• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup- Semifinal thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
8cGvWzf.gif

Qz9dK96.gif

Renegade

Charge on!
Anyone found any good social media compilations of Brazil fans? I feel like there's thousands of hilarious comments out there just waiting to be compiled into a best of list.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
I feel pretty comfortable in saying Germany could have hung 3-4 on us if they'd really wanted to, so I'm not sure how much it means in that context, but man.

I don't know that I've ever seen such a drubbing at any decent level. Shocking is the word. Will be very interesting to see what Brazil looks like on Saturday.

BearDownUofA

Festizio
I feel pretty comfortable in saying Germany could have hung 3-4 on us if they'd really wanted to, so I'm not sure how much it means in that context, but man.
But they didn't, so I'll take comfort in knowing that no matter how meaningless in the grand scheme of things it is, at least we didn't lose as badly to Germany as mighty Brazil did. And at least we weren't on our home soil.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
1983 - Copa America Runner Up
1984 - Olympic Silver Medalists
1987 - Pan Am Champs
1988 - Olympic Silver Medalists
1989 - Copa America Runner Champ
1991 - Copa America Runner Up
1994 - World Cup Champs
1995 - Copa America Runner Up
1996 - CONCACAF Runner Up
1997 - Confederations Cup Champs
1997 - Copa America Runner Champs
1998 - World Cup Runner Up
1999 - Confederations Cup Runner Up
1999 - Copa America Champs
2002 - World Cup Champs
2003 - CONCACAF Runner Up
2003 - Pan Am Runner Up
2004 - Copa America Runner Champs
2005 - Confederations Cup Champs
2007 - Copa America Runner Champs
2009 - Confederations Cup Champs
2012 - Olympic Silver Medalists
2013 - Confederations Cup Champs

With results like that, "not (being) Brazil" doesn't look all that bad. They'll be fine.

Only thing that matters is the World Cup. People in Europe genuinely don't give a shit about the confederations cup. I don't even watch it and I'm a massive football fan. European teams don't take it seriously at all. And Copa America isn't exactly a challenge to win.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I knew Germany would murderball Brasil without Neymar, but damn. Then again, this really is the worst team Brasil has sent to the WC in a long time, with or without Neymar. If they hadn't been hosting, I'd have been surprised to see them get out of the group stage.

Renegade

Charge on!
Still an opportunity for Messi to Messi against Brazil. Then we'll get some serious rioting. Of course, Thiago Silva will back for that game and the Brazilians will be extra motivated no doubt.

gilstein21

more on the guy from reddit

Apparently (from reddit) this guy follows the Seleção wherever they go since 1990. He has been to 7 World Cups, 6 Copa Américas, 4 Confederation Cups, 1 Olympic Game. He has visited 66 countries and has watched 149 games althogether.
So, he's been to 3 world cup finals, Brazil winning two of them.

Milo

Wasn't this always the case with the Dutch fans as well.

Barcelona and Madrid have a similar "win pretty or don't bother" mentality. Just ask Fabio Capello.

If I had to create a difference between the two, I would contrast the Brazilian "win pretty or don't bother" with the stereotypical voice of the Dutch soccer fandom as "play pretty or don't bother." Obviously both countries, or any country for that matter, seek to win, but there has been a certain aspect of Dutch soccer over the decades that promoted flamboyancy over pragmatism(ruthlessness?) whereas the Brazilians somehow could embody both. Funnily enough, the first player that popped into my head that exemplfies the stereotype of Dutch soccer is Socrates, a Brazilian. Yes, it's a game that they want to win, but it's also a show. And the show could sometimes take precedence, even on the biggest occasions. The Brazilians put on a show but they put on a show while they were putting the ball into the back of the net. That's not always the case in the history of the Dutch.

While there were many times when many Dutch fans were angry or felt ashamed of their national team, it was rarely over the style of play, but rather the drama(and that's putting it mildly in some cases) that followed the team to almost every major tournament. Obviously there was always the negative reaction after losing(74 was particularly devastating), but for the most part, they were lovable in defeat. Maybe moreso to outsiders, but I think its fairly accurate in the Netherlands as well.

Some of us have referenced the '74 Final because it exemplifies the stereotypes of Dutch and German soccer. The Dutch, having scored before the Germans even touched the ball, spent the next 20(?) or so minutes basically taunting and attempting to embarrass them on the ball(obviously political, personal reasons were a factor but it still highlights the show over the result.) On the other hand, the Germans kept their cool, stayed organized, and ruthlessly took the lead back. The Dutch never recovered.

Obviously, I'm playing with the general perception and stereotypes. The man that engineered much of the Dutch success in the 70s, Rinus Michels, was a pretty gruff and practical drill sergeant of a coach, but this thread of beautiful but not the bride runs through Dutch soccer history.

It's interesting because 2010 seems to be the point when both countries came face to face with teams that didn't embody the typical Dutch nor Brazilian team. I'd argue Brazil's was an evolution since the 70s, but the Dutch seemed outwardly to be more of an abrupt switch. Dunga's 2010 team was almost vilified before the tournament even started; the Dutch of decades ago would never have tried to hack Spain, but rather, rightly or wrongly(I'd side with wrongly) would have thought they could, or at least should try to, outplay Spain at their own game. I believe Brazil's was more of a conscious decision(I forget the World Cup(70s?), but they lost out to some stronger, fitter Euro teams and basically revamped their entire development and selection process to ensure it would never happen again.) The Dutch had a more quiet, natural evolution(toward today's more physical and tighter game) that really manifested itself in 2010.

Last edited:

Snorky's Shame

Just add to Milo's points:

I think the World Cup he's referring to is 1974. That Brazil team was much different than 1970 and lost to the Dutch in the second group phase.

I think the Dutch approach changed based on two excruciating losses in the early 2000's.

- Euro 2000 Semifinal vs. Italy
- 2002 WCQ at Ireland

In both games, the Dutch couldn't get a result despite playing significant portions of the game a man up and lost to teams more able to dig deep and fight.

It should also be noted that the Dutch were involved in one of the dirtiest World Cup games ever vs. Portugal in 2006.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Even Messi is airmailing free kicks

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
confetti from the fans. it's a big non-american thing
They were streamers I believe and MLS had a problem with this a few years ago IIRC… I believe they banned them from matches @Snorky's Shame?

This match has been awful. Opening up a bit now it seems guys are starting to tire at least.

Snorky's Shame

They were streamers I believe and MLS had a problem with this a few years ago IIRC… I believe they banned them from matches @Snorky's Shame?

This match has been awful. Opening up a bit now it seems guys are starting to tire at least.

Yeah, Toronto fans kept throwing them at opposing team corner takers at the supporters' end at BMO.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
This game is so bad. Dutch seem to have the upper hand but can't get the ball into the box.