1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Raid Offense

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Discussion' started by bruin228, Feb 13, 2014.

1. jonsapp7487

jonsapp7487 New Member

Team:
    fsu
    I would attack the seam between the safety's. Maybe use a bunch quads formation streak both outside guys to occupy the two deep safety's and streak the guy on tip of the bunch and attack the seams. The wr on the tip of the bunch needs to be your fastest wr you have to attack the seam. You can use the other Wrs on underneath routes or sight adjustments. If you don't have speed your chasing it.

2. Downinthebend

Downinthebend Active Member

ea deleted/corrupted my playbook, I fixed everything besides getting stick as the quick audible of trio 4 wr, can anyone tell me their quick audibles for that formation>

3. Craig7835

Craig7835 Active Member

Team:
    Alabama
  4. Downinthebend

What are some good pistol running plays?

5. bruin228

bruin228 Madden Mobile Addict NCAA Moderator

Team:
    LEACH
    Any personnel?

6. Downinthebend

maximum of two te/h

also how do I get stick as short throw auidble in trio 4 wr from shotgun, I did it my first playbook, but ea deleted that one.

7. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Strong Power from Ace or Twin TE Slot
    Stretch from Twin TE Slot (kind of redundant, so see which one you like more)
    Slam from any formation
    HB Zone from H Twins or Strong Slot (the H Twins one is better, in my opinion, but you can HUNH into Split Offset from Strong Slot and new school Raid teams love that formation)
    Stretch from Spread Flex
    Counter from Trips Open

Those are the ones I've used and liked, I don't really mess with Pistol too much, though.

Not sure about the Stick audible, I've only used that formation in one playbook and I believe it gave me Double Screen and I was too lazy to change it.

8. Downinthebend

So slam is better than dive?

9. Wolfman21

Wolfman21 Well-Known Member

Ok. so does Vertical/height matter for wideouts? How do you guys user catch with wideouts? Seems most of the time, even with an above average spectacular catch, 6'4 WR...when I hold Y, he does nothing. Sometimes he'll just run into the circle and just stand there. I don't understand.

10. NML

NML Well-Known Member

@bruin228 whats the best thing you've read on Leach's offense?

Michael Lewis's article is one of my favorites reads about him, but it's not entirely offense focused. I have the Oklahoma PB which I enjoy referencing when I forget reads.

11. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Here's something on the Air Raid in general, which includes a ton of information on his offense and others: http://smartfootball.com/offense/th...-to-holgorsen-and-beyond#sthash.L89UFn1d.dpbs

Here's the most comprehensive read on his offense: https://www.cougcenter.com/air-raid-offense-playbook-mike-leach

NML likes this.
  12. FSS

FSS Member

How do Air raid teams throw so many passes and still keep intercepts down(at least relative to the amount of throws they make)? Does it have to do with the amount of screens they throw which count as throws but have a low risk of being picked. If so what is the ratio you are looking for in terms of screen plays to regular drop back passes.

BTW this guy is really good. He makes things really easy to understand and has a lot of good videos.

13. TheSystem

TheSystem Member

I believe that's part of it you also have a lot of quick passes snags,sticks,slants that are harder to intercept because they are so timing based. The other reason is because the reads are fairly simple execute and they practice those reads everyday at a high volume that it improves their execution. I'm always looking for screens against pressure or uncovered looks. Ideally at a minimum I want to run at least 1 screen a qtr and I could always run them more.

FSS likes this.
  14. FSS

FSS Member

How much does route spacing have to do with it in your opinion if any?

15. TheSystem

TheSystem Member

On some routes it helps but they also have others where receivers can wind up fairly close together (the meshers on mesh).

16. FSS

FSS Member

What would an air raid team do if they good a really good power back on the team? He is a really strong runner not very fast and limited to average hands.

17. TheSystem

TheSystem Member

For starters let him run wildcat. Hands can be developed. For recent examples of power backs in the Air Raid check out Texas Tech's Desmond Nisby and TCU's Sewo Olonilua highlights.

FSS likes this.
  18. FSS

FSS Member

Thanks i have some other questions. What concepts does air raid use to score in the redzone but especially in the goal line 10 yrds and in?

How do you use a good TE who can run block and pass? If you have him split out how do you deal with team that put a dime back on him?

Where do you put your best receiver(route running)? I thought putting him at the Y because that is who must of the concepts attack with. Y-sail, cross, shallow, stick, corner, etc. If this correct what if he is also your fastest and best deep ball threat?

Also i see your name is the system and i guess that is tony franklin in your avi. What do you prefer about his system that is different then other Air Raid guys like Leach and Mumme?

19. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Stick and Y Corner, without a doubt. If it's Y Corner out of 2x2, it's double slants on the backside.

Not sure what you're asking, exactly. If he can catch and block, then you're in a good spot. You can keep him in to block on three man concepts if you want (like he is on Stick from Normal HB Wk) but I don't really see the point. 11 personnel sets like Bunch HB Str are great pass sets. If they're putting a dime back on him, no huddle into a set with him inline and then run the ball on them.

I put my fastest guys at H and Y and my bigger guys at X and Z. I agree with you, though. I always have good offenses, but if I have someone special at Y, it really makes the offense pretty much unstoppable so yeah, I would put him there.

FSS likes this.
  20. FSS

FSS Member

Thanks for the reply

My question about the TE is hard to explain. For example you have a Gronk/Witten type player who can really block but obviously good in passing game. I see a lot of TE's in air in Y flex position. I guess my thinking is he no longer can utilize his blocking well if he is flexed. So he no longer is a mismatch hybrid player just a slow (really good) Wr. If someone puts a db on him he really has no natural advantage. Even if he blocks the DB the play likely wont get out that far any way unless its a sweep or screen pass.

I was wondering the pros of keeping him flexed vs attaching to the formation.