• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

NCAA Tournament - What's your favorite Wisky?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I would be shocked if the percentages make that a smart play. Because the chance that you go behind is higher if you foul in that situation.

ZeekLTK

If you foul, worst case is they score 2 points and you are guaranteed to get the ball back. Best case you use your last possession to score more than they did (2 or 3) and win.

If you try to play defense, against a team who you have struggled to stop all game no less, best case is you go to overtime. Why not give yourself a chance to win? Especially against an undefeated team...

I mean, if this was against Butler or Wichita State, ok, play D and go for the stop. But it's fucking Kentucky, you can't stop them, your only shot is to simply out score them. You can't out score them by giving them the last possession in a tied game... I would rather have the ball down 2 than let them have the ball tied up.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I would be shocked if the percentages make that a smart play. Because the chance that you go behind is higher if you foul in that situation.

Most likely, you will be behind in that situation. However, you get the ball back with some amount of time left. ND was lucky to get the ball with 6 seconds left. UK started their offense to soon. Foul and put them on the line with 25 seconds to go. ND has about 1-on-4 chance that UK goes 1-for-2 from the line (UK shot 72.5% as a team from the line this season). Now, ND has time to set up a play and have a better look at the basket with 25 seconds to go as opposed to the "dribble the ball up the floor like an asshole and throw up a prayer" offense that they had with 6 seconds to go.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Most likely, you will be behind in that situation. However, you get the ball back with some amount of time left. ND was lucky to get the ball with 6 seconds left. UK started their offense to soon. Foul and put them on the line with 25 seconds to go. ND has about 1-on-4 chance that UK goes 1-for-2 from the line (UK shot 72.5% as a team from the line this season). Now, ND has time to set up a play and have a better look at the basket with 25 seconds to go as opposed to the "dribble the ball up the floor like an asshole and throw up a prayer" offense that they had with 6 seconds to go.

Yeah, but you're trading what is, at best, a 50% chance at going behind for a 72.5% chance that you go behind. If you go behind, you're looking at that 50% chance to tie or win it. Kentucky will get 2 points the majority of the time with fouling, which is at best 50/50 if you just play defense. This isn't even a hard call. You play defense 100% of the time.

Or... they could just go 2-for-1 in the first place and this is all a moot point.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Does any person with a set of buick keys even own anything with Wi-Fi?

Only because I set it up and then fix it every time I visit ma'grandpa.

Last time a power outage goofed their router up and instead of resetting it like I described over the phone, they chose to wait 3 months for me to visit at Christmas.

Now he's back to emailing Bill O'Reilly daily from the comfort of his easy chair.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
I think the rule where you can advance the ball to mid court following a time out is coming to college next year. They are trying to add it to high school. This will certainly change things

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Real disappointing how the Domers shar away that one. Don't know why they had Auguste guarding Towns

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
KenPom has of course answered this: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/fouling_when_tied_part_2

Break even on this is 71.4% FT shooter, apparently. Just eye balling Kentucky's FT%, it looks like, for ND to foul that early, they would have put a better FT shooter than that out there. So Brey made the right decision.

Not as obvious as I thought though.

I have similar debates at the curling club about what is the better "last end situation" to be in. Is it better to be up 1 but the other team has the ability to throw the last shot or down 1 but have the ability to have the last shot? Makes for lively debate because there isn't a math guru like KenPom who has broken everything down, curling-wise, with statistics.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'd rather be up 1 defending as a corch, but as a player i always wanted the last shot for our team. Our coach would tell us if one of the guys likely to get a touch was under 70% and would tell his defender to go all out if he got the ball to try and force something. If he fouled that's cool. If the whole team was below average we'd run our trap and scramble. We weren't in a lot of close games but when we were it worked pretty well

CJ_24

I think if ND fouls Kentucky in that spot, the worst case scenario is Kentucky makes the first, misses the second and gets an offensive rebound, which is not all that implausible given the demons that are Kentucky's post players. If Kentucky's weakness was their inside presence, then I think you have an argument. But their post players are going to be starting the NBA next year, putting UK on the line is not a winning bet for Domer to make.

I think something should be done about the foul situation in college. The first part of that equation is easy, players should get 6 fouls before fouling out. The second part is more difficult. I think getting into bonus (and subsequently double bonus) is a little to casual in college hoops given that it only takes 6 team fouls over the course of 20 minutes, but I don't know what a good remedy for it would be.

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
Duke is so gay.Tony Romo, George Bush Sr, I why are these assholes Duke fans?

The entire state of New Jersey is going fucking nuts

Brick

Duke Kentucky wisky? Lawd

Go msu I guess. Man sportswriters are gonna rub themselves raw with these coaches.

PSUEagle

I usually hate Duke as much as anyone, but this year's team is actually fun to watch. They move the ball well, have a real low post presence, and get up and down. Helps that they don't have any annoying floor slapping white kids like Paulus, Scheyer, etc.

MSUFanatic

I usually hate Duke as much as anyone, but this year's team is actually fun to watch. They move the ball well, have a real low post presence, and get up and down. Helps that they don't have any annoying floor slapping white kids like Paulus, Scheyer, etc.

Just this guy.

b3df676f92bbfd6fe241371f27dcaa7a_crop_north.jpeg

Walt-Disney-Screencaps-Quasimodo-walt-disney-characters-28951285-2560-1466.jpg

PSUEagle

Haha I'll concede that.

I do like his game doh: just wish he were six inches taller for NBA purposes.

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow and Quinn Cook have outscored Michigan State, 32-31.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Wow these refs are terrible. Lyles punched that guy in the face.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
I have no clue how that wasn't a Flagrant 1. I thought it was Flagrant 2. To me it looked intentional the way Lyles kinda saw the guy. I know it's a big situation and you don't want the refs to "decide it" but that was a cheap shot.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
These refs are abysmal

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Dekker got the Phantom foul and then Kaminsky stands still and gets mowed down and it's a block. Wat