Obviously there are some very rare exceptions to all of those, but again, De Gea's not there yet.

I'm not trying to argue his quality. I'm arguing that clubs don't value keepers who haven't really done anything.

chibob

You mean the keeper who just won the World Cup? Yeah, maybe he's a star. De Gea has done nothing on that level though.

I love keepers and and think they are undervalued. De Gea is phenomenal, as good as any keeper in the world. He, Neuer, and Courtois are definitely 1-2-3, in some order. But, clubs don't value them. They don't sell shirts, they don't score goals, they don't get shoe deals. Obviously there are some very rare exceptions to all of those, but again, De Gea's not there yet.

I'm not trying to argue his quality. I'm arguing that clubs don't value keepers who haven't really done anything.

Yeh I dont think De Gea is there yet either, in the sense that he is still getting better and better. He was a transfer record when he joined United (for BPL goalies) I think he will be a record when/if he joins Madrid. Thats all im saying.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Best I can tell, Buffon's 2001 transfer fee if adjusted for inflation would be €70,769,283 in today's money. Figuring that out was a lot harder than I was expecting.

I'm such a fucking nerd.

Snorky's Shame

To be fair, that was a time period when transfer fees were inflated big time (Vieri, Zidane). I think half of them involved Lazio in some way.

Boca thrown out of Libertadores, fined 200k, have to play the next four games behind closed doors and the next four games with no away fans.

The away fans ban has to be for CONMEBOL competitions because away fans are banned in AFA competitions.

Last edited:

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Absolutely. Unlike a lot of those other crazy Serie A transfers of the time, though, Buffon has been worth every penny and more.

We love to hate the Italian national side, but I'll be dammed if Buffon and Pirlo aren't two of my favorite players.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
And in confirmation of a Things White People Like trope, I'm watching Rapid Wien beating the bejesus out of Austria Wien. 4-1 in the 90th. Rapid won't be able to catch Salzburg for the title, but they're in the Champions League qualification spot.

If I won the powerball, I'd probably buy Rapid. You can get them into the qualifying stages every year, and unlike Salzburg there is a fan base. That should make it easier to spend a bit of money to improve the squad and maybe be able to make the group stages without falling afoul of FFP. They're also building a new stadium right now.

sois

73fcd6b90b3d15e890abc5b79e281c3e.jpg

My foreign exchange kid got me this, he is from Salzburg

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Maybe feelings have cooled some, but the last attendance figures I saw were for a few years ago. RB were drawing about 1/3 of their stadium's capacity. :dunno:

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Stuttgart level, whew.

I want to see Stuttgart and Hannover stay up, and Hamburg to go down. Really, really want Hamburg and that dumb fucking clock to go down.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Valencia takes 4th in Spain, Bilbao to 5th. Granada and Deportivo survive over Eibar and Almeria who will join Cordoba in Segunda next year

I think Betis are one win from going up to Primera, rest of the spots are up in the air with 2-3 left. Barcelona B looks certain to finally go down.

Real Oviedo won their third division group, and are just one series win away from going up to Segunda, which would be amazing. They are my hometown team as my Grandpa was born there.

Snorky's Shame

OFC they are showing a meaningless Bayern match instead of one of the relegation battles. Fffffuuuu

BeIn did the same thing with Paris. Should have shown one of the games for European spots.

Barcelona B finally doing something on the field the LFP should have done administratively long ago. Getting relegated from the Segunda.

I also want Hamburg's clock destroyed. The only reason Bayern hasn't played every Bundesliga is due to the DFB picking 1860 instead of Bayern as Munich's representative when the league started. They only wanted one team per city at the time.

Snorky's Shame

Valencia takes 4th in Spain, Bilbao to 5th. Granada and Deportivo survive over Eibar and Almeria who will join Cordoba in Segunda next year

I think Betis are one win from going up to Primera, rest of the spots are up in the air with 2-3 left. Barcelona B looks certain to finally go down.

Real Oviedo won their third division group, and are just one series win away from going up to Segunda, which would be amazing. They are my hometown team as my Grandpa was born there.

I thought Sevilla finished 5th?

Out of curiosity, how do you reconcile the fact that one of New York City's DPs is a Sporting guy, Oviedo's Asturian rivals.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Oh yeah, I mistranslated the spanish, Bilbao got Europa League but not 5th

I've always liked Villa, I started watching Soccer with Euro 2008 and later found out he played for Sporting, but he's still Asturian and a great player to watch so I don't really mind. The guy that's hard to root for is Mata, since he plays for Man U and I was rooting for him everywhere else in his career (he and Cazorla are the most notable current players from Real Oviedo) The two City teams are still my 1A and 1B favorite teams, Oviedo are more of a side thing until they get to La Liga but I still cheered when Sporting were relegated last year

Plus Oviedo does this which is neat:

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Also Odegaard played today, youngest ever in Real history. Gonna be a great player to be eventually booed into a transfer by age 22.

jdlikewhoa

Oh yeah, I mistranslated the spanish, Bilbao got Europa League but not 5th

I've always liked Villa, I started watching Soccer with Euro 2008 and later found out he played for Sporting, but he's still Asturian and a great player to watch so I don't really mind. The guy that's hard to root for is Mata, since he plays for Man U and I was rooting for him everywhere else in his career (he and Cazorla are the most notable current players from Real Oviedo) The two City teams are still my 1A and 1B favorite teams, Oviedo are more of a side thing until they get to La Liga but I still cheered when Sporting were relegated last year

Plus Oviedo does this which is neat:

giphy.gif