• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

NCAA Tournament - What's your favorite Wisky?

Plotty

Tath Meacher
Talk everything for the West Region here. #beardown
west_zps2a2687d8.png

Plotty

Tath Meacher
A Creighton Nebraska 2nd round matchup makes me so hard right now. Fuck those Baylor Bears.

Wop Genius

The committee likes to say they don't bracket teams together for storylines or national exposure. They instead call it the "serendipity" of the bracket. But there are almost too many common ties to be coincidence in the San Antonio pod. Consider all of this:

• Possible Nebraska vs Creighton matchup, in-state rivals that have already played this season
  • Baylor vs Nebraska, old Big XII foes. Iowa St also from the Big XII
  • Providence and Creighton both from the Big East, played for the BE tournament title against each other
  • Nebraska fired their previous head coach Doc Sadler, who is now an assistant for Iowa St.
  • Creighton head coach Greg McDermott was the previous coach at Iowa St.
  • All-American Doug McDermott, announced "from Ames, IA" and played at Ames High with former Tar Heel Harrison Barnes
  • UNC and Creighton played in the round of 32 two years ago, and UNC fans blame Creighton for injuries to PG Kendall Marshall. Subsequently send death threats to CU players on Twitter.
  • Oh yeah, North Carolina Central is there too
  • Baylor as the 6 seed has the biggest geographical advantage of any team in the pod

:trollface:

Dr. Shats Basoon

Closed mouths don't get fed
Wop what do you make of Creighton's draw?

I could see Brasky making it past Baylor* but then getting stomped by Creighton.
Hopefully Pettaway doesn't try to play hero ball. Gotta get Shields going and pitchford will have to be on. Leslee smith will need to have a big game off the bench too

*I haven't technically seen Baylor play

Wop Genius

Wop what do you make of Creighton's draw?

I could see Brasky making it past Baylor* but then getting stomped by Creighton.
Hopefully Pettaway doesn't try to play hero ball. Gotta get Shields going and pitchford will have to be on. Leslee smith will need to have a big game off the bench too

*I haven't technically seen Baylor play

I really love the draw--the homer in me says this is the year we finally go deep and possibly meet Zona in the Elite Eight.

ULL is pretty solid club and their PG Payton is the real deal. But they don't play a lick of defense, give up tons of 3s, and play high tempo. Plays right into CU's hands. I feel comfortable playing either NU or Baylor. Obviously Baylor's overall talent and athleticism poses problems, and we don't have a guy on our roster that can guard Isaiah Austin. But they play a lot of zone and if the Creighton that shows up is the one that is making 50% of their threes like average, I think we get past them. Providence zoned CU for 40 minutes in the BE final, but they also ground the tempo down to a stand still and shortened the game on offense. If we shoot our normal percentage we still would've won. Baylor will look to run on offense so it will create a higher possession game. Also, Baylor's guards aren't as athletic or long as the rest of the team. Teams like SDSU and St. John's bothered Creighton because they were long and athletic at positions 1-5.

After that, it's still not an intimidating bracket. Looking down the road, you've got a Wisconsin team that isn't all that impressive to me (in fact I'm a little down on the B1G in general). They score more than a vintage Bo Ryan team, but aren't the same defensive team. In fact ,the Wisky team we played last year was much better defensively and we beat them handily in Vegas. Or a possible reunion with Dana Altman and Oregon--no defense would be played and the game might be in the hundreds :grin:. Or there is slim chance a very meh BYU team gets hot. And there is no guarantee that Arizona gets to the Elite Eight either. A darkhorse like SDSU, Gonzaga or Oklahoma St could bust some brackets.

I do think it would be awesome to play Nebraska on Sunday though...while I think it likely that Baylor wins, it's not a forgone conclusion. The problem is that Nebraska isn't a great perimeter shooting team--they butter their bread with dribble penetration and getting to the foul line. Baylor's zone negates that advantage so Pitchford and Gallegos are going to have to have good games shooting the ball. If we do see each other on Sunday, I still think it's a CU win (but it definitely won't be a 38-8 affair 10 minutes in again).

*written from a McDonald's in Wichita. There is nothing here and my group is getting mocked for wearing blue*

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
I'm also liking the Minnesota representation today. Between Chambers, Jett, and half of the NDSU team it's looking pretty nice.

jdlikewhoa

Why not contest that inbound? At least force them to touch the ball and start the clock advancing up the court?