• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

NCAA Tournament - What's your favorite Wisky?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Jesus, Arkansas cannot figure out how to intentionally foul. Not that I'm complaining too much, because the game will be over faster.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
How do they keep leaving the corner 3 open like that? That's 3 times in a row ND has had a great look at 3 because they lose the guy in the corner.

Tailback U

@Tailback U's correct spelling and grammar percentage is worse than the free throw percentages he is bitching about. Jesus.
I'm on my phone sorry grammar nazi.

btw just heard on the Warriors broadcast that college basketball is on pace for the lowest scoring since 1952.

Lowest scoring in 60 years...crazy.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I'm on my phone sorry grammar nazi.

btw just heard on the Warriors broadcast that college basketball is on pace for the lowest scoring since 1952.

Lowest scoring in 60 years...crazy.

More because of the pace of the game than offenses being worse.

Tailback U

More because of the pace of the game than offenses being worse.

that explains the lowest scoring in 60 years?

So youre saying it's because teams are averaging the least amount of possessions per game in 60 years? Do you have a stat to back that up?

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni

So youre saying it's because teams are averaging the least amount of possessions per game in 60 years? Do you have a stat to back that up?
Two seasons ago, pace of play was the slowest it had ever been, with just 65.9 possessions per 40 minutes, according to KenPom.com. Scoring was the lowest it had been in more than 60 years, with teams each scoring an average of 67.5 points per game.

This is what I found so far with a quick google but I'm too lazy to look for more.

Wolfman21

I want to say I agree with @Tailback U on this, but i really don't have the stats to back it up. I feel like fouls are being called more often which affects the pace of the game...but again, i don't have the stats.

I will say that there are definitely less posessions in todays game. I just looked back at 2005 and compared it to this seasons stats in the ACC. On average, teams are attempting 4-5 less shots per game from top to bottom. Comparing FG%, they are pretty similar...maybe down a little bit across the board, but not drastically.

If anyone wants to do their own compare and contrast research, THIS is what i've been using to compare seasons...goes all the way back to 2002.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I just don't like how how coaches like Sean miller are all sweaty at halftime while talking to sideline reporter. Bob knight was never sweaty. Dean smith wasn't sweary. Get some hygiene miller. See a doctor about your sweat glands buddy.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

These numbers only go back to 2002 - because kenpom only goes back to then - but here you go: http://mgoblog.com/content/there-no-college-basketball-scoring-crisis

The first table is the important one. Offensive efficiency is marginally better than it was in 2002, but there's nearly 5 fewer possessions per game.

Here's how I'd fix it: 30 second shot clock, each coach only gets 2 timeouts per game.

Lloyd Carr

I cant get into March Madness anymore due to commercials.

Having to sit through 10+ commercials in the final 1-2 minutes of a game is unbareable. Ive already shut a few games off due to the commercials.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
They already have timeouts every 4 min without going into their stack of 10 or whatever they have. But still that doesnt matter just make more 20 seconds and charge companies more the be the one ad they fit in there.

The shot clock has to go, it is the thing that creates all these problems anyway

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
You guys are so cute. This is network programming, nothing more. Like price is right, but with more free cars

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
I use commercial breaks to go pee. Or re-fill a drink. or google stuff on collinsworth.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Fwiw, the ncaa actually wants scoring up hence all the emphasis placed on hand checking. The problems lie where the defenders are dumb and continue to put hands on the ball handler as they drive by and once the hand checking stops because the defender has picked up 2 quick fouls, the offensive player can't shoot a barely contested jumper

I blame aau tbh

ZeekLTK

The scoring is fine, for every team who shoots 30% there are teams that shoot over 50%. Looking at this season's stats - Golden State has the highest field goal percentage in the NBA (47.8%)... they would be #23 in the NCAA. There are plenty of teams who can shoot the ball, but it's also interesting to see teams win other ways too (with defense).

*Edit: And the bottom of the NBA isn't much better than the bottom of NCAA as far as FG percentage. The Sixers (40.9%) would be #292 in the NCAA, out of 351 total teams.

Last edited:

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Oklahoma's ogre game is too strong

Packfan

Administrator
Administrator
CAl7AlHUIAATe3v.jpg

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
My dad just now :
"Think West Virginia will beat Maryland"

Me: "I don't know much about maryland but they are the higher seed and probably favored"

Dad: "well Marylands in the what? Acc?"

Me:"yea"

Dad: "well they got florida state, Virginia tech."

Fuck. Yea they sure do. Those are the teams that would toughen maryland up in basketball.