• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 3 Presented By MAC Refs

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
You'll are really convinced. Somewhere under that Urban Meyer psychopath out for blood offense is still a little bit of that Tressel ball shit, I am sure.

coogrfan

sigh.jpg

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I would have been really upset if Houston had lost this game, although in the long run I guess it wouldn't matter because OU is going to lose at least 2 more this season.

Lightningwar

Administrator
tOSU is gonna get all up in OU's ass.

Going to the Iowa-NDSU game, will play some early mroing Drinko and eat about 10,000 calories before kickoff. @Lightningwar how do they look without Wentz? All my Iowa friends are pretty pissed about this game- no one knows why it was even scheduled. It's a lose-lose situation, NDSU could easily win, but "they're just FCS" so beating them doesn't count for much.

Hard to say really. They have played the #5 and #8 team in FCS to start the year. Both games went to OT for the Bison to win. They are playing an insane schedule right now. Iowa is one of their best options to beat a top 15 ranked FBS team imo. Not explosive, runs a conservative offense. But not sure if NDSU can go 60 mins with Iowa. They can beat probably half the B1G. But Iowa is probably 3rd or 4th in the conference behind Michigan, tOSU, and maybe sconny.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm actually somewhat nervous about the CU - Michigan game this weekend. Michigan's defense showed some weaknesses last week in defending UCF's shitty spread, and I think CU might be able to take advantage of that. I'm also not 100% convinced by Michigan's offense. Their run game was atrocious last week against UCF. Speight had a really good game to make up for that, but he's hasn't played a game against a real team yet.

That said, Michigan had no problem with spread-to-pass (spread-to-run was an entirely different story) teams last year, so they should be able to draw on that template against CU. And, realistically, CU is about as talented as Rutgers, so it should be straightforward. But I am a little nervous for it. Probably also because Michigan has a legitimate shot to get to the playoff, so every game matters in a way it hasn't in the past, oh, decade.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Hard to say really. They have played the #5 and #8 team in FCS to start the year. Both games went to OT for the Bison to win. They are playing an insane schedule right now. Iowa is one of their best options to beat a top 15 ranked FBS team imo. Not explosive, runs a conservative offense. But not sure if NDSU can go 60 mins with Iowa. They can beat probably half the B1G. But Iowa is probably 3rd or 4th in the conference behind Michigan, tOSU, and maybe sconny.

Iowa's run game looks good until AIRBHG strikes again ( @DHawkeye )

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I'm actually somewhat nervous about the CU - Michigan game this weekend. Michigan's defense showed some weaknesses last week in defending UCF's shitty spread, and I think CU might be able to take advantage of that. I'm also not 100% convinced by Michigan's offense. Their run game was atrocious last week against UCF. Speight had a really good game to make up for that, but he's hasn't played a game against a real team yet.

That said, Michigan had no problem with spread-to-pass (spread-to-run was an entirely different story) teams last year, so they should be able to draw on that template against CU. And, realistically, CU is about as talented as Rutgers, so it should be straightforward. But I am a little nervous for it. Probably also because Michigan has a legitimate shot to get to the playoff, so every game matters in a way it hasn't in the past, oh, decade.

What spread to pass teams did Michigan play last year?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Closest offense to Colorado's in talent and scheme is Indiana and they put up 527 yards and 41 points.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Meh. Michigan played 5 teams that were 100th or worse in passing yards per game last year and 10 that were 77th or worse. The teams they played averaged 209.2 passing yards per game and were some of the worst passing offenses (and offenses in general) in the country last year. They played 1 team that was in the top 48 in total offense last year and again, that team put up 527 and 41. Doubt CU wins but I think they'll put up yards/points.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Yeah, and I'm sure Michigan had nothing to do with those numbers at all.

The real issues are that Jourdan Lewis might be out for the game, which makes it harder to match up with 3 and 4 WR sets. Plus, Peppers, who erased all sorts of WR screens last year, was deployed in the box instead of on the edge in screen situations against UCF. Michigan absolutely had an elite passing defense last year because they could put 6 good defensive backs on the field while not really losing much pass rush. If Peppers stays in the box and Lewis doesn't play, that goes down to 4 good defensive backs, which is not ideal against Colorado. This is somewhat simplistic, but if you can stop Colorado's screen game, Michigan probably gives up less than 10 points. Their DL should dominate Colorado's OL, and Colorado moves the ball the best with that screen game. Take that away, and Michigan should have little problem stopping them consistently.

I'm actually more worried about Michigan's offense. Those issues with the defense are largely fixable with scheme. But the offense struggled to run the ball against UCF, because UCF just stacked the box with 8+ players every play. They still got torched in the air because they're UCF, but CU's secondary is ... maybe above average? This is Speight's first real game. Can he bomb the CU defense like he did UCF (by the way, by recruiting rankings, the talent at these two schools is similar)? It's definitely more of an interesting game than I thought even a month ago.

CJ_24

How many teams in the BIG had a competent passing offense last season? (I honestly don't know.)

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Competent? Maybe 6? Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, Wisconsin, and maybe Nebraska or Penn State? The rest were pretty awful. I mean, it says all you need to know that CJ Beathard was the top returning QB by passer rating this year.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
leach_pokemon.0_zpsvw9trbpw.gif

You think 1 game out of a 12-13 game season prevented such dynamic, high powered passing attacks like Utah, Oregon State, Maryland, Northwestern, and Florida from throwing for 400 yards a game? jlawokay.gif

I'm not saying Michigan doesn't have a great defense, they were first in passing efficiency defense last year. But acting like they've been playing prolific passing teams and shutting down spread to pass teams left and right is just wrong. If Colorado is any good this season, they'll move the ball tomorrow. Or Michigan's defense is even better than last year.

Ohio State threw for 188 yards a game because they were too busy letting Trogdale run an offense Les Miles would be proud of. I wouldn't count them as compentent. Penn State wasn't either. 74th in passing yards per game and 78th in efficiency.