• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Michigan's athletic department is just messed up. They'll fire him this week. It would be insane to not fire him - the stadium would be half empty next year because nobody would renew their season tickets. And there is no longer a waiting list for season tickets.

DHawkeye

only mostly dead
Maybe an embarrassing bowl loss would help move things along. It was a very pitch forks and torches mood in the commuter lot Friday after they blew yhat lead. Kirk has absolutely lost the fan base.

Couldn't hurt. But I honestly think ticket sales would have to take a huge dive next year for the gears to really get going. Iowa football pays for all the other sports combined (twice over, probably), so if the university's wallet starts to feel a little light, that might give pause to some people important enough to matter.

And boy do I hate having this all be about money, rather than what's best for the program, but as Ferentz so aptly put it in his post-game presser on Friday, "that's football." :sad:

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Imo, people read too much into the NIU thing. The MAC has come a long way, but Northwestern(ans Illinois) should not worry about NIU. It's much easier academically to get athletes into NIU. Much harder with NW and Illinois. I would say it's a fair amount easier to win at NIU than Illinois/NW. The only thing holding you back is your market/size of your school. If you want a kid, you can most likely land him, and not have Zook classes happen where all your recruited 4/5 star athletes wash out into Junior colleges.

Most FBS wins since 2010: NIU 55, Oregon 55, Alabama 53, Florida State 53, Stanford 51

Maybe NIU doesn't have the requirements the BIG schools have, but NIU is on their 2nd coach during this run and keeps playing for championships. Yet Illinois is celebrating a great 6 win season which includes wins over Youngstown State, Western Kentucky and Texas State.

If you want to take out NIU fine, why can't Illinois be Wisconsin? I mean 1 conference title in the last 25 years?

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Most FBS wins since 2010: NIU 55, Oregon 55, Alabama 53, Florida State 53, Stanford 51

Maybe NIU doesn't have the requirements the BIG schools have, but NIU is on their 2nd coach during this run and keeps playing for championships. Yet Illinois is celebrating a great 6 win season which includes wins over Youngstown State, Western Kentucky and Texas State.

If you want to take out NIU fine, why can't Illinois be Wisconsin? I mean 1 conference title in the last 25 years?
They could be NIU if they went to the Mac.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Looks like McElwain is the leading candidate at Florida. Good for them if they can swing it financially.

Also looks like UW-Whitewater's HC is the new HC at Buffalo. 101-6 at UWW, which is quite frankly an insane number no matter what level. Leipold coached at Nebraska a few years, thought he could be a very under the radar option at Nebraska since our AD was the AD there as well.

Iron

I guess Rivals is throwing Jim Tressel's name into the Nebraska HC rumor mill. Tressel turns 63 in like a week BTW.

MtneerManiac

Burning Couches
Looks like McElwain is the leading candidate at Florida. Good for them if they can swing it financially.

Also looks like UW-Whitewater's HC is the new HC at Buffalo. 101-6 at UWW, which is quite frankly an insane number no matter what level. Leipold coached at Nebraska a few years, thought he could be a very under the radar option at Nebraska since our AD was the AD there as well.

yuuusssss

yuusssssss

stay away from the dickrod

200_s.gif

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I guess Rivals is throwing Jim Tressel's name into the Nebraska HC rumor mill. Tressel turns 63 in like a week BTW.

A lot of Nebraska fans are begging for Tressel. I would riot and burn this entire state to the ground if he even came near campus.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Look beyond the past decade...If you look at history, then Ohio State, Nebraska and Michigan are a practically a wash as far as tradition and prestige goes. The only thing you're right about is there are major disadvantages to recruiting in Nebraska. I certainly don't see it as a "huge difference", especially with where Ohio State was pre-Tressel. Bill Callahan (for all his shittiness) proved that you can recruit talent to Nebraska. I don't think Florida has it as easy as you think it does, either. It's fertile recruiting ground for sure, but they have a lot of competition. Nebraska has deep pockets and fan support that can match any of the major programs out there.

There is no reason to think Nebraska should not be competing for the B1G championship almost every year. They should not be struggling to beat Minnesota and Iowa and they should not be getting obliterated by Wisconsin every fucking year. I'm not really worried about what Michigan fans think...most of the national media saw this coming a mile away after the Wisconsin loss.

I mean, coaches like Earle Bruce, John Cooper, Gary Moeller, Lloyd Carr all won (multiple) titles at Michigan/Ohio State. None of those are on the level of Osbourne, Woody, Bo, etc., but they still won conference titles. Outside of Devaney and Osbourne, how many conference titles does Nebraska have? They need a coach like Devaney and Osbourne to win - that's what separates them from the truly elite programs. Hell, even Osbourne was Oklahoma's bitch until the 90s.

The question in my mind is - is someone like Osbourne or Devaney out there? That's what Nebraska needs.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Wilson just needs the pieces to semi come together for one fucking year at IU. They've been close to a bowl.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I mean, coaches like Earle Bruce, John Cooper, Gary Moeller, Lloyd Carr all won (multiple) titles at Michigan/Ohio State. None of those are on the level of Osbourne, Woody, Bo, etc., but they still won conference titles. Outside of Devaney and Osbourne, how many conference titles does Nebraska have? They need a coach like Devaney and Osbourne to win - that's what separates them from the truly elite programs. Hell, even Osbourne was Oklahoma's bitch until the 90s.

The question in my mind is - is someone like Osbourne or Devaney out there? That's what Nebraska needs.

Yes, that coach is out there.

mikeleach2.jpg

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
If Wilson gets enough time, I think he could bring Indiana to the level of a Northwestern. Consistent bowl team, occasional contender. Which would be great for Indiana. But it sounds like he'll only get next year. That team could have finished third in their division had they not lost their QB. Not really saying much, but Indiana can be a scary team with that offense.

bighuskermav

Mod Alumni
there was a story posted on the main board about pelini finding out the irl information of a fan who was being a dick on the nebraska rivals site, and then offering to meet the guy in person at the teams hotel for the texas game in 2010, only to be there with his brother and his trooper to threaten and curse the guy out :laughing:

What the fuck? I have never heard of this....are you sure that was Pelini and not something from FauxPelini's twitter account? The dude is crazy, but I can't see him doing that without it being a national shitstorm.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Current leaders in clubhouse for Nebraska job:
From my local...... Jim Tressel - Unemployed -120 Scott Frost - Oregon OC +200 Jim McElwain - Colorado State HC +300 Mark Richt - Georgia HC +400 Joe Moglia - Coastal Carolina HC +500 Craig Bohl - Wyoming HC +600 Gary Patterson - TCU HC +700 Pat Narduzzi - Mich State DC +800 Justin Fuente - Memphis HC +900 Jerry Kill - Minnesota HC +1000 Ed Orgeron - Unemployed +1000 Tom Herman - Ohio State OC +1000 Kirby Smart - Alabama DC +1000 Mike Norvell - Arizona State OC +1000 Rhett Lashlee - Auburn OC +1000 Matt Wells - Utah State HC +1000 Bret Bielema - Ark HC +1000 Greg Schiano - Unemployed +1500 Jim Harbaugh - 49ers HC +1500 Bud Foster - Virginia Tech DC +1500 Jake Spavital - Texas A&M OC +1500 Bill Lazor - Miami Dolphins OC +1500 Todd Bowles - Arizona Cardinals DC +1500 Art Briles - Baylor HC +1500 David Cutcliffe - Duke HC +1500 Mack Brown - Unemployed +1500 Will Muschamp - Unemployed +2000 Mike Bobo - Georgia OC +2000 Jeremy Pruitt - Georgia DC +2000 Bob Sutton - Kansas City Chiefs DC +2000 Mel Tucker - Chicago Bears DC +2000 Kyle Whittingham - Utah HC +2000 Turner Gill - Liberty HC +2000 Pete Lembo - Ball State +2500 Jon Gruden - Unemployed +4000 Mike Shanahan - Unemployed +5000 Gus Malzahn - Auburn HC +5000 Justin Wilcox - USC DC +5000 B Callahan - Cowboys OC +10000

bighuskermav

Mod Alumni
We'll see.

Most neutrals would say you were more competitive with Pelini than you've been in 20 years, and now he's not good enough for the fans' comically over-inflated expectations.

Nebraska won 3 national championships within the last 20 years. Things didn't start turning south until 2001, so it's more like 13 years ago. The only coaches we've had since then were the final two years of Solich, 4 years of Callahan and Pelini. Solich was better than Pelini overall and Callahan was a turd sandwich. Pelini was a good coach, but he's not even the best coach we had since Osborne retired. If you think this is the most competitive Nebraska has been in 20 years, then you must have started watching college football in 2002 or so.

What the fuck are you smoking? Nebraska won 3 national championships within the last 20 years. Things didn't start turning south until 2001, so it's more like 13 years ago. The only coaches we've had since then were the final two years of Solich, 4 years of Callahan and Pelini. Solich was better than Pelini overall and Callahan was a turd sandwich. Pelini was a good coach, but he's not even the best coach we had since Osborne retired. If you think this is the most competitive Nebraska has been in 20 years, then you must have started watching college football in 2002 or so.

Yeah, Pavel is way off.

I think Pelini is an okay coach, but one that most of us really enjoy seeing lose simply because he is such a raging asshole. Nebraska can absolutely do better. And Nebraska is far from stuck in a hopeless cycle of mediocrity with a good head coach.

The Tressel stuff is funny. I also can't think of a single coach who is more similar to Tom Osborne, so I guess I get where it is coming from, but I think it is a really, really bad idea.

bighuskermav

Mod Alumni
A lot of Nebraska fans are begging for Tressel. I would riot and burn this entire state to the ground if he even came near campus.

Is he really that bad? I mean, tattoo-gate is nothing as far as the NCAA scandals that have come along since then. I think the "show cause" penalties make this hire very unlikely, but I don't think the guy is satan.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Tressel would be good, but he has a show cause until the end of 2016 (?). He basically can't be hired as a coach until 2017.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Is he really that bad? I mean, tattoo-gate is nothing as far as the NCAA scandals that have come along since then. I think the "show cause" penalties make this hire very unlikely, but I don't think the guy is satan.

Tressel would be good, but he has a show cause until the end of 2016 (?). He basically can't be hired as a coach until 2017.

Satan, no, but he's not someone we want near the program. It would be taking on a tremendous amount of risk because of the show-cause. Having to re-certify compliance biannually, be subject to investigations and oversight without any sort of probable cause, potentially be subject to the penalties originally levied on Ohio State if the NCAA felt like it. A lot of risk there.

Only 3 coaches in the history of college athletics have been hired during a show-cause penalty, none had their punishment overturned and all were within one athletic of the penalty expiring. The most recent was Bruce Pearl going to Auburn.

Way too much risk to the program. Not sure we want the NCAA sniffing around looking for a problem, we just got off probation to begin with. Not worth it.

mcnoles

Nebraska athletics director Shawn Eichorst fired head coach Bo Pelini on Sunday morning, and naturally wanted to get the word out to his players before they found out through another avenue. With the team scattered across the country over an off weekend and a matter of minutes before the news went national, Eichorst sent the Huskers players an email.
I’ll be honest here, I’m not sure what the right answer is here (maybe a team-wide voice mail?). It’s a tough situation all around. Perhaps But beginning an email with “Dear Football Student-Athlete” isn’t the best bedside manner, especially for a guy who has been criticized as being unapproachable

B3tNGM1CIAAZfZ2.jpg:large

Bo Pelini firing email

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
"Dear Football Student-Athlete" is fairly cringe-worthy.

Yeah he probably could have done without that, maybe just skip a Dear anything and just get right to it. Or something like, Dear Fellow Husker or just something. Not really worked up about it though, it is a tough situation since Nebraska was on Thanksgiving break. Not many other options and given how stuff spreads on social media, probably good to do something, even if it was a little brash.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Why are there all these rumors that DickRod would go to Florida? I would think he learned his lesson in going from a great situation to a great program.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Newest rumor is that Hugh Freeze has a $4.2M offer from Florida, and an offer matching it from Ole Miss to stay. I don't know if he is THAT good of a coach.

Bdub

It would be a good move to. He screwed up with Michigan because his offense wasn't a good fit and he still would have been successful had they given him half a chance.

Newest rumor is that Hugh Freeze has a $4.2M offer from Florida, and an offer matching it from Ole Miss to stay. I don't know if he is THAT good of a coach.

He is four years removed from being the OC on a losing Arkansas State team and five years removed from being the head coach at an NAIA school nobody has heard of. I don't know if he is that great of a coach either, but his career trajectory certainly is impressive.

Edit: Now that I look at it, I probably should have said five and six years, but that doesn't change the point any.

Renegade

Charge on!
He is four years removed from being the OC on a losing Arkansas State team and five years removed from being the head coach at an NAIA school nobody has heard of. I don't know if he is that great of a coach either, but his career trajectory certainly is impressive.

Edit: Now that I look at it, I probably should have said five and six years, but that doesn't change the point any.

Obviously he can come in and take talent and do a decent job with it. Question remains as to whether he can recruit and retain the same level for the long-term. There's a lot of guys who come in, win with the previous coach's players (probably because that coach had finished the rebuilding process and was ready to take a step forward when he was prematurely fired), and then don't do crap once their own players are in the system.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It would be a good move to. He screwed up with Michigan because his offense wasn't a good fit and he still would have been successful had they given him half a chance.

His offense was fine at Michigan. If he had been able to hire someone competent as a defensive coordinator, then he would have been fine at Michigan.

Obviously he can come in and take talent and do a decent job with it. Question remains as to whether he can recruit and retain the same level for the long-term. There's a lot of guys who come in, win with the previous coach's players (probably because that coach had finished the rebuilding process and was ready to take a step forward when he was prematurely fired), and then don't do crap once their own players are in the system.

cough, Brady Hoke, cough

Lightningwar

Administrator
Im starting to worry they may keep him for one more dreadful year. And you know what will happen right? He will managed to win 9-10 games and get an extension then proceed to suck ass.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Nah, there's no way Michigan would win more than 5 games under Hoke next year. Unless he somehow develops a QB in the next 6 months - something he hasn't shown he can do at all - Michigan under Hoke will be worse next year.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
There are 5 obvious losses on Michigan's schedule next year with Hoke as the coach, no chance they would win 9-10 games.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
There are 5 obvious losses on Michigan's schedule next year with Hoke as the coach, no chance they would win 9-10 games.

And the only obvious win is UNLV. Honestly, if Michigan had an offense next year like we saw against Minnesota, they'd be looking at a 1-11 season next year. Maybe 2-10 - it is the Big Ten after all.

Brick

you better fire him. they will have one of those seasons where every break goes their way. sly croom'd.

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
He has gotten worse every year, how do you not fire him? You just fired the guy who got better every year. What a fucking mess.

R2D2

I reel e think Michigan is just waiting for the 49ers season to end. It's already been rumored Harbaugh told everyone in the 49ers' organization he's not coming back next season. Michigan would be a great fit for him as well. Harbaugh vs. Meyer in the annual rivalry between Mich-tOSU? Fap.