• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Wendell Gee's Moscow Mules

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Moscow-Kremlevskaya%20Naberezhnaja.jpg

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
player_9307.png

Rain

He came in on a charter bus with blacked out windows. The man didn't fly. No one knew how he arrived on the pitcher's mound every fifth day in Buenos Aires, or Buffalo, or Seoul. Some said he had a racing yacht in every port and a Lambo stashed away in seven cities. Some said it was a darker business. But he arrived in Moscow with the rain. No fans greeted him. He just showed up and put on the Moscow Mules uniform hanging in his locker, letting his fingers run across the stitching on the brim of his red cap. No media. No Soviet Russia jokes. Just a quick team meeting to go over the rotation.

Tripod, to his delight, went to closer. Gerard Martin to setup. Mezyan to setup. Mason dropped to #2. The manager finished his changes and pinned the paper to the door.

Hellman, Mason, Marrero, Heida, Sasaki. It was a rotation that could pitch its way into November, if need be.

They were all gone. Mason. Marrero. Heida. Sasaki. He had pitched his way through a procession of men wearing red stitching. Like Bing Liu, flashing through the Moscow sky, a meteor. The rotation had grown and strengthened around him. Around Nico. Not Brain. Nobody had called him Brain since rookie camp in Cairo.

He grinned. Seven years in Cairo. Four in Amsterdam. Seven in Moscow. He was a world traveller. A veteran. A far cry from that kid growing up in the sticks of Damendorf, playing plastic ball all night in the rain just to see how its rotation changed.

And now it was October again. Bright and cold in the Ballpark. An icy mist swirling around the left field lights. The Ballpark of Moscow had become home to him. So much so that, six years ago, he jokingly mentioned to the media that the guys had a nickname for this place. братство. Bratstvo. "Brotherhood."

And now they were about to officially rename it Bratstvo.

For him. His official retirement day. Nine All-Star titles. Two pitching titles. He shrugged. None of that really mattered.

What really mattered was that he finally had some good peanuts in his hand. Real peanuts. From Georgia. Not Georgia, USA, but Georgia. And a brat. From right here, Nico's Imports, Moscow, LLC. The best brats. And a six year exclusive license to sell them here, in Bratstvo.

Because brotherhood was fine.

But it weren't nothing without bratwurst.

Bratstvo.

He saluted the cameras and settled in. It was gonna be a good playoff game. Bish was on the mound, cold as steel. Colder than the Moscow nights. And his opponent --

Well, his opponent was good too. An old buddy, in fact. Nico waved to him, then turned the wave into the finger. Yeah, screw you buddy. We'll go fishing next month. But right now, we're going to beat your ass.

It was time to get the Mules into the big show.

P Nicodemas 'Brain' Hellmann

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
dASr03E.png

Best thing I ever did was stop worrying and learn to love the bomb. Our first regular season 1st place and one win shy of the big banana dance. We met all our owner's goals except the stretch goal of reaching the WS.

I almost did not do a thing to this team all season. No pitch counts, and only one rework of our minor leagues. My only regret is not starting Jose Rivas in NLCS Game 7, but I figured Twinkles was due for a win.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
87IS0OH.png

And speaking of work... look at dese guys. Dani Gonzales with a breakout year, Ronald Riggs from outta nowhere. Shoulda got Anderton into a few more games.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
who needs me to send a tweet that will never get a response?

Saw Brian Jordan playing some OOTP-like game the other night while i was flipping channels.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
So this is interesting. Despite rocking a 76-49 record, Belgorod is 22 games out of the division lead.

Why?

BCDChFG.png

Because Lisbon's Single A affiliate Toledo is romping through the league.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Moscow affiliates Khatukay and Novaya Maka won their respective divisions. Khatukay is tied 2-2 in the AAA championship series while Novaya won the AA championship with a three game sweep. Single A Belgorod finished 2nd in its division so didn't make the playoffs.

8MYszPL.png

3vPQ1ek.png

pSuzRQq.png

I don't particularly plan towards minor league success. I move players up or out several times a season, and let the AI set lineups and pitching, for the most part. I do enjoy seeing these guys make the playoffs though.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
You had great success this season and I'd definitely say you had the #1 minor league system by far. I like following the minors because I honestly planned on that being my learning ground for game mechanics because I assumed the riggers would be really bad until 2052 or so.

I had a huge lead in AAA early in the season (Turkey Mountain) when we started 21-4 in April, but as injuries mounted I had to start calling up more and more players and the depth of that team really suffered and I didn't have anyone to really replace infielders without messing with development. I'm actually kind of surprised they ended up finishign second because they looked more like a barely over .500 type team for much of the summer when injuries to my WBL team were highest. Then I was also playing a fair few guys out of position to get them versatility as well. I like watching the minors win, but development comes #1.

Last edited:

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
You had great success this season and I'd definitely say you had the #1 minor league system by far. ...... I like watching the minors win, but development comes #1.
Development comes first indeed. I don't know why we did so well in wins this year up and down the farm, as I'm certainly not loaded in the minors. But definitely a fun ride this season.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Hand it to these guys. Look at the injuries they endured, and still clinching a playoff berth. The bullpen, bottom right corner - after Chaves, every one of those guys was in Triple A last year and most of them started this year in Triple A.

Good to see Pei Wei break 100 RBI this season. :) Aw yeah, .319 average, 34 homers, 101 RBI.

Really proud of this year's Mules.

oOBzN4o.png

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I'm happy to see Pei Wei play well. He was definitely the prize in that trade. He has had a great career in general and even better for a catcher.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
It's still one of my favorite trades. I think it was a good move for both of us.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Yeah it was. In addition to Pei Wei I turned the draft picks for all kinds of pitching - Nico, for one.

But it took me at least five seasons to repair the hole Padilla left in my infield. Legend.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
He was never as good for me as he was for you but I was happy with the move.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
The sad part was he got injured at the end of his best season in Borg the year we won the ship. I think he came back in time for the ship though, so at least he got his ring.

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
Wasn't that the payback year? We knocked Helga out of the playoffs in Padilla's first year there, then you returned the favor. Am I remembering that right?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Wasn't that the payback year? We knocked Helga out of the playoffs in Padilla's first year there, then you returned the favor. Am I remembering that right?
Nah. 2047 was our ship year and Juan's last full year in Borg.