• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

World Cup- Semifinal thread

Keith1212

That dude Robben's ball handling is ridiculous btw. Also, the Netherlands had a shot to end it but once again poor decision making fucked it up. It's rampant in soccer from my eyes. Robben chose to try a header instead of just kicking it.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I dunno. It would be like the NHL Finals Game 7 going to a shootout. Why not just continue playing and the first to score wins? At some point they're gonna get so tired that a goal is gonna eek through. Hell, both teams had multiple chances just before the PK.

I mean, even the announcers, who were previous players, called the PK a "luck" thing. Kinda shitty to play a game so important for 2 full hours and then have it come down to luck

Well you have to remember this isn't the finals and they have a game to play in 4 days. Plus hamstrings tend to go out about that point when you've been on the field for 2 hours+. It is just basically injuries and they have a game shortly

Bruce Wayne

Well you have to remember this isn't the finals and they have a game to play in 4 days. Plus hamstrings tend to go out about that point when you've been on the field for 2 hours+. It is just basically injuries and they have a game shortly

Wait...what?

oh, now I get it. Sarcasm. :cool:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Wait...what?

oh, now I get it. Sarcasm. :cool:
No sarcasm, unless those two trapped me. The main reason for the game yesterday is they have to play in 4 days. You go 150 minutes because nobody can score with no extra subs and they auto lose Sunday

Bruce Wayne

No sarcasm, unless those two trapped me. The main reason for the game yesterday is they have to play in 4 days. You go 150 minutes because nobody can score with no extra subs and they auto lose Sunday

Well, i read that wrong then.

perhaps these guys would be motivated to score in regulation if they new they couldn't be bailed out by PKs?

Keith1212

I understand pk's, they just really need to set the ball back to give the goalie better then a guessing chance at making the save.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Well, i read that wrong then.

perhaps these guys would be motivated to score in regulation if they new they couldn't be bailed out by PKs?

Haha, they aren't bailed out by PKs. It is a crap shoot. Netherlands definitely got bailed out yesterday as they lost.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Bailed out as in not having to keep playing and being to tired to compete in four days.

Well yeah, nobody wants that. Not the fans, not the players, not FIFA. Well a group of 23 guys and corches do, Germany. I guess some Americans do too, because they want to watch awful soccer.

Renegade

Charge on!
article-2685286-1F83221600000578-307_634x784.jpg

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The NHL doesn't seem to have a problem with multiple OTs in the playoffs.

They have line shifts. With only 3 subs total in soccer it just becomes excruciating to watch, especially when both teams are "playing not to lose" like they were yesterday. Playing not to lose + ultra tired players = why 'murica hates soccer. That game could have gone on for days, lol. Just end the misery and move on.

Keith1212

Is moving the ball back further not even worth considering? Y'all would rather just keep it as it is or do away with it completely and go to extra time only after regular time is up I guess?

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
They used to do it in NASL I think. They did it like hockey where the guy could dribble up from a ways out.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Didn't FIFA at one time just use Sudden Death at the end of extra time? Instead of having a mandatory 30 minute overtime in which both teams go into a defensive shell and figure they'll just try their luck in PKs, just do away with extra time altogether and make Sudden Death standard after 90 minutes of play, with an additional 3 subs.

ZeekLTK

Is moving the ball back further not even worth considering? Y'all would rather just keep it as it is or do away with it completely and go to extra time only after regular time is up I guess?

If you move it back much further (just outside of the box is what I assume you mean) it becomes a free kick, and very few of those are scored. Most of the time the only reason they are scored is because the keeper can't see the ball coming in because of all the people in front of him and reacts too slow, or because he has to worry about other options such as "what if they pass it or cross it instead of just shoot it", so sometimes shots catch him by surprise.

If you just had a "shootout" with one guy taking a free kick and only the goalie, there is no one in the keeper's way and there are no other options besides shooting, so I think the goalie would stop like 98% of the shots.

Then we would be in here complaining that it took 30 minutes to determine a winner because no one could score.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Although I understand the unappealing aspect of the amount of luck involved, I don't think I've watched a shootout yet this tournament where there hasn't been 2-3 saves. Considering the keeper "has no chance", saving 20-30% of the shots seems like a pretty good amount. Also thinking that Krul should have saved an additional one and that last shot yesterday basically hit Cileesen in the face and should have been saved.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Yea isn't there some skill involved I. They krul can stop all these shots but the guy ned had in yesterday is now 0/20 lifetime stopping shots?

if everything was alway 5-4 or 6-5 or 7-6 because the kicks can't be stopped I'd say there needs to be a change. As it is now go with what it is.

ZeekLTK

I used to hate the "luck" aspect but then I realized that the only reason they are doing PKs is because the match ended in a draw. Neither team did enough to advance. You can't do tiebreakers, because obviously there are none: goal difference? same, goals scored? same, head to head? same, etc. You gave them 33% more time than they would normally have to determine a winner and they still didn't. At this point, neither deserves to advance more than the other, so you do something "luck" based to decide who does. You could flip a coin, or you could do something that is at least soccer-related and have a PK shootout.

Other options just don't make sense:
-Free kicks or corner kicks have such a low scoring percentage that it wouldn't be an efficient way to determine a winner
-Using other stats from the game itself as tiebreakers would alter how the game is played (if you say, fine no team can be separated by goal difference or goals scored then whoever has the most corners... but then teams will actively try to get corner kicks during the game, and that actually changes how the game is played, so that's no good - just imagine in the last 5 minutes of a game, teams trying to kick the ball off defenders for corner kicks rather than trying to score goals because it's way easier to get 3-4 corner kicks to win a tiebreaker than it is to get the 1 goal needed to win. If you count shots, teams will just shoot low percentage shots from distance to rack up that number which simultaneously decreases their chance of actually scoring... basically, non-goal tiebreakers would suck even more).
-Continue playing is too straining on the players

= PKs are the best option, even if it "sucks" - but it's fair because the team who "wins" didn't do enough to advance anyways, so they ARE lucky to advance at all

Last edited:

Keith1212

Set the ball on the middle line and the goalie gets to react instead of guess and pk's aren't so much of a crap shoot. It's probably two yards of difference but I think it would be enough. I understand the basis behind them, I just think the execution is off. The ball doesn't have to be outside the box but it's way too close as it is now.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Set the ball on the middle line and the goalie gets to react instead of guess and pk's aren't so much of a crap shoot. It's probably two yards of difference but I think it would be enough. I understand the basis behind them, I just think the execution is off. The ball doesn't have to be outside the box but it's way too close as it is now.

I think that would actually make it more difficult for the goalie to prevent the goal.

Brick

how about both teams are eliminated if the game ends in a tie after 120 minutes? that would be some incentive to score.

i get what zeek is saying that no team "deserves" to win so a tie is just in that sense. but we are not talking about a single game. we are talking about a tournament where you are advancing to win a shampship.

Milo

The wall is advantageous to the defense, too(that's why they do it.) The main reason those kicks aren't on target or don't beat the goalkeeper is because players can't take direct shots.

Watch any decent team do warm-ups before a game when they are taking shots from just outside the box. They should be hitting the net regularly*(yes, keeper is typically not going all out.)

*UNLESS YOU ARE JOHN ARNE RIISE

Last edited:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Zeek tested this theory in his days in Mali and can confirm 98% shot blockage.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Well. That was a pointless conversation about the replacement of penalty kicks (which are never going to be replaced).