• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

Iron

If Arkansas had scheduled anyone at all OOC the last two years, he would have maybe 5 wins total so far. But I mean in two years at Arkansas he does have 14 quality losses.

Take away the FCS wins, Bret is 7-15 at Arky. Take away the Sun Belt, and he's 5-15.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Most SEC media sources including an Arkansas writer are saying Bielema is not coming to Nebraska, their source actually being Bret Bielema.

That fat fuck better turn his location on for his tweets so we know for sure though. He says he's in Indianapolis but if he's really tweeting from a cornfield in Nebraska I'm going to lose my shit.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
John L. Smith managed to completely dismantle the program in less than a full season?

I can write off a subpar year to transition woes, but he went 0-fer his first fourteen conference games.

As for how he did at Wisconsin, he was really just executing on the Barry Alvarez blueprint. I mean, he certainly had success there, but he wasn't rebuilding anything. Alvarez went 10-3 and 9-3 in the two seasons before he took over.

Nobody in Madison seemed all that busted up by his departure. And Gary Andersen has picked right up where he left off.

I also wonder how much of his offensive success was really due to Paul Chryst and Bob Bostad. Two guys that aren't with him now.

I don't know a ton about Arkansas, but from what I understand, Petrino left the cupboard somewhat bare (they probably would have struggled with Petrino, too), and I know John L. Smith made it worse. Plus, they had an entirely new system to learn.

I would agree with you on Alvarez, but most of Beilema's success came 3 years after Alvarez was gone. Those years were also better than any of the years under Alvarez.

Sure, jury is out if he can completely rebuild a program to compete in the brutal SEC West, but as far as the coaching names out there, he's a home run hire for anybody. Best resume of anyone who's been mentioned seriously, and it's not close.

If Arkansas had scheduled anyone at all OOC the last two years, he would have maybe 5 wins total so far. But I mean in two years at Arkansas he does have 14 quality losses.

Take away the FCS wins, Bret is 7-15 at Arky. Take away the Sun Belt, and he's 5-15.

He hasn't just had a rough transition, he has COMPLETELY SUCKED.

I think it is hilarious his name is even being discussed for other jobs. I find it more likely that he will be coaching a MAC or Sunbelt team in four years than at Nebraska (or Arkansas).

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I just want Dan Mullen why is this so hard. You call him up and say "hey Dan, I have $4.5M a year with your name on it and you don't have to live in Starkville fucking Mississippi, listen to cowbells or play Alabama every year, should I send a plane? Okay cool see you in an hour and a half."

I don't know a ton about Arkansas, but from what I understand, Petrino left the cupboard somewhat bare (they probably would have struggled with Petrino, too), and I know John L. Smith made it worse. Plus, they had an entirely new system to learn.

I would agree with you on Alvarez, but most of Beilema's success came 3 years after Alvarez was gone. Those years were also better than any of the years under Alvarez.

Sure, jury is out if he can completely rebuild a program to compete in the brutal SEC West, but as far as the coaching names out there, he's a home run hire for anybody. Best resume of anyone who's been mentioned seriously, and it's not close.

His best year (12-1 finish, AP #7 in the post-season poll, and a Bowl game win) was his first year. The year after Alvarez went 10-3.

Going to Rose Bowls is great, but winning them would be nice once in a while.

Is Lincoln really an improvement over Starkville? Maybe marginally, but Lincoln has a real winter, so it's a tie in my mind.

Did you somehow overlook the part where Starkville is in fucking Mississippi?

And has basically no history of success whatsoever, outside of a couple of okay seasons under cheatin' ass Jackie Sherrill.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Is Lincoln really an improvement over Starkville? Maybe marginally, but Lincoln has a real winter, so it's a tie in my mind.

Oh absolutely it is. Mullen is from the north, he can handle winter. I'd rather have winter than Starkville summers that's for sure.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
In other news, apparently Colorado State told Florida to fuck off when Florida suggested a lower buyout for McElwain.

As they should. Pay the $7.5M or move right the fuck on to someone else you can afford.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
His best year (12-1 finish, AP #7 in the post-season poll, and a Bowl game win) was his first year. The year after Alvarez went 10-3.

Going to Rose Bowls is great, but winning them would be nice once in a while.

Please. His best teams were 2010 and 2011. Both times, he lost the Rose Bowl by one score. In 2011, they were 2 plays away from going to the national title game. That 2006 team played nobody, and got demolished by the only good team they played in conference (Michigan - and yes, that game was a demolishing). Unless you think a win in a meaningless bowl game like the Cap 1 Bowl is a big team, there's no way that 2006 team was his best team or his best year.

Christ, I can't believe there are people who think Bielema is not worth Nebraska hiring. He is definitely better than Pelini. Is his resume a little overstated? Sure - he flourished when Ohio State went down to tattoo-gate, and his 2011 team would have been in the national title game if not for some epic derps on hail marys. But thinking a coach like him is bad after two bad seasons in one of the most brutal divisions in college football is idiotic.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
#Karma has really improved Arkansas during his time. I'm not even kidding. That program was complete trash when he took it over. He would absolutely not be a bad hire by Nebraska.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Having lived in both Chicago and Texas...NO.

I too have lived in both Chicago and Texas, I would prefer Texas weather of the two but Nebraska does not have nearly as severe weather as Chicago. Chicago summers are hell on earth and Chicago winters are basically like living in Hoth.

Please. His best teams were 2010 and 2011. Both times, he lost the Rose Bowl by one score. In 2011, they were 2 plays away from going to the national title game. That 2006 team played nobody, and got demolished by the only good team they played in conference (Michigan - and yes, that game was a demolishing). Unless you think a win in a meaningless bowl game like the Cap 1 Bowl is a big team, there's no way that 2006 team was his best team or his best year.

Christ, I can't believe there are people who think Bielema is not worth Nebraska hiring. He is definitely better than Pelini. Is his resume a little overstated? Sure - he flourished when Ohio State went down to tattoo-gate, and his 2011 team would have been in the national title game if not for some epic derps on hail marys. But thinking a coach like him is bad after two bad seasons in one of the most brutal divisions in college football is idiotic.

Idiotic huh?

The 2006 team had the best record and best poll finish. The Sagarin ratings for 2006, 2010 and 2011 were all about the same. :dunno:

The guy before him rebuilt the program. The guy after him is doing just as well. He managed to get to two Rose Bowls courtesy of Ohio State probation, Michigan's defensive woes (2010) and a guy named Russell Wilson dropping into his lap (2011).

He has a 2-14 conference record after two seasons.

If that is the resume of a coach you consider a "no brainer", I hope for your sake that you are absolutely stupefied by whomever Michigan hires.

I too have lived in both Chicago and Texas, I would prefer Texas weather of the two but Nebraska does not have nearly as severe weather as Chicago. Chicago summers are hell on earth and Chicago winters are basically like living in Hoth.

People say this, but it just isn't true.

The summers aren't that hot, nor that humid. The problem is that so many homes and buildings in Chicago don't have AC.

#Karma has really improved Arkansas during his time. I'm not even kidding. That program was complete trash when he took it over. He would absolutely not be a bad hire by Nebraska.

Are you implying that Bobby Petrino might not have paid much attention to what players did off the field?

I just won't hear of it.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Idiotic huh?

The 2006 team had the best record and best poll finish. The Sagarin ratings for 2006, 2010 and 2011 were all about the same. :dunno:

The guy before him rebuilt the program. The guy after him is doing just as well. He managed to get to two Rose Bowls courtesy of Ohio State probation, Michigan's defensive woes (2010) and a guy named Russell Wilson dropping into his lap (2011).

He has a 2-14 conference record after two seasons.

If that is the resume of a coach you consider a "no brainer", I hope for your sake that you are absolutely stupefied by whomever Michigan hires.

Oh, Sagarin ratings! I must be wrong then! :thumbsup:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
People say this, but it just isn't true.

The summers aren't that hot, nor that humid. The problem is that so many homes and buildings in Chicago don't have AC.

I lived in Chicago during a couple different heatwaves including the 1995 heatwave that killed like 700 people. Obviously lack of AC in inner city and the power failures were a big cause of that, but it can get brutally hot in Chicago. Nothing compares to the heat of a southeast summer though. I lived in Auburn, Alabama for a few years and that heat is just shitty.

Then again, maybe I got soft from my time up north.

I lived in Chicago during a couple different heatwaves including the 1995 heatwave that killed like 700 people. Obviously lack of AC in inner city and the power failures were a big cause of that, but it can get brutally hot in Chicago. Nothing compares to the heat of a southeast summer though. I lived in Auburn, Alabama for a few years and that heat is just shitty.

Then again, maybe I got soft from my time up north.

I liked the weather in Texas. Sure, it is hot, but that beats frigid.

I played golf on the hottest day on record (at the time) in Houston. It was a poor decision and not an enjoyable round, but I did it. When it was really cold (not record breaking) in Chicago I couldn't even take to dog around the block, despite bundling up like an extra in Fargo.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I didn't even bring them up until you discounted the team with the better record and poll finish.

Look at the fucking schedules, for christ's sake. 2006 Wisconsin played nobody. It was a good team, but its record was that good entirely because it played nobody. Multiple 2 loss and 1 loss teams were ranked ahead of them at the end of the year. HMMM.

mcnoles

B39Lnt8IQAEYAgU.jpg

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I liked the weather in Texas. Sure, it is hot, but that beats frigid.

I played golf on the hottest day on record (at the time) in Houston. It was a poor decision and not an enjoyable round, but I did it. When it was really cold (not record breaking) in Chicago I couldn't even take to dog around the block, despite bundling up like an extra in Fargo.

Houston weather is pretty shitty. I lived in Austin which I would say is very mild, for Texas anyway. I would take almost any weather over a Chicago winter though.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Is Florida really going to get hung up on the $7.5M buyout? They knew he had it going in, did they really go in assuming Colorado State would just give up and take less? Just pay the money and charge $10 more per season ticket for a few seasons to help offset it a little bit.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Is Florida really going to get hung up on the $7.5M buyout? They knew he had it going in, did they really go in assuming Colorado State would just give up and take less? Just pay the money and charge $10 more per season ticket for a few seasons to help offset it a little bit.
Probably not. The cash is not the issue. They might try to lower it with the incentive of scheduling future games doe.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

I read an article that said during the negotiations of that contract, CSU's president agreed to lower the buyout if a dream job came to McElwain. So there might be a case there... but it would be dumb to get hung up on that. I don't think that's a case you're going to win, considering if you have to file a law suit, it would likely be in Colorado.

I'm honestly not sure any coach is worth a $7.5 million buy out. I'm sure McElwain isn't worth it.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Probably not. The cash is not the issue. They might try to lower it with the incentive of scheduling future games doe.

Yeah, just schedule a home and home or something. CSU can come to Gainesville in a few years, Florida can go play in Fort Collins or Denver or something the next year. If this is Foley's top guy, just write the check and call it a deal. If it is successful, the money was well spent. If McElwain flames out, he and Foley will both be gone and it'll be someone else's problem.

mcnoles

Yeah, just schedule a home and home or something. CSU can come to Gainesville in a few years, Florida can go play in Fort Collins or Denver or something the next year. If this is Foley's top guy, just write the check and call it a deal. If it is successful, the money was well spent. If McElwain flames out, he and Foley will both be gone and it'll be someone else's problem.
LOL.:laughing:

I read an article that said during the negotiations of that contract, CSU's president agreed to lower the buyout if a dream job came to McElwain. So there might be a case there... but it would be dumb to get hung up on that. I don't think that's a case you're going to win, considering if you have to file a law suit, it would likely be in Colorado.

I'm honestly not sure any coach is worth a $7.5 million buy out. I'm sure McElwain isn't worth it.
Good thing they didn't hire Todd Graham.