• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Wolfman21

Larson is talented as 40 hells, he just uses up his equipment too easily. I get that he likes to drive on the edge and up near the wall and it makes everyone say "wow, look at him do that!"...but if you do that for 200, 300, 400 laps at some of these tracks...your car is gonna give way.

He rode the wall in the Nationwide series at Darlington, hes gotten into the wall in numerous other occasions riding up there when he didn't need to(Chicagoland just last week for instance). Again, hes talented and i like him...but hes gonna have to figure out that it may be better to tone the wall riding down a little and keep his equipment under him.

Bdub

Larson is a great talent, he just needs to learn its better to go 95% and finish the race instead of 100% and crash out.

gilstein21

Larson is a great talent, he just needs to learn its better to go 95% and finish the race instead of 100% and crash out.

that was definitely the deal last night and he made reference to it in the post race interview. But he wasn't really racing for anything but fun and a trophy last night. I think it's something he'll learn though after some of the great cars he's had this season and the finishes due to him not running the smartest race.

gilstein21

Penske trying to form an Australian SuperCar team and wants Ambrose to drive it. If he leaves NASCAR, who should Petty get to fill the seat? Hornish?

Wolfman21

Lineup set for the Nationwide Race today at 4:00 EST in Indy.

1. Kyle Busch
2. Matt Kenseth
3. Ty Dillon
4. Kevin Harvick
5. Chase Elliott
6. Joey Logano
7. Regan Smith
8. Chris Buescher
9. Paul Menard
10. Brian Scott
11. Trevor Bayne
12. Elliott Sadler

Wolfman21

lol, I think you mean starting in the Top 6....lol

I'm not sure what people want in regards to this nationwide series. I frequent a few different message boards about racing and in the races I've watched this season these are the reactions I've seen:

1. With Sprint Cup Guys: "Ugh, forget Nationwide, its unwatchable with the sprint cup guys dominating every race."
2. Without Sprint Cup Guys: "Ugh, the racing is terrible, the track is terrible, I can't watch this."

For me, I enjoy seeing how Elliott, Dillon, Buescher, Larson etc. stack up against these Sprint Cup guys. The races at Texas and Darlington that Chase won were THAT much more special because he beat the Busch, Harvick, Logano, Kenseth's of the world.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I remember watching the Busch Series and seeing races where there was very little involvement from the top series. The main reason was the Busch Series used V6 not V8 engines so a "200 to 250 miles test session" couldn't be run by the bigger top series teams. As NASCAR went through the 90s, the cars in Busch Series and Cup Series became more and more the same. Then, the big teams jumped into the races for the "200 to 250 mile test session." Finally, when Dale Earnhardt Sr. died and Kevin Harvick stepped into his ride and drove in both in series, more Cup drivers and teams started to run full seasons in the Busch Series.

Now that the toothpaste has been let out of the tube, there's no going back. There's too much money, broadcast rights, etc. to go back the original concept with different cars and running at smaller tracks in front of smaller crowds with drivers trying to race their way into the big time.

I'll watch the few Busch races where the Cup drivers aren't there. If I want to watch the Cup drivers, I'll watch them on Sunday.

Wolfman21

well, like i said, in my opinion, i'm all for it. It brings more sponsors and eyes that normally wouldn't be in/watch the series. It also allows fans to see how the young guns measure up against the Sprint Cup guys. We know that Chase Elliott and Kyle Larson are gonna be special because they're racing against and beating the Sprint Cup guys already.

But, I know that is my opinion and its not a very popular one in the hardcore race fan constituent.

Wolfman21

So Kyle Busch has led 143 of the 200 laps that he has raced in a NNS car at the Brickyard.

Well, lets see whos racing for 2nd today.

Wolfman21

a no talent hack wins at a track where you have to barely let out of the throttle. Add this one to Regan Smith's win at Daytona and Elliott Sadler's win at Talladega.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I know you don't like him for some reason, but that was a heck of a drive. And you're out of the throttle quite a bit at Indy. That's why the average lap is slower than Daytona/Talladega.

Iron

I think Ty is better than Austin honestly. I could see him being more successful in NASCAR.

I don't mind NW going to Indy, but at least give a date back to IRP.

gilstein21

ya nationwide is much better at IRP. Sprint would be too, or just skip indy all together. History, but it sucks for this series.

Iron

Also thank goodness ESPN airs qualifying for Cup live. It's kinda silly that FS1's coverage ends up being 30-40 minutes behind by the end of their broadcast.

Iron

Also the 4 and the 24 are probably going to be the class of the field tomorrow. 4 tenths faster than anyone else in qualifying. 1-2 in all rounds of qualifying as well.

gilstein21

Edwards is out. Should hear an announcement on his new team soon, since Jack is talking.

Carl Edwards will not be a part of the Roush Fenway Racing driver lineup for 2015, according to team officials.
Team co-owner Jack Roush announced the organization's NASCAR Sprint Cup Series lineup here at Indianapolis Motor Speedway today where teams are competing in the Crown Royal presents, The John Wayne Walding 400 at the Brickyard (1 p.m. ET, ESPN).
That roster will consist of veteran Greg Biffle and Ricky Stenhouse Jr., both of whom currently compete in Sprint Cup for RFR, as well as 2014 Nationwide Series regular Trevor Bayne.

Wolfman21

awesome battle for the lead.......cut to commercial. That is the problem with NASCAR these days....television. It SUCKS compared to what it used to be.

Iron

Drive for five pt 2: get a "fifth" title, finally.

If we could only go back in time and stop the Chase, we'd be hearing about how Gordon is on his way to a 7th title right now.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Ryan Blaney to take Trevor Bayne's spot in the #21 Wood Bros. Ford next season. Not a bad choice.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
You don't stay in business as long as Wood Bros. have by making poor business decisions.

Iron

Yup, and Jimmie would only have 2 or 3.

3. Johnson would have '06 in both, in non-chase by 4 pts (so one position). Lose '07 to Gordon (who has it wrapped up with 2-3 weeks left in season), lose '08 to Edwards by 3 positions on track. '09 he wins both. '10 Harvick (who has it wrapped up with 2-3 weeks left in season). '13 he won both.

Iron

Oh look, Brad Keselowski for some reason is at Iowa and stinks up the NW race at Iowa. If no Brad, we would have seen McDowell barely edging Bayne and Scott for his first NASCAR win. But nope!

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Did Chase take 4 tires on that last stop? If so, that crew chief isn't as smart as I thought he was.

Only Cup driver in the field wins. Yawn.

Wolfman21

Yes he did. Greg Ives has fucked up a lot this year. Ran chase outta gas twice, multiple times he has made 4 tire calls when others took 2 and cost him. Chase consistently took a car restarting 8th-10th into the top 5 tonight. His crew continued to screw him all night. All season long. If chase doesn't win the championship, his crew will be to blame. As a driver, he has been the best, most consistent in the series this season, bar none.

Iron

The real question is why Blaney wasn't in the 22? If they can fly Brad from Pocono, at least send Blaney out there. At least the 54 didn't send Busch otherwise we'd have had a real stinker at a great track.

Technically McDowell is a Cup driver as well, but he had one decent Cup chance when he was with MWR when they were missing races every other week in 2007. Who knows what even a NW win would have done for him.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Yes he did. Greg Ives has fucked up a lot this year. Ran chase outta gas twice, multiple times he has made 4 tire calls when others took 2 and cost him. Chase consistently took a car restarting 8th-10th into the top 5 tonight. His crew continued to screw him all night. All season long. If chase doesn't win the championship, his crew will be to blame. As a driver, he has been the best, most consistent in the series this season, bar none.
I mean, really. 4 tires with 3 to go on a short tack. GTFO. 2 may not win, but starting on the front row w/ 2 tires> starting in row 4 with 4 tires.