• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

New League Discussion

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Stats only sounds amazingly exciting.

I’d be okay with this, but it will end in a lot of frustration I think (just like the MLB @radfordpear)

I like pick trading but that can also encourage tanking so I’m fine with either

NML

No trading draft picks, stats only (no ratings), and minors down to A- at least. All will improve trading of players.

I agree, but we also have never done any of these and trading wasn’t an issue

I’ve always been in favor of more minors, but others were strongly against it because people don’t maintain them

Pick trading has been a massive part of the league, for some it tends to be their only assets. Don’t think getting rid of them would be a positive

Soonerfan09

I’m fine with pick trading, but I definitely think more minors would lead to more trading assuming we can get others to buy in. It is a little more work, but you can always have your manager set lineups/rotation/bullpen, you just have to maintain numbers. I really like stats only, but if we did this, I think we would need to have scouts with unique ratings.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If difficulty and learning curve is a problem leading to quitting now, stats only will make it 10x worse as Tony and Travis rule the league with their up-all-night floodplain/BLOW ME AWAY calculations.

Soonerfan09

If difficulty and learning curve is a problem leading to quitting now, stats only will make it 10x worse as Tony and Travis rule the league with their up-all-night floodplain/BLOW ME AWAY calculations.
What? They can barely win with stats AND ratings.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yes, that's my point. If people are quitting because they are losing and they have ratings, having only stats to judge will make it even harder for them. Stats only raises the difficulty, it doesn't lower it

Soonerfan09

Yes, that's my point. If people are quitting because they are losing and they have ratings, having only stats to judge will make it even harder for them. Stats only raises the difficulty, it doesn't lower it
I think it actually makes the learning curve easier. There is a lot of ambiguity in the ratings and most new players don’t know what each on does. With ratings only, you’re just looking at results or reading a short scouting summary to make decisions.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I think it actually makes the learning curve easier. There is a lot of ambiguity in the ratings and most new players don’t know what each on does. With ratings only, you’re just looking at results or reading a short scouting summary to make decisions.
I disagree, it's not hard to understand what each rating does (literally a 5 minute at most write up), whereas understanding how batting average fluctuates from season to season, what BABIP does, how to factor in WrC+, All of the Fielding Ratings (probably the biggest issue since it varies so much) is a much highrt bar for people to understand. And then there's the problem of people playing guys at the wrong level and thinking "wow, this guy is hitting .350, I'll trade a 1st for him!" and in reality it was a 25 year old in A ball. That's the extreme, but not understanding development curves and how they change between minors levels will also hurt newer players.

NML

I don’t really see any positives to removing star ratings. If you don’t want to consider them, you don’t have to. Currently, they are just another piece of the puzzle to me to me.

I think you are making it harder on non baseball people who don’t have a full grasp on different stats

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I don’t really see any positives to removing star ratings. If you don’t want to consider them, you don’t have to. Currently, they are just another piece of the puzzle to me to me.

I think you are making it harder on non baseball people who don’t have a full grasp on different stats

I think you're missing the point. Considering the whole idea of revamping this league is to decrease the amount of players, 'stats only' would be the best thing to take this thing to the next level of exclusivity.

Reactions: NML

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don’t get this idea that trading is broken for @hayvis. Had you even tried to trade? A lot of the most prolific trade partners were still around.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
I'm cool with extended minors, though we should hard age cap A- to like, 22, in part for owner's safety in not keeping guys there too long

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
He tried for like a day and then we started a new league for him.
This is crazy accurate. I can’t take any of his posts seriously because it feels like the opinion was formed in one afternoon. He’s even claiming people like Travis and myself like to win without trading. Wtf :laughing:

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
This is crazy accurate. I can’t take any of his posts seriously because it feels like the option was formed in one afternoon. He’s even claiming people like Travis and myself like to win without trading. Wtf :laughing:

What the fuck would you know. I've been playing this game since before you were born. Get the fuck out of my new league.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Motion to extend minors to A- ball with an age cap of 23 (some draft picks come in at like 22).
I can see both sides of this, but I think most 22 year old college guys are at least A-ball ready (some are AA ready tbf, though not all of course) and it may harm the balance of A- as a primarily HS prospect + International prospect league. Open to debate on this though, I don't know for sure

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Just being devil's advocate, but y'all want it more complicated, which is FUCKING STUPID.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I don't think tanking is a big problem at all. I don't see anything wrong with not trying to win when you aren't trying to win

I never had a problem with people tanking by not tryign to win. I got frustrated with people who invented new and greater trog ways to actively try to lose.

NML

I never had a problem with people tanking by not tryign to win. I got frustrated with people who invented new and greater trog ways to actively try to lose.

Could implement penalties for trog fuckery to intentionally lose (position players pitching, etc)

ZackMills

Have mercy
fwiw @ZackMills and I both started with bottom budget teams and were DYNASTIES FOR DECKARADES within 2-3 seasons. Granted ZM has a ton of familiarity with baseball strategy, and I'm a spreadsheet aspie... but that's also who you are competing with.

Not playing catchers in CF and DHs in CF and catcher goes a long way too!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here are my non-troll suggestions to explore new opportunities

1. Freeze the current WBL in space and time at the HOG voting sim of 2080 so that the dedicated owners who are immersed can just pick back up if/when these fancy newcomers quit. I'm actually really immersed in the WBL again and even made a fucking draft list this year. Update all of the website history through 2079 and leave that babby as a snapshot in time.

2. Take 1 month to explore a fast forwarded version of the WBL on OOTP20, including new server/website. I think it will take a lot of work to provide IMMERSION that the history of the WBL gives a lot of us, but there are some people who are excited enough to work on this. Come up with some fan-fiction story why OTTO took over for 20 years. @Yankee151 fucking around with GAL finally came back to bite the WBL or something.

3. Make the SUPER SIM time an event that we can all watch at a 1year per day rate. Provide yearly updates with statistical leaders, etc. Make posts about big happenings! If ya'll newcomers show a lot of effort on this shit, I'll feel a lot more confident about moving forward. If ya'll fizzle and can't even come up with 20 days of effort then I'll be dissappaint.

4. Form a VETERANS COMMITTEE to decide the new rules. We're all throwing a lot of shit at the wall here, and someone gonna need to make a decision on which is good and which isn't. Entrance in this committee is granted to those who were active in the WBL for at least a decade at some point. Os are automatically admitted and Non O's can opt into the Veterans committee by contributing to a tutorial series for new players. The Veteran's committee will consider suggestions from all, and vote on new rules for the league. At the end of the 20 days, the Veteran's committee can also look at the results of the 20 year sim. If everything looks fucked up for some reason, they can also vote to just go back to the original WBL sim and implement some different rules that are designed to help new players.

5. When we get near the end of the 20 year sim, I think it would be cool to have LIVE DRAFTS for a few years so that you can start building attachments to your minor leagues, which I think is one of the hardest parts about taking over some random franchise. Why should I be excited about these BUMS if they aren't MY BUMS? If you aren't able to participate in a LIVE DRAFT, you could set a draft list or choose to let OTTO TAKE THE WHEEL. I think live drafts are something the league should do for all drafts going forward. Drafting should be the most exciting event there is, and I would volunteer to help run this and distribute draft tools.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
fwiw @ZackMills and I both started with bottom budget teams and were DYNASTIES FOR DECKARADES within 2-3 seasons. Granted ZM has a ton of familiarity with baseball strategy, and I'm a spreadsheet aspie... but that's also who you are competing with.

Popularity always comes at the cost of dumbing it down for the dumbest fuck (me in this case). Just look at communism - a complete failure if they didn't send the wealthy educated bourgeoisie scum to the gulags.