• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2055 WBL Betting Thread

NML

I believe all bets have been posted in the first thread. Let me know if anything seems wrong or if I'm missing someone's. I'm also updating it with the standings and rules.

Lloyd Carr

If you read the rules

ZGnzBCI.gif

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
You almost certainly already posted this but since I have the reading comprehension skills of a lemon, are you gonna be doing things like Most HRs as well

NML

Haven't changed any rules, I added a few about 10 minutes after I posted the first ones but :thumbsup:

NML

You almost certainly already posted this but since I have the reading comprehension skills of a lemon, are you gonna be doing things like Most HRs as well

Definitely. I'll take any suggestions that you'll want to do.

Hunger Games odds will be posted within the next 24 hours.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Bet on some Dublin players so I can alter my lineup to screw you guys.

Milheirio got dis

NML

HUNGER GAMES ODDS! THIS BET WILL STAY UP UNTIL OPENING DAY

Hunger Games 2055 Winner
Marat Aleev 1:1
Tim Fisher 3:2
Leonardo Rodriguez 3:2
Russ McDonald 2:1
Tommy Floyd 2:1
Liang-hsi Xuan 2:1
Field 3:1

Last edited:

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
For the most part the best player has been kind of obvious, but for pitchers he considers other things beyond WAR.

NML

Why is pitcher WAR so controversial?

As long as Travis has some set standard and he won't just pick randomly, I'll switch it to "HG winner."

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
I'm confused here. What more is Travis going to take into consideration that the WAR score doesn't? I mean, the highest WAR should win unless pitchers are penalized.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Pitcher WAR is broke dick. We can go into the statistical reasons why if you want, but it isn't a good single stat representation of a player's performance. With pitchers I consider several statistics, of which FIP and WAR (FIP and innings pitched) are only part of it. I also look at ERA,ERA+ and WHIP too. Would you rather give the award to some 2.0 PITCHER WAR retard starting pitcher with 200 innings but 6.00 ERA and 1.5 WHIP or a shutdown closer with 1.5 PITCHER WAR with a 1.9 ERA and 0.8 WHIP but only 60 innings?

With batters I also look at their contribution in each phase of the game, WAR is a good summary of that but it is also an accumulation stat and if a batter has 0.1 WAR less but MUCH better stats (in less games) then I think I should be able to at least consider the batter with less WAR but better overall resume.

I think the only time this might get tough is if we have a really good pitcher and a really good batter in the same season. If it is remotely close, I'll present the "finalists" with all the relevant stats and we can all debate who the winner is. The closest we had was two years ago when we had a couple of inning eater type pitchers who put up decent WARs but underwhelming stats vs a batter who played really well in all phases of the game. I personally felt the batter was better, but it was close enough that I solicited responses and everyone seemed to agree on the winner. Every other year it has been pretty obvious who the winner was.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Sounds like you have too much time on your hands. I get paid too much to do similar shit and I wouldn't waste my time on that and I spent two hours playing along to Local H.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think this sums up how travis approaches the league and the rest of us are on the left

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I also see white space.

Tony pitcher WAR as OOTP implements it is based of FIP, and is thus crap. IT IS NOT WHAT IT SAYS IT IS.

Not a FIP hater.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I also see white space.

Tony pitcher WAR as OOTP implements it is based of FIP, and is thus crap. IT IS NOT WHAT IT SAYS IT IS.

Not a FIP hater.

yeah, I don't hate either, but I don't think they are a complete representation. There are a lot of good pitchers in the league that aren't complete high Ks type guys.

This dude is a good example. Low stuff = not great FIP = not great WAR. But he's got good movement, GREAT control. He might be a RIGGER SPECIAL system pitcher, but he's still very successful even though his FIP and WAR are the least impressive thing about him. ERA+ and WHIP show he's solid.

NML

So, assuming most of our big names sign tonight, I'm going to be posting a majority of our season-long bets, including:

W/L over/under
Playoff
WS Champs
1-1

Requested lines that I'll also do:
Most HRs

If you have any more you'd like to see, post here.

NML

Win Totals for 2055 Season (all bets are 1:1, open until end of ST)

Berlin - 49.5
Miami - 55.5
Moscow - 67.5
Las Vegas - 69.5
Buenos Aires - 72.5
United Kingdom - 79
Little Rock - 80
Lisbon - 81
Buffalo - 83.5
False Bay - 87
Dublin - 90
Seoul - 90