• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 13 Presented by Life Champions Tennessee

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
Adoree Jackson just can't hang on to balls in the rain properly.

Edit: minutes later...
Adoree Jackson can hang on to balls in the rain properly when the rain slows down.

Last edited:

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
JuJu's hands got some bad juju and lost its collective mojo.
Meanwhile....

And...

Last edited:

CJ_24

In my view, if you do not win your division because you lost to f'n pedo state, you do not get to pass go and do not get to go to the playoff.

In my view, if the status quo holds, the playoff should be:

Bama v. psu/wisky

klimpson v. warshington

ohio and brick can go pound sand.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
tOSU are probably a lock. One of the strongest schedules with one of the strongest wins. but I could see the CJ scenario playing out too, just not likely because I don't think conference title is the main determinant, just that it's the thing that will put pedometer in over one of klimps and warsh

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
But who are we kidding, Clemson is just going to Clemson to USCE or the CHOKIES and solve the CFPCAA's problem for them.

CJ_24

Of course Penn State would get obliterated in the playoff. That is besides the point. The point is that we have conferences, and unless you want to do away with them, winning your conference has some merit to it. To me, it is an absurd syllogism that a football team can be considered the best team in the nation, while they cannot be considered the best team in their own division.

The ranking system is completely arbitrary, maintaining some dignity for winning a conference at least brings some objective criteria to the process. If you do away with even that modicum of objectivity, you might as well admit the system is a rigged popularity contest and any team not named ohio state, alabama, michigan, florida state, oklahoma, usc or notre dame should not waste their time even applying.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think the committee will exclude OSU because they didn't get to the championship game unless both Washington and Clemson lose. I think they want every game to matter and not have the Big Ten Championship game be some game that doesn't matter.

Really should have knocked them out today. 3 turnovers gave the game away. Ugh.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
The point of the playoff is to get the best 4 teams. Ohio State is one of them, PSU is not. Problem solved.

Also, lol at CFB not being some rigged popularity contest. TCU dropping out of the top 4 after winning by 50 in 2014 says hi.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Penn State are winning the division because Michigan lost to Iowa, basically. Which might be fair if Iowa hadn't Iowa'd the rest of their schedule as it'd provide a fair opponent for the B1G LEADERS or whatever the division names are this year. Instead it's just Wisky, who until recently were losing to Minnesota.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
What the fuck, I thought Minnesota was gonna get the Axe back. They were up 10 and now they're down 21.

Confused-Leach.gif

CJ_24

Further, it begs the question. What makes everyone so sure that Ohio does deserve to be in despite failing to win their own division (much less conference). Did anyone watching that game this morning think they were witnessing two of the three best teams in the nation? Neither team looked any good, and if Michigan had not dicked the dog all game, Ohio would not have won despite the fact that their offense looked like crap most of the game. Ohio may very well be the second best team in the nation, or they may be the 10th. I have no idea. And if you cut through all the bull, ultimately those who do say Ohio is the second best team in the nation are relying on the EYE TEST. And we know how reliable that is.

Which brings me back to my central point--the system is an arbitrary popularity contest, there is no real logic to who gets anointed and who does not, so it is rational to impart some semblance of objective criteria.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
No one is relying on the EYE TEST, what the hell are you talking about? If I were relying on the eye test, OSU wouldn't even be ranked because Barrett looks worse than Anus Solomon throwing the ball. What is PSU's best win outside of a lucky win over OSU? Sqeaking by a shitty as fuck Minnesota team?

OSU's second best win is better than 99% of the country. Their third best win is better than 99% of the country.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
And fwiw CJ I agree with you to a certain extent. I'd be open to including Colorado over any of those teams if they win today and beat Warshington in the PAC title game, for example. The problem is that the best team in the B1G (They've stomped all the ranked B1G teams they've played other than PSU) should be in the playoff, and then does the B1G really deserve two spots?

If all 4 Big 4 conferences have one team coming out of the gauntlet at 13-0 or 12-1, those teams should probably be in just by the basic fact that their SOS is probably going to be good enough.

It just sucks that the system is still sorta brokedick. I mean everyone talks about these random 3 loss teams as if they have a chance in a 4-team playoff. Once it moves to 8 it'll be so much simpler. Alabama, tOSU, Clemson, Pedometer/Wiscy/Michigan, BUFFS, OU/OSU Warsh, UF/FSU/Other B1G team

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
And fuck is it frustrating that WVU/Houston/VILLE dicked the dog. If any of those teams stay on one loss or undefeated in Houston's case, that's one easy spot and then there's less debate.

CJ_24

No one is relying on the EYE TEST, what the hell are you talking about? If I were relying on the eye test, OSU wouldn't even be ranked because Barrett looks worse than Anus Solomon throwing the ball. What is PSU's best win outside of a lucky win over OSU? Sqeaking by a shitty as fuck Minnesota team?

OSU's second best win is better than 99% of the country. Their third best win is better than 99% of the country.

How do you know those things? Because the teams were ranked in a certain spot when Ohio played them? If that is so, then what do you make of Wisconsin's wins over LSU and Sparty? Or do those not count? And you do you make that determination? Why do you make that determination?

You are using the EYE TEST because when you cut through all the pomp and circumstance, you are not using any other criteria. Your syllogism is Ohio is better because they beat Michigan and Oklahoma, and Michigan and Oklahoma are great because they're ranked high and they looked good when I saw them play. If that is not your ultimate criteria, I would like to know what it is, because that's the criteria that everyone ultimately uses in these inane discussions.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Because I put butter in my mac and cheese.

You really think OSU's win over 9-2 currently top 10 OU and 9-2 currently top 10 Wisconsin are comparable to a Sparty team that sucks shit and was obviously overrated and a 7-4 LSU team? Are you insane?

Wooly

Oh the hyperbole.

Bama is beatable by any team with enough athletes, which is probably 20 teams. Does Alabama lose? Probably not, but they are not unbeatable. They have had better teams under Saban, their defense has been better too. Clemson and Ohio St. probably have the most athletes among the contenders, but a team like Washington, Wisconsin, PSU, Oklahoma, etc all could do it on a good day. There are no bad teams among the contenders for the playoffs, so Bama could certainly get beat.

Penn St. does not suck, unless your definition of sucking is "Bama, and everyone else sucks". They are 10-2 and beat Ohio St. If PSU beats Wisconsin in the title game (assuming they beat Minn), then I think PSU should be in a playoff over Ohio St. PSU has a heads up win over OSU, and conference titles do matter IMO. If it was an 10-3 PSU team winning the conference, that is a different matter, but 10-2 winning it with a win over OSU is a better argument than 11-1, in this case.

As of right now, Alabama and Clemson are the clear favorites for the playoffs. I think if Washington wins out they should get the third spot over anyone else, given 11-1 and the Conf title. Then, there is a lot of relative arguments for the 4th spot. PSU at 11-2 with wins over OSU and Wiscy is a good argument. An 11-1 OSU with a win over Michigan is a good argument, as is Oklahoma at 10-2 and conf title with wins over WVU and OSU. If Florida wins out, they have a good argument too, at 10-2 and a win over Bama and FSU in the last two weeks. Even Wiscy at 10-2 with a win over PSU is an argument. WVU and Okie probably can't get in no matter what, at this point. Even a win over Oklahoma probably doesn't gain enough ground for a 10-2 Okie St., even with a conf title. That loss to CMU just kills them. Whichever 10-2 team that wins the Big 10 CCG would have a better argument anyway, at that point, as would an 11-1 OSU team this year.

I think one loss teams with conf titles should have a better argument than 2 loss teams in most cases, but 1 loss teams without a conf title (which is rare) are more of a coin flip with 2 loss teams and a conf title. That is why I give Washington the 3rd spot if they win out (and assuming Clemson & Bama win out). No matter what, then you get to two loss teams it's just a lot of relative arguments, so among the 2 loss teams, I am not going to get pissed no matter who gets in for the 4th spot.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Big 12 = out unless Colorado loses tonight, followed by Warshington and klimps losses next week. anything else and we out

ONE TRUE SHAMP

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Counterpoint to conference titles matter: Alabama won a national title in 2011 despite not winning their division

Soonerfan09

Nobody has a good win because everyone sucks.

CJ_24

Because I put butter in my mac and cheese.

You really think OSU's win over 9-2 currently top 10 OU and 9-2 currently top 10 Wisconsin are comparable to a Sparty team that sucks shit and was obviously overrated and a 7-4 LSU team? Are you insane?

I do not know if they are, or if they are not. It is a safe assumption that Ohio's wins are better. But of course, Ohio nearly lost to Sparty last week, so we're back to the objective eye test of I think X is better because I saw them do Y.

Counterpoint to conference titles matter: Alabama won a national title in 2011 despite not winning their division

My argument would be that Bama should not have been in that title game. That year epitomizes the popularity contest model. Everyone in a position to make that decision pre-determined that Bama and LSU were the best, and they were going to be picked unless they gave the committee no other choice than to pick someone else.

My point at bottom is that if your criteria is "the four best teams," you have no objective way to make that determination. It turns into a popularity contest, and it divides the schools into two different regular seasons. Either you're one of the chosen few, who are granted a spot unless you fuck it up; or you are not one of the chosen, and you only get a spot if one of the anointed royally fucks up.

If you want to do away with conferences, and conference championships, there are arguments to be made for that (and it may have my vote, because why the hell rutgers and maryland are in the big ten, missouri is in the sec east, and syracuse is in the acc, etc, I have no idea). As long as we have conference championships, then in my view, there is a good argument to be made that they provide a neutral criteria for birth into the playoff. Granted there are arguments of what do you do with four spots and more than four conference champions, but that is another argument.