• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
So how long before you'll figure out that I'm trolling Brick? I know bdub thought I was serious.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
B35xuLcCAAIFimQ.jpg:large

Maybe he can negotiate some venetian blinds or a set of drapes into his Florida contract.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Alright, I'm back from my Hamilton event. Was obviously a cluster fuck because everyone who was anyone associated with "INSIDE SOURCES" weren't there, because they had to be more important places to be or some shit. As such, the important boosters were restless because you know they only came to try to get the inside scoop, and only the ragtag group of non-insiders shows up. This dinner deal normally goes until 10pm but this time it was fucking cleared out by 8pm.

Anyway, thought I'd share my very favorite Hamilton move that I do now.... I like to wear the blazer over a more casual shirt (no tie) look with jeans. In a crowd of people in ill-fitting suits from the 1980s, I shine. Plus I'm acting like Hamiltion, very gregarious and confident and fabulous. If I spot anyone else wearing a similar ensemble, I go up and introduce myself and carry on a conversation filled with garish laughter (the whole time I do this I feel like I'm having an out of body experience, btw). Then as the conversation winds down I shake his hand while reaching across and grabbing his shoulder to really show how much I value them. This is far more brotherly and intense than any normal handshake. Then with steady eye contact and a deadpan facial expression I say "It was so nice to meet you, old sport." Then I watch his face as he tries to figure out if I'm serious or fucking with him.

Do you do the Jay Gatsby old sport or the old man's long awkward pause after saying something and then yelling OLLLD SPORRRRT at the person?

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-nebraska-seems-locked/

Most of the talk yesterday in the coaching profession centered around Florida, Michigan, UAB and recruiting.

Last night I began to reach out to some connections in the profession about where Nebraska looks for their next head coach. I reached out to a number of sources who I felt might be involved themselves or would likely have heard who has a real shot.

Since last night I have spoken with a number of connections and the feeling in the profession is that Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst seems to have a very short list – perhaps with only one name on it. Sources have told me he isn’t taking calls from coaches trying to get themselves involved. He doesn’t appear to be building a list. He sounds like he is locked in.

This one sounds like it is coming and it is coming soon. As always, we’ll keep you posted as things happen on The Scoop.

Please let that list be filled with coaches I'm actually interested in.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
According to "sources", Bret Bielema is the top choice for Nebraska.

I don't believe it for a second though, I think Bret Bielema wants a raise.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Bielema would be a great choice for Nebraska. But doesn't he have an 8 figure buyout?

I think that is only if he is fired, his buyout for leaving is only in the $2-3M range. Which, combined with a likely salary of $3.5-4M seems like a high price to pay for an eh coach. I think he'd be a good fit, just wouldn't have had him on my list. Better than Tressel though.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think that is only if he is fired, his buyout for leaving is only in the $2-3M range. Which, combined with a likely salary of $3.5-4M seems like a high price to pay for an eh coach. I think he'd be a good fit, just wouldn't have had him on my list. Better than Tressel though.

An eh coach? Who exactly are you expecting to hire here, Knute Rockne? The guy won 3 straight Big Ten titles with Wisconsin, went to 3 Rose Bowls, and had 4 season of 10+ wins. He did this at Wisconsin, which has similar recruiting challenges to Nebraska in my eyes. He has an ethos that would fit in well with Nebraska. I know you like Mullen, but I'd take Beilema in a second over Mullen. Hell, even Harbaugh didn't have a single conference championship at Furd.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
An eh coach? Who exactly are you expecting to hire here, Knute Rockne? The guy won 3 straight Big Ten titles with Wisconsin, went to 3 Rose Bowls, and had 4 season of 10+ wins. He did this at Wisconsin, which has similar recruiting challenges to Nebraska in my eyes. He has an ethos that would fit in well with Nebraska. I know you like Mullen, but I'd take Beilema in a second over Mullen. Hell, even Harbaugh didn't have a single conference championship at Furd.

He's a good coach, I think he'd do well here, but I also think it will take longer for him to find that success. Nebraska does not have the personnel to run the type of things Bielema runs. It would be a drastic switch to go to the under center power pro-style run game Bielema favors. We don't have the talent at tight end or the depth at fullback. More importantly, we do not have the quarterback to play in that offense. Tommy Armstrong cannot pass, he's a disaster throwing the ball. Johnny Stanton would fit in wonderfully, but he has exactly zero college snaps.

That isn't to say Bret couldn't coach em up, it is a very young team so he could mold them into what he needs, but I think there would be a pretty big culture shock and I'm not sure Nebraska fans are wanting to see something torn down to build it back up. There are quicker ways to success than that.

I wouldn't be sad if Bielema were hired though.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
He's a good coach, I think he'd do well here, but I also think it will take longer for him to find that success. Nebraska does not have the personnel to run the type of things Bielema runs. It would be a drastic switch to go to the under center power pro-style run game Bielema favors. We don't have the talent at tight end or the depth at fullback. More importantly, we do not have the quarterback to play in that offense. Tommy Armstrong cannot pass, he's a disaster throwing the ball. Johnny Stanton would fit in wonderfully, but he has exactly zero college snaps.

That isn't to say Bret couldn't coach em up, it is a very young team so he could mold them into what he needs, but I think there would be a pretty big culture shock and I'm not sure Nebraska fans are wanting to see something torn down to build it back up. There are quicker ways to success than that.

I wouldn't be sad if Bielema were hired though.

Ah, okay. I think he'd get things turned around pretty quickly, because it's the Big Ten. Probably would be a year or so though.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Ah, okay. I think he'd get things turned around pretty quickly, because it's the Big Ten. Probably would be a year or so though.

True, Nebraska doesn't have to start playing the major Big Ten East programs for a few years so whoever the next coach is will have quite the easy road. Nebraska has the talent on roster, especially on defense, to win immediately under the next coach. Ideally that coach would bring in a system on both sides of the ball that isn't a drastic philosophy switch, but even if it was, we aren't far off from competing for Big Ten titles.

As long as it isn't a complete and total shift, like to a flexbone triple option or a spread it and sling it offense, we should be fine. Not sure Bielema is the splash hire that would energize and unite the fanbase, but if it is him or Tressel, I'll let Bielema stay in my guest room.

Brick

another corch whose success was largely because of his coordinator. paul chryst ain't walking through that door.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
So Bret Bielema is either staying at Arkansas or he is the greatest troll of our generation and should be hailed as a hero.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
another corch whose success was largely because of his coordinator. paul chryst ain't walking through that door.

Except Chryst has been trash at Pitt. And it's much easier to find a competent OC than a competent head corch. I'd have faith he'd find a decent OC. It's not like he's going to bring in Al freaking Borges. Plus, he might get a chance to get Chryst back soon enough.

Three words: John L. Smith.

Also :laughing: Come on, two years at the beginning of a job negates 7 years at Wisconsin?

John L. Smith managed to completely dismantle the program in less than a full season?

I can write off a subpar year to transition woes, but he went 0-fer his first fourteen conference games.

As for how he did at Wisconsin, he was really just executing on the Barry Alvarez blueprint. I mean, he certainly had success there, but he wasn't rebuilding anything. Alvarez went 10-3 and 9-3 in the two seasons before he took over.

Nobody in Madison seemed all that busted up by his departure. And Gary Andersen has picked right up where he left off.

I also wonder how much of his offensive success was really due to Paul Chryst and Bob Bostad. Two guys that aren't with him now.