• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Wendell Gee's Moscow Mules

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
You're in a tight spot. One might say between a rock and a hard place. It will be huge to find out what your owner expects, hopefully he doesn't expect too much. The dirty north is so tough right now it's hard for teams to rise up.
We keep carrying over huge losses year over year. Starting balance 2046 is -19M after starting last year at -13. If I pencil in the same gate revenue against our current payroll, I'm looking at a loss of 13M this year. Pending merch. If that is the same, then the loss will be 3M this year.

What's the opposite of the big bang? The great implosion?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
We keep carrying over huge losses year over year. Starting balance 2046 is -19M after starting last year at -13. If I pencil in the same gate revenue against our current payroll, I'm looking at a loss of 13M this year. Pending merch. If that is the same, then the loss will be 3M this year.

What's the opposite of the big bang? The great implosion?

It is the tenacious tank.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
January, St. Petersburg.

"You do not care for the winter, Wendell."

Mr. bin Aliyy's hat and coat were sprinkled in a fine layer of the driest snow blowing across the Neva River. He smoked a Cuban cigar.

"When I was a boy I spent my summers not far from here, working in my uncle's floral shop. I learned the ways of business there. Also that I don't care for flowers. A lot of expense for little things that wilt and are gone." He pointed his cigar to the complex behind us. "I would take a bus ride into town when I had a day to myself. Many times I walked the floors of the Hermitage. Perhaps the greatest museum of art in the world. It was once the Winter Palace of Catharine the Great. At least that is what I think. I am not a student of history. Works of the great Italian Renaissance. There I learned that if you paint a flower, it lasts forever in the hearts of countrymen."

It was not permitted to bring food and drink onto the grounds of the Winter palace. Yet here we were. Sitting in the shelter of an empty guard shack, eating from a tureen of borscht and potatoes, which was kept warm by a can of sterno. A cormorant watched us from the snow covered lawn beyond the open doorway.

We had eaten in silence. It is hard to make conversation when one is waiting to be fired.

Mr. bin Aliyy opened the seal of a thermos and poured out coffee for both of us. "An unusual place for a meeting, perhaps. Yet it is the way of business. Sometimes I must return to the place where I was a boy and see it again." The cormorant watched us sip our coffee. I threw a piece of boiled potato out the open door, and the bird angled its head in one way and then the other, studying it. Suddenly it snapped up the potato and swallowed it whole. Then with a strange utterance like the growling of a stomach it walked into the guard shack, shook its feathers, and sat down to watch us. Out of the whole desolate snowscape it was the only thing moving on this side of the palace.

end of part 1

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
"Wendell, my baseball club won 100 games before your arrival. We were in second place. Since then, 87 games, 82 games, 83 games." He fished a lump of potato from the soup and fed it, in his gloved hand, to the bird. "This baseball has taught me many things. First, it is war. Second, it is never-ending war. Third, it is war between friends. We do not wish for darkness on anyone. Only more success shining upon us. Warmly, like the sun." He fed the bird another potato. The cormorant made a muted clucking sound.

"But the sun cannot be coaxed out of his season. So, Wendell, let us enjoy the beauties of winter while it is upon us. Tonight, my lady friend Nadya brings her friend Rossiya to meet you. We will go out together. We will talk about this year before us. We will talk about the years like they are water and paper. The women will laugh and we will be happy. For although I am a business man, I have a faith in the sun and the cycling of the seasons. And, most importantly, I have a faith in my banking account, which tells me I cannot afford to replace my general manager. Haha! So please accept this contract extension with my good wishes."

He pulled a fat envelope from inside his coat and handed it to me. For one brief moment it gleamed whitely in his gloved hand. Then the cormorant lunged at it, seized it, and leaped away from the doorway, flapping off into the westering winter sun.

end of part 2

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Mr. bin Aliyy looked wildly around the shack, rifling through a desk and filing cabinet, until he found an antique revolver under some paperwork. He spun the barrel, saw it was loaded, and ran out the door into the deep snow, firing at the disappearing cormorant. "Stop, you bird! That is good American cash!" But the cormorant was flying straight for the river, the Neva, now frozen. And Mr. bin Aliyy was headed straight for it. "Hey!" I shouted at him, but my shout was lost as soldiers suddenly materialized from the snowfall. "Halt, comrade!" I heard, or at least that's what I thought I heard. My Russian is not so good. And I was running. There was a quick burst of gunfire. Then I heard profanity, and all was silent. I feared the worst and ran as hard as I could. It was slow going in the deep snow. One could not see twenty feet ahead.

The snow suddenly turned to ice at the river's edge. I couldn't see it. Too late, I went down in a heap and slid to a stop in a tangle of bodies. "Crazy nephew! What are you doing?" One of the soldiers was shaking Mr. bin Aliyy. "I will get fired for this. You, shooting a historic firearm at a protected species on the grounds of the Winter Palace!" The soldier threw up his hands. "My sister! My dear sister! You raised a fool! Why didn't I keep him in the flower shop? Now we are all dead. Why did I ever agree to let you have a meeting in my dear shack?"

"It is not a problem." Mr. bin Aliyy had struggled up to a seated position. He wiped at his bloody mouth and smiled. One of his teeth had been knocked out. He held up the envelope. "We never had a problem, you see?" He counted out some bills to each of the soldiers. "A bird flew by accident into your sentry post and took important state documents. You successfully retrieved the documents. All safe. As is the bird." He pointed to the riverbank not far away. The cormorant, unharmed, watched us. I realized that in this heavy snowfall, I couldn't see the other riverbank. I couldn't even see the palace from here. Sounds seemed to die away. We were five men on a frozen river in Russia. Three soldiers, two of them looking lovingly at the cash in their hands, Mr. bin Aliyy, and me. "No harm has been done. Merely a winter day's excitement."

The third soldier was not impressed. He had regained his feet, and now raised his assault rifle. "Who are you?"

Mr. bin Aliyy held up his hands, palms out. He gestured to his coat, and the soldier nodded. Mr. bin Aliyy slowly reached inside his coat, fished around for a moment, as if reaching for identification, then withdrew two baseball caps. He gave one to me. I wondered why on earth he had brought two caps with him. Signed by the entire team, no less. Nico, Mason!, Felitti, Pei Wei, Jaime Robles. Everyone. He rose carefully to his feet, testing the slick ice, and gestured for me to do the same. He took off his winter hat and put on the baseball cap. He crossed his arms. I followed his lead.

"We are the Moscow Mules," he said.

end of part 3

Last edited:

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
The third soldier's face lit up in astonishment. He lowered his gun. "Those are signed by the team? Even Mason? My son was very upset whe you traded Mason. Very upset." He shook his head. "Little Novotna was inconsolable."

Mr. bin Aliyy took the hat off and extended it. "It was a difficult trade. We always must attempt to make our team better. Even when short term results hurt us in our hearts. For your son, comrade." The soldier took it, smiling widely as he scanned the names. Mr. bin Aliyy then looked at me sadly. "My Nadya will not kiss me tonight. Perhaps not until I fix my teeth. But perhaps you will have winter delight, Wendell. Your cap is for the girl Rossiya. Nadya tells me you have already met. She says Rossiya likes you very much." He smiled a broken smile and turned back to the soldiers, helping his old uncle to regain his feet. "Now let us all return to the sentry post and share boscht and coffee as new friends. We will tell stories about the cormorant that led us on a wild goose chase, in a snow that defied the security cameras and muffled the sounds of gunshots so that they sounded simply like the river ice cracking its bones. Haha!"

But we did not go out that night. No sooner had Mr. bin Aliyy's laughter faded in the rustle of the snow than we heard a series of loud cracks and pops. The river ice suddenly gave way underneath our combined weight.

And so I write this from the hospital room, my dear Rossiya. Perhaps you will think it is a tall tale. But it is truth. I hear that Mr. bin Aliyy is doing quite well now. Sadly, they tell me the cormorant used the cash to line its nest. I do not know how much it was, and he of course won't tell me. They apparently never found his uncle's antique handgun. They say it was a Nagant M1895. Which means nothing to me. But it is no matter. In fact, perhaps it is for the best. I still have my job in Moscow, and I plan to visit you often, when the sun returns for his season. I think it will be a good year.

С любовью,
Wendell

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
gTWkfSk.png

sweet-jesus-face-foto.jpg

Schauwn

Wendell, didn't you find that we had a rule change a few years ago? Maybe it was the mound height...

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Yeah, go to WBL / League Info / History Index / League Evolution, and there is one change.
31 October 2037, Mound height lowered, more offense expected

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
player_9030.png

This guy was drafted in the 6th round in 2043 and released without getting a minor league at-bat. Went back home and mowed yards for his father's lawn business in Palmdale until Howard found him. I open the newspaper today and see he's now the #8 prospect in the WBL. Whether he lives up to the OSA hype or not, this made my day.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
I commented on Noel Abbott in my recent vidya (at 15:51). He has not performed this year like he did last year. I noticed in that vidya that I had set him to "use more often" from the bullpen. And he was exhausted. So I set him back to "normal use" and hoped all would be well.

Today I got the news that he's out a few weeks with chronic back soreness. I've put him on the 15 day DL and will rehab him in the minors.

Gooksta

I commented on Noel Abbott in my recent vidya (at 15:51). He has not performed this year like he did last year. I noticed in that vidya that I had set him to "use more often" from the bullpen. And he was exhausted. So I set him back to "normal use" and hoped all would be well.

Today I got the news that he's out a few weeks with chronic back soreness. I've put him on the 15 day DL and will rehab him in the minors.
maybe try a quick hook with him or a pitch limit so he doesn't go 3 innings. That might help if you wanna stay with use more often

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
maybe try a quick hook with him or a pitch limit so he doesn't go 3 innings. That might help if you wanna stay with use more often
Weird to set a pitch limit on a reliever, but maybe that needs to be done. He went 49 pitches and faced 13 batters in a 3 inning mop-up against Berlin. That was one game prior to his injury.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Team is playing well this year, at one time reaching #2 in the standings (mid-sim). We get some love in the All Wizard Game. No complaints except that Zippo was selected ahead of Pei Wei. !!!

SP Nicodemas Hellmann (MOS) - 12-4, 2.78 ERA
CL Luis Cháves (MOS) - 3-4, 19 SV, 3.76 ERA
C Zoubeir Adipo (MOS) - .305/.357/.541, 15 HR, 40 RBI
3B Hugo Yazîcî (MOS) - .307/.336/.587, 26 HR, 72 RBI
LF Luis Vélez (MOS) - .304/.358/.505, 15 HR, 42 RBI
RF Jaime Robles (MOS) - .330/.361/.526, 15 HR, 43 RBI

Owner is happy. :)

bOIoh65.png

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Moscow was bipolar bear in 2046. We were a playoff lock at the end of July and a has-been at the end of September. The reasons as best I can tell are two-fold. First, our schedule set up favorably for our run in July, although that evened out in August. But we should have made another run in September and did not, and that was the second reason: Jaime Robles was injured and unable to play. It was a tough year for Robles; first a bruised hand, then a bruised elbow, and finally a strained back. He's healthy again now but it was obvious that he was our offensive weapon this year. Without him we tanked. A 16 game losing streak? Ouch.

N6DzsXL.png

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Not sure what I could have done in retrospect. JRobles is everything for us. I think I did my usual job of turning gold to shit.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
High WAR MVP List

Moscow
1. 3B Hugo Yazici. Hit .308 with 44 HR and 108 RBI.
2. RF Jaime Robles. Hit .321 with 27 HR and 72 RBI.
3. C Pei Wong. Hit .304, 16 HR, 57 RBI.
4. C/DH Zoubeir Adipo. Hit .303, 20 HR, 58 RBI.
5. 1B Alonso Donatello. Hit .294, 16 HR, 47 RBI. The kid finally is maturing.
- Tie. LF Luis Velez. Hit .288, 22 HR, 65 RBI. Low-paid Luis keeps delivering.

Khatukay
1. CF Adrian Jones, .311, 23 HR, 91 RBI.
2. 1B Feitze Schuur, .336, 36 HR, 112 RBI. He was supposed to get the September call-up but I was lost on the no-internet island.
3. LF Gavin Hodge, .270, 25 HR, 59 RBI.

Novaya Maka
1. LF Fernando Chavez, .332, 28 HR, 125 RBI.
2. SS Obiniana Esperenzilla, .284, 19 HR, 90 RBI.
3. RF Cody Witt, .304, 21 HR, 79 RBI.

Belgorod
1. C Jack Gallon, .303, 10 HR, 44 RBI.
2. SS Nicholas Osmotherley, .292, 7 HR, 52 RBI.
3. CF Epco Westerduin, .278, 6 HR, 26 RBI.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
High WAR Pitchers

Moscow
1. Nicodemas Hellmann. WAR 5.2, FIP 3.48 WHIP 1.10. Nico being Nico. Offense failed to lift him to 20 wins doe.
2. Jose Rivas. WAR 4.1, FIP 3.89, WHIP 1.13. At the peak of his game now.
3. Shihi Uchida. WAR 4.0, FIP 3.86, WHIP 1.37. The big 6'7 Jap sold his pizza biz to focus on his throwing mechanics.
4. Bartolo Romero. WAR 3.2, FIP 3.71, WHIP 1.33. Still growing into his giant right arm.

Khatukay
1. Kadidou Mwalimu. WAR 4.0, FIP 3.69, WHIP 1.21. Triple A perennial brought over from Berlin for his popularity.
2. Victorino Mellane. WAR 3.6, FIP 3.54, WHIP 1.43. Longtime Moscow prospect.

Novaya Maka
1. Keiran Reynolds. WAR 3.8 FIP 3.43, WHIP 1.35. None of these guys is likely to move up.
2. Manuel Velez.
3. Juan Ruiz.

Belgorod
1. Bento Embaraador
2. Gilberto Dias
3. Harley Burbridge
4. Harley Jacks. The AI keeps telling me to give up on the two Harleys.
5. Paul Madison.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Good off-season so far in Moscow.

!) We cleared a cool $32M in profit, which finally erased our lingering budget deficit and left Mr. bin Karolyy with a 12M net profit. He celebrated by reinvesting that 12M into the team, bumping our budget up from 134M to 146M. You know what? That's r13pect. Immediately reinvesting total profits back into the franchise, despite our late season collapse.

@) Arb room was empty this year because we took care of business early. We had a handful of team options, and I executed them all. No Wizards among them, but all on reasonable salaries.

#) We have only two mega-contracts on the books. One is Nico at 18M. And he's worth that. The other is Jose Gonzalez, who executed the 14M player option of his contract and returns for one final season. Which is not so bad now that I figured out how to use him to generate positive WAR. I gotta confess, Gonzales with his wrecked status, I had him running and stealing at every opportunity to try to injure hisself, get a CEI, and retire. Knowing my luck that will happen this year now that he has his last paycheck.

$) Still no revolution in Red Square. Kids carrying baseball bats just want them autographed. But Dominique is still missed.

osick87

Community Liaison
Ever thought of putting Chase @ 1st?

Chavez's eye rating looks grossly low when you look at his Walks.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
That's a good point. Which made me look at some team reports. Chavez walked 51 times in 569 plate appearances. That's not too shabby.

Holy fuck. Obi walked 94 times in 539 PA. That's top five in Double A last year.

BRB. Running reports. Eating doughnuts.

(PS, re Chase, I'm overloaded at 1B/DH throughout my system. He's a decent 2B, just need to get him some reppies.)

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Mules announced today the signing of pitcher Bailey Challen to a 3 year deal at 4M per, last year a TO. Happy to have Challen on the staff. He's a little expensive for a pure reliever, but he gives us a rotation option if we need it. Great desire to win and a strong work ethic. He'll help our young guys stay level when the heat turns up.