1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Air Raid Offense

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Discussion' started by bruin228, Feb 13, 2014.

1. bruin228

bruin228 Madden Mobile Addict NCAA Moderator

Team:
    LEACH
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
    RealestCFB likes this.
  2. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
  3. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    Good stuff here. I still run this in my passing game, but I run a Pro Spread Raid bastardized offense.

4. RealestCFB

RealestCFB Train hard, fight easy

Team:
    Washington State
    bruin228 likes this.
  5. TXHusker05

TXHusker05 Well-Known Member NCAA Moderator

Team:
    Nebraska
    My passing game is pretty much the core air raid concepts as well. Touched on it in the Drop Back section of my Spread-I write up but all these staple air raid passing concepts have managed to find their way into just about every playbook.

There was a good discussion on the old board about what makes an offense air raid or spread to run and why one is better than the other. If you really start boiling down the key pieces of some of these offenses, you'll notice a ton of similarities. Mike Leach and Gus Malzahn have the exact same pass plays, literally identical in both playbooks, the difference comes in the usage.

You can be air raid and still have a good run game, you can be super duper spread option and still have a great pass game. The great thing about all these air raid concepts is that they are pretty much universal. Any offensive style can get use out of these plays. Doesn't matter if you pass 50 times or pass 15 times.

JSU Zack likes this.
  6. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    Marshall is a pretty interesting team to follow. You should try checking out some of their stuff.

7. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH

Going to watch this now.

Haven't seen any Raid staples out of their first two possessions outside of Hitch Seam (isn't really a staple per se but it is used).

Three possessions in, seen 5 wide, 10 personnel, and 11 personnel. 3 straight runs after a PI call for a TD. They're saying Cato checks to all the runs but they're averaging over 200 yards a game so I dunno. Maybe the defenses in the C-USA are just really bad.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    I remember watching the game and I recall seeing a good number of "air raid" plays. I'll watch it just to confirm, lol. Plus it was a really good game.

Is Cato returning? I assume he is. Can't wait to watch his senior year.

Edit: their very first play was stick from 5 WR. Probably one of the most popular quick game plays these days, as well as a "staple" of the raid. :Winking:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    I've only watched the first 3 possessions thus far so I'm sure you're right.

Cato is back.

God dammit haha, I thought it was Stick but I doubted myself. The slants looked kind of weird so I wasn't sure. They ran 5 WR Stick again for the first TD later but it looks like both WRs use a double move on their slants.

10. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    #3 runs a slant, #2 ran a fake to the outside with a pivot inside that destroyed Maryland's defense, lol.

Their first play was stick out of 5 wide, the second play was another play I see Oklahoma State run a lot, but I don't quite know what it's called. It is sort of like levels but #1 makes an in cut and then sits after going about 4 yards vertical. #2 makes an in cut after anywhere between 8 and 12 yards, and #3 (since it was 5 wide) just ran vertical.

OSU does this out of 2x2 but they don't mirror it. Instead they pair it with Smash or stick.

11. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    They've run 6's out of 11 personnel or 5 wide a decent amount where the inside guy runs that post/vertical type route.

Cato got called for signaling first down lol, ridiculous

12. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Finished the game. Looks like Marshall is of the new Raid school which involves a lot of more running. More deep passes as well, I don't think I ever saw them run a shallow concept. That Taliaferro kid is a great Raid back. They based out of either 11 personnel or 5 wide almost the entire game, pretty interesting that they didn't really seem to like to go 4 wide. I would guess it's because they want Hoskins on the field as much as possible. I wonder why they don't utilize Cato in the run game much if they're going to go that spread-raid route.

13. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    Because they don't need to. Don't forget that to implement more QB run game, they have to detract from something else in their practice time. Cato doesn't need to have a QB run game to help his passing, as he's pretty good at throwing the ball. Their running game is obviously pretty decent too, so that helps his throwing without having to sacrifice his body.

Shallow Cross just isn't as popular as it used to be with 'raid teams. Defenses are getting much better at defending Shallow by basically forcing the throw to the drag and dropping it as soon as it's caught.

14. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    Fair enough.

Yeah, seems like Leach is the only one who runs it consistently anymore. I actually saw Maryland run Mesh haha, they got sacked on it though.

They must have run this one PA Verticals play 10+ times, Hoskins was just abusing whoever was on him.

15. dubvcrazy

dubvcrazy Member

Team:
    West Virginia
    Fellow raider here. I use the default WVU playbook and basically run my offense as Dana would. Probably pass a little more than the balance Dana likes.

On the Marshall subject, I really really like watching them play (yes I just said that). Their offense is a blast to watch and Cato is a stud. I like using their playbook in NCAA too, if I'm feeling a spread/raid type of thing.

And are you guys on PS3 or xbox? I'm on PS3, and if you all are feel free to add me on there and we can play sometime. PSN is the same as my username on here

16. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    We's all on Xbox, young one.

Are you in college yet?

17. dubvcrazy

dubvcrazy Member

Team:
    West Virginia
    Damn bruhhhhhhhhhh. No one has PS3.

No, I'm a senior rn. You?

18. bruin228

Team:
    LEACH
    dubvcrazy likes this.
  19. bjc

bjc Butt Naked Wonda

Team:
    OSU
    Yeah. I'm habib from oldtopia btw.

How's life changed since the banning? ;)

20. dubvcrazy

dubvcrazy Member

Team:
    West Virginia
    Sweet man! At OSU?

Lol, I've changed..