• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I'm sorry, but NOT pitting under caution only to come in 3 laps after the race goes green again is idiotic. You could come in under yellow and get tires and still be closer to the front than getting gas only under green. Don't understand that.

if you're assuming the race goes green, you don't watch much Nascar

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Yep. Had Jeff pitted under that caution when those other guys did, he prolly would have won. He definitely wouldn't have been mired in traffic.

Iron

Milka Duno signs with RAB Racing for Nationwide ride. God help us all.

And yet, Johanna Long still hasn't run a top 3 NASCAR series race this season.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Shame. Johanna Long is actually pretty good.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Susie Wolff in F1. She's about on par with Massa in terms of practice speed.

Bdub

Massa is done in F1 I hope he retires and Susie gets a chance. If Williams had a decent driver they would have won a couple of races this year.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Alonso to Williams!

Srsly doe, hope Alonso has a good ride next year. The man deserves it. Ferrari needs to give Christian Horner/Ross Brawn/Adrian Newey a blank check to come to Maranello.

Bdub

Alonso to Williams!

Srsly doe, hope Alonso has a good ride next year. The man deserves it. Ferrari needs to give Christian Horner/Ross Brawn/Adrian Newey a blank check to come to Maranello.
Yeah if Williams wasn't so cheap maybe they could attract someone that good. Ferrari needs to get their shit together, Alonso deserves it.

Wolfman21

Just bought tickets to the Nationwide race here in Charlotte on October 10th for 35 bucks a piece. Section G, Row 34.

Bdub

With the way Graham has run that car they probably don't want anything to do with Indy. Good thing he is a Rahal or he would be out of a job.

Iron

NASCAR doing something good it seems - they uploaded the full Pocono race from last week on their youtube page. Looks like it's the international feed since it cuts to in-car cameras during the regular commercials.

Wolfman21

Marcos Ambrose wins the NNS race today. Sprint Cup regulars finish 1-5. Chase Elliott is first NNS regular at 6th and increases his points lead to 12 pts over Regan Smith.

Iron

Wow sounds like Tony Stewart lost his shit tonight and hit a driver out of their sprint car under yellow during race north of Watkins Glen.

Later edit: People blew this out of proportion

Last edited:

Iron

Tons of things flying around on twitter tonight. All rumors/unconfirmed,...Sounds like driver was upset with Stewart and he basically just hit him with right side of car

Later edit: People blew this out of proportion

Last edited:

Bdub

Sounds like he hit him and dragged him. If so NASCAR just found someone to ban for life.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
10563510_10204524601464226_1894873027_n.jpg

A friend of mine knows the race director at the speedway. Things are very "tight lipped" at the track.

Last edited:

Iron

Press conference at 1am

edit: sounds like FS1 will carry it live

Last edited:

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Sporting News has an article

The Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff’s Office confirmed there had been an accident and its investigators are at the scene. There was no immediate announcement on Ward's condition. Racing was canceled for the rest of the night.
Tyler Graves, a sprint-car racer and friend of Ward's, told the Sporting News in a phone interview that he was sitting in the Turn 1 grandstands and saw everything that happened
"Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing," Graves said. "The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.
"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."
Rich Willis, who was at the track, said he didn’t see exactly what happened but his sister down in Turn 1 did. His description was similar to that of Graves.
“People (who could see it better) said the guy got out of his car and was gesturing angrily at Tony Stewart when Tony Stewart came by during the next lap under yellow,” Willis said in a phone interview. “He approached him and evidently when he was driving by the guy standing on the track gesturing at him, he gunned his engine.
“What happened was the back end kicked out and clipped the guy and the guy flew across the track.”
Graves said Stewart swerved before gunning the engine but did not believe it was intentional.
"You never mean to do something like that," Graves said. "Kevin was pissed and he let Tony know. And Tony was trying to give the message back that he wasn't happy either. He went over the line with it."
"The first thing Kevin said to me was, 'I'm glad your OK,'" Graves said. "He hit me full throttle. I've been friends with Kevin for the last several years. … He's a clean racer."

Wolfman21

While Tony is a little crazy, I have a hard time believing that he would see a dude walking on the track and just gun it and run over him. There are reports out there from people there that say they believe he tried to swerve to miss him as well. Hoping the reports about Ward being dead are false. That would be heartbreaking more than anything.

^Those reports sound similar but different as well. The first one sounds exaggerated all to hell. It threw him 50 yards??? Does that person know how far 50 yards is? I don't see any car throwing anyone 50 yards.

Wolfman21

Also, I don't know how you people do the twitter thing. I've been on it trying to keep up with the story, and the idiocy that is on there makes me want to weep.

Iron

Sounds like the presser at 1am was just local news breaking in and recapping what little we know.

Wolfman21

Try to follow what the credible sources say.

That's the problem, theres so much bullshit and people trying to be funny, you can't see the credible stuff. OMG YALL, TONY STERAT KILLED A GUY!!! jesus christ

Iron

That's the problem, theres so much bullshit and people trying to be funny, you can't see the credible stuff. OMG YALL, TONY STERAT KILLED A GUY!!! jesus christ

Well, the problem is that most of the regular media was most likely asleep since most of this has broken since midnight.

Iron

Canandaigua Motorspots Park will not have an official statement on the accident that happened in the ESS race until tomorrow.
Please pray for the entire racing community of fans, drivers, and families.

Wolfman21

Well, that statement pretty much confirms that Ward is dead. That sucks no matter if it were intentional or not.

I'll just say it again. I can't see Tony intentionally running this cat over. Honestly, blame should be thrown at him as well for walking out towards a moving car with no helmet or anything on just because hes mad. Sadly, there will be no public blame put on him because hes dead and because Tony is the bigger target to go after.

Iron

Sounds like local county sheriffs are meeting with parents of Ward. Will address media shortly - this coming from WROC-TV

Believe Ward is only 17.

FOX Sports Radio seems to be the main media covering it. FS1 brings it up every 10 mins or so. ESPN hasn't said a word I guess.

Iron

Fox Sports Radio has been covering it for a good hour, new guy comes in and its all about Johnny Football now. OK...

Wolfman21

They apparently took the video down. I'm sure you could youtube it and find it unless they're taking them all down.

This is a video of the incident. Can't really tell much of what was going on with Tony, but it shows everything. Ouch. Warning...quite graphic. I don't see how the kid survived that.

Last edited:

Mr. Tennessee

That Crazy Linux Guy
Utopia Moderator
Shouldn't of gotten out of the car. Well, Stewart is gone from racing either way intentional or not.

Wolfman21

Just amazing to me that as unstable as these cars are, you would jump out of your wrecked car and go running down waving your arms at someone. Looks like Tony got in the gas and the cars rear end whipped out on him. I can see how that could be seen as intentional and I can see how that could be seen as just bad luck. Either way, the kid shouldn't have been there. Just not a good situation.

Wolfman21

^^that's been my point since the beginning of this. Everyone is ready to roast tony and hang him...but holy crap the stunt that kid pulled was stupid and he may have paid for it with his life.

Mr. Tennessee

That Crazy Linux Guy
Utopia Moderator
While watching that, I kept thinking the #45 was going to hit him and then #14 was going to clean up the hit.

Tony still should of been the better man and avoided letting his anger get to him. After both got out of the car/track, that's is when they should then go beat each other bloody and call it a day.

Now...we have some kid probably dead, A guys career (probably) ruined and will (probably) face some kind of manslaughter/murder charge, a race team probably destroyed because of the owners actions and a severe black mark on the sport.

EDIT: I hope it was an accident and that my first impressions of what all occurred are wrong.

Last edited: