• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2051 WBL Season Thread

Wolfman21

giphy.gif

Live sim tonight?

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Pre-Season Dowher Rankings

1. Helsingborg -- Maybe the first time I haven't had Amsterdam in this spot. Hammers have won 2 of the last 4 titles. Still have a very good bullpen but lost Juarez/Roddis. They do return most everyone else and the potent lineup is still good.

2. Amsterdam -- They'll still hit a lot but losing Zwager, Karpetbomber, Campbell and Rex Rowe will take a toll. The good news is a lot of core is young and that should be enough to still win 100+ games. Someone like McBride who hit 26 HRs while hitting .325 in the bottom half of the order so yeah, this team is still loaded in the lineup. That said: the pitching staff with the loss of Campbell is very thin.

3. Las Vegas -- Back-to-back franchise high 108 win seasons. Probably the best SP staff in the NL and a solid lineup/bullpen. The SS hole has been fixed (we hope). But holes at 3B/RF could prevent this team from getting to 108 again. Need bounce back year from Enrique Gomez and hoping a much better bench hitting wise will add some wins.

4. Moscow -- Personally, I think there's a big drop from top 3 to the rest of the league. Moscow just wins. 104 of them last year. But they lose their best player in Megaman (I, for one, am excited to not have to face him in the playoffs again... I've lost all 3 games he's starting vs. me the last two years). They also lose a very solid SP in Rivas who was their #3 and Mounds at 3B without much of an ability to sign them because of a problem with signing guys too early. All that said: if they add a SP in season, I see them still making the playoffs.

5. Seoul -- My yearly complaint about Seoul has been top talent and lacking in role players/giant holes. I think they really improved around the elite core this off-season. I think Yazizi has a nice bounce back year, Kardal/Garia/Erez are all real good bullpen arms, Sang is useful... Overall I think they're still maybe a little behind Moscow and need another bat/arm but they really closed the 23 game gap from last year.

6. Berlin -- Sometimes I think the Off-Season Center "WAR won/lost" is bullshit and this team is projected loss of -10 is BS. This team is really going to hit but they're going to give up lots of runs. Should be good enough for 85-90 wins if they can't get more SP. Another good SP or two and this team has a chance to make the playoffs.

7. Istanbul -- I think the bottom 3 are way below the top 6 and they're fairly close. Istanbul is still a ways away.

8. Lisbon -- Addition by subtraction? They added the most WAR basically in the NL mostly due to losing terrible players. Potentially dominant SPs in Fernandez/Lee/Sargant but they're almost blowing their minimum years with these bad teams. I think it's time to start winning in Lisbon.

9. Dublin -- I like the Brown/Ammar buy low signings. Still a ways away.

My "levels"

LV/AMD/HEL
MOS
BER/SEO
IST/LIS/DUB

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Since I cant cheat using the preseason predictions here I go

Vegas
Borg
Dam
Seoul
Moscow
Berlin
Lisbon
Istabul
Dublin

False Bay
Key
Kabul
Riggers
Buffalo
BA
San Fran
Cairo
LR

Schauwn

You had some nice signings too. The NL is just tough. I think you are good for 5 or 6.

That's what I'm thinking. I'll be shocked if I make the playoffs, the top 4 are just too good. But I think I'll be 5 or 6, like you said.

doh

@doh I think you have me #1 one other season as well as yourself once I believe.
Yeah you mention it I think I have. I thought 1-4 was extremely tight last year. Moscow just lost a ton... Mega is absolutely dominant and Rivas is really solid. But Moscow loses more stars than other teams and keeps on winning. They (and Cairo) are the teams that keep winning that I always think are about to take a step back.

SL coming up today when I have a free minute...

doh

Interesting...I think I'll be better than 7th, but we'll see.
SL I think you'd be in the running for a playoff spot. I just think not enough firepower in the lineup right now. Rotation is as good as anyone and with defense may lead the league in ERA. Need to build the bullpen IMO. I think the core of SPs is there and those are hard as hell to get... just need a big bat, two solid ones and 2-3 bullpen arms. Not that far away...

doh

South League Dowher Rankings

1. False Bay -- Again it's been a dominant FA session from JD. I posted above I don't believe in WAR added/lost but I think in this case they are the most improved team in the WBL. They add a top 3 SP in the game in Mega, a top 10 in Campbell, the best RP in FA in Karpet, a potential bounce back/breakout guy in Sauce, a solid 3B and one of the best hitting catchers in the league. Fleece much? And expect Bug/Montgomery to continue to develop. I love bring back Carrillo too to solidify the CF position/OF defense. They do lose FAs in Chen/Rep. My concern is the bullpen is thin but that's the easiest place to replenish.

2. Kabul -- So much for the rebuild: Only lose Aiden Davies from a 99 win team. Still the best lineup in the SL by a wide margin. SP/RP are fairly average and killed them in the playoffs. Probably time to double down and go all in for a big time SP but maybe they want to rebuild? Who knows.

3. Buffalo -- I see 3-6 as basically interchangeable. I've been critical of Buffalo but loved their off-season too. If you want to win, why not just completely mortgage the future and go all in? The SL is certainly for the taking. They get Zwager which significantly upgrades bad IF defense, Rex Rowe as a solid SP on the back end and Davies to significantly improved OF defense. Looks like a little step back from Mason means they're void of a "true" #1 but depth wise this SP staff is up with anyone. Plug up the RF hole and add a RP arm and this team is cooking.

4. Key West -- The rebuilding project provided them a WS appearance behind an extremely impressive SP staff. Defense still good and Brady Thompson may add a ton this lineup that needed star power (although it has very nice depth). Have pulled 3 blockbusters the last two years involving first round picks and wouldn't be surprised if they did this year again to add a big time bat.

5. North Dakota -- Splitting hairs with KWest above them: The Ridaz have perfected the "building to stadium specifications" game (and looks like others want to copy cat now). They shocked the world (baseball league) with a LCS app last year and they have a team that's built to win in October. They didn't lose much and the MEdina/Juarez signings are IMO huge for an offense that needs some extra pop while keeping the defense. If the defense numbers stay the same, this team is awfully hard to beat. Vajarov as a DH too interests me...

6. Buenos Aries -- Very quiet off-season in Argentina and maybe that's what they needed. Only really lose Fazackerly and add a LOOGY. Better health and Vis moving to DH to get more offense out of him (and more defense out of the catcher position) might be the keys for the Gauchos who barely missed the playoffs last year. Could use Lyman being healthy/better and a upgrade at 1B. Can you believe GOAT Kasib is 30? He led the SL in BB9 K9 HR9 en route to winning the WAR title (which he has in every single full year in the SL).

7. San Francisco -- I loved the Seguin signing. I wanted Chekov too and should've offered more. Still kinda stuck here.

8. Cairo -- Were hanging on by a thread and things just blew up on them last year finally. They'd won 87+ games for 7 straight years before last years disaster. Unfortunately they didnt add anything and lost a couple useful bullpen arms in the offseason. Paging @NML....

9. Little Rock -- Oh Fluff

Levels:

FB/KAB
BUF/KW/ND/BA
SF
CAI/LR

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If they aren't deleted try going to your lineup page, sort by defensive stats and then use the ST split, but they might be deleted instantly or never recorded, I dont remember

Wolfman21

2. Kabul -- So much for the rebuild: Only lose Aiden Davies from a 99 win team. Still the best lineup in the SL by a wide margin. SP/RP are fairly average and killed them in the playoffs. Probably time to double down and go all in for a big time SP but maybe they want to rebuild?

I tried. Had conversations with multiple teams on chavez, lopez, kirk and Gonzalez but nobody was Goin for it. So I'll halfway compete this year and try again next

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I agree with Doh's ratings pretty much across the board. I'd swap Lisbon/Berlin as I think Lisbon is ready to take that step forward to team that would make the playoffs in the SL for sure but not the NL.

As for my own team, I think the riggers got "better" in the off season, but will still see a step back and miss the playoffs this year because the SL got more competitive in general, as I think almost every other team got better as well. Osick missed the majority of last season on vacation, which is part of why I snuck into the playoffs, but he's still got a better team than mine I think and if he'd have been around to make adjustments I think he'd have bounced me or KW from the last playoff spots last year. False Bay traded away too much pitching early and then missed the playoffs because of that, and with them improving a ton in FA I don't see that happening again. They've got a great lineup and now have an amazing pitching staff as well. Key West and San Francisco also both got better as well and I foresee a really good playoff fight for the 3rd year in a row as a lot of even teams bash it out. I also anticipate seeing a defensive/pitching drop off due to superb BABIP and career years from multiple pitchers reverting to the mean. My personal goal is 80 wins.

Reactions: doh

NML

8. Cairo -- Were hanging on by a thread and things just blew up on them last year finally. They'd won 87+ games for 7 straight years before last years disaster. Unfortunately they didnt add anything and lost a couple useful bullpen arms in the offseason. Paging @NML....

I did PM him about a week ago but didn't hear back. I'm guessing he hasn't exported since the 14th still?

doh

I agree with Doh's ratings pretty much across the board. I'd swap Lisbon/Berlin as I think Lisbon is ready to take that step forward to team that would make the playoffs in the SL for sure but not the NL.

As for my own team, I think the riggers got "better" in the off season, but will still see a step back and miss the playoffs this year because the SL got more competitive in general, as I think almost every other team got better as well. Osick missed the majority of last season on vacation, which is part of why I snuck into the playoffs, but he's still got a better team than mine I think and if he'd have been around to make adjustments I think he'd have bounced me or KW from the last playoff spots last year. False Bay traded away too much pitching early and then missed the playoffs because of that, and with them improving a ton in FA I don't see that happening again. They've got a great lineup and now have an amazing pitching staff as well. Key West and San Francisco also both got better as well and I foresee a really good playoff fight for the 3rd year in a row as a lot of even teams bash it out. I also anticipate seeing a defensive/pitching drop off due to superb BABIP and career years from multiple pitchers reverting to the mean. My personal goal is 80 wins.
I think Lisbon is very close. The SP is there. The bullpen/lineup aren't. I think their issue is just Nutball is an elite bat. Maybe the RF can turn into one. And I like some of my former guys like Ted Carter, Langille and those types filling out a lineup with good defense/solid offense. It just sucks for them that the top of the NL right now all have very stacked rosters. You're right though I could see them passing Berlin. They had a little window but they had some rough injuries and honestly I think 1-4 this is the most stacked over a long period we've had in the WBL.

Helsingborg: 100, 113, 78, 102 (2 Ships)
Amsterdam: 111, 107, 100, 109 (1 Ship)
Las Vegas: 97, 103, 108, 108
Moscow: 91, 94, 109, 104

Amsterdam probably has the most holes of the playoff teams but they make up for it with the 5-6 WAR type guys. I think Seoul could sneak up into the 4 if Moscow isn't healthy again.

The SL IMO is pretty much a cluster F this year. I think Kabul/FB are just better than the rest of the bunch unless they hit with bad injuries (as long as FBs bullpen doesn't completely blow up). I think Buffalo really did get better in positions they desperately needed to and should make the playoffs. KW SP is great but offense is very meh. Maybe Thompson puts them back int he playoffs. You guys need that good DE again which I think you will have but it's been hard for me replicate. BA just needs a little luck. I think an involved Osick helps them a ton he's been great at mid season trades.