• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Iron

LMAO at today's ARCA race. Kyle Larson was in it since he's never raced at Pocono and basically laps the field under green (35-40 second lead), gets a pit road penalty under green, serves it, and still retains the lead.

To no one's surprise, Larson won.

gilstein21

the last restart made it a little interesting. The #98 held his ground on the outside in the corners as long as he could.

gilstein21

Brad caught Dani at a bad part of the track to try and clean his grill, plus it looked like she slowed quite a bit to let them go by. Oh well, Jr wins.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
First multi-win season for Junior in a long time.

Wow, 2004 was his last multi-win year. 6 wins that season.

He's had 10 top 5s in each of the last two seasons, he's got 7 already and we're not even halfway through the season. Good year for Jr. Definitely would like to see him win the title as well. Pretty much wouldn't mind seeing anyone win besides Vanilla, Kyle Busch, and Hamlin.

Iron

Harvick ran a 204.557mph in qualifying for his third pole of the year. Had 6 poles in 12 years at RCR, now 3 in 14 races.

Wolfman21

Looking forward to the Nationwide race today. Chase Elliott was 4th in both practices yesterday...the only Nationwide only driver to be in the top 5 in both practices. Paul Menard is driving the #33 for RCR and he was crazy fast...2 tenths faster than the rest of the field in both practices. I expect the cup regulars to be up front all day. Hoping Chase can pull out another Top 5...he needs to keep reeling those off to sneak back into this points race.

Iron

Things I don't get about NNS: 1. Why Sam Hornish isn't in a JGR car full time. 1st, 2nd, 5th in his three starts. 2. How Ryan Sieg doesn't have any sponsors. Ryan Sieg continues to finish on the lead lap week after week with an unsponsored car and beats top teams.

Wolfman21

Pit Strategy won the day. Three fastest cars finished 5th, 6th, 8th because they had to take 4 tires on the last stop.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Won fantasy nascar this week, ran all 3 Penske cars plus Harvick. At one point near the end, I had Harvick, Keselowski and Logano 1-2-3, and Montoya was 11th. Too bad a rainstorm didn't break out.

Wolfman21

Seems like Jimmie Johnson has broken out of that "funk" that everyone was stammering so hard about after 7 whole races to begin the season...lol. Whats that, 3 out of the last 4?

Wolfman21

A little right turning this weekend. Nationwide at Road America in cheese country and Sprint Cup at Sonoma in wine country. Whoever said NASCAR fans couldn't be a wine and cheese crowd?

Go #9!

Iron

Yep, first time in 6 years

Think Tagliani is gonna have this one in the bag if it keeps raining like this.

Iron

Road America thoughts/spoilers:

Brendan Gaughan wins at Road America. Yeah, seriously.

Kevin O'Connell (who?) in a normally 30th place machine nearly wins the whole thing.

JJ Yeley, in an old Penske Dodge finishes 5th. 6 underfunded teams finish in the top 10, and Matt DiBendetto's plain black Chevy finishes 11th - so 7 out of 11.

Tagliani runs out of gas under yellow before the GWC, comes and gets non rain tires, restarts 23rd and ends up finishing 2nd. Where is his in-car camera? His last lap was 5 seconds faster than anyone else.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Road America thoughts/spoilers:

Tagliani runs out of gas under yellow before the GWC, comes and gets non rain tires, restarts 23rd and ends up finishing 2nd. Where is his in-car camera? His last lap was 5 seconds faster than anyone else.

This. If this race was one lap longer, Tagliani wins by a lot.

Iron

This. If this race was one lap longer, Tagliani wins by a lot.

If he didn't have to go to tail end of longest line for pitting too soon, he probably would have won as he would have restarted four-five rows closer.

Can't believe more teams didn't try normal tires...

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
I was really hoping for the track to dry up with 10 or so to go and see what would have happened had guys pitted and not ran out of gas keeping it green till the end.

gilstein21

when I saw his car up at the front, I was like "thought he restarted 23rd." He was motoring. Elliott made a good move to get the lead, but he over drove a few corners to lose the lead. He probably still would have been passed or wrecked though.

Wolfman21

Tagliani went to the front because he had on slicks that ARE much faster than rain tires. He also hit half the cars he passed, which makes passing a good bit easier when you just knock them out of the way. Hella proud of Chase Elliott though. Absolutely no practice, first time on this course in the nationwide cars, rain and all and he pulls out a Top 4.

Iron

Ratings for Sonoma actually up on TNT slightly over last year. Only third race to do so this year.

Iron

Looks like BK Racing entered with Mike Bliss and the #93 this morning. Fully expect them to park it.

I'll also be at the race.

goblue96

Looks like BK Racing entered with Mike Bliss and the #93 this morning. Fully expect them to park it.

I'll also be at the race.

Wonder how much France and Co. are paying them to show up and start-and-park just so the field can have 43 cars.

Iron

What's weird is that there were 48 entries for NW this weekend for 40 spots. And 0 of them are named Drew Herring, Johanna Long or Jeb Burton.

Iron

Wonder how much France and Co. are paying them to show up and start-and-park just so the field can have 43 cars.

43rd paid $53,200 LY. Similar thing happened last year at Kentucky - #44 team showed up to make a full field and parked after 5 laps.

Iron

Nope JK. #44 team withdrew about an hour ago it seems. Back to 42.

So when does Front Row unload a backup and slap a 35 on it and collect the money?

goblue96

Or for someone to cut a deal with Ty Dillon or Chase Elliott to run a back up car with some random number slapped on it.

Iron

John Wes Townley withdrew from the Nationwide race as team used the practice sessions yesterday as a "test session" .. is that a first?

Bdub

What a joke. When your series can't even get enough cars to field a full race you got problems.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Time to get some new tires for the truck. You can bet your ass I won't be getting Goodyear Wranglers. I'll drive that shit on the rims before I buy any of their garbage.

Iron

Weirdest first two rows of a Sprint Cup race ever? David Gilliland and Reed Sorenson will lead the field to the green at Daytona, with Landon Cassill and Bobby Labonte (in Circle Sport's 33) in the second row.

Wolfman21

As a Chase Elliott fan....superspeedways are a nightmare. Dude runs up front all race and then something dicks it up at the end.

Daytona 1 - Starts on outside row in like 8th for GWC...immediately falls back to 15th.
Talladega - Starts in the lead with 8 to go, chooses outside row...immediately falls back to like 6th before Ryan Blaney goes all kamikaze on the entire field and scrapes him to finish 19th.
Daytona 2 - Runs 2nd for a majority of the race...runs out of fuel with 3 to go on restart. Finishes 20th.

goblue96

Rained last night before the Busch race. Raining again tonight.

There's a reason why the Firecracker 400 was always run at 10 am.