• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Air Raid Offense

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
The air raid as a core is pretty much dead. Every offense incorporates air raid elements to it now but pure air raid aside from Leach is almost dead.

Craig7835

The air raid as a core is pretty much dead. Every offense incorporates air raid elements to it now but pure air raid aside from Leach is almost dead.

Leach still runs some aspects of it but he's mostly running a Multiple with a mix of Shotgun,Ace & Pistol formations

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
The last one I watched was the Houston game. He was using all the formations with some RPO blended in as well

Are you thinking of Dana? Leach has not used Pistol outside a few snaps in 2012 because they had a former Nevada guy on staff and he hasn’t gone under center since a few snaps with Falk in 14/15.

Atmore

Mesh Question....

Is speed or route running more important for the Wrs running the mesh? I love the concept but when the defense is in man it's iffy if one will get open

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
They won’t get open against man in NCAA unless the defenders are just absolutely terrible and I’m not sure even then. Crossers just get mirrored. Route running is more important so they can know correctly when to sit.

Atmore

They won’t get open against man in NCAA unless the defenders are just absolutely terrible and I’m not sure even then. Crossers just get mirrored. Route running is more important so they can know correctly when to sit.

So basically if you're in a 2x2 and it looks like man audible out?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
So basically if you're in a 2x2 and it looks like man audible out?

Look for a play in Spread Flex called WR Post Corner. This is how I've been running Mesh for the past 5-6 years. That stem post that the Z runs destroys man. Hot route the slots to drags to get your mesh concept, the back to a wheel, and you can have X run a streak or deep out.

If you're looking to get the aspect of the concepts where the crossers settle in zone, this is how I do it: hot route the H to a flat and the back to an option route. You're just switching the assignments of the back and the H. Your back and the Y will perform the mesh and I've found that backs are generally much better at sitting down on those option routes.

You can also combine Mesh and Flood out of 3x1:

7F7qpUn.png

Let me know if you have other questions.

Atmore

Look for a play in Spread Flex called WR Post Corner. This is how I've been running Mesh for the past 5-6 years. That stem post that the Z runs destroys man. Hot route the slots to drags to get your mesh concept, the back to a wheel, and you can have X run a streak or deep out.

If you're looking to get the aspect of the concepts where the crossers settle in zone, this is how I do it: hot route the H to a flat and the back to an option route. You're just switching the assignments of the back and the H. Your back and the Y will perform the mesh and I've found that backs are generally much better at sitting down on those option routes.

You can also combine Mesh and Flood out of 3x1:

7F7qpUn.png

Let me know if you have other questions.

I appreciate it I'll try this out tonight. Never thought about using the back with option routes for mesh

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I appreciate it I'll try this out tonight. Never thought about using the back with option routes for mesh
Another thing I remembered with that set is motioning the Z in. It’ll create a more compressed alignment that you can run a lot of stuff from, including Mesh. Pick something where the Y runs a corner (I like Smash Corners because you get that HB angle route that you can do a lot with), HR the Z and H to drags, back to a wheel, and the X to a streak/deep out.